1970CJ5 1958WillysWagon
    User Name
    FINOCJ
    Real Name
    James Orofino
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,588 Times in 965 Posts

Default Not jeeping season yet!

Got out into the mountains on Thurs for some spring backcountry skiing with my 81 year old father. I would probably climb this and ski it in about 2-2.5 hrs (its a 2000' descent) - it took him 5 hours, but he is still out there doing it. We planned accordingly and timed it right to get the first really good spring corn snow turns.

Panorama from the top. Ski areas A-basin, Keystone and Breckenridge all visible as well as 14ers Torreys and Gray (high peaks on the left). We were at about 13,000' elevation here.

The 'run' is called Dave's Wave - as you can see its a bit of a cross-wind feature that loads snow. Normally it fills in the bottom side a bit more for better skiing, but even with the side hill skiing the snow was good quality. My father is the little dot in the snow field gives a sense of scale.

Action shot getting down to the treeline.

Back to work today - rather be skiing or jeeping.

2. The Following 7 Members Say Thanks to FINOCJ For This Post:

Bob (April 27th, 2018),Brian (April 27th, 2018),Java (April 28th, 2018),Jim (April 27th, 2018),SOS-1999TJ (May 10th, 2018),TDash (June 5th, 2021),Tom (June 5th, 2021)

Last Online
    December 15th, 2022
    4x4
    '13 JK "Linus"
    User Name
    Heather
    Real Name
    DRT GRL
    Thanks Given

Default Re: Not jeeping season yet!

Oh, that is amazing. And so cool that you not only still have your dad at age 81, but that he's still so active! I sure hope I'm so lucky!

Last Online
    November 3rd, 2023
    4x4
    84 CJ8
    User Name
    Spieg
    Real Name
    Brian
    Thanks Given

Looks like fun times. I'd be happy if my 80yo mom could get around without a cane, let alone ski!!

Despite the low snow totals in some areas this year, the mountains have had a pretty good spring so far. Lets hope at least part of the state is spared from fire restrictions this summer.

Last Online
    April 21st, 2021
    4x4
    2004 Jeep LJ
    User Name
    Brian
    Real Name
    Brian
    Thanks Given

Looks like a blast! I'd probably break my neck.

Last Online
    18 Hours Ago
    4x4
    1970CJ5 1958WillysWagon
    User Name
    FINOCJ
    Real Name
    James Orofino
    Thanks Given

From this weekend - snowboarder is a friend from work. While he had fun coming down - it wasn't so much fun on the flats getting back out afterwards! These are from 'No Name' peak near Loveland pass. For those that ski Loveland basin - this is the backside of the peak just above chair 6.

Last Online
    January 2nd, 2019
    4x4
    TJ
    User Name
    GPP33
    Real Name
    Pete
    Thanks Given

Looks like a good time. We were at a basin on Saturday for a beach party, we brought the BC gear but given the amount of slide activity from Friday opted to pass on an early morning tour. We still have about a month of good skiing left, we should get together for a tour.

Last Online
    18 Hours Ago
    4x4
    1970CJ5 1958WillysWagon
    User Name
    FINOCJ
    Real Name
    James Orofino
    Thanks Given

We skipped out on sat as well - marginal snow conditions both in terms of quality and avy stability. Was starting to settle in a bit more by Sunday and transition to corn and granular - mostly had to worry about the surface layer on top of the old crust on south facing aspects, especially with how fast things warmed up. It was just a bit concerning - we didn't take the most aggressive line and stopped short of our target due to the rapidly rising temps and softening snow. I figured we would have until 10 am easily before temp affect would be an issue, but we called it a few hundred vertical feet short of the top and were skiing down by 9:30.

Will definitely be out some the next couple weeks - maybe heading up dry gulch on sat with my wife if your interested.

Last Online
    18 Hours Ago
    4x4
    1970CJ5 1958WillysWagon
    User Name
    FINOCJ
    Real Name
    James Orofino
    Thanks Given

Figured I'd revive this old thread....I think we need a snow and ski sub-forum....
    We have had quite a bit of snow over the last week...avy concerns are at high (level 4 out of 5) with an avalanche watch in effect going into tomorrow (Front Range), but as the storm is still working its away across the central mountains near Aspen we took advantage this morning and got in some nice low angle powder. 18"+ in most places. The sad part is for as much snow as we have had (and the ski areas are doing great and the snowpack below treeline and on east facing slopes is quite thick) most slopes above treeline have been wind scoured to the talus and there is no snow. Its all in Kansas or somewhere....its been a windy season in the mts. We need a bit more spring like air pressure to settle the winds down and a bit warmer temps to help the snowpack build on the high peaks above treeline. Although there is a lot of snow down low, it will melt off fast in the early summer and be gone before July - we need it up at high elevations (above 12,000') where it freezes at night late into the summer helping slow down and distribute the release of melt water more evenly so it lasts late into the summer. But....any snow is good snow...especially when skiing it...a couple pics of friends getting started down the lower slopes of Mt Trelease...the slopes in the background are the lower slopes (known as the Valley) of Loveland ski area.

Last Online
    2 Hours Ago
    4x4
    1990 Jeep Wrangler (YJ)
    User Name
    Jim
    Real Name
    Jim Williamson
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 3,008 Times in 2,005 Posts

Heh - I was going to stick this in chat - but since the thread's resurrected...

And to think - two weeks until the anniversary run!!

Last Online
    18 Hours Ago
    4x4
    1970CJ5 1958WillysWagon
    User Name
    FINOCJ
    Real Name
    James Orofino
    Thanks Given

Jim previously posted:
    "Heh - I was going to stick this in chat - but since the thread's resurrected...

And to think - two weeks until the anniversary run!!"

have been thinking about that...wonder how much snow is in the rampart range.

Last Online
    18 Hours Ago
    4x4
    1970CJ5 1958WillysWagon
    User Name
    FINOCJ
    Real Name
    James Orofino
    Thanks Given

Today's action:
    Didn't get much snow in town...but the mountains got hammered. 24" or so on top of what we skied yesterday. Some of the best snow I have ever skied! True blower pow faceshot! Berthoud pass backcountry.

Last Online
    1 Day Ago
    4x4
    2008 Jeep Rubicon
    User Name
    Jackie
    Real Name
    Jackie
    Thanks Given

Glad you had fun! Must have been pretty cold and windy!

Last Online
    18 Hours Ago
    4x4
    1970CJ5 1958WillysWagon
    User Name
    FINOCJ
    Real Name
    James Orofino
    Thanks Given

June 8, and still finding some good skiing. Actually, for us on the eastern front range the temps are getting pretty warm and we are starting to see some significant melting, and although the skiing will be okay, its the central mountains that look like the skiing will last all summer...well at least for a quite a lot longer. My wife joined me today...This is one of our 'standard' ski tours, going up Loveland to Porcupine saddle and then up to the little high point just north. This is often the last ski tour I do every year before moving on to summer activities completely...

The goal is the high point directly in front of my wife, although the route up will be to the saddle to climber's left and then up the ridge:

Jen on the final approach to the ridge:

We had to hike the last 10 mins up the ridge to the top as the snow was blown and melted off, and I didn't trust the snow cornice at the edge. Breckenridge is the ski area in the background:

Me at the top just about ready to ski down (helmet on)...Keystone ski area is in the background to the SW. You can see the very substantial snowpack still out there.

Jen skiing down:

15. The Following 2 Members Say Thanks to FINOCJ For This Post:

alanmikkelsen (June 8th, 2019),Tom (June 8th, 2019)

Last Online
    18 Hours Ago
    4x4
    1970CJ5 1958WillysWagon
    User Name
    FINOCJ
    Real Name
    James Orofino
    Thanks Given

Today's adventure...my wife's last day in her 30s. In RMNP hidden valley. Skiing was marginal, but the day was beautiful. Not a place we frequent much as its typically not good snow, very windy and crowded. But we have an avy day course Sun in the area, so making a weekend of it near Estes park.
    Target was the top of the ridge above trendline:

Jen making near the top:

view from top:

17. The Following 3 Members Say Thanks to FINOCJ For This Post:

Bob (March 7th, 2020),open_circuit (March 7th, 2020),Tom (March 7th, 2020)

Last Online
    2 Hours Ago
    4x4
    1990 Jeep Wrangler (YJ)
    User Name
    Jim
    Real Name
    Jim Williamson
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 3,008 Times in 2,005 Posts

A nice day to be out. Clear photos.

Happy Birthday to Jen tomorrow!

19. The Following Member Says Thanks to Jim For This Post:

FINOCJ (March 7th, 2020)

Last Online
    18 Hours Ago
    4x4
    1970CJ5 1958WillysWagon
    User Name
    FINOCJ
    Real Name
    James Orofino
    Thanks Given

As far as I know - at least when we left the house this morning - we are not in lockdown/shelter in place restrictions in Colo yet. But kind of expecting we will be soon. We got about a foot of snow Thurs-Fri, with blue sky this morning for some great skiing. Its an interesting discussion as to whether we should be skiing or not...From a virus risk standpoint, its just my wife and I, leave the house in our car, drive straight to the trailhead, climb up and ski down and back to car and back to home...There were a quite a few people out and about at the many trailheads in the area - and the closed down ski areas were packed with people hiking up to ski. We went into the backcountry and tried to find a relatively less visited place. I did see some commentary on wildsnow concerning possibly emergency and first responders being diverted from other needs to help with an avalanche or injury issue - valid point. Anyway, some fun skiing and some beautiful blue sky and mountain air was a nice break from back home in the metro area with all the concerns etc....I70 is the main highway in the valley, and the trailhead is right off of I70.
    Looking down the run/avalanche slide path we were about the ski - a few guys skied it just before us coming down to our right...We skied the left entrance, and then crossed over their tracks and skied down to the right of theirs...

My wife making some powder turns - wasn't her best day with skiing technique, and she struggled just a bit. It was spring powder - so just a bit heavy, and it was pretty deep, no real bottom to it.

21. The Following Member Says Thanks to FINOCJ For This Post:

open_circuit (March 21st, 2020)

Last Online
    18 Hours Ago
    4x4
    1970CJ5 1958WillysWagon
    User Name
    FINOCJ
    Real Name
    James Orofino
    Thanks Given

Got to hike the headwaters ridge with some clients today...tried to get a few snowy/foggy photos...poor vis kills the view looking down the 3 forks chute with close to 2000' vertical...fun but serious terrain.

In better weather it looks like this...our route down was straight down from the high point.

23. The Following Member Says Thanks to FINOCJ For This Post:

Java (February 25th, 2021)

Last Online
    18 Hours Ago
    4x4
    1970CJ5 1958WillysWagon
    User Name
    FINOCJ
    Real Name
    James Orofino
    Thanks Given

Despite the very poor snow year throughout the main winter months, a few (very) late spring snows have allowed for decent snowpack to hang around. Mt Evans Rd opened yesterday for the first time since end of 2019 season (Covid closure) and we went up to get some skiing in. My father (84 years old) has a group of retiree ski friends that try to ski mt evans every year. I tagged along this year to help with some car shuttling (ski bums are always ski bums - Nine of them all packed into my small tacoma and riding in the pick-up bed/tailgate etc) and get a bit of skiing in. The gentle skiing is on the east side and gets first sun, good for the first couple runs on nicely softening corn snow. Then some of the group chose to go to the north side and the summit lake cirque which has a collection of different steep couloirs.

3 of the group (highest one up is my father) working there way down into one of the couloirs:

Zoom in of one of them skiing the above line:

One of the group and I choose a steeper, gnarlier line which we also hoped would have better snow (and it did):

A pic of the cirque...the vertical aspect is heavily shortened in the photo. The saddle with the widest snow route down is the first pic where the 3 are having to side step down. The steeper route Michelle and I took down is the skinning route left center - has a sketchy entrance that is very exposed.

Stuff is melting fast - and i think the San Juan area has less snowpack - but as usual around the front range, its going to be a bit before the high jeep trails are clear.

25. The Following 6 Members Say Thanks to FINOCJ For This Post:

Bob (June 5th, 2021),Fatkids (June 5th, 2021),Jim (June 5th, 2021),speedkills (June 5th, 2021),TDash (June 5th, 2021),Tom (June 5th, 2021)

Last Online
    December 6th, 2023
    4x4
    '14 Grand Cherokee, '01 F350
    User Name
    Bob
    Real Name
    Bob
    Thanks Given

Awesome skiing and scenery! Thanks for sharing.

I’ll stick to the ski resorts

27. The Following Member Says Thanks to Bob For This Post:

FINOCJ (June 5th, 2021)

Last Online
    18 Hours Ago
    4x4
    1970CJ5 1958WillysWagon
    User Name
    FINOCJ
    Real Name
    James Orofino
    Thanks Given

We are still lacking snow around Big Sky, but what snow is around in the backcountry is reasonably stable, albeit not necessarily high quality skiing (even with the lowest possible avy danger rating, a snowmobiler was killed in a small slide just south a bit a day or so ago, so it's never a non-issue). The south and west facing aspects have gotten too warm the last couple days and have a bit of a sun crust surface, and the north aspects got wind hammered a couple days ago, so it's pretty much limited to wind and sun protected east aspects for good skiing. Went on a little ski tour in the Spanish Peaks area of the Madison range - specifically the east ridge of Beehive basin.
    A few soft turns dropping off the ridge...

Looking east-ish over middle and bear basin drainages. Wilson peak in the background.

Looking north-ish...Beehive peak on the left and the unnamed top of middle basin to the right. I was tempted to make the long slog to the top of the snowfield, but flying solo and not convinced it was going to be anything decent for skiing due to the high winds.

Looking south-southwest towards Lone Peak and the ski area....

and a panorama from south (left) to west (right) of the southern Madison Range.

29. The Following 3 Members Say Thanks to FINOCJ For This Post:

Java (February 11th, 2022),Jim (February 8th, 2022),Schmitty (February 8th, 2022)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast