2006 Jeep LJ
    User Name
    Java
    Real Name
    Paul
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,788 Times in 1,261 Posts

Default Re: Pickle Gulch

Life has been so busy since I got home from that run that I haven't had time to download any of the videos from any of my cameras yet, but Pickle Gulch in que for editing after two more parts of Chinaman Gulch and one other, so hopefully in the next week or so I'll be able to post it. YouTube doesn't allow you to organize videos so I don't want to post CG interrupted or out of order or it will always be.

Great job on that tree, BTW, that was like an impromptu how-to clinic.

Last Online
    38 Minutes Ago
    4x4
    1990 Jeep Wrangler (YJ)
    User Name
    Jim
    Real Name
    Jim Williamson
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 3,021 Times in 2,011 Posts

Thx. Was curious. Video editing can consume time.

Last Online
    September 8th, 2023
    4x4
    2005 Wrangler Unlimited (LJ)
    User Name
    open_circuit
    Real Name
    Trent
    Thanks Given

Paul, my daughter wanted to know as soon as we got home when we could watch your video of the trail run. You have fans, although they have completely unreasonable expectations!

4. The Following Member Says Thanks to open_circuit For This Post:

Java (May 29th, 2018)

Last Online
    December 23rd, 2023
    4x4
    2006 Jeep LJ
    User Name
    Java
    Real Name
    Paul
    Thanks Given

Jim previously posted:
    "Thx. Was curious. Video editing can consume time."

the editing is tedious, and the rendering takes hours as does uploading to youtube. This is a screenshot from the editing software, about 5 hours for a 35 minute video.

Last Online
    April 24th, 2022
    4x4
    2008 Jeep Wrangler JK Unlimited X
    User Name
    Jeff M.
    Real Name
    Jeff
    Thanks Given

Looks like a great trail and a good time. Sorry I missed it, had to work.

Last Online
    December 23rd, 2023
    4x4
    2006 Jeep LJ
    User Name
    Java
    Real Name
    Paul
    Thanks Given

I ran this from the Dakota hill side down to the trailhead this weekend and stayed only on marked trails. When we did the group we run did the reverse and we didn't go through the water and up the trail across from the bottom of the Snowden mine- a Ranger told James it was actually private, I remember that when it happened; however, the top of the trail has a carsonite that IIRC says it's 714.1. I followed marked trails so I wouldn't get lost, everything looks different from the other direction. I know for sure there is a marker at the top. I also know James heard correctly... either the sign is wrong or the ranger meant another trail. There are a LOT of closed off trails there, I think it might have been a miscommunication. Nothing at the top or bottom implies that it's closed. thoughts??

Last Online
    September 8th, 2023
    4x4
    User Name
    open_circuit
    Real Name
    Trent
    Thanks Given

We also ended up on that 714.1 road by accident when we ran down Pickle Gulch from Dakota Hill on Saturday. The road we were on apparently had a horseshoe turn somewhere that we missed, which ended up dumping us onto 714.1. I didn't realize where we were until I reached the water and saw the mine. I checked the Wells guidebook when I got home and found that Wells marks 714.1 on his official trail route for that area (going across the water).

Last Online
    4 Hours Ago
    4x4
    JKUR
    User Name
    Getaklu
    Real Name
    Chris
    Thanks Given

The MVUM does not list this 714.1 trail, it is approximately the blue line below from what I remember. The red line is for sure closed with markings and downed trees to try to keep people from using it.

The ranger that Paul referred to even said the Toyota group that was working on the trail went the wrong way. I believe he also mentioned something about them not necessarily being able close that other spur since it apparently serves private property.

It would be good to run up there with the Avenza map app running with the particular MVUM loaded, this would guide the way per the FS. If you don't have it loaded, it is slick and works with the phones GPS if there is no cell coverage.

"A wise and frugal government...shall restrain men from injuring one another, shall leave them otherwise free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned. This is the sum of good government." Thomas Jefferson

10. The Following 2 Members Say Thanks to Getaklu For This Post:

FINOCJ (June 11th, 2018),open_circuit (June 11th, 2018)

Last Online
    September 8th, 2023
    4x4
    User Name
    open_circuit
    Real Name
    Trent
    Thanks Given

I agree that 714.1 is not on the MVUM, which is why we were very surprised to end up on it at all. We were near that turn where the marked trail and the blue line meet on the left, and apparently missed the turn to stay on the dotted line. We never intended to take the 714.1 spur. I do wonder what changed since the 2011 Wells book, since he lists that blue line as part of his suggested route.

Last Online
    4 Minutes Ago
    4x4
    1970CJ5 1958WillysWagon
    User Name
    FINOCJ
    Real Name
    James Orofino
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,602 Times in 972 Posts

Chris and I were both with at the same conversation with ranger Brady. The spur leading across the creek from the silver creek mine is not on the mvum and thus is technically not legal as we were told. The situation is complicated by the private land that road through the land is private. Maybe the rising sun club, land owner and usfs will more clearly mark the private section. On a slightly different note...I worry the legal route with the steep talus climb is not very sustainable and susceptible to severe erosion and possible closure. The route through the private land is much better from an impact and tread lightly standpoint.

Last Online
    4 Hours Ago
    4x4
    JKUR
    User Name
    Getaklu
    Real Name
    Chris
    Thanks Given

I agree with James on the sustainability of the two trails given the legal route is steep and loose opening it up for erosion issues.

More to satisfy my own curiosity than anything, I translated part of the route James and I took a week ago and put it on another mapping page. This one shows the 714.1x trails. It is easier to show than on the MVUM.

"A wise and frugal government...shall restrain men from injuring one another, shall leave them otherwise free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned. This is the sum of good government." Thomas Jefferson

Last Online
    4 Hours Ago
    4x4
    JKUR
    User Name
    Getaklu
    Real Name
    Chris
    Thanks Given

open_circuit previously posted:
    "I agree that 714.1 is not on the MVUM, which is why we were very surprised to end up on it at all. We were near that turn where the marked trail and the blue line meet on the left, and apparently missed the turn to stay on the dotted line. We never intended to take the 714.1 spur. I do wonder what changed since the 2011 Wells book, since he lists that blue line as part of his suggested route."

714.1 is not on the map I put up earlier, from the Boulder District. It does show up on the Clear Creek district map, below. The CC map is dated 2013, it is feasible to have had changes since the 2011 book. I looked at one sites GPX file for the area, it showed not going through the creek but did go up the now closed shortcut. That GPX file was dated 2009. Caveat Emptor I guess.

The best we can do is follow the FS MVUM's, and like I found today, use the one for the responsible ranger district trails may not match if not.

Last Online
    December 23rd, 2023
    4x4
    2006 Jeep LJ
    User Name
    Java
    Real Name
    Paul
    Thanks Given

report from the day with the ranger: http://www.frontrange4x4.com/forums/...kle-Gulch-10-7

I certainly do not want to do anything wrong, but as long as there is a carsonite marking it as a trail and nothing else I'm OK using it. I want to do my part. The FS puts in the carsonites and is pretty clear when they close stuff; it's on them to mark it or drag trees across, but random conversations and a marked trail like any other is not doing their part IMO. If they take down the marker and block it off I will respect that, but otherwise...

Last Online
    December 20th, 2018
    4x4
    2005 LJ Rubicon
    User Name
    Igrok
    Real Name
    Andrew
    Thanks Given

great pics all! thank you for posting!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12