4x4
    2008 Jeep Rubicon
    User Name
    Jackie
    Real Name
    Jackie
    Thanks Given

Default Considering a 4Runner...

(I'm keeping my Jeep - so that's not in question here)! Our minivan finally bit the dust, so Britton is shopping for a new vehicle. For those of you who don't know him, he's not in to 4-wheeling much, but he's 6'4" and headroom is an issue for him. We want it to be 4WD and off-road capable but we also want it to be comfortable enough for road-trips. We've been searching around and think the 4Runner might be a great choice. Problem is, we're not sure which trim package. We were looking at a Trail version over the weekend which was very comfortable and looked to be very capable off-road as well but we're wondering if the SR5 would be a better choice considering everything said above. We also can't afford to by a new one so we're looking at low-mileage used ones.

Any helpful advise or alternative suggestions for us?

Last Online
    April 6th, 2019
    4x4
    Toyota/Scout/Nissan
    User Name
    Patrolman
    Real Name
    Jeff
    Thanks Given

Default Re: Considering a 4Runner...

My first suggestion is to have him sit in a few. They may not have the room that he would expect. The 4Runner is a great vehicle, but fit makes all the difference.

3. The Following Member Says Thanks to Patrolman For This Post:

Jackie (January 16th, 2018)

Last Online
    June 16th, 2021
    4x4
    Poison Spyder buggy, 1999 4runner
    User Name
    TJS86TOY
    Real Name
    TJ
    Thanks Given

Patrolman previously posted:
    "My first suggestion is to have him sit in a few. They may not have the room that he would expect. The 4Runner is a great vehicle, but fit makes all the difference. "

Great point. I am a fairly tall/big person and fit in both my 4Runners just fine but not compared to an old chevy truck .

Jackie, I pondered what you are talking about and did a lot of research on different vehicles out there. The 4runner even though IFS front is not my cupcake it still came out ahead as far as reliability and capability. Although I must admit I am a bit bias towards chrysler products. I like the Jeep line but I have owned too many chrysler vehicles that needed constant maintenance. That aside, on my search, I wanted to make sure that any 4runner I got had a V8 and was the offroad package (trail version) . Not sure if they still do a rear locker but would be nice.

Another option I was looking at was the Lexus GX470 . More luxury options and you can build those pretty well.

5. The Following Member Says Thanks to TJS86TOY For This Post:

Last Online
    3 Weeks Ago
    4x4
    2021 Jeep Unlimited Rubicon Xtreme Recon
    User Name
    RockyMtRebel
    Real Name
    Matt
    Thanks Given

My other vehicle is my Ram 1500 (Rebel pkg) and it is roomy, plush, great for road trips & capable in bad weather. It also has all the practical benefits of a truck with a decent size bed. It seriously is like a luxury vehicle inside, very comfortable and lots of room (we are a tall family). Is also
    looks great and has quite a bit of power thanks to the Hemi

7. The Following Member Says Thanks to RockyMtRebel For This Post:

Last Online
    1 Day Ago
    4x4
    1970CJ5 1958WillysWagon
    User Name
    FINOCJ
    Real Name
    James Orofino
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,588 Times in 965 Posts

Jakie - what generation (year range) of 4runner are you looking for? Like many vehicles, they seem to have grown in size over the years, and the latest generation (pretty square and boxy) looks pretty large (but also pretty sweet). Think the newest ones have no option for v8 if that is a concern - may very well not be a concern to you. I have the 4.0 v6 in my taco and its fine - not a towing or heavy hauling powerplant but works great otherwise. Since you are not looking to wheel it much, I would guess the SR5 package is fine as compared to an offroad package. I believe the SR5 package is more about conveniences and interior options as opposed to any external performance upgrades (unlike the trail/offroad packages which may have lower gearing, rear locker etc). I believe our member 'the gobbler' has a nice runner with the trail package and says its superb. But again, for your needs it might be unnecessary expense.

Guessing you could find an previous generation of 4runner for much less expense - but it will be at least 3-4 years old and may have higher mileage than what you want? I feel like with a bit of maintenance and the expectation that you might have some repairs every once in a while, you can't go wrong with a well cared for used toyota. I bought my taco used with low miles and its nearing 120k with only repairs being one coil pack and one wheel bearing (which may have been induced by the driver smashing it into a washout ravine - although the control arm seemed to hold up fine). I use it pretty hard and wheel it quite a bit as well, and I also tow my jeep around with it. I don't see any reason not to get to 200k, probably with a few unexpected repairs, but that is cheap compared to the cost of something new (not to mention CO insurance and registration cost savings).

9. The Following Member Says Thanks to FINOCJ For This Post:

Last Online
    May 28th, 2019
    4x4
    2016 Toyota 4Runner Trail
    User Name
    The Gobbler
    Real Name
    Noah
    Thanks Given

4Runner would be a great choice, but I am a bit biased. I have the Trail Premium and am amazed at how capable it is off road. If you are really never going to do serious off road, then the SR5 would be a good choice. If there's a chance you are going anything technical or going to play in the snow, then go Trail all the way. You're in my neck of the woods, you are more than welcome to come drive mine. It has been lifted and does have KDSS. Some people don't like KDSS because it makes getting a lift a little more complicated, but I love it! Handles great on road and off.

11. The Following Member Says Thanks to The Gobbler For This Post:

FINOCJ (January 16th, 2018)

Last Online
    December 15th, 2022
    4x4
    '13 JK "Linus"
    User Name
    Heather
    Real Name
    DRT GRL
    Thanks Given

(So glad you started the OP with 'not getting rid of Jeep.')

Last Online
    4 Hours Ago
    4x4
    2008 Jeep Rubicon
    User Name
    Jackie
    Real Name
    Jackie
    Thanks Given

TJ - We'll consider a V8, but since it will be primarily a DD, I think a V6 might be the better choice as far as gas expense goes.

Last Online
    December 23rd, 2023
    4x4
    2006 Jeep LJ
    User Name
    Java
    Real Name
    Paul
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,788 Times in 1,261 Posts

Have you considered and Xterra? My wife has one, it's very comfortable, tons of room and a strong V6. Anything 2011 to 2015 should be basically bulletproof and reliable. We considered a 4runner and a Grand Cherokee too, but we got a much better deal on the Xterra. My old college roommate was in town last month and rented a new 4runner, and I do have to say the xterra interior is dated compared to it- still nice, I like it, but that 4Runner...

15. The Following Member Says Thanks to Java For This Post:

Jackie (January 17th, 2018)

Last Online
    4 Hours Ago
    4x4
    2008 Jeep Rubicon
    User Name
    Jackie
    Real Name
    Jackie
    Thanks Given

The Gobbler previously posted:
    "4Runner would be a great choice, but I am a bit biased. I have the Trail Premium and am amazed at how capable it is off road. If you are really never going to do serious off road, then the SR5 would be a good choice. If there's a chance you are going anything technical or going to play in the snow, then go Trail all the way. You're in my neck of the woods, you are more than welcome to come drive mine. It has been lifted and does have KDSS. Some people don't like KDSS because it makes getting a lift a little more complicated, but I love it! Handles great on road and off.

"

Thanks for the offer, Noah but we'll stick to test driving off the sales lots! Your rig looks great! Where was that shot taken?

We have no plans to take it on serious trails. Think Johnny Park or Pole Hill. Fun, but nothing technical. If he decides to do something serious, he'll take my Rubicon. (But I doubt he ever does... it's just not his thing. He's more into scenic.)

Last Online
    4 Hours Ago
    4x4
    2008 Jeep Rubicon
    User Name
    Jackie
    Real Name
    Jackie
    Thanks Given

FINOCJ previously posted:
    "Jakie - what generation (year range) of 4runner are you looking for? Like many vehicles, they seem to have grown in size over the years, and the latest generation (pretty square and boxy) looks pretty large (but also pretty sweet). Think the newest ones have no option for v8 if that is a concern - may very well not be a concern to you. I have the 4.0 v6 in my taco and its fine - not a towing or heavy hauling powerplant but works great otherwise. Since you are not looking to wheel it much, I would guess the SR5 package is fine as compared to an offroad package. I believe the SR5 package is more about conveniences and interior options as opposed to any external performance upgrades (unlike the trail/offroad packages which may have lower gearing, rear locker etc). I believe our member 'the gobbler' has a nice runner with the trail package and says its superb. But again, for your needs it might be unnecessary expense.

Guessing you could find an previous generation of 4runner for much less expense - but it will be at least 3-4 years old and may have higher mileage than what you want? I feel like with a bit of maintenance and the expectation that you might have some repairs every once in a while, you can't go wrong with a well cared for used toyota. I bought my taco used with low miles and its nearing 120k with only repairs being one coil pack and one wheel bearing (which may have been induced by the driver smashing it into a washout ravine - although the control arm seemed to hold up fine). I use it pretty hard and wheel it quite a bit as well, and I also tow my jeep around with it. I don't see any reason not to get to 200k, probably with a few unexpected repairs, but that is cheap compared to the cost of something new (not to mention CO insurance and registration cost savings)."

Thanks for your input James. Not sure what year yet. Low miles and no modifications are a high priority. V8 will not be necessary. We looked at one over the weekend that looked sweet, but the super beefy after-market front bumper had stories to tell right off the bat!!!

We're not completely sold on the 4Runner yet. There are other models that have good headroom, offroad capability etc. that we have yet to go try out. For the kind of money we know we'll have to fork out, we will be shopping around a bit, but for him to simply sit in the drivers seat for a minute to see if it's tall enough for him is a pretty quick decision-maker as far as elimination goes!

We still have to go see an SR5 and then test-drive both the SR5 and the Trail versions for sure. Anything more than that would be over-kill in the 4Runner family I think. Also considering checking out Pathfinders.

Last Online
    4 Hours Ago
    4x4
    2008 Jeep Rubicon
    User Name
    Jackie
    Real Name
    Jackie
    Thanks Given

Heather previously posted:
    "(So glad you started the OP with 'not getting rid of Jeep.')"

Haha! NOT gonna happen!

19. The Following Member Says Thanks to Jackie For This Post:

Heather (January 17th, 2018)

Last Online
    May 28th, 2019
    4x4
    2016 Toyota 4Runner Trail
    User Name
    The Gobbler
    Real Name
    Noah
    Thanks Given

Jackie previously posted:
    "Thanks for the offer, Noah but we'll stick to test driving off the sales lots! Your rig looks great! Where was that shot taken?

We have no plans to take it on serious trails. Think Johnny Park or Pole Hill. Fun, but nothing technical. If he decides to do something serious, he'll take my Rubicon. (But I doubt he ever does... it's just not his thing. He's more into scenic.)"

This was taken on one of the gulches, I think it was Hackett, but not totally sure. Good luck in your search!

Last Online
    April 6th, 2019
    4x4
    Toyota/Scout/Nissan
    User Name
    Patrolman
    Real Name
    Jeff
    Thanks Given

"We still have to go see an SR5 and then test-drive both the SR5 and the Trail versions for sure. Anything more than that would be over-kill in the 4Runner family I think. Also considering checking out Pathfinders."

The Pathfinder went to a 4 wheel independent suspension about 10 years ago. At that time it became more like a minivan. I don't think it was offered with 4-low anymore either. Prior to that time, the Pathfinder was a body-on-frame SUV with IFS and a solid rear axle just like the 4Runner. The Xterra fills that niche for Nissan now.

Last Online
    July 7th, 2023
    4x4
    2017 JKUR Recon
    User Name
    dieseldoc
    Real Name
    Brandon
    Thanks Given

that shot of Noah runner is on mettbarry I do believe.

23. The Following Member Says Thanks to dieseldoc For This Post:

The Gobbler (January 17th, 2018)

Last Online
    4 Hours Ago
    4x4
    2008 Jeep Rubicon
    User Name
    Jackie
    Real Name
    Jackie
    Thanks Given

Paul previously posted:
    "Have you considered and Xterra? My wife has one, it's very comfortable, tons of room and a strong V6. Anything 2011 to 2015 should be basically bulletproof and reliable."

It is up for consideration - just hard to find one so far...

Last Online
    4 Hours Ago
    4x4
    2008 Jeep Rubicon
    User Name
    Jackie
    Real Name
    Jackie
    Thanks Given

So... while we're shopping for a new vehicle, I keep wondering what we should do with the van. It isn't worth anything really. I guess if we wanted to put a new tranny and windshield in it it would still serve a purpose for around town, but I wouldn't consider a road trip in it. For the past couple years we've used it for a ton of hauling (slash from our property) and for trips to the airport and simple in-town use and it was fine. We had the brakes fixed last year and we also put 4 new tires on it a year ago so they cost more than the van is probably worth. It's a 2000 Honda Odyssey with about 180K on it. 2WD. I bought it new in 2000 when we lived in FL and am the only owner. I always changed the oil and did other maintenance at the dealership. What do you think I should do with it? Trade in value would only get it off my property!!! But realistically, the tires alone are probably worth 3-400$ and I don't know if there is any value to other parts (interior, exterior or mechanical).

What would you do with it?

Last Online
    December 5th, 2018
    4x4
    2005 Toyota 4Runner
    User Name
    Terrafied
    Real Name
    Michael
    Thanks Given

If you are looking for a V8, and why wouldn't you, they were only available from 2003-2009. My 05 is a V8, the first year of the vvti v8 which has a bit more power, and I love it. All the V8s were either 2wd or AWD with center diff lock for 4wd. Gas mileage isn't bad with the V8, I get an average of 15-17 mpg around town and in the 20s on the highway. The only V8 with factory diff lock in the rear was the 2009 Trail edition, which is pretty rare and quite expensive if you can find them. Anything you get with either a 4.0 or a 4.7 is a pretty bullet proof engine. Mine has 170,000 miles and engine still runs like new, as does the transmission. V8 only thing to worry about is the timing belt and the cracked exhaust manifolds. I'm 6'4 and I fit fine in mine, but I have a sunroof so it gives me a little more head room. The windshield is a little low profile and it can be hard to see stop lights with out slouching down but as is life when your tall.

Last Online
    July 7th, 2023
    4x4
    2017 JKUR Recon
    User Name
    dieseldoc
    Real Name
    Brandon
    Thanks Given

"So... while we're shopping for a new vehicle, I keep wondering what we should do with the van. It isn't worth anything really. I guess if we wanted to put a new tranny and windshield in it it would still serve a purpose for around town, but I wouldn't consider a road trip in it. For the past couple years we've used it for a ton of hauling (slash from our property) and for trips to the airport and simple in-town use and it was fine. We had the brakes fixed last year and we also put 4 new tires on it a year ago so they cost more than the van is probably worth. It's a 2000 Honda Odyssey with about 180K on it. 2WD. I bought it new in 2000 when we lived in FL and am the only owner. I always changed the oil and did other maintenance at the dealership. What do you think I should do with it? Trade in value would only get it off my property!!! But realistically, the tires alone are probably worth 3-400$ and I don't know if there is any value to other parts (interior, exterior or mechanical).

What would you do with it?"

Donation! I think 13th step would do wonders with this thing.
    They would fix it and sell it to a needy family, as well giving a man that is trying to clean up his life something to work on and learn about.
    This way you get the tax value from it and some one gets it later fixed and happy.
    The transmission in these are well in the $4k range.
    so not worth your time.

Good luck Jackie.

28. The Following Member Says Thanks to dieseldoc For This Post:

Getaklu (January 17th, 2018)

Last Online
    April 6th, 2019
    4x4
    Toyota/Scout/Nissan
    User Name
    Patrolman
    Real Name
    Jeff
    Thanks Given

I am all for donating and supporting charities. If you are interested in donating for the tax deduction, keep in mind the rules changed for 2018. Unfortunately there may be no tax benefit...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast