1970CJ5 1958WillysWagon
    User Name
    FINOCJ
    Real Name
    James Orofino
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,588 Times in 965 Posts

Default Tacoma Owners - Advice Sought

Any 05-15 Tacoma owners out there run just a front strut spacer 'leveling kit'? Feel free to give your feedback. I am looking to push the front end up just a bit to clear a little bigger tire of course, and wondering who had done what and how it worked. Not looking for anything that is a full overall - I am more than happy with this truck in its stock configuration and its not my 'wheeling' rig - old CJ for that.

I currently run 265/75/16 (31.7" diameter) tires on a stock extended cab TRD off road set-up (OEM tire was 265/70/16), and it will very occasionally rub the inside of the fenderwell plastic with wheel at full lock and the tire stuffed - basically its perfectly maxed out. I would like to step up to a 285/75/15 (32.8" diameter) and thinking I could do this with a simple strut spacer on the front - often sold as a leveling kit. Now, I don't feel like I have a lot of rake on the truck, but I think I can raised the front a little bit (1-2" and level it out) although the real goal is to gain the clearance on the front end...I think I can run the 285/75/16 on the rear as is. I guess worst case scenario is I can put a small spacer block (max 1") on the rear springs. I do carry 400lbs or so in the bed frequently, and don't want to be riding nose high all the time. This is budget lift and won't improve any suspension travel and probably put a bit more stress on the IFS CV joints etc, it will also keep the stock ride quality which is fine with me for all the DDing, and the 3.73 gears should be ok - might actually have to use first gear on my manual 6speed.

All in all, I am trying to do this as a super budget lift - it is my DD and cross-country travel vehicle, but as I continue to fight keeping my old CJ running well, its nice to have a secondary option that is reliable and fun to use. Plus the CJ sucks up most of my budget. Although I normally flat tow my CJ out to Utah for wheeling specific trips, I am often out there a for other recreation, and love to take some 'exploratory' diversions. I do love the truck in Utah on many of the non-moab non-slickrock crawling trails scattered everywhere (more like the overlanding trips in Escalante, San Raf Swell etc). I was just out there last weekend and wheeled the truck as usual - it truly does great for a stock set-up with a locker and front a-trac (electronically controlled limited slip) but can always use just a bit more clearance and tire size. Basically, its the opposite of my old CJ - if it can clear it, it will climb it. My CJ will clear everything, but can't climb anything. I like to use the truck to get to very remote trailheads and canyons for climbing and I don't trust the CJ to be solo in the middle of nowhere (and it doesn't carry much gear).

To keep this on a cheap budget - cannot go full front coil-over replacement as well as I need to keep my current 16inch wheels. So that kind of maxes me out with 285/75/16s - going any bigger on 16s gets way too wide for my taste. My current 265/75/16s are nearing there end (55k miles) and this is the time to address any tire size changes before I buy the new ones. It looks like I can get a rough country 2" strut spacer for the front for $60. That might raise the front too much in terms of rake, so might need another $50-$60 for a rear block. For that total cost, I think its worth it - although hoping to go with only the fronts. Also looked at the adjustable Bilsteins - they can be set for 0.7 and 1.4" front lift - and that might be perfect. Its not that bad of a cost at $350 or so especially considering you get new shocks on all 4 - I am about to do the 100k full service interval - so will check shocks while I am at it. If new ones are needed then the Bilsteins might be the way to go, but that is truly pushing the budget given 4 new tires are a must soon and the CJ never stops sucking its budget dry!

Last Online
    August 19th, 2021
    4x4
    1992 Range Rover Classic
    User Name
    Swank1975
    Real Name
    Mike
    Thanks Given

Default Re: Tacoma Owners - Advice Sought

We had 3 2007 Tacoma trucks at DPS we used for supervisor trucks/back up plow trucks and we put Hell for Stout front end leveling kids on them to help get the nose up so the plows wouldn't scrape on every drive pan and dip we went across. They worked great and were still doing great in Jan 2016 when I left. I loved that truck. Worked great with the plow on and off.

3. The Following Member Says Thanks to Swank1975 For This Post:

FINOCJ (April 13th, 2017)

Last Online
    8 Hours Ago
    4x4
    03 Ranger FX4
    User Name
    The StRanger
    Real Name
    Sam
    Thanks Given

The good kits also have different bracket spacers.
    With out those you get a vibration that won't go away.

Last Online
    August 19th, 2021
    4x4
    1992 Range Rover Classic
    User Name
    Swank1975
    Real Name
    Mike
    Thanks Given

What do you mean by different bracket spacers? The ones we had on the 3 tacomas at DPS just had the metal spacers with offset bolts to mount and push the strut down giving the front lift. No vibrations on any of the 3 over multiple years.

Last Online
    8 Hours Ago
    4x4
    03 Ranger FX4
    User Name
    The StRanger
    Real Name
    Sam
    Thanks Given

Differential spacers

Last Online
    40 Minutes Ago
    4x4
    1970CJ5 1958WillysWagon
    User Name
    FINOCJ
    Real Name
    James Orofino
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,588 Times in 965 Posts

Some of the kits come with differential drop bracket - its easier on CVs and so forth. JMO, but it comes at the expense of ground clearance which is counter to the reason to lift in the first place (well the lift is to fit larger diameter tires which then provides the clearance). I'll take extra wear to gain the clearance - there is always a trade off.