4x4
    '14 Grand Cherokee, '01 F350
    User Name
    Bob
    Real Name
    Bob
    Thanks Given

Default Offroad Tire Pressure with Lower Profile Tires

I got to wondering about the appropriateness of the usual air down pressure advice on lower profile tires, like the 265/60-R18 on my WK2 Grand Cherokee. Typically, one hears 15 PSI as a starting point for offroad, or alternatively some use a sidewall height of no less than 75% of highway pressure.

So, I made some measurements of tire sidewall height as a function of pressure on the heavy front of my WK2. I used a combination square with an integrated level to ensure accurate readings, and an accurate electronic pressure gauge. Here are the results (in mm and calculated inches since my square happened to line up that way):

Front 265/60-R18
    PSI Sidewall, mm inch Percent
    35 113 4.4 100
    30 110 4.3 97
    25 105 4.1 93
    20 100 3.9 88
    15 94 3.7 83

(For this size tire, Jeep recommends 33 PSI at max GVW; the Toyo tire pressure table indicates 30 PSI for a more normal weight.)

It's clear that 75% will not be achieved until 10 PSI or less, but even at 20 PSI the sidewall already had a very large bulge that I fear could easily result in pinching the tire or cutting a sidewall since the rim is only about 4 inches from the ground. That danger wouldn't be much of a factor on typical higher profile tires on a Wrangler for example. The good news is that clearance only changes slightly, about 0.7 inches even from 35 to 15 PSI.

I think what this shows is that reducing offroad pressure on lower profile tires should be done very cautiously and only to the reduced pressure required to get adequate traction and ride comfort.

I'd appreciate any comments on this.

Last Online
    2 Hours Ago
    4x4
    1970CJ5 1958WillysWagon
    User Name
    FINOCJ
    Real Name
    James Orofino
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,602 Times in 972 Posts

Default Re: Offroad Tire Pressure with Lower Profile Tires

I like what you are thinking here. Another way I see people discuss how much to air down refers to the size or area of the contact surface between the tire and flat pavement - I think the old rule of thumb is you are looking to double the contact patch (this can be checked with chalk). It would be interesting to compare the contact patch of low profile to a more standard off road tire.

From my own thought process...Low profile would have effectively stiffer sidewalls than the exact same tire construction with a full profile height (my thought is like the 'flexibility" of a steel beam - short beam doesn't flex much, long beam is a noodle). That would indicate maybe a lower than normal pressure - but not sure how that additional 'pooch' or sidewall bulge would affect the bead - might make it more likely to come off.

My final comment: I think for many alspplications - you can (and maybe should) air down more than you think. I realize my cj is an extreme version, but here is some other 'professionals' personal thoughts and pressure. looks to suggest that low profile tires might need lower pressures than comparable full profile to due short sidewall, but that they would also be more susceptible to popping a bead.
    http://www.fourwheeler.com/how-to/15...nder-pressure/

I think you sum it up here: I think what this shows is that reducing offroad pressure on lower profile tires should be done very cautiously and only to the reduced pressure required to get adequate traction and ride comfort.

Of course that is not as easy to quantitatively figure out as it is to say! Thinking I might go even lower on my jeep - right now I run 9psi. Thinking maybe 7 for RedCone!

3. The Following Member Says Thanks to FINOCJ For This Post:

Bob (September 13th, 2017)

Last Online
    November 3rd, 2023
    4x4
    84 CJ8
    User Name
    Spieg
    Real Name
    Brian
    Thanks Given

Agree that you need to be cautious. In general terms, most low profile tires tend to have widths closer to the wheel width (opposed to most truck tires tend to be 3-4" wider than the wheels), which means you can really put the beads at increased risk of impact or even wheel damage when pressure is lowered.

5. The Following Member Says Thanks to Spieg For This Post:

Last Online
    1 Minute Ago
    4x4
    1990 Jeep Wrangler (YJ)
    User Name
    Jim
    Real Name
    Jim Williamson
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 3,024 Times in 2,012 Posts

FINOCJ previously posted:
    "Thinking I might go even lower on my jeep - right now I run 9psi. Thinking maybe 7 for RedCone"

So, should a bead pop, I have the good starter fluid to quickly re-seat it!!

Last Online
    14 Hours Ago
    4x4
    2012 Rock Ware Buggy & 2007 JKUR
    User Name
    newracer
    Real Name
    Michael
    Thanks Given

Another consideration is as a tire gets older the sidewalls flex more.

8. The Following Member Says Thanks to newracer For This Post:

Last Online
    June 16th, 2021
    4x4
    Poison Spyder buggy, 1999 4runner
    User Name
    TJS86TOY
    Real Name
    TJ
    Thanks Given

Bob previously posted:
    "I think what this shows is that reducing offroad pressure on lower profile tires should be done very cautiously and only to the reduced pressure required to get adequate traction and ride comfort."

I would agree with that statement. If it where my rig, I would be cautious about cracking an aluminum rim on a rock. Seems like your tire width won't change much being radial as opposed to my bias swampers when aired down. Somewhat the same is true with overall contact patch, you will gain some. Again, if it was my rig, I would go more for a comfort level pressure without the risk of pinching (cutting) a sidewall on the rim or cracking a rim.

10. The Following Member Says Thanks to TJS86TOY For This Post:

Last Online
    December 23rd, 2023
    4x4
    2006 Jeep LJ
    User Name
    Java
    Real Name
    Paul
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,788 Times in 1,261 Posts

Tire width is barely affected when airing down, even with a large sidewall. It's all about the length of the contact patch. There is a graphic in the link below:

"As can be seen from the side wall photo, the width of the tread actually touching the ground remains unchanged, although the side wall does flex (if it actually touches the ground) it may help a little with reducing the pressure of the whole tire footprint – but only marginally when compared to the increase in tread length in contact with the ground."

blog.arbusa.com/?p=255

It also makes you much less likely to puncture a tire, I'd worry more about flats if you didn't air down than did.

12. The Following Member Says Thanks to Java For This Post:

Last Online
    June 16th, 2021
    4x4
    Poison Spyder buggy, 1999 4runner
    User Name
    TJS86TOY
    Real Name
    TJ
    Thanks Given

Paul previously posted:
    "Tire width is barely affected when airing down, even with a large sidewall."

Yes and no, My bias ply swampers are greatly affected width vs. tire pressure with contact patch. Radial not so much. Reasoning, Bias when inflated tends to rise in the center section whereas radial maintains an even "flat" across the tread.

14. The Following Member Says Thanks to TJS86TOY For This Post:

Last Online
    December 6th, 2023
    4x4
    User Name
    Bob
    Real Name
    Bob
    Thanks Given

Thanks for the comments.

I hadn't thought about rim cracking risk but it could certainly happen with them close to the ground. If nothing else they are more likely to get scratched and scuffed. Unfortunately there is probably a fair risk of that even without airing down with this wheel/tire combination.

I thought about measuring the ground contact patch but didn't want to put that much effort into it.

Besides bottoming out the rim on the inside of the tread, I worry about the much more acute sidewall bending- almost a "U" at the lower pressures. I seems that could eventually cause a failure by itself even though speed is low. Considering a sharp rock touching the sidewall, at some point the flexibility to bend around the rock with lower pressure must be offset by the bending tension making the bulge quite stiff.

Well, I guess I'll not air down so much next time and see how the tires perform. I can always stop and let more air out!

Last Online
    1 Minute Ago
    4x4
    1990 Jeep Wrangler (YJ)
    User Name
    Jim
    Real Name
    Jim Williamson
    Thanks Given

From your last comments - I have an idea that you think your sidewall will be WAY bending to cause the rim to contact the ground (when hitting a rock). My thought of what's in your mind is that - just a thought. But, you could air down to a lower-than-you-go level, put the tire on a rock that you think would cause the condition - and get out and look (or spot someone to drive your jeep so you can see the overall motion). My thought is what I think you're thinking - won't be in effect. I think you will have more "typical" (not crazily bent) sidewall shape.

I agree with what you're saying (in the thread - overall) but I think there might be an area where real-world testing might be a "huh" moment.

If you wish to make a trail visit to specifically test air pressures / tire deflection over rocks, I'd be happy to join. Good science!

Last Online
    December 6th, 2023
    4x4
    User Name
    Bob
    Real Name
    Bob
    Thanks Given

Jim previously posted:
    "But, you could air down to a lower-than-you-go level, put the tire on a rock that you think would cause the condition - and get out and look (or spot someone to drive your jeep so you can see the overall motion)."

Good idea!

Today I put an artificial narrow obstacle under the width of a tire and reduced the pressure. The obstacle was 2-3/4" high and 1-5/8" wide. I didn't want to damage the tire with something narrower.

Front 265/60-R18
    PSI Rim Height Sidewall inch Percent
    35 178 108.0 4.3 100
    30 172 102.0 4.0 94
    25 166 96.0 3.8 89
    20 152 82.0 3.2 76
    15 130 60.0 2.4 56

The sidewall left over the obstacle really starts to diminish below 25 PSI. Only 75% at 20 and 55% at 15 PSI. This is without dynamic loads which would easily compress the tire further.

The picture is at 15 PSI, and it looks a lot worse in person. I think that is a very extreme sidewall flex - literally a "U" in cross section.

Last Online
    1 Minute Ago
    4x4
    1990 Jeep Wrangler (YJ)
    User Name
    Jim
    Real Name
    Jim Williamson
    Thanks Given

Nice test & pic.

19. The Following Member Says Thanks to Jim For This Post:

Bob (September 15th, 2017)

Last Online
    December 6th, 2023
    4x4
    User Name
    Bob
    Real Name
    Bob
    Thanks Given

I came up with an easy way to approximate the tire contact area without inking the tire and jacking the tire up and down on paper for each data point.

Lay a ruler on the ground snug against the tread and parallel with the direction of travel. Then slide an index card between the ground and the tire on each side until they stop and read the distance between the two on the ruler. Change tire pressure and repeat. The width of the tire footprint changes very little, so the contact length is proportional to the contact area.

Here is the data for the same tire again, and plotted on the same graph as before. The contact area gets larger as pressure decreases and the rate of change really increases below 25 PSI. Interestingly the sidewall height above a narrow obstacle is almost a mirror image of the contact area for the particular obstacle I chose.

So unfortunately a big improvement in contact area requires a big loss of sidewall height and increased risk for these lower profile tires, and tires with taller sidewalls are clearly better for reduced pressure offroad use.

Contact Length
    Front 265/60-R18
    PSI Distance inch Percent
    35 182 7.2 100
    30 194 7.6 107
    25 203 8.0 112
    20 225 8.9 124
    15 263 10.4 145

21. The Following Member Says Thanks to Bob For This Post:

Java (September 16th, 2017)