4x4
    Toyota/Scout/Nissan
    User Name
    Patrolman
    Real Name
    Jeff
    Thanks Given

Default Breakage on OCG 5/20/08

So I was the only of the 3 vehicles that really suffered any breakage. Still not 100% sure what the problem is/was.

The torsion bars on my 1987 Toyota are splined into a bracket that attaches to the frame and another bracket that attaches to the upper A-arm. The splines stripped out on the upper A-arm bracket. Basically, the torsion bar was then just spinning free in there. The A-arms were resting on the bumpstops.

I replaced that bracket today and re-adjusted the torsion bar. Not sure why it failed to begin with, but made sure everything was snug. The replacement part is from a 1989 which seems to be larger and stronger. Hoping that will help resolve any future problems. Easy fix, just sort of annoying.

Last Online
    August 9th, 2012
    User Name
    Brody
    Real Name
    Pete Brody

Default Re: Breakage on OCG 5/20/08

That is a good one, Jeff! I have never heard about someone doing that before. What a wierd bit of breakage. Glad that you got out ok, that it was an easy fix, and, most of all, that you are finally feeling good enough to get out and go wheeling.

BTW...any luck on a job? LaDawn and I are still willing to help if we can.

Last Online
    April 6th, 2019
    4x4
    Toyota/Scout/Nissan
    User Name
    Patrolman
    Real Name
    Jeff
    Thanks Given

Default Re: Breakage on OCG 5/20/08

The strangest part about the breakage is that the torsion bar was apparently only 1/2 way into the front bracket. The splines on the bar are fine, but only the back 1/2 of the splines on the A-arm bracket were gone. I was able to take it apart and slide the bar into the forward 1/2 splines. That got me off the trail and back home.

So still not looking for a job. I was getting ready to look for one. My Dr took me off an antibiotic. A few weeks later my symptoms began to return. They have since put me back on that antibiotic. The symptoms have gone away, but the meds make me feel a bit crappy. I wrap up the antibiotic on Wednesday. Can't wait! Will keep you posted.