User Name
    PhillipG65
    Real Name
    Phillip
    Thanks Given

Default need welder, fabricator

I am designing sliders for my 04 F-150
    I will be using I beam material and plate steel
    They will be running along bottom of body and will use pieces to build the support system

Last Online
    December 23rd, 2023
    4x4
    2006 Jeep LJ
    User Name
    Java
    Real Name
    Paul
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,788 Times in 1,261 Posts

Default Re: need welder, fabricator

Just my 2c, FWIW...

A real skilled fabricator is expensive and it adds up fast, a half day of fab can easily run $500.00 or more. And it's worth it when you have the right guy, real fabricators are magicians. Noone saves money on custom fabrication, it's inherently expensive.

So rather than getting a fish from someone, a couple of years ago Brad and I learned how to fish at Club Workshop (now closed, but lots of places offer them) with a class on basic welding. It cost $90.00 took about 4 hours, and we learned how to do basic beads but more importantly how to do proper prep for welding. I've spent about $300.00 total on two angle grinders (one as a cut off, one as a grinder) sawzall blades, a small bench grinder a 14" chop saw and a Harbor Freight 90amp welder, gloves, apron and helmet, also some misc. hand tools like brushes and clamps.

I can make anything I want with that setup, and the little welder does a nice job on anything up to 3/16" after some practice. Everyone I know with a HF90 welder loves it, everyone without one thinks it must be crap. It works is all I can say, over and over it does the job. I've found that setting it on High with a speed of 4 is the only way I use it aside from sheet metal, then I just turn it to Low with the same speed. Anything structural, like the frame on my trailer, I do all my fab work, welding prep and tack it with the HF90, then it's just a LOT less to pay a truly skilled welder to burn it up on a bigger machine.

Compared to what guys like Brucker can do it's nothing, but I've done sliders, skid plates, brackets, and some repairs with it; its paid for itself over and over, and since I'm just doing one of something I can be diligent, measure 10x and cut once, and have had some good results with it. Being able to do simple welds is a great skill for this hobby and can save you a ton of $$ in the long run.

3. The Following Member Says Thanks to Java For This Post:

PhillipG65 (September 26th, 2017)

Last Online
    10 Hours Ago
    4x4
    1970CJ5 1958WillysWagon
    User Name
    FINOCJ
    Real Name
    James Orofino
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,588 Times in 965 Posts

Unless its re-opened somewhere....Club workshop closed a few years ago. I did a welding course there to get started enough to buy a 120V Lincoln MIG welder. As Paul says, I haven't regretted it one bit. I went with a Lincoln as it only cost a bit more than the HF, and allowed for either flux core wire or shielding gas bottle (which makes much cleaner looking and I think stronger, consistent lower porosity welds - although a lot of that is metal prep/cleaning). It does have limitations for metal thickness - 3/16 is about its limit and I worry about things that are structural enough that could cost me or someone else serious injury if it failed. I like Paul's idea of tacking it together and taking to a professional for final welding. Of course, its not just the cost of the welder, but also the grinding wheels, cut-off discs and other metal working tools. I really enjoy learning how to work with metal. If it were me starting over again, I would go for a slightly nicer 120V welder with more voltage and wire speed adjustment such as a Hobart 140 although my Lincoln is fine, and other than initial learning and practice, begin working with shielding gas bottle from the start.

5. The Following Member Says Thanks to FINOCJ For This Post:

PhillipG65 (September 26th, 2017)

Last Online
    July 10th, 2021
    4x4
    04' jeep grand cherokee limited
    User Name
    PhillipG65
    Real Name
    Phillip
    Thanks Given

Paul previously posted:
    "Just my 2c, FWIW...

A real skilled fabricator is expensive and it adds up fast, a half day of fab can easily run $500.00 or more. And it's worth it when you have the right guy, real fabricators are magicians. Noone saves money on custom fabrication, it's inherently expensive.

So rather than getting a fish from someone, a couple of years ago Brad and I learned how to fish at Club Workshop (now closed, but lots of places offer them) with a class on basic welding. It cost $90.00 took about 4 hours, and we learned how to do basic beads but more importantly how to do proper prep for welding. I've spent about $300.00 total on two angle grinders (one as a cut off, one as a grinder) sawzall blades, a small bench grinder a 14" chop saw and a Harbor Freight 90amp welder, gloves, apron and helmet, also some misc. hand tools like brushes and clamps.

I can make anything I want with that setup, and the little welder does a nice job on anything up to 3/16" after some practice. Everyone I know with a HF90 welder loves it, everyone without one thinks it must be crap. It works is all I can say, over and over it does the job. I've found that setting it on High with a speed of 4 is the only way I use it aside from sheet metal, then I just turn it to Low with the same speed. Anything structural, like the frame on my trailer, I do all my fab work, welding prep and tack it with the HF90, then it's just a LOT less to pay a truly skilled welder to burn it up on a bigger machine.

Compared to what guys like Brucker can do it's nothing, but I've done sliders, skid plates, brackets, and some repairs with it; its paid for itself over and over, and since I'm just doing one of something I can be diligent, measure 10x and cut once, and have had some good results with it. Being able to do simple welds is a great skill for this hobby and can save you a ton of $$ in the long run."

That is really cool and appreciated Paul !!!!!!!! Words of wisdom.
    It would be worth while to get a little guy like you mentioned, I did metal shop before, and some is still retained.
    Of coarse nothing worth making a resume by but I bet I could do a few small projects.
    I am still leaning back and forth over the sliders on my truck, after getting most of the rear end done, I seem to have a great deal of ground clearance.
    I believe I still would benefit from having them but .......... as you can see, still thinking, weighing the pros and cons
    But seriously, thank you Paul

Last Online
    July 10th, 2021
    4x4
    04' jeep grand cherokee limited
    User Name
    PhillipG65
    Real Name
    Phillip
    Thanks Given

FINOCJ previously posted:
    "Unless its re-opened somewhere....Club workshop closed a few years ago. I did a welding course there to get started enough to buy a 120V Lincoln MIG welder. As Paul says, I haven't regretted it one bit. I went with a Lincoln as it only cost a bit more than the HF, and allowed for either flux core wire or shielding gas bottle (which makes much cleaner looking and I think stronger, consistent lower porosity welds - although a lot of that is metal prep/cleaning). It does have limitations for metal thickness - 3/16 is about its limit and I worry about things that are structural enough that could cost me or someone else serious injury if it failed. I like Paul's idea of tacking it together and taking to a professional for final welding. Of course, its not just the cost of the welder, but also the grinding wheels, cut-off discs and other metal working tools. I really enjoy learning how to work with metal. If it were me starting over again, I would go for a slightly nicer 120V welder with more voltage and wire speed adjustment such as a Hobart 140 although my Lincoln is fine, and other than initial learning and practice, begin working with shielding gas bottle from the start."

Thank you very much James!!!!! I really appreciate that input !!! You and Paul have inspired me. I believe I could build my own things with just a little welder.
    Of coarse need practice and a little refresher coarse but I think this can work.
    I did do metal shop in school and seem to have retained some of the basics.
    But I'll have to see if I really feel I need sliders, I am starting to lean away from them.
    But the elephant is looking real good as a baja !!! LOL
    Dug into the rear end today...Whew EEE that was so much work just to get all that stuff cleared out.
    I will post some pictures as I start pulling it back together.
    I have gained ssssoooo much ground clearance already I'm like WOW.....
    Ok anyway, James....Thanks again !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last Online
    December 8th, 2020
    4x4
    '97 Ford Explorer XLT
    User Name
    ExplorerTom
    Real Name
    Tom
    Thanks Given

That I-beam is going to collect mud like no one's business: top and bottom.

Have you priced out material yet? Do that and then give this guy a call:
    http://www.303welding.com

9. The Following Member Says Thanks to ExplorerTom For This Post:

PhillipG65 (September 27th, 2017)

Last Online
    8 Hours Ago
    4x4
    91 Jeep Cherokee
    User Name
    JandDGreens
    Real Name
    David
    Thanks Given

I subscribe to video updates from Eastwood they sell all kinds of tools and have tons of how to video's. I find them very helpful when learning how to weld/paint just about anything automotive related.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7S352if1HO8

11. The Following Member Says Thanks to JandDGreens For This Post:

PhillipG65 (October 8th, 2017)

Last Online
    July 7th, 2023
    4x4
    2017 JKUR Recon
    User Name
    dieseldoc
    Real Name
    Brandon
    Thanks Given

As most folks are starting to do there own work now days the stuff needed is getting a bit less expencive.
    A quality welder is you most expensive item.
    The Hobart handler 140 was my machine of choice.
    At around $500 over at you local farm supply store.
    It can handle 1/4 material with no issues.
    I ran gasless wire as they tend to run hotter.
    These are built by Miller so your getting a quality unit.
    And runs on 110v.
    There new 190 is a nice unit and can be found in 110/220 smart voltage and still a great little unit with ability to be mobile and run off standard wall outlets.

13. The Following Member Says Thanks to dieseldoc For This Post:

PhillipG65 (October 8th, 2017)

Last Online
    June 30th, 2019
    4x4
    2003 4Runner
    User Name
    KFM1961
    Real Name
    Kevin
    Thanks Given

I agree with the other guys about learning how to do the work yourself and getting some basic equipment. Also mentioned was the prep work for welding, VERY important part are clean and pieces fit correctly. I do my own work, mostly tig and some mig. At one time I had to have my welds certified by xray for the faa and dod work. Now I just build stuff for myself.

BTW, I would recommend using square or round tubing in place of I-beam. Make sure the load will be adequately distributed at the frame and allow clearance for body flex.

Good luck and have fun with your project !

15. The Following Member Says Thanks to KFM1961 For This Post:

PhillipG65 (October 9th, 2017)

Last Online
    8 Hours Ago
    4x4
    91 Jeep Cherokee
    User Name
    JandDGreens
    Real Name
    David
    Thanks Given