1970CJ5 1958WillysWagon
    User Name
    FINOCJ
    Real Name
    James Orofino
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,588 Times in 965 Posts

Default Headlamps NSF vs CAPA vs OEM

What you guys think about the various certifications for headlights? I am looking to replace the ones on my Tacoma (cracked and fogged cover assemblies), and trying to decide if its worth the extra money for the different certifications. I understand NSF is supposedly a minimum standard for production quality, and CAPA is supposedly a higher standard for OEM replacement fitment. But of course, many suggest its not much more than a sticker - especially when its the same brand.

In my case, from Rock Auto, standard economy replacement is about $36, NSF is $45 and CAPA is about $80. Of course, parts store guys have warned me in the past that many of the aftermarket headlamp assemblies have issues with condensation, the lens fog over in a couple years and getting them aimed correctly can be troublesome. Not to mention I would probably replace the included bulbs with some higher output Sylvania. At the same time, dealership costs for these is $306 per assembly, so I can pay for these a few times over. I replaced one a few years ago with OEM from dealership - perfect until in got smacked again...hard to justify that much again.

thanks

Last Online
    2 Hours Ago
    4x4
    1990 Jeep Wrangler (YJ)
    User Name
    Jim
    Real Name
    Jim Williamson
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 3,008 Times in 2,005 Posts

Default Re: Headlamps NSF vs CAPA vs OEM

1) Don't have an answer to your question.

2) Any option for glass instead of plastic for the outside material? If yes, I'd go that route.

Last Online
    18 Hours Ago
    4x4
    1970CJ5 1958WillysWagon
    User Name
    FINOCJ
    Real Name
    James Orofino
    Thanks Given

No glass option...New stuff. My nighttime winter travels through Montana and Wyoming are hard on front lights bumper and grill paint as well as windshields with the large gravel they throw down. But good lights help avoid the moose and elk etc....

Last Online
    2 Hours Ago
    4x4
    03 Ranger FX4
    User Name
    The StRanger
    Real Name
    Sam
    Thanks Given

Headlamps are like windshields
    If they last more than a couple years. It's a amazing....

Last Online
    18 Hours Ago
    4x4
    1970CJ5 1958WillysWagon
    User Name
    FINOCJ
    Real Name
    James Orofino
    Thanks Given

Well, I went with the NSF certified ones from Rock Auto...the fit and finish is fine - the light out put is TBD. It takes some time to figure out how take the grill and most of the front bumper off...but I got the new ones switched in. I don't have a great place to check alignment - my driveway is steeply sloped - so I found a reasonable mall parking lot with a wall one night...The light seems plenty bright, but the spread is not even - it has some bright and dark spots that are a bit annoying. I may eventually put new Sylvania bulbs in...but I am guessing the bright and dark interference pattern has more to do with the reflector than the bulb. We'll see how long the covers stay clear and whether moisture builds up on the inside. At the price I paid compared to OEM - I am happy so far, even if they only last 2-3 years. I could have just polished the covers, but given the en-echelon cracks it seemed like it was time to replace. New from the dealer...all three lights would have cost close to $800 - from RA it was about $190 (shipped)....I can replace them in a few years for that cost....

Before:

After:

While I was at it, I got a rear tail light replacement as well - this one was initially cracked when my wife dropped a MTB off the bed, and was finished off when a long bed ford truck tried squeezing into a tight parking space next to me. Since it was already cracked I told the driver not to worry about it.

Last Online
    April 21st, 2021
    4x4
    2004 Jeep LJ
    User Name
    Brian
    Real Name
    Brian
    Thanks Given

Looks good!

7. The Following Member Says Thanks to Brian For This Post:

FINOCJ (September 28th, 2018)

Last Online
    January 2nd, 2019
    4x4
    TJ
    User Name
    GPP33
    Real Name
    Pete
    Thanks Given

I put some ebays on my dodge a few years ago, same bright and dark spot complaint but $80 for both was hard to beat and it’s not like the OEM lights from Dodge were any good anyway.

Last Online
    18 Hours Ago
    4x4
    1970CJ5 1958WillysWagon
    User Name
    FINOCJ
    Real Name
    James Orofino
    Thanks Given

GPP33 previously posted:
    "$80 for both was hard to beat"

pretty much how I feel - I have driven for a few weeks now including some night drives and they seem to work quite well. I thought the Toyota OEM headlights were great, and these are probably 90% of those, so for 20% cost of OEM from dealership, I'll take it. The brightness is good, but the beam spread is a bit inconsistent. I did the fog light override, so I can run both hi/low beams with fog lights - so if absolutely necessary I can use the extra light. Rant on - Then there is the F250 or whatnot following me home down I-70 last night with his Halogen or HID headlights, fog lights and LED auxiliary lights on...probably overkill on a busy section of I-70 - Rant -Off.

Last Online
    January 2nd, 2019
    4x4
    TJ
    User Name
    GPP33
    Real Name
    Pete
    Thanks Given

FINOCJ previously posted:
    "pretty much how I feel - I have driven for a few weeks now including some night drives and they seem to work quite well. I though the Toyota OEM headlights were great, and these are probably 90% of those, so for 20% cost of OEM from dealership, I'll take it. The brightness is good, but the beam spread is a bit inconsistent. I did the fog light override, so I can run both hi/low beams with fog lights - so if absolutely necessary I can use the extra light. Rant on - Then there is the F250 or whatnot following me home down I-70 last night with his Halogen or HID headlights, fog lights and LED auxiliary lights on...probably overkill on a busy section of I-70 - Rant -Off."

I passed a guy the other day that had all of his fancy LED lights blaring. There was enough light being emitted form that jeep that I was seeing bright spots after he passed, and it was the middle of the day! I guess he had to justify his investment.