'20 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Recon
    User Name
    TNTJ05
    Real Name
    Erik & Maria
    Thanks Given

Default Re: This weekend???

Getaklu previously posted:
    "I think the scree and rock hill is the hardest. This is the one you get to by going past the mine following the trail down into the woods and not crossing the creek."

I agree, that's a steep hill and it's super loose. Buddy got hung up on the left side (tree root) and when attempting to back down and go up the right, he got sideways and buried. Luckily he's winched so was able to get moving up hill again. Momentum is your friend on that one.

Last Online
    December 23rd, 2023
    4x4
    2006 Jeep LJ
    User Name
    Java
    Real Name
    Paul
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,788 Times in 1,261 Posts

That section was more difficult today than the first big hill, but it doesn't look like it would be when you're on it. The rocks are smaller but a lot looser. Adam had to work it out with that root today too, but he stopped and picked another line before he got hung up on it, crawled the rocks around it and got up.

Last Online
    June 24th, 2022
    4x4
    2001 TJ
    User Name
    Tazer
    Real Name
    James
    Thanks Given

So whats the plan for this weekend? Are we hitting the trail Saturday or Sunday?

Id like to get out Saturday if at all possible.

Last Online
    5 Hours Ago
    4x4
    1970CJ5 1958WillysWagon
    User Name
    FINOCJ
    Real Name
    James Orofino
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,602 Times in 972 Posts

TNTJ05 previously posted:
    "I agree, that's a steep hill and it's super loose. Buddy got hung up on the left side (tree root) and when attempting to back down and go up the right, he got sideways and buried. Luckily he's winched so was able to get moving up hill again. Momentum is your friend on that one."

Wondering how long the FS is going to allow that section to stay as is...its going to continue to get chewed up more and more as the old route that was always used (crossing the creek at the silver creek mine) is not officially on the MVUM and is for private land access. For lack of a better way to put it, the steep loose hill is kind of a high impact section of trail its not very sustainable as is, and could develop into a bad erosion zone - I worry that it will eventually be closed off. Chris and I chatted with Brant at the USFS during our clean-up and as he is aware of it...I believe one of the Toyota clubs adopts that trail. If needed, i would be happy to help out the club with doing whatever trail maintenance is needed to ensure it stays open. Otherwise, the only option that will be left after the initial pickle gulch climb will be to go straight ahead at the 4way which will also bring you up to the high spot/viewpoint/mini-pass that goes over to Apex.

Last Online
    December 23rd, 2023
    4x4
    2006 Jeep LJ
    User Name
    Java
    Real Name
    Paul
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,788 Times in 1,261 Posts

That section has two parallel routes that are 5 to 20 feet apart the whole way. I was last in line, everyone else went left and I went right to get video of them. The only challenge I had on that side aside from loose / uphill was staying out of a rut; they could easily just block off the left side with the big tree root sticking up and leave the right side open. I think also dropping a large rock infront of the root would do it too; however when Adam avoided the root on his passenger side he had to crawl a large rock on his driver's side. If they did that you'd have to crawl both simultaneously, which would be dooable but would test your breakover angle once you did. It's a big root with a hole infront of it that is likely to get deeper fast as people spin tires there. I think blocking that side would be the way to go.

Last Online
    6 Days Ago
    4x4
    2008 Jeep Rubicon
    User Name
    Jackie
    Real Name
    Jackie
    Thanks Given

Tazer previously posted:
    "So whats the plan for this weekend? Are we hitting the trail Saturday or Sunday?

Id like to get out Saturday if at all possible."

James - You might want to make this post in the "Trail Run Planning" thread if you are referring to Oct. 27th or 28th. Folks may not see it here. (I, for one, might be interested in a Sunday run).

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12