User Name
    Java
    Real Name
    Paul
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,788 Times in 1,261 Posts

Default Who owns the riverbed?

This will decide access for a lot of recreation:

"A federal lawsuit pitting an angler against a landowner on the Arkansas River seeks to clarify Colorado’s murky laws governing public access to streams and rivers. Colorado Springs fisherman Roger Hill has had repeated run-ins with Mark Warsewa, whose property spans the Arkansas River between Texas Creek and Cotopaxi. Hill likes to wade from public land nearby and fish in the river near Warsewa’s place.

“I own the bottom of the river,” said Warsewa, who bought the property in 2006.

Hill on Friday sued Warsewa in U.S. District Court, arguing the bottom of the river actually is public property....

https://www.denverpost.com/2018/02/0...-mark-warsewa/

Last Online
    7 Hours Ago
    4x4
    '12 Jeep Wrangler Sport 2.5" lift, 33s, winch
    User Name
    Tom
    Real Name
    Tom
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,234 Times in 933 Posts

Default Re: Who owns the riverbed?

My understanding has always been the land under the water is owned by the land owner. But you can float the water. I knew this from back when I was a outdoor recreation leader: mountaineering, river rafting, rock climbing, etc.

It was pretty cut and dry at the time, 1970’s and 80’s.

Last Online
    8 Hours Ago
    4x4
    JKUR
    User Name
    Getaklu
    Real Name
    Chris
    Thanks Given

My understanding is the same as Tom’s. The ground under the water is owned, the surface of the water not. One still may need to try to “float through a fence” though if trying to go through the property.
    "A wise and frugal government...shall restrain men from injuring one another, shall leave them otherwise free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned. This is the sum of good government." Thomas Jefferson

Last Online
    17 Hours Ago
    4x4
    2012 Rock Ware Buggy & 2007 JKUR
    User Name
    newracer
    Real Name
    Michael
    Thanks Given

x3 You can float through but not wade.

Last Online
    1 Day Ago
    4x4
    2008 Jeep Rubicon
    User Name
    Jackie
    Real Name
    Jackie
    Thanks Given

We had a neighbor next to us in Florida who couldn't understand why we didn't want him and his buddy fishing off of our dock. The lake was privately owned by the neighborhood, but our dock was ours alone. (This guy and his wife were a jerks in so many ways). He told me our dock was way too high over the water and that he was going to build one better... When finished, it looked more like a dance floor built on 2x4's about 6 inches above the water. Needless to say, when the rainy season came, his dance floor was about 4 feet under water not to be seen again until the next drought! He hated it when people would paddle around the lake (trespassing over his flooded yard)!!!

Last Online
    20 Hours Ago
    4x4
    1970CJ5 1958WillysWagon
    User Name
    FINOCJ
    Real Name
    James Orofino
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,588 Times in 965 Posts

As a whitewater kayaker...the river bottom is owned by landowner in colo as has been repeatedly determined by the local and state courts. This is not case in many other states. AWA - a very influential lobby group managed to get one appeal case to federal court but I believe they would not hear the case and said it was a state issue (this dates back to 1979? or so from a SCOTUS case in Oregon). Federal courts have repeatedly ruled and overruled some state court decisions in favor off allowing float through access as well as portage usage when immediate safety is needed due to a natural or man made impediment to float through. Minimal usage of private land is required but allowed in such a safety situation. A barbed wire fence is often the impediment. Have some personal court experience with such issues.

Last Online
    December 23rd, 2023
    4x4
    2006 Jeep LJ
    User Name
    Java
    Real Name
    Paul
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,788 Times in 1,261 Posts

Paul previously posted:

click that link, it's a PDF of the complaint, details of rock throwing and shooting, the landowner was prosecuted, it's nucking futs.

I guess this is like when we go on a 4x4 road through private land, stay on the road and keep moving?

Can a land owner "landscape" his property / the riverbed?

Last Online
    7 Hours Ago
    4x4
    '12 Jeep Wrangler Sport 2.5" lift, 33s, winch
    User Name
    Tom
    Real Name
    Tom
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,234 Times in 933 Posts

Paul previously posted:
    "click that link, it's a PDF of the complaint, details of rock throwing and shooting, the landowner was prosecuted, it's nucking futs.

I guess this is like when we go on a 4x4 road through private land, stay on the road and keep moving?

Can a land owner "landscape" his property / the riverbed?"

Sounds to me like the guy is saying the bank of the river is public land. He will lose on that based on history of colo law.

I lived in MT for about five years. IIRC the land of a river from high water line to high water line is public land. I thnk this guy is confused. That said attempting tom assault someone withnrocks or weapons deserves to be prosecuted.