4x4
    LJ, Xterra
    User Name
    Paul
    Real Name
    Paul
    Thanks Given

Default ColoradoOverlandRoutesandElements.com

I'm putting together a new information / planning site for Overlanding in Colorado. I've had a map on my computer covered in links for a while and it dawned on me one day this summer that it would make a great resource website for someone who was new to Colorado wheeling and exploring. The name and setup were already the file on my computer, I had the idea and can't say no to another project that I don't have time for, and I had to renew another site and got a great deal for doing this one at the same time... so I got the URL, set up hosting and facebook / youtube pages, and here's the "draft" version which is live now, a better version is coming as time allows:

http://coloradooverlandroutesandelements.com/index.html

It's a simple site, no cookies or tracking, only 4 things: text, pictures, embeded videos and links. I made it in sitespinner, simple as it gets. No affiliate links, just information for free. It's just a fun thing for me to do until I get sick of it or run out of money to pay for hosting. I'm not competing with anyone, infact I'm linking to all of the other info sites so this is free advertising for them and external page links help with search engines too. It is far from exhaustive or complete, just stuff I have information about or routes we've done that were fun.
    So far I've only listed things that have their own websites; I have 16 routes listed but not on the map and 21 elements not listed or on the map that are either my own or that don't have their own sites, so I'm slowly making pages in my free time. Here's a template of what they look like:

http://coloradooverlandroutesandelem.../Template.html

I put together some youtube videos to promote it. The conventional wisdom with youtube is that it's a terrible place to make money but a great place to build a brand, so I don't have any of the videos monetized with ads, they're just to draw attention to the website without me having to spend any money on adverstising. I'm going to post them on facebook eventually too, you can promote posts on pages very inexpensively there. I'm not promoting it yet, but the videos are up so I thought I'd post it here.
    If you've been wheeling with me over the last few years you may see yourself:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmw...6BrF5bg/videos

I also have the spring cleanup on there, but I've already posted that on FR.

Last Online
    43 Minutes Ago
    4x4
    '05 4Runner
    User Name
    Chris
    Real Name
    Chris
    Thanks Given

Default Re: ColoradoOverlandRoutesandElements.com

Interesting Paul, I'll suggest making it responsive before you get too far into it. A responsive theme displays correctly on phones, tablets, etc rather than just desktops. We're moving in the direction fast and this type of site is such that folks would probably like to access when out and about.

Just a suggestion.

'05 Limited V8, Shrockworks front bumper, Warn winch, Brody Fab rear bumper & sliders, RCI Skids, SPC UCA's, 285/70/17 BFG KO2's, OME 884 up front and OME 895 Coils in the rear matched with OME 90000 Front Struts and OME 60004 Rear Shocks. 211,000+ miles and counting.

3. The Following Member Says Thanks to Chris For This Post:

Paul (September 30th, 2016)

Last Online
    6 Hours Ago
    4x4
    '97 Ford Explorer XLT
    User Name
    ExplorerTom
    Real Name
    Tom
    Thanks Given

So I'm going to pose a fairly obvious question (at least i think): do you know about Rocky Mountain Overland?

the group feels like it's on life support recently, but there's a good group of people there as well.

5. The Following Member Says Thanks to ExplorerTom For This Post:

Paul (September 30th, 2016)

Last Online
    43 Minutes Ago
    4x4
    '05 4Runner
    User Name
    Chris
    Real Name
    Chris
    Thanks Given

ExplorerTom previously posted:
    "the group feels like it's on life support recently, but there's a good group of people there as well."

It's hard to get any new site active particulary when one similar is already up and struggling. Hell, with 76 million websites it's pretty amazing anyone, even backed with money gets any traction.

I own 4x4Colorado.com which should be able to hook on to existing similar names in search engines but I'm not sure I have the energy to try to make a go of it.

'05 Limited V8, Shrockworks front bumper, Warn winch, Brody Fab rear bumper & sliders, RCI Skids, SPC UCA's, 285/70/17 BFG KO2's, OME 884 up front and OME 895 Coils in the rear matched with OME 90000 Front Struts and OME 60004 Rear Shocks. 211,000+ miles and counting.

Last Online
    48 Minutes Ago
    4x4
    LJ, Xterra
    User Name
    Paul
    Real Name
    Paul
    Thanks Given

I'm waiting for my upgrade code http://www.virtualmechanics.com/store/upgrade.html for sitespinner just to make it mobile friendly, that's why only things with links are up (they're easy!) until the software is gtg and I understand it. Google has a test tool for mobile friendliness, https://www.google.com/webmasters/to...bile-friendly/ I'll do that too. the big version coming this winter will be better. I don't care about search engines, and I'm not making a forum or anything, basically just a map of links to things you can drive to and ways to get there and stuff to see along the way and links to resources for more planning info. Unless I get bored or distracted, then WYSIWYG.

Tom- I like that site but I've had some timesuckers enter my life this year that have kept me away from wheeling, camping, everything really, which is sort of how this webwheeling project came about. I've only done 3 or so runs this year, no camping, my bike hasn't moved since I hung it up last November and I had to quit trailsoffroad.com too, so not much point to joining a group just to not participate. Maybe next year. I like the logo a lot.

Last Online
    27 Minutes Ago
    4x4
    1986/1999 Toyota 4runner's
    User Name
    TJS86TOY
    Real Name
    TJ
    Thanks Given

I may be able to contribute, Over the years I have tracked, placemarked, every trail I have run as well as Topo maps. Don't know if this helps but if it does let me know.
    Example.

9. The Following Member Says Thanks to TJS86TOY For This Post:

Paul (October 3rd, 2016)

Last Online
    48 Minutes Ago
    4x4
    LJ, Xterra
    User Name
    Paul
    Real Name
    Paul
    Thanks Given

Thank you! That's pretty cool, mine is just a picture of Colorado covered in links that I'm chopping down for this. I'd love to include any and all content that fits, it's all about sharing info, and ofcourse I'd credit you. After I get the better version published can ask you take a look again and see if you've got anything that fits it? I just got the new software today, hopefully I'll be up to speed and start putting up routes ASAP.

11. The Following Member Says Thanks to Paul For This Post:

TJS86TOY (October 4th, 2016)

Last Online
    8 Hours Ago
    4x4
    05 Land Rover LR3, 01 Discovery
    User Name
    Brad
    Real Name
    Brad
    Thanks Given

I like anything that is a update to trail damage, so keep up the good work!
    There is also trailsoffroad by Todd and co. Pretty nice layout.
    http://www.trailsoffroad.com

13. The Following Member Says Thanks to Brad For This Post:

Paul (October 4th, 2016)

Last Online
    48 Minutes Ago
    4x4
    LJ, Xterra
    User Name
    Paul
    Real Name
    Paul
    Thanks Given

Not competing with TD or TOR,it's not really the same type of site. I was on the TOR Mapping Crew but had to quit earlier this year, life has handed me some things to deal with that are taking up my time and I wasn't going to be able to give a legitimate effort. Todd's a good guy and his site is a business, this is a hobby and not the same thing at all, no competition. Those guys are so technically ahead of me I'd be wasting my time if I did, Todd would crush me like a bug. I've already got both sites listed as resources and I'll be linking to both in many of the pages, so it's really just free advertising for both, not competition. I even made a note to myself on the Template page to link to TOR as often as possible, if I had the time I'd still be there.

Brad, you're in most of those videos and the 4Runner fail one got a PM compliment from this guy, MJCake, who has the best White Rim video ever, he wishes he had your repair skills https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ThjkhCcBYws

Last Online
    8 Hours Ago
    4x4
    05 Land Rover LR3, 01 Discovery
    User Name
    Brad
    Real Name
    Brad
    Thanks Given

I appreciate the compliment! I didn't know todd's site was a business. Well not entirely. I like your format as well. A mobile version would be cool too!

16. The Following Member Says Thanks to Brad For This Post:

Paul (October 5th, 2016)

Last Online
    48 Minutes Ago
    4x4
    LJ, Xterra
    User Name
    Paul
    Real Name
    Paul
    Thanks Given

Thanks, Brad. I've tried a few ways and there is just no good answer I can come up with to make a map of Colorado covered in dozens of tiny links pass Google's mobile test using the software I'm using and given my limits. So I'm not trying anymore, I'm just making a mobile version of only the template page and I'll double publish those pages; the only other two pages, index and map, are just simple responsive ones like this suggests: http://www.sitespinner.com/blog/3-wa...u-need-to.html. Hope to publish something by the end of the month...

Last Online
    43 Minutes Ago
    4x4
    '05 4Runner
    User Name
    Chris
    Real Name
    Chris
    Thanks Given

Considering how small phones are it's hard to get any image that has o be large to be visible. If a page passes Google's mobile test it'll be good enough. Some of their errors aren't even worth worry about either.

The small size is why I still use a flip phone!

19. The Following Member Says Thanks to Chris For This Post:

Paul (October 5th, 2016)

Last Online
    4 Days Ago
    4x4
    99 4Runner
    User Name
    coolerthanafan
    Real Name
    Adam
    Thanks Given

@chris and @paul Hope you don't mind the small highjack ... I am wanting to do some winter off roading and cannot find trails that would be safe to do that .. I am seeing that CO is more and more unpredictable when it comes to weather. Been here 1.5 years from Seattle and want to explore.
    Any ideas or guidance? Anybody getting out this weekend?

You guys rock and I love the info you provide. Wish I could've joined you guys the other day Chris!

Last Online
    43 Minutes Ago
    4x4
    '05 4Runner
    User Name
    Chris
    Real Name
    Chris
    Thanks Given

Yes, the weather can be unpredictable enough to get oneself in trouble. I know from experience!

Adam, I think you should ask this as a new thread in this forum to get a wider response.

Use something like Winter Trails for the Title.

Last Online
    48 Minutes Ago
    4x4
    LJ, Xterra
    User Name
    Paul
    Real Name
    Paul
    Thanks Given

coolerthanafan previously posted:
    "@chris and @paul Hope you don't mind the small highjack ... I am wanting to do some winter off roading and cannot find trails that would be safe to do that .. I am seeing that CO is more and more unpredictable when it comes to weather. Been here 1.5 years from Seattle and want to explore.
    Any ideas or guidance? Anybody getting out this weekend?

You guys rock and I love the info you provide. Wish I could've joined you guys the other day Chris!"

Snow wheeling is fun but when it goes south it goes deep. Mostof the trails are closed or just too deep in winter, but the beginning and end of winter are fun. Fourmile and Slaughterhouse are popular. I like roads like the one in the Expedition Overland video; sometimes plowed but not when they're running it, mostly flat and no cliffs. Near you is one of my favortite winter roads, Magnolia Drive. If you have the Delorme Colorado book it's page 39, 7A / 8A. It goes from 119 back to 119 with a turn off on 97 that goes to 72. The fun run is 97 from 72 north to Magnolia; turn left / west to 119 by West Magnolia. It's all unpaved and residential so it does get plowed, but while it's snowing its awesome and if you get really hung up a plow will come eventually. The second video is a runner training on it, very popular for that. I last ran it on a Sunday morning in a snow fall and it was incredible.

Last Online
    48 Minutes Ago
    4x4
    LJ, Xterra
    User Name
    Paul
    Real Name
    Paul
    Thanks Given

So this has been slowly evolving and is close to being "done". Most of it is unpublished, but aside from the homepage http://coloradooverlandroutesandelements.com/ you can see a rough outline on the Central City Trifecta route http://coloradooverlandroutesandelements.com/CCT.html of what the route pages look like. I hope to publish a lot all at once in the next month or so... we'll see...

Along those lines, this Sunday morning I'm recording track / video of the first section of three, Crown Hill Cemetery to Central City Cemetery, on the way to Yankee Hill, if anyone wants to take the backway up LMK, I'll be at Crown Hill at about 9am. It won't be any real process, just running a garmin camera on my Jeep and shooting pics out the window, but it's a fun drive if anyone is interested.

Last Online
    43 Minutes Ago
    4x4
    '05 4Runner
    User Name
    Chris
    Real Name
    Chris
    Thanks Given

Hey Paul, just looked at your site and get a lot of 404 errors such as this one.

http://coloradooverlandroutesandelements.com/GGD.html

Last Online
    48 Minutes Ago
    4x4
    LJ, Xterra
    User Name
    Paul
    Real Name
    Paul
    Thanks Given

yes, none of the route pages are public yet except the CCT one which has an old draft of the page layout. Those will all publish at once when they're done, I want them to be consistent and complete. Also a lot of the text links aren't active yet in that version.

Last Online
    48 Minutes Ago
    4x4
    LJ, Xterra
    User Name
    Paul
    Real Name
    Paul
    Thanks Given

I got a couple of PMs about the drive up, here's better info if anyone wants to go just show up (I'll post this on the planning thread too):

9am at Crown Hill Lake Park / Crown Hill Cemetery

39.7550839,-105.1020813

26th between Wadsworth and Kipling, there is a large parking lot with a restroom and a sign.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Cr...4d-105.1020813