4x4
    '14 Grand Cherokee, '01 F350
    User Name
    Bob
    Real Name
    Bob
    Thanks Given

Default Recommendations on Garage Air Compressor

After 25 years I must finally replace my Craftsman 15 gallon oil-less air compressor.

The heaviest use case I have is blowing out our drip irrigation and sprinkler system once a year which takes a lot of volume at 40 PSI, using a secondary regulator. Other than that just typical garage/shop use like occasional tire fills, impact wrench, impact chisel, blowing debris out of things, etc. No paint or other spraying.

The Craftsman compressor was not really adequate in airflow for tools at 90 PSI, so I could use one step up but not something really expensive, maybe all I need is one with a larger tank. It doesn’t need to be portable and I have 120V or 240V available (I set the Craftsman up for 240V).

What brands/models would you recommend that wouldn’t break the bank but would last for years with my use?

Last Online
    November 3rd, 2023
    4x4
    84 CJ8
    User Name
    Spieg
    Real Name
    Brian
    Thanks Given

Default Re: Recommendations on Garage Air Compressor

I've had an inexpensive Porter Cable upright (6 HP, 135 PSI, 25 gallon tank) for years. Has about the same footprint as one of those "pancake" compressors, but enough reserve to run some pretty demanding air tools. It's on wheels too so easy to move if needed.

3. The Following Member Says Thanks to Spieg For This Post:

Bob (November 8th, 2018)

Last Online
    41 Minutes Ago
    4x4
    2008 Jeep Rubicon
    User Name
    Jackie
    Real Name
    Jackie
    Thanks Given

X2 on a Porter Cable. We bought one 6+ years ago for about a $100 and it is still going strong. We used it to install about 1,000 sq, ft. of hardwood flooring in our old house as well as framing and complete finishing of our 900 sq. ft. basement. We plan on using it to install hardwood in our current house too. It's light and easy to move. My husband built a little table for it to sit on in the garage. (He sunk holes in the table-top for the compressor legs to fit in to avoid "dancing") and we use it to air up tires and other misc. things all the time. Great buy for the money.

5. The Following Member Says Thanks to Jackie For This Post:

Bob (November 8th, 2018)

Last Online
    23 Hours Ago
    4x4
    1970CJ5 1958WillysWagon
    User Name
    FINOCJ
    Real Name
    James Orofino
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,588 Times in 965 Posts

I have a 20gal Husky unit (120V)...its goes up to 150psi and runs the 90psi tools with no problem - if you don't need lots of continous flow at that pressure it will work great. I don't use it a lot - as in every day - but when I do use it, I am often using it for a lot of hours have to refill the tank quite frequently. I often go over the duty cycle quite a bit and so far its been great for the last 5-6 years. My only complaint is the compressor motor is only 1.5hp - so its a bit slow filling it all the way back up to 150 psi, and like most oil-less units, it is a bit noisy. The 1.5hp unit (5.0sqfm at 40 psi and 4.0sqfm at 90psi) is pretty standard for 120V, but I'd probably go a bit bigger motor if I had easy set-up for 240V.

7. The Following Member Says Thanks to FINOCJ For This Post:

Bob (November 9th, 2018)

Last Online
    August 19th, 2021
    4x4
    1992 Range Rover Classic
    User Name
    Swank1975
    Real Name
    Mike
    Thanks Given

I have a 60 gallon Campbell one from Lowes I purchased just over 6 years ago. It's nice to fill the compressor up to like 140 PSI then regulate it down for blow out. I even have a neighbor across the culdesac that I help with blow out. I just go through all zones 2 times about 3 minutes per zone and don't have any issues. Just blowing air by the end. The extra pressure and volume helps when using 1/2" impact driver. I did get a great deal as a co-worker had a part time job at Lowes and we purchased it through him for his discount.

9. The Following Member Says Thanks to Swank1975 For This Post:

Bob (November 13th, 2018)

Last Online
    December 6th, 2023
    4x4
    '14 Grand Cherokee, '01 F350
    User Name
    Bob
    Real Name
    Bob
    Thanks Given

Thanks for the comments everyone. After looking around I got a compressor from Lowe’s that I think will meet all my needs. It’s a 26 gallon 150 psi upright that’s also pretty quiet and the build quality looks very good. Here’s a link in case anyone else following along is interested.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Kobalt-QUIE...sor/1000405189

I also replaced an old 10 gallon portable air tank that had a leaky valve and only went to 125 psi so it could have been dangerous with this new compressor if I didn’t pay attention when filling. I also got it at Lowe’s, a 7 gallon 165 psi model. There are cheaper ones around but this one had a nice input/output manifold built in and also a drain valve. The lack of a drain valve on these portable tanks always bugged me so that was a plus.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Kobalt-Mult...-Tank/50126548

11. The Following Member Says Thanks to Bob For This Post:

FINOCJ (November 12th, 2018)

Last Online
    1 Day Ago
    4x4
    91 Jeep Cherokee
    User Name
    JandDGreens
    Real Name
    David
    Thanks Given

I have been using a craftsman air compressor for a very long time. It has a 33 gal. tank we call it the hammer head. (Oiless) Went to start blowing out irrigation systems and it turned out that the piston ring gave out. So I went to Harbor freight and bought a pretty nice for about $150 on sale. I am pretty impressed with it so far. It is a oil bathed style so cold weather starts are a little rougher. It did take a little longer to blow out the zones but it got-er done.

But the nice thing about the old hammer head is it is pretty simple and the new top end for it was only $35 so I'll be fixen it soon.

My next compressor is going to be a regular shop compressor, there is one at homi-d's I have been eyeing. It's a 60 gallon Husky I think.