4x4
    Fj40
    User Name
    White Stripe
    Real Name
    Michael
    Thanks Given

Default How to wire factory heated seats

So I got some seats for my 80 series that are from a 2013 es350. I bought them online. I assumed the heated seats would be a simple 2 wire heating pad. But these are 3 wire pads. I was told they are likely pulse width modulated. Anyone know how I can wire these up to work? Or is it easier to install aftermarket heating pad kits?? Thanks for any help u can offer.

Last Online
    6 Hours Ago
    4x4
    1990 Jeep Wrangler (YJ)
    User Name
    Jim
    Real Name
    Jim Williamson
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 3,008 Times in 2,005 Posts

Default Re: How to wire factory heated seats

I went searching for a wiring schematic for an "2013 ES 350" and came up empty. That would be where I'd start (unless someone pops up here with good info!).

EDIT: If you are looking for a nice temp controller, I recommend (and use) Warm-n-Safe products:
    https://getwarm.com/collections/heat-troller

Last Online
    9 Hours Ago
    4x4
    '12 Jeep Wrangler Sport 2.5" lift, 33s, winch
    User Name
    Tom
    Real Name
    Tom
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,234 Times in 933 Posts

Link to an es350 wiring diagram but you have to register.

http://flyvpn.co/lexus-es350-wiring-diagram.html

looks like they have a heat and cool option. They appear to have a variable input voltage to control the amount of heat / cool

Last Online
    August 12th, 2021
    4x4
    Fj40
    User Name
    White Stripe
    Real Name
    Michael
    Thanks Given

I have a wiring diagram, but this diagram confuses me. I will try and post it up tomorrow. I got the seat cooling to work. Which is most important to me, but might as well get the heaters to work too.

Last Online
    August 12th, 2021
    4x4
    Fj40
    User Name
    White Stripe
    Real Name
    Michael
    Thanks Given

Last Online
    August 12th, 2021
    4x4
    Fj40
    User Name
    White Stripe
    Real Name
    Michael
    Thanks Given

Last Online
    August 12th, 2021
    4x4
    Fj40
    User Name
    White Stripe
    Real Name
    Michael
    Thanks Given

So I guess I don't understand what the square wave in the diagrams means. I know the zig zag means resistor.

Last Online
    6 Hours Ago
    4x4
    1990 Jeep Wrangler (YJ)
    User Name
    Jim
    Real Name
    Jim Williamson
    Thanks Given

I take the square wave as the heating element. Odd, but it seems they also have some resistance built into the circuit too??

The schematic portion of the seat heating pad is vague. "the block" shows Power-in (Green), Ground (White-Black), and Control (Purple). We see wire routing inside the seat and wire routing "to" the seat but there's a missing void between the two that might connect the circuit of how solid positive power and control interact.

Guess 1: Solid power in is used to activate a "person present" (there's a person sitting in the seat) circuit with a pressure switch / relay (that small I - beam item on the heating circuit). Once the person present circuit is happy it is then capable of passing controlled power to the heating elements - either with pulse width modulated control or via variable resistor control. In this case, I should think you could give the seat 12vDC, 100% on positive power to Green and Purple and ground to White-Black. With pressure on the seat, closing the "there's a person here, warm the seat up", it should get hot.

From there, you'll want to "control" how much power goes into the heating elements (via purple) so that you don't get uncomfortably hot.

EDIT:

Guess 2: Leave Green disconnected. Supply 12vDC power to Purple and Ground to White-black. Sit on the seat to activate a pressure switch / person present - and see if it warms up. If yes, Green is not needed / I don't know what it is for. Again, modulate / control power input on Purple to not have 100% heating.

I started to draw the schematic (edit from the screen shot) and I scratch my head as to what the item on the far right (in the seat) is. The I-beam I take as person present switch / circuit completion for heating.

As an aside, looking at the controller circuit - something you don't have (I assume) - it looks like the controller circuit has On/Off toggle and when on there's an LED giving off illumination to indicate ON status and that the heating control has only two positions - Low and High.

Have you decided on how you wish to control heat amount to the seat? The heat trollers could work (but a bit pricey) or you could make an 555 timer circuit with a rheostat.
    http://www.555-timer-circuits.com/

Last Online
    November 3rd, 2023
    4x4
    84 CJ8
    User Name
    Spieg
    Real Name
    Brian
    Thanks Given

N/M

Last Online
    August 12th, 2021
    4x4
    Fj40
    User Name
    White Stripe
    Real Name
    Michael
    Thanks Given

Jim previously posted:
    "I take the square wave as the heating element. Odd, but it seems they also have some resistance built into the circuit too??

The schematic portion of the seat heating pad is vague. "the block" shows Power-in (Green), Ground (White-Black), and Control (Purple). We see wire routing inside the seat and wire routing "to" the seat but there's a missing void between the two that might connect the circuit of how solid positive power and control interact.

Guess 1: Solid power in is used to activate a "person present" (there's a person sitting in the seat) circuit with a pressure switch / relay (that small I - beam item on the heating circuit). Once the person present circuit is happy it is then capable of passing controlled power to the heating elements - either with pulse width modulated control or via variable resistor control. In this case, I should think you could give the seat 12vDC, 100% on positive power to Green and Purple and ground to White-Black. With pressure on the seat, closing the "there's a person here, warm the seat up", it should get hot.

From there, you'll want to "control" how much power goes into the heating elements (via purple) so that you don't get uncomfortably hot.

EDIT:

Guess 2: Leave Green disconnected. Supply 12vDC power to Purple and Ground to White-black. Sit on the seat to activate a pressure switch / person present - and see if it warms up. If yes, Green is not needed / I don't know what it is for. Again, modulate / control power input on Purple to not have 100% heating.

I started to draw the schematic (edit from the screen shot) and I scratch my head as to what the item on the far right (in the seat) is. The I-beam I take as person present switch / circuit completion for heating.

As an aside, looking at the controller circuit - something you don't have (I assume) - it looks like the controller circuit has On/Off toggle and when on there's an LED giving off illumination to indicate ON status and that the heating control has only two positions - Low and High.

Have you decided on how you wish to control heat amount to the seat? The heat trollers could work (but a bit pricey) or you could make an 555 timer circuit with a rheostat.
    http://www.555-timer-circuits.com/"

So are u fairly certain about the "I" being person present? I have the leather partially peeled back off of the foam at the front of the lower cushion. I have connected power to green and ground to ground on my jumper box with nothing happening. But I didn't sit in the seat. Could the person present contact actually be in the heating pad? Thanks for your help by the way. Haven't gotten into control too much yet. Waiting till I can get the pads to actually work first.

Last Online
    6 Hours Ago
    4x4
    1990 Jeep Wrangler (YJ)
    User Name
    Jim
    Real Name
    Jim Williamson
    Thanks Given

I still question the circuit (see attached image).

What is known:
    1) Green - power
    2) White-Black - ground

Questions
    A) Purple - what is this? Control? Is it positive voltage into the seat or grounding out from the seat?
    B) Is "Item 1" a person present switch that if a person is not sitting on the seat it won't heat (and perhaps overheat?)?
    C) What is "Item 2"???

Last Online
    August 12th, 2021
    4x4
    Fj40
    User Name
    White Stripe
    Real Name
    Michael
    Thanks Given

I figured it out. The pressure switch threw me off. I jumped the pressure switch hooked up power to the pads, and they heated up. Thanks for your help. Now I need to figure out switches but that's not as big of a deal.

13. The Following 2 Members Say Thanks to White Stripe For This Post:

Jim (October 12th, 2018),Tom (October 12th, 2018)