1990 Jeep Wrangler (YJ)
    User Name
    Jim
    Real Name
    Jim Williamson
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 3,008 Times in 2,005 Posts

Default 2018 Front Range 4x4 Anniversary Run - China Wall

What a nice day with a great group of people!

Slept late today. Heading out for a bit but I see no report so I'll start it off (more to post later today).

1) Dante / DSCowell lost the right front lower control arm going up the first hill. It's the aftermarket style with ends that thread into a tube. One of the ends, the threads into the tube failed and the end pulled out. A bummer of a day though quite fortunate it failed on the trail and not on the road at speed. A buddy from Greeley came down with a trailer.

2) As typical, ample food was available. The watermelon Jackie brought was delicious. It paired well with the iced, mini cupcakes.

3) This was a first - traveling out the north trailhead. In the end, I (and perhaps several others) traveled the main trail and north trail twice. The north trail is interesting / worth checking out. I'm awaiting to see the curious video Jackie captured of me at the rock...

4) A large group of ? 17 ? jeeps was there plus a group of three that seemed to trail the 17. The strangler obstacle became the bottleneck.

5) Stickers - from the stickers post in the vendors forum - the method to apply them is listed as:
    Jon says this for install:
    These are cut for external application. Simply lift the image off with the tape, lay down and squeegee on the exterior glass. Then remove the mask tape.

6) Airing up and the loud, startling air pop/hiss the jeep made. My on board air project is coming along and this was the first use after adding an air tank. Currently the system simply flows air from the compressor out an air hose that flows air even when not connected to a tire. I don't have a shut-off yet installed to stop the compressor when the system is at pressure (I simply turn the compressor off when the tire's full / I'm done using it). I recently added a one gallon air tank between the compressor and air hose. The tank has a cut-off switch for 110PSI (not yet connected) and a 150PSI pressure relief valve. I noticed that when shutting off the compressor, if it had been running for a minute or two, air would still be pushed out of the air hose - not expected as all air should have exited the hose when the compressor was running. Nope - it seems the compressor is capable of putting out more air / pressure than what the air hose can put into a tire. Air pressure built up in the tank (to 150PSI) and the pressure relief valve did what it's supposed to do - dump pressure in a loud, short event. Now I know that the compressor is capable of 150PSI and I should perhaps look into the air hose - is there an internal failure or restriction that should be removed?

2. The Following 2 Members Say Thanks to Jim For This Post:

Getaklu (June 25th, 2018),goSlo (June 25th, 2018)

Last Online
    9 Hours Ago
    4x4
    91 Jeep Cherokee
    User Name
    JandDGreens
    Real Name
    David
    Thanks Given

Default Re: 2018 Front Range 4x4 Anniversary Run - China Wall

Hey you all had a great time. You (group) rocked it this weekend.
    I’ll have to see if I have any pics worthy of posting later tonight. Cheers!!!!

Last Online
    September 8th, 2023
    4x4
    2005 Wrangler Unlimited (LJ)
    User Name
    open_circuit
    Real Name
    Trent
    Thanks Given

We finally made it home and unloaded the camping gear. Everyone in my family had a great time this weekend. Thanks everyone for coming out.

Last Online
    1 Day Ago
    4x4
    2008 Jeep Rubicon
    User Name
    Jackie
    Real Name
    Jackie
    Thanks Given

Fun time! Thanks to everyone who came. Beautiful day for this event. It was a pleasure to meet so many of you! I got a video of Jim bouncing up the Wall:

6. The Following 9 Members Say Thanks to Jackie For This Post:

cnstaco (June 24th, 2018),Getaklu (June 25th, 2018),goSlo (June 25th, 2018),Java (June 24th, 2018),Jeff M. (June 25th, 2018),SOS-1999TJ (June 25th, 2018),TJS86TOY (June 25th, 2018),TNTJ05 (June 24th, 2018),Tom (June 24th, 2018)

Last Online
    8 Hours Ago
    4x4
    1990 Jeep Wrangler (YJ)
    User Name
    Jim
    Real Name
    Jim Williamson
    Thanks Given

LOLOLOL - great intro pic.

Last Online
    1 Day Ago
    4x4
    JKUR
    User Name
    Getaklu
    Real Name
    Chris
    Thanks Given

This was a good time. Nice to see some familiar faces and meet some new ones as well.
    "A wise and frugal government...shall restrain men from injuring one another, shall leave them otherwise free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned. This is the sum of good government." Thomas Jefferson

Last Online
    January 5th, 2024
    4x4
    Tacoma
    User Name
    cnstaco
    Real Name
    Chris
    Thanks Given

Bummed I missed this, my wife had surgery on Friday so there was no way. I’m glad everyone had fun! I’ll make it next year post more pics please!

Last Online
    July 7th, 2023
    4x4
    2017 JKUR Recon
    User Name
    dieseldoc
    Real Name
    Brandon
    Thanks Given

Jim previously posted:
    "What a nice day with a great group of people!

Slept late today. Heading out for a bit but I see no report so I'll start it off (more to post later today).

1) Dante / DSCowell lost the right front lower control arm going up the first hill. It's the aftermarket style with ends that thread into a tube. One of the ends, the threads into the tube failed and the end pulled out. A bummer of a day though quite fortunate it failed on the trail and not on the road at speed. A buddy from Greeley came down with a trailer.

2) As typical, ample food was available. The watermelon Jackie brought was delicious. It paired well with the iced, mini cupcakes.

3) This was a first - traveling out the north trailhead. In the end, I (and perhaps several others) traveled the main trail and north trail twice. The north trail is interesting / worth checking out. I'm awaiting to see the curious video Jackie captured of me at the rock...

4) A large group of ? 17 ? jeeps was there plus a group of three that seemed to trail the 17. The strangler obstacle became the bottleneck.

5) Stickers - from the stickers post in the vendors forum - the method to apply them is listed as:
    Jon says this for install:
    These are cut for external application. Simply lift the image off with the tape, lay down and squeegee on the exterior glass. Then remove the mask tape.

6) Airing up and the loud, startling air pop/hiss the jeep made. My on board air project is coming along and this was the first use after adding an air tank. Currently the system simply flows air from the compressor out an air hose that flows air even when not connected to a tire. I don't have a shut-off yet installed to stop the compressor when the system is at pressure (I simply turn the compressor off when the tire's full / I'm done using it). I recently added a one gallon air tank between the compressor and air hose. The tank has a cut-off switch for 110PSI (not yet connected) and a 150PSI pressure relief valve. I noticed that when shutting off the compressor, if it had been running for a minute or two, air would still be pushed out of the air hose - not expected as all air should have exited the hose when the compressor was running. Nope - it seems the compressor is capable of putting out more air / pressure than what the air hose can put into a tire. Air pressure built up in the tank (to 150PSI) and the pressure relief valve did what it's supposed to do - dump pressure in a loud, short event. Now I know that the compressor is capable of 150PSI and I should perhaps look into the air hose - is there an internal failure or restriction that should be removed?"

Jim your York compressor is capable of well over 500PSI. Getting the shut off set up is a good thing for sure. We have split hoses raiyed to 500 PSI. Wow that a bang if I ever heard one.

As for the rest of the we had a great time.

Built for fun- had there ladies run out there 17 Jeep's in one group.

A few other small er groups but in all a great day.
    Nice to see old familiar faces and meet new ones.
    Glad it was a low impact day. No trail damage other the a control arm failed.

I don't any pics so will look forward to seeing some

Last Online
    April 17th, 2023
    4x4
    '20 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Recon
    User Name
    TNTJ05
    Real Name
    Erik & Maria
    Thanks Given

Was good to get out with the 'group' again. Maria and I had fun.

12. The Following 3 Members Say Thanks to TNTJ05 For This Post:

Getaklu (June 25th, 2018),goSlo (June 25th, 2018),SOS-1999TJ (June 25th, 2018)

Last Online
    April 17th, 2023
    4x4
    '20 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Recon
    User Name
    TNTJ05
    Real Name
    Erik & Maria
    Thanks Given

Small group going down the 'Strangler' including some ATV's.

14. The Following 2 Members Say Thanks to TNTJ05 For This Post:

goSlo (June 25th, 2018),SOS-1999TJ (June 25th, 2018)

Last Online
    July 7th, 2023
    4x4
    2017 JKUR Recon
    User Name
    dieseldoc
    Real Name
    Brandon
    Thanks Given

Nice vidoes! Thanks

Last Online
    January 2nd, 2019
    4x4
    TJ
    User Name
    GPP33
    Real Name
    Pete
    Thanks Given

Had a great time and it was good meeting the people I met, unfortunately I didn’t have time to meet everyone. We did a loop on the west side of the highway after running both branches of China Wall and back up to the meeting place from the south, soooooo much terrain to explore out there. A busy day on the trail, glad I was a part of the group who understood trail etiquette. Thanks for the talk at the beginning dieseldoc and the reminder to split up into smaller groups to keep things moving and minimize slow downs and the impact to other users,

Did anyone else else appreciate the irony of wheeling the China Wall obstacle with a a group of guys from China?

Last Online
    June 24th, 2022
    4x4
    2001 TJ
    User Name
    Tazer
    Real Name
    James
    Thanks Given

Yea, that was a bit ironic.... I thought for a moment he was going to roll his rig on the wall...

Great time with you guys..

Last Online
    9 Hours Ago
    4x4
    91 Jeep Cherokee
    User Name
    JandDGreens
    Real Name
    David
    Thanks Given

Here are a few pics. Man I had a great time like always and I came home in one piece!

19. The Following 4 Members Say Thanks to JandDGreens For This Post:

Getaklu (June 25th, 2018),goSlo (June 25th, 2018),SOS-1999TJ (June 25th, 2018),toycoma97 (June 25th, 2018)

Last Online
    July 7th, 2023
    4x4
    2017 JKUR Recon
    User Name
    dieseldoc
    Real Name
    Brandon
    Thanks Given

All about having fun and keeping everyone able to enjoy the day. And not just us. We share our trails with many other types of users.

Thank you all for coming together for a great day of fun in this great place we are lucky to call home.

21. The Following Member Says Thanks to dieseldoc For This Post:

SOS-1999TJ (June 25th, 2018)

Last Online
    August 2nd, 2023
    4x4
    78 BJ40 Land Cruiser and 2005 4runner
    User Name
    78bj40
    Real Name
    Louis
    Thanks Given

It was a last minute decision to join the run but I’m glad I did, great day, good to see familiar faces and meet new members. David and I stayed back to help Dante back to the trailhead so I do not have a whole lot of pics of other members. Over all great run with a great group!! Here are a few pics and videos

23. The Following 5 Members Say Thanks to 78bj40 For This Post:

Getaklu (June 25th, 2018),goSlo (June 25th, 2018),Jackie (June 27th, 2018),JandDGreens (June 25th, 2018),toycoma97 (June 25th, 2018)

Last Online
    August 2nd, 2023
    4x4
    78 BJ40 Land Cruiser and 2005 4runner
    User Name
    78bj40
    Real Name
    Louis
    Thanks Given

A couple of more

25. The Following 4 Members Say Thanks to 78bj40 For This Post:

goSlo (June 25th, 2018),Jackie (June 27th, 2018),JandDGreens (June 25th, 2018),Jim (June 25th, 2018)

Last Online
    August 24th, 2020
    4x4
    1997 toyota tacoma
    User Name
    toycoma97
    Real Name
    scott
    Thanks Given

Hot, windy and dusty but what a fun day! It was great to see some familiar faces and to have met some new ones too.

Last Online
    8 Hours Ago
    4x4
    1990 Jeep Wrangler (YJ)
    User Name
    Jim
    Real Name
    Jim Williamson
    Thanks Given

Heading out Brandon & Therese followed my thought of avoiding US-285 so we went the "mid-south route" (CO-67 via Woodland Park > Deckers > Sedalia). I recalled that, via Google Maps, the mid-south route would add about 30 minutes but would be more slow paced and scenic.

Taking that route - only to find a section of 67 closed for construction - I started to question the map times. Since the GPS was recording track points it'd be easy to double-check. For me, both routes merged at the China Wall trailhead and at I-25/I-76 intersection. Excluding stops (fuel, etc), the route times are correct. Taking US-285 it was 2 hours. Taking CO-67 it was 2:27. Adding 27 minutes for a slower pace nearly void of traffic. I'm okay with that.

28. The Following Member Says Thanks to Jim For This Post:

Tom (June 25th, 2018)

Last Online
    January 7th, 2020
    4x4
    75 International Scout
    User Name
    scout man
    Real Name
    Steve
    Thanks Given

Well, the wife and I decided last minute to take the scout out for its maiden voyage on this run. It had been 4 or 5 years since I had made it to the anniversary run and we weren't too sure what to expect any more. Jen and I had a great time though and it was great to meet some new people. I needed a good chance to test out the scout when there were others around to help out in case something went wrong. We had a bit of an overheating issue that I had hoped I had corrected, but all in all it went pretty well. I appreciate the patience of the couple guys we ran with when it did overheat. We had a good time and it was great to reconnect with the group a bit!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast