Front Range 4x4 Upcoming Trail Runs - Add a New Trail Run

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Is this a decent deal 2001 Jeep Wrangler?

Last Online
    3 Weeks Ago
    4x4
    2021 Jeep Unlimited Rubicon Xtreme Recon
    User Name
    RockyMtRebel
    Real Name
    Matt
    Thanks Given

Default Re: Is this a decent deal 2001 Jeep Wrangler?

THanks for the words of caution Paul, all great points! I'm definitely not jumping on anything, as I don't really NEED another vehicle. I definitely want a purpose-built trail rig and a Jeep with mods and lockers is definitely the ticket since my current rig is really my winter daily driver and will never be a Jeep

I should see it this morning and will snap some pics and post up here to see what y'all think!

Last Online
    16 Hours Ago
    4x4
    1970CJ5 1958WillysWagon
    User Name
    FINOCJ
    Real Name
    James Orofino
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,588 Times in 965 Posts

I wouldn't say trail miles are necessarily bad...especially for an engine. Most of my trail miles are at low rpm at low speed and with minimal load on the engine due to gearing. Most people's trail rigs don't actually get that many trail miles. For every ten trail miles I put on mine, it gets a 100 plus just getting to the trail and back on highway, and most trail rigs aren't used in stop and go traffic, pulling trailers etc. Additionally, I think high speed pavement cruising in our pothole filled streets is much worse on a lot of the components in terms of hard hits and fatigue than slow motion flex. Of course, we do get in trouble breaking stuff off road, but its normally when the skinny pedal gets involved.

Some components do take some extra wear for the mileage, but for a vehicle of the same age with normal driving and amount of mileage, I don't think its much different. Besides, if buyer is thinking of using it as a trail rig, then that also changes the situation. What I would buy for a trail rig has different specs than if I wanted it for a DD.

Last Online
    January 2nd, 2019
    4x4
    TJ
    User Name
    GPP33
    Real Name
    Pete
    Thanks Given

FINOCJ previously posted:
    "I wouldn't say trail miles are necessarily bad...especially for an engine. Most of my trail miles are at low rpm at low speed and with minimal load on the engine due to gearing. Most people's trail rigs don't actually get that many trail miles. For every ten trail miles I put on mine, it gets a 100 plus just getting to the trail and back on highway, and most trail rigs aren't used in stop and go traffic, pulling trailers etc. Additionally, I think high speed pavement cruising in our pothole filled streets is much worse on a lot of the components in terms of hard hits and fatigue than slow motion flex. Of course, we do get in trouble breaking stuff off road, but its normally when the skinny pedal gets involved.

Some components do take some extra wear for the mileage, but for a vehicle of the same age with normal driving and amount of mileage, I don't think its much different. Besides, if buyer is thinking of using it as a trail rig, then that also changes the situation. What I would buy for a trail rig has different specs than if I wanted it for a DD."

i agree with this. I'll also add in that 100,000 miles isn't really low mileage. That's over 6k per year. That's more than my truck or my Jeep saw this year, and last, and probably the year before that. My wife's car on the other hand is about twice that, all in town stop and go.

Last Online
    3 Weeks Ago
    4x4
    User Name
    RockyMtRebel
    Real Name
    Matt
    Thanks Given

Took some pics... definitely has some leaking/weeping seals on rear differential, front of engine, all over the drivetrain really. No dripping but lots of seeping.

Let me know what you guys think from these pics....

Last Online
    3 Weeks Ago
    4x4
    User Name
    RockyMtRebel
    Real Name
    Matt
    Thanks Given

body, bumpers, etc.... images

Last Online
    3 Weeks Ago
    4x4
    User Name
    RockyMtRebel
    Real Name
    Matt
    Thanks Given

My personal feelings is this is overpriced, considering how much leaking I can see. Front diff looks a little leaky also but rear is pretty wet all around it. Can't tell for sure but front diff does not look the same as rear (Dana 44), Pinion seals seem to be leaking, engine was definitely leaky/wet. I think I'd have to put a couple $G's to put it into decent shape...... think I'd rather spend more initially for something that's trail-ready.... Any thoughts from you Jeep folks with experience? I really want a jeep so I can do trails my Ram just can't...... Maybe I'll trade my Pontiac G8 GT in for a used Rubi in the $20k range instead. My Ram is new (and not cheap) so I don't think I want to spend over $25K on a Jeep and would rather be in the $10-$15K range.

Last Online
    13 Hours Ago
    4x4
    2012 Rock Ware Buggy & 2007 JKUR
    User Name
    newracer
    Real Name
    Michael
    Thanks Given

6k miles a year is low mileage. 12k a year is considered average. My TJ is really low at 44k, it's a '99. It spends more miles on the trailer than road now.

The front is a D30. I still think its a fair price, but I'd still try to get it lower if I was buying it. Leaky diffs are easy to fix unless the axle seals are leaking.

I have seen better deals but you would have to go out of state to get them.

Last Online
    December 23rd, 2023
    4x4
    2006 Jeep LJ
    User Name
    Java
    Real Name
    Paul
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,788 Times in 1,261 Posts

That's pretty nice, I see why you like it. lots of good parts and doesn't look like it's been wheeled too hard. The OEM steps would have likely gotten crushed if it had. Lower control arms are a little mushroomed, but that's so easy to do it doesn't mean much. Even the skid looks like it's scuffed but not dented up, and all the mods look like bolt-ons, so probably nothing is cut or welded. Nice matching bumpers. I think it would be money well spent to have a real mechanic, preferably a 4x4 or Jeep one, go through it and make an offer based on that. It has a lot of potential at the right price, IMO.

Last Online
    December 23rd, 2023
    4x4
    2006 Jeep LJ
    User Name
    Java
    Real Name
    Paul
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,788 Times in 1,261 Posts

"I wouldn't say trail miles are necessarily bad...especially for an engine. Most of my trail miles are at low rpm at low speed and with minimal load on the engine due to gearing. Most people's trail rigs don't actually get that many trail miles. For every ten trail miles I put on mine, it gets a 100 plus just getting to the trail and back on highway, and most trail rigs aren't used in stop and go traffic, pulling trailers etc. Additionally, I think high speed pavement cruising in our pothole filled streets is much worse on a lot of the components in terms of hard hits and fatigue than slow motion flex. Of course, we do get in trouble breaking stuff off road, but its normally when the skinny pedal gets involved.

Some components do take some extra wear for the mileage, but for a vehicle of the same age with normal driving and amount of mileage, I don't think its much different. Besides, if buyer is thinking of using it as a trail rig, then that also changes the situation. What I would buy for a trail rig has different specs than if I wanted it for a DD."

Valid points.

Last Online
    31 Minutes Ago
    4x4
    1990 Jeep Wrangler (YJ)
    User Name
    Jim
    Real Name
    Jim Williamson
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 3,008 Times in 2,005 Posts

Diff cover seep isn't any concern to me. I'd be concerned with pinion seals and axle seals. Both pinions seems to have some wetness to have dust/dirt sticking - but not so much as to wipe away dust/dirt. No comment on price but it seems like a fairly clean / unmolested vehicle (muffler might be up for replace - no big deal). If you're happy enough to buy it - do so and wheel as-is for a season (yea, rip those side steps off) then think if you're happy with gearing and rear axle - if yes - rear locker it and keep as-is for another year and decide if you want larger tires - how large - and how much the suspension / body lift you wish to go.

Last Online
    16 Hours Ago
    4x4
    1970CJ5 1958WillysWagon
    User Name
    FINOCJ
    Real Name
    James Orofino
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,588 Times in 965 Posts

Seems like its worth pursuing for that price if its what you want. The axle doesn't look like like matching 44s, but its probably a not problem if you are keeping the tire size reasonable and don't overdrive it off road with a locker. Seeping seals are pretty easy to fix - not to mention it doesn't really hurt much and doesn't affect driveability. Jeeps like to mark their spot, not to mention, if mine didn't leak a little - it would be out of fluid! For a trail duty rig on a budget I wouldn't be worried about that kind of stuff. Engine and drivetrain noises would be more my focus. But you could use the leaks to help negotiate a better price. I don't like to pay for accessories, but they are nice as icing on the cake of a fair deal, and this one would come with a good front/rear bumper (sorry that rear bumper is ugly to me) and winch, and tires that can be used right off the bat on the trail. The highline fenders are also nice little add-on. I wouldn't pay extra for those, but its stuff that does come in handy when off road and allows for an immediate trail rig that you could also change and modify on your own time frame and budget without having to wait to wheel it. As Paul said, I think its got potential at the right price and probably worth meeting the seller and see how motivated they might be. Its not a Rubicon so you should have some negotiating leverage, and you can point out all the flaws you mentioned above. At the same time, if you envision more a jeep on 35-37s, locked front and back etc, then its gonna cost you a lot to build this one up (assuming you are contracting a shop to do the work). But for a solid trail jeep running 33s and maybe locking the rear at some point - seems like a good start. Junk those side-step, throw on a set of sliders and go wheel it as is...It would run a lot of stuff except rated 8 and higher. without lockers you might have to put the winch to work every once in awhile.

Last Online
    3 Weeks Ago
    4x4
    User Name
    RockyMtRebel
    Real Name
    Matt
    Thanks Given

Thanks again guys, appreciate all the comments! I put my Pontiac up for sale so I hope that sells quickly (would justify buying something). I'll think about this Jeep and maybe negotiate a lower price since I have leaks and incorrect Dana 44 advertised. I'm not in a hurry and probably will wait for something a little more built up (and expensive) so I can be in a better starting place

Last Online
    13 Hours Ago
    4x4
    User Name
    newracer
    Real Name
    Michael
    Thanks Given

If you pursue it definitely verify that the axles have been re-geared.

Last Online
    13 Hours Ago
    4x4
    User Name
    newracer
    Real Name
    Michael
    Thanks Given

If you are on Facebook join "Rockcrawling Classifieds." There have been some really good deals on there lately but they would require going out of state to get them.

Last Online
    31 Minutes Ago
    4x4
    1990 Jeep Wrangler (YJ)
    User Name
    Jim
    Real Name
    Jim Williamson
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 3,008 Times in 2,005 Posts

"Junk those side-step, throw on a set of sliders and go wheel it as is...It would run a lot of stuff except rated 8 and higher. without lockers you might have to put the winch to work every once in awhile."

Good summary.

FWIW - I have 35's, D44 rear and HPD30 front with 410 gearing (though with a teralow). ARB's on both. I am not concerned about the 30 on the front. It hasn't failed me and I don't expect to be in a spot where it might (though yes it certainly could).

Last Online
    3 Weeks Ago
    4x4
    User Name
    RockyMtRebel
    Real Name
    Matt
    Thanks Given

Jim, I love your rig and that's sorta what I'm looking for. Something that I can wheel in tight and rocky terrain that won't do damage to my brand new Ram.

My sons '55 is getting brakes gone thru right now, also blasting and powder coating the wheels and putting brand new Super Swamper 29x8.5x15" tires on it next week! Hoping to have new shocks, bushings and upgraded steering components done soon but have to find the parts first. Manual should show up today so we know the parts to order.

Last Online
    January 2nd, 2019
    4x4
    TJ
    User Name
    GPP33
    Real Name
    Pete
    Thanks Given

I don't see a single rock hit under that thing, soft top even looks to be in good shape. Other than some faded plastic it looks pretty clean. As others have said, don't worry about the weaping oil, it's a Jeep thing. If the engine is making good power, there aren't any strange noises and it looks good under the hood it's probably a good buy. If you get it I'll start working on your shopping list for you, I see a few stock components that need to go!

Last Online
    November 3rd, 2023
    4x4
    84 CJ8
    User Name
    Spieg
    Real Name
    Brian
    Thanks Given

If it ain't leaking, it must be empty!

Last Online
    July 26th, 2020
    4x4
    sami buggy
    User Name
    redneck23ms
    Real Name
    alex
    Thanks Given

i agree that there are better deals out there for tj's. especially if you're not looking for something that you have to daily drive. you should be able to fine a fairly well built tj on 33-35's for under 10k

Last Online
    July 26th, 2020
    4x4
    sami buggy
    User Name
    redneck23ms
    Real Name
    alex
    Thanks Given

heres a nicely built cherokee. its alot of money for a cherokee but its ready to go. https://fortcollins.craigslist.org/c...279919149.html
    heres a 99 tacoma https://denver.craigslist.org/cto/d/...301374424.html
    pretty nice cj7 https://cosprings.craigslist.org/cto...304375217.html
    theres plenty of deals out there. you just have to decide what all you want in a rig and look.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast