4x4
    Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
    User Name
    Max
    Real Name
    Max
    Thanks Given

Default Re: 2017 Spring Adopt-A-Trail Clean up run

It's almost Friday! Who's excited to go 4 wheeling this weekend?

Last Online
    July 26th, 2020
    4x4
    sami buggy
    User Name
    redneck23ms
    Real Name
    alex
    Thanks Given

I am not able to make this run as I will be out of town am d that is partially why I have stayed out of the discussion. But to me making this like that a requirement will only push more people away from this group. I have posted probably at least a dozen times on here looking for people to go wheeling and I bet I can count on one hand the number of times somebody from here has gone. It's not just here that is like that either. And it's not that I don't care about trails either as I pick up trash every time I'm out wheeling. Just my 2 cents. Belittling people who can't make it isn't a way to boost participation.

3. The Following 2 Members Say Thanks to redneck23ms For This Post:

Brian (June 22nd, 2017),Chris (June 22nd, 2017)

Last Online
    August 19th, 2021
    4x4
    1992 Range Rover Classic
    User Name
    Swank1975
    Real Name
    Mike
    Thanks Given

I'm excited to go wheeling. When I ran Barbour fork last year it was my in 2011 Nissan Frontier Pro4x double cab short bed. I needed 4 low and I had Goodyear wrangler tires. No lift, stock tire size, etc. My passenger front bumper below the fogs got a few scratches into the plastic that were barely visible. Everything else went well. It's a great trail.

Last Online
    June 8th, 2018
    4x4
    86 Ford Bronco, 99 Ford Ranger.
    User Name
    javaman34
    Real Name
    Jerry
    Thanks Given

Unfortunately, I work on Saturdays. I will have go catch the run in the fall if I can.

Last Online
    April 21st, 2021
    4x4
    2004 Jeep LJ
    User Name
    Brian
    Real Name
    Brian
    Thanks Given

I think it’s more a case of expectation management.

If there are members on here that believe the cleanup runs are of the utmost importance, good for them. They obviously can believe whatever they want, and be as passionate as they want as well. But to expect that all members should feel equally obligated about it as they do is presumptuous at best or woefully arrogant at worst. There is no need to question other member’s integrity, motives and priorities without even a clue or insight to any of it.

How about not assuming the worst of members that aren’t jumping through their butt to take part in something others personally deem crucial. Why not show a little respect for people’s priorities in their personal lives and be open minded enough to at least consider the possibility they just can’t make it. No one here should feel they need to justify their involvement or lack thereof in member runs, events, donations or other contributions.

By any measure this is a great group of people. From my perspective, members here have had nothing but the best intentions when helping each other, giving back to the 4x4 community and stepping up to give in whatever way they can; when they can. This, not negative insinuations about each other is what keeps people coming back and new people at least giving this group a try.

7. The Following 2 Members Say Thanks to Brian For This Post:

Chris (June 22nd, 2017),Swank1975 (June 22nd, 2017)

Last Online
    July 26th, 2020
    4x4
    sami buggy
    User Name
    redneck23ms
    Real Name
    alex
    Thanks Given

Well said Doink. You said what I was thinking a lot better than I put it down

Last Online
    September 9th, 2019
    4x4
    07 Wrangler Rubicon
    User Name
    Eagle6
    Real Name
    David
    Thanks Given

I know I'm one of the new guys here so. What you are experiencing is not unique to this group or any other group I know of. Nor is it unique to the motor sport either. I do other things that have clean up days and such and belong to organization that have 1000s of members and watch 20 show up.

But first off I would say don't cancel and don't postpone. For those that said they would show up, they may have given up something else to do this and it is not fair to them to cancel now and leave them hanging for both.

Second it doesn't matter how many show up. We will get done what we get done. If we don't finish it is still better than it was before.

I know it is a simple philosophy, but live this for yourselves, just live up to your own expectations and screw the others.

Last Online
    December 23rd, 2023
    4x4
    2006 Jeep LJ
    User Name
    Java
    Real Name
    Paul
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,788 Times in 1,261 Posts

Nothing personal. I didn't call anyone out by name, I have never met most of you and don't have any interest in personal conflicts with anyone who chooses to be offended and chooses to respond. You picked you, and if you think I meant you specifically you are wrong. You don't owe me or anyone else any excuses, based on participation I say most people on this forum do not genuinely care about this and math agrees with me.

Many people have been members for years and have never once volunteered. It says Volunteer next to your name if you ever have, even once, participated in the spring or fall clean up runs, the Caravan for Kids, or the Turkey Run. There have been some other small things over the years, but those are standard. If you volunteered for anything since 2011 when I joined it says Volunteer next to your name: That's for 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014. In 2015 it changed to Volunteer 15, and in 2016 Volunteer 16. If you've ever participated you have that, otherwise I don't know where you get off being offended.

It doesn't make you a bad person, it just means you have not been motivated to clean up trails with this forum. Ever. Like one of the sigs on this forum says, we make time for what is important to us. If you haven't made time in all the years you've been on this forum, then it's not important to you. Basing that on lack of participation over multiple years, not anything personal. Again, never named anyone, you took it upon yourself to be offended. However, I'll be happy to apologize to anyone who was offended this Saturday at the cleanup run.

Last Online
    July 20th, 2018
    4x4
    RAM 1500 and Jeep WK2
    User Name
    nickpgoodman
    Real Name
    Nick
    Thanks Given

Hypoid previously posted:
    "You "should" be OK. Does your GC have 4-low?"

Yes on 4-lo. It's the overland model and has air suspension as well. I put on 18" JK Sahara rims with the DuraTracs. Been on lots of different trails, but some people's idea of "easy/moderate" are wildly different. I've done Georgia Pass, Yankee Hill, Peak 10 breck, Missouri and Illinois Gulch (off of Rampart Range) with no clearance issues to speak of just to name a few if that helps.

Last Online
    August 19th, 2021
    4x4
    1992 Range Rover Classic
    User Name
    Swank1975
    Real Name
    Mike
    Thanks Given

Hey I did the turkey run this year in my Rover. How do I get my volunteer status.

Last Online
    April 5th, 2022
    4x4
    11 Rubicon Unlimited, 95 YJ, 86 CJ7, 87 Dodge W250
    User Name
    ColoJeeper
    Real Name
    Don
    Thanks Given

And I led that turkey run in a black charger......

Last Online
    December 3rd, 2023
    4x4
    1990 Cherokee
    User Name
    Hypoid
    Real Name
    Mike
    Thanks Given

nickpgoodman previously posted:
    "Yes on 4-lo. It's the overland model and has air suspension as well. I put on 18" JK Sahara rims with the DuraTracs. Been on lots of different trails, but some people's idea of "easy/moderate" are wildly different. I've done Georgia Pass, Yankee Hill, Peak 10 breck, Missouri and Illinois Gulch (off of Rampart Range) with no clearance issues to speak of just to name a few if that helps."

I think you will be OK. The worst section has a by-pass.

Last Online
    December 3rd, 2023
    4x4
    1990 Cherokee
    User Name
    Hypoid
    Real Name
    Mike
    Thanks Given

Swank1975 previously posted:
    "Hey I did the turkey run this year in my Rover. How do I get my volunteer status. "

ColoJeeper previously posted:
    "And I led that turkey run in a black charger......"

You need to PM the Admin.

16. The Following Member Says Thanks to Hypoid For This Post:

Swank1975 (June 22nd, 2017)

Last Online
    11 Hours Ago
    4x4
    User Name
    Max
    Real Name
    Max
    Thanks Given

Paul previously posted:
    "However, I'll be happy to apologize to anyone who was offended this Saturday at the cleanup run."

I was offended, but in lieu of an apology I would like a chocolate frosted doughnut.

Just kidding. I wasn't offended, but I still like doughnuts!

Last Online
    11 Hours Ago
    4x4
    User Name
    Max
    Real Name
    Max
    Thanks Given

Hypoid previously posted:

Last Online
    December 14th, 2019
    4x4
    96 Explrer XLT / 94 Explrer Sport / 92 Explrer XLT
    User Name
    96EXXLTinCO
    Real Name
    Chad
    Thanks Given

nickpgoodman previously posted:
    "Hi everyone. New guy here. I've gone on Devil's Canyon before in my Grand Cherokee (stock except for duratrac tires) no problem. What about Barbour Fork, would I be able to run that trail for the cleanup with the GC?"

I've done this trail several times in the Explorer I used for my avatar pic. It has 31" tires and not a ton of clearance, but good line selection has gotten me through no problem, I have however, knocked on some rocks here and there with the undercarriage. It can be done in a stocker, but just be prepared to hear things underneath you might not want to. That being said, I've made it all the way through with no noise also.

Last Online
    November 21st, 2023
    4x4
    4Runner
    User Name
    Chris
    Real Name
    Chris
    Thanks Given

Regardless of this discussion I have to back out.

Last Online
    August 19th, 2021
    4x4
    1992 Range Rover Classic
    User Name
    Swank1975
    Real Name
    Mike
    Thanks Given

**** happens. I spent most of this evening getting the downstairs ready for sanding and restaining next week. We have to move out Sunday for 6 days. So if I'm going Saturday i've got to have most done by tomorrow. The son is coming over Sunday to help carry the bigger stuff before we head to our hotel. Dishwasher leaked water and damaged our floors so we filed an insurance claim.

Last Online
    1 Day Ago
    4x4
    2008 Jeep Rubicon
    User Name
    Jackie
    Real Name
    Jackie
    Thanks Given

I've done Devils Canyon a few times for the clean-up runs over the years and it's a lot of fun!... I MAY have done Barbour Fork once (but if I did, it is a blur to me out of fear - It may have been a different trail)! I faintly remember being spotted over a huge "hole" without flopping and was greatful! I hope to make it this weekend and will run DC again.

Contrary to popular belief, smaller groups for clean-up runs can be more "enjoyable" in smaller groups because you can actually spread out a little bit and get some work accomplished yet still have time to chat with the members and get to know each other. With larger groups, you find yourself stuck in a long line and all the trash and damage has already been taken care of by the folks in front of you...

I remember one year the small group I paired up with decided to stop for a lunch break and ended up putting out a large unattended camp fire on a very windy day. Many of the license plates on the campers cars were from out of state. We cleaned up their mess and put out their fire, then drafted a nicely written "love note" for them. No damage was done. No threats or bad language - just a clear message that their behavior in our state was unacceptable and we told them why.

When I first joined this group about 8 or 9 years ago it was limited to "X" number of people in order to make it feel more like a family. You either participated in stuff or you were let go to make room for another anxious member. Now it is open to many who just take up server space. Some post an intro and then you never hear from them again. What a waste of time for the admin and for the rest of us for simply reading about their super beefed-up garage trophy that we never get to see.

Everyone can volunteer in some small way. Maybe you show up for the clean-up run, the Turkey run or the X-Mas Caravan for Kids, or you can donate to the causes. Some people volunteer in other ways (to the group or it's individual members exclusively). To me, it's not what you give or how much you give, it's the fact that (in one way or the other) you "showed up for the party". It doesn't need to be often - just once in a while will do!

23. The Following Member Says Thanks to Jackie For This Post:

Brad (June 23rd, 2017)

Last Online
    June 13th, 2018
    4x4
    05 Land Rover LR3, 01 Discovery
    User Name
    Brad
    Real Name
    Brad
    Thanks Given

Very well said Jackie! I would also like to see more participation. Having coordinated it for about 4 years I can say the fewer people the longer it takes. The whole time I was coordinator I generally did not get off the trail until about 4 with no desire to run the other trail for fun like it was prior to me taking it over. I truly care about this group and that is why I volunteered and continue to help out, our name is on the trail. I generally don't make the other events for various reasons but plan on making a more concerted effort to participate. It would help if we had it posted earlier so people can plan to participate. Seems we have too many last minute trail runs planned, speaking for myself I plan way further in advance even for day trips.

All that being said I am still a maybe and most likely a no. My good friend Mike who has a discovery 2 may have a cracked liner so I am doing a overnight pressure test on his engine where I will need to go check on it and possibly help with adding block sealer tomorrow morning. I don't think I can get that all done and make the run. I am leaving it a maybe as if I get it done I will try and make it up there. I will for sure make the fall run.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast