August 6th, 2019
    4x4
    2000 Jeep Wrangler
    User Name
    Captain
    Real Name
    Kyle
    Thanks Given

Default Aussie Run! LOCATION CHANGED (see below)

11th Annual Aussie RunSaturday, August 11, 2018

OK, here we go again! The eleventh annual Aussie Run will be held on Saturday, August 11, 2018. We will be meeting at 9:00 am in Idaho Springs and run Loch Lomond and Chinns Lake, returning to Idaho Springs at the end of the day. If you want to go wheeling and have an empty seat or two, this is a fun event!

What is the Aussie Run?
    Well, as some of you know, I’m an elementary school teacher. In 2006, I participated in a teacher exchange to Australia. Basically, an Australian teacher and I swapped jobs and houses for a year. While my wife and I were there, we were constantly amazed at how people went out of their way to show us their favorite parts of that incredible country. When I got back, I vowed I would do the same thing for the Aussies on exchange to Colorado, and the Aussie Run was born. I got a few willing volunteers together (you awesome folks) who had a few empty seats in their rigs, piled in some teachers and their families, and had a great day wheeling in the Colorado mountains. I’ve been doing it annually ever since!

How does it work?
    I compile a list of volunteer drivers who have available seats in their rigs, and passengers who want to ride along. We meet in an easy-to-find place, match up passengers with drivers, and head out for the trails. It’s usually a full day with lunch on the trail, and returning to the meeting spot around 4pm. After that, people have often stopped for dinner or drinks on the way home, but that’s up to each individual.

Things to be aware of:
    Every year, we have had more empty seats than passengers. This is intentional, as unexpected things happen and it would be really disappointing for someone to drive up there and not get to go. Having a few extra seats also provides a safety margin in case a vehicle breaks down. What this means for drivers, however, is that you might be wheeling by yourself. Rest assured, though, that there will be time to meet and chat with the exchange teachers at the meeting spot, photo stops, lunch, and possibly dinner.
    If you do get a passenger, be prepared that they might not be Australian. I organize the passengers for this run through the Colorado International Teachers’ Exchange League (CITEL), and all members are invited. This means that the passengers may be teachers here in Colorado on exchange from another country (not always Australia, though the majority of exchange teachers are Aussies), or Colorado teachers who, like me, have been on an exchange in the past. I’m sure you’ll find that all of them are adventurous and thankful for your time and willingness to help out!
    Also, please be aware that this is NOT a hardcore wheeling run. Most of the passengers have never driven on anything more difficult than a dirt road before, and what may be a routine shelf road to you may be at the limit of their comfort zone. The emphasis is on conversation and having a good time in the mountains, not conquering a rock garden or avoiding a near-rollover. The safety of passengers and drivers is a priority at all times during this event.

How do I sign up?
    Simply message me with the following info:

• your real name (first is OK)
    • what you drive
    • how many empty seats you’ll have
    • a good cell phone number
    • email address

I’ll send you an email with a map to the meeting spot and any other information needed for the trip. I’ll also send my phone number so I can answer any questions you may have.

One more thing:
    THANKS. I could never say it enough. I cannot run this event without awesome people like you who want to share our beautiful backcountry with others, and are willing to do it without compensation of any kind other than a handshake and a smile. You rock!

Kyle

Last Online
    August 6th, 2019
    4x4
    2000 Jeep Wrangler
    User Name
    Captain
    Real Name
    Kyle
    Thanks Given

Default Re: Aussie Run! Sat. August 11, Radical Hill/Deer Creek/Saints J

We have a small group (5 rigs) and 8 passengers this year, so we decided to switch to Loch Lomond and Chinns Lake. Radical Hill was a mess a couple weeks ago, just really crowded, and it's likely to be busy on Saturday with good weather predicted! Great spot for lunch up at Loch Lomond, and if you're looking to scout backcountry campsites, Chinns has some good ones right off the trail. Both trails are scenic and easy.

We will be meeting in the parking lot behind Beau Jo's Pizza in Idaho Springs at 9:00am on Saturday. We'd love to have you join us! Please let me know if you're coming: reply here, PM me, or give me a call/text at 303-834-2186.