Tom
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,238 Times in 937 Posts

Default KML files for Avenza Maps.

A while back I converted all the trail gpx files for much of colorado

Here’s a link. Feel free to use.
    https://www.dropbox.com/sh/dhfzwqodw...Ly5wNDp9a?dl=0

2. The Following 3 Members Say Thanks to Tom For This Post:

Jim (September 16th, 2018),Schmitty (September 16th, 2018),Spieg (September 16th, 2018)

Last Online
    6 Hours Ago
    4x4
    1970CJ5 1958WillysWagon
    User Name
    FINOCJ
    Real Name
    James Orofino
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,602 Times in 972 Posts

Default Re: KML files for Avenza Maps.

Ok - I am trying to learn Avenza a bit. As many of you know I am pretty analog and paper map focused. But Avenza was used a lot this weekend as part of my avalanche course and many of the guides are recommending over my traditional Garmin GPS (I think mostly for the ability to overlay other information such as wind vector maps and to easily get slope angle shading).

So, how would I use these KML files - are they also an overlay that I need to import from my own device memory (after downloading them from here). There is a limit to the number of 'active' maps I can load from my collection (as opposed to from Avenza store) - do I have a limit with these overlays?

Last Online
    7 Hours Ago
    4x4
    '12 Jeep Wrangler Sport 2.5" lift, 33s, winch
    User Name
    Tom
    Real Name
    Tom
    Thanks Given

FINOCJ previously posted:
    "Ok - I am trying to learn Avenza a bit. As many of you know I am pretty analog and paper map focused. But Avenza was used a lot this weekend as part of my avalanche course and many of the guides are recommending over my traditional Garmin GPS (I think mostly for the ability to overlay other information such as wind vector maps and to easily get slope angle shading).

So, how would I use these KML files - are they also an overlay that I need to import from my own device memory (after downloading them from here). There is a limit to the number of 'active' maps I can load from my collection (as opposed to from Avenza store) - do I have a limit with these overlays?"

With the current versions of avenza when using the free version one can only import one personal map (maps not from the avenza store). That said all the Colorado Forest Service MVUMs are available for free from the avenza store, as are most topo maps and many others including Moab area. Then KML files are simply gpx tracks that overlay onto the maps.

The attached image is from a free avenza mvum. The yellow line and placemarks are the Yankee Hill kml overlay.
    one downloads the kml files directly in avenza.

I use dropbox for their storeage but one can also place them in a folder on the device itself.

Last Online
    6 Hours Ago
    4x4
    1970CJ5 1958WillysWagon
    User Name
    FINOCJ
    Real Name
    James Orofino
    Thanks Given

Okay - that is what I figured. Maybe its just temporary, but my free account allows 3 personal maps to be downloaded 'active'. I just don't want to use of up any of my personal map allowances using the KML files. I did find and download most all the free MVUMs I am interested in from the store and put them in their own folder. Now I am working some USGS topo maps...would be nice to overlay the MVUMs over the topos and put the KMLs on that as well. I am always frustrated the MVUMs don't have any topo features.

Last Online
    7 Hours Ago
    4x4
    User Name
    Tom
    Real Name
    Tom
    Thanks Given

James they may have changed it from one to three. When it first went commercial they only allowed one. Prior to that there was no limit. I don’t know of anyway to overlay maps. The kml files will overlay on topos though.

Last Online
    4 Hours Ago
    4x4
    1990 Jeep Wrangler (YJ)
    User Name
    Jim
    Real Name
    Jim Williamson
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 3,023 Times in 2,011 Posts

But the paid versions allow more than 1 or 3 user maps, no?

(I'm still on the old, unlimited version, thus will hold off upgrading unless y'all sway me for some new feature)

Last Online
    7 Hours Ago
    4x4
    User Name
    Tom
    Real Name
    Tom
    Thanks Given

Jim previously posted:
    "But the paid versions allow more than 1 or 3 user maps, no?

(I'm still on the old, unlimited version, thus will hold off upgrading unless y'all sway me for some new feature)"

Yes, but the paid version is really designed for companies that create their own maps for fleets of vehicles, etc. No need to pay if just using for wheeling.

9. The Following Member Says Thanks to Tom For This Post:

Jim (February 5th, 2019)

Last Online
    6 Hours Ago
    4x4
    1970CJ5 1958WillysWagon
    User Name
    FINOCJ
    Real Name
    James Orofino
    Thanks Given

Jim previously posted:
    "But the paid versions allow more than 1 or 3 user maps, no?

(I'm still on the old, unlimited version, thus will hold off upgrading unless y'all sway me for some new feature)"

and I can have more than 3 personal maps loaded into avenza and see them...they act like any digital image of a paper map...just can't use any of the interactive or location based 'smart' features (I.e. The blue dot).

Last Online
    March 7th, 2024
    4x4
    2021 Jeep Unlimited Rubicon Xtreme Recon
    User Name
    RockyMtRebel
    Real Name
    Matt
    Thanks Given

I have the Avenza app and I"ve downloaded probably 10 different maps..... I have all the MVUM maps for the areas I frequent and a few other topo and historical maps for fun. Not sure what you mean by being limited to 3 maps but like I said I have around 10 maps downloaded (however I do not use KML or whatever you guys are talking about). I'm also not very high-tech but I love this one because the blue dot shows where you are on the map as you use it.... which I love!

Last Online
    7 Hours Ago
    4x4
    User Name
    Tom
    Real Name
    Tom
    Thanks Given

RockyMtRebel previously posted:
    "I have the Avenza app and I"ve downloaded probably 10 different maps..... I have all the MVUM maps for the areas I frequent and a few other topo and historical maps for fun. Not sure what you mean by being limited to 3 maps but like I said I have around 10 maps downloaded (however I do not use KML or whatever you guys are talking about). I'm also not very high-tech but I love this one because the blue dot shows where you are on the map as you use it.... which I love!"

Matt,

The three maps being discussed are maps not downloaded from the avenza store. They are external maps ne installs. They have a limit for those unless one pay for the commercial license.

obtw James, I do not even have a personal account. I just use free maps so none is required .

Last Online
    6 Hours Ago
    4x4
    1970CJ5 1958WillysWagon
    User Name
    FINOCJ
    Real Name
    James Orofino
    Thanks Given

RockyMtRebel previously posted:
    "Not sure what you mean by being limited to 3 maps"

You can have maps on your computer that are not available from the Avenza store (or certainly not free from avenza store and I don't want to buy them again specifically for avenza) - these 'personal' maps can be loaded from your own digital storage (computer hard drive) into the avenza app (assuming they meet the correct file type) and they work in avenza. These are the type of maps that are limited to only 3 in the free version (based on when I signed up recently) - if you go beyond 3 personal maps, then only 3 are considered 'active' and work in avenza with all the features and functionality (as you say - most people want the active blue dot showing where they are). The 'inactive' maps will view fine on the screen, but there will not be any blue dot locator or ability to combine with overlays etc. For many of the 'personal' maps I am loading into avenza, I don't really need the 'active' functionality. In my previous life (career) as a geologist, it was my job to make a lot maps (many of them paper, then later digitally in corporate proprietary software) - so I am excited how easy it is to load these into avenza as pdf even if they are 'inactive'. Reduces some of the need to have paper versions of everything, as well as the loaded pdfs are better than jpeg photos (literally) of some of my paper maps. And if absolutely necessary, I can re-arrange which maps are 'active' so if I want the additional features of avenza to combine with the map it is possible. For lack of a better way to put it...when driving, its nice to have a blue dot, but for a lot of the other stuff I do, I could care less about the blue dot (and my little garmin etrex is also very helpful). I am just looking for a good way to have and organize digital maps on my phone/device that is easy to access and use without having to carry a large folder or map board full of maps. The fact that most MVUMs and USGS 7.5" topos are free from avenza store and come with unlimited use and full 'active' features, and thus don't count against my 'personal' 3 maps is superb!

14. The Following Member Says Thanks to FINOCJ For This Post:

Tom (February 5th, 2019)