4x4
    Toyota/Scout/Nissan
    User Name
    Patrolman
    Real Name
    Jeff
    Thanks Given

Default Re: Engine Diagnosis

G&S is a local machine shop in Littleton. I have used them over the years, and my dad has been going there since the 1980's. They have always done very good work and been very honest. Typically I go there for testing/machining heads and such. Never taken a full block in.

http://gandsautoparts.com/

2. The Following Member Says Thanks to Patrolman For This Post:

FINOCJ (September 23rd, 2016)

Last Online
    September 7th, 2017
    4x4
    1975 Bronco Denver Edition
    User Name
    EKXJ87
    Real Name
    Steve
    Thanks Given

Western Engine Supply Inc. is where I took my 4.0 head in to get rebuilt. It was recommended to my be a fellow co-worker who had them rebuild his 50's Chevy Belair motor, they have been In Business for 27yrs and seem to be fair and honest and I got it back when the said it would be done.
    http://www.westernenginesupply.com/

4. The Following Member Says Thanks to EKXJ87 For This Post:

FINOCJ (September 23rd, 2016)

Last Online
    1 Hour Ago
    4x4
    1970CJ5 1958WillysWagon
    User Name
    FINOCJ
    Real Name
    James Orofino
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,602 Times in 972 Posts

Jim previously posted:
    "
    Do you wish to keep the same block for historical reasons or is it for simplicity in getting things done (not having adapters / retrofits)?

While you're tending vehicle work, you could consider an aftermarket TBI kit - or perhaps wait a year. Google says:
    https://www.google.com/search?q=buic...utf-8&oe=utf-8

At $1400 it seems a bit steep - but to have everything in one kit -- to get a driveable motor at elevation change -- the price doesn't seem so bad.
    http://howellefi.com/general-motors/...onversion-kit/

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/jeep-...ction-tbi.html"

Both...I think the idea of a rebuilding the block is historical importance for me. Obviously it may not be salvageable, or may not be worth salvaging and then a similar bolt-in replacement would be the next option. In addition, given the transmission and other issues inside the engine bay, going to a modern V6 has a lot of additional things. Front cross memeber and motor mounts often have to be redone/moved, my old ross steering doesn't work with many modern exhaust systems (although the ross is pretty much junk, but add a saginaw swap to the list), and the T14 transmission is a bit unique as well and also has to be compatible with the D18 and Warn OD. Its truly a challenge of change one thing and the chain reaction of mods gets big. Changing to a modern transmission and TC eliminates use of a D18 (or adapter needed). I can only use a D18 TC as I have an offset rear differential. and any increases in transmission and tc lengths such as adapters causes an already short driveshaft to become even shorter. Not saying it can't be done (heck its been done a lot)...just that I don't think I want to go down that road.

The howell TBI for the 225 is relatively new. $1400 is the standard cost whether from howell, EZ EFI, Powerjection or custom stuff from Hamilton FI. A few on the earlycj5 forum have been checking out the holley. The general consensus has been EZ EFI is the best way to go with least amount of hassle. Powerjection can work really well, but takes a lot of tuning effort. Some these (maybe the howell?) require a different intake manifold (like an Offy dual plane). There is always an issue with an odd fire engine and the computers. The EZ EFI is probably the best one for it because its easiest to separate the fuel control from the ignition (and let the traditional distributor with pertronix, mechanical advance and vacuum advance control the spark - or go hei). The last problem with TBI is figuring out fuel delivery - my OEM style vented tanks without baffles can cause some problems, as well as routing fuel line to handle the exra pressure - not ridiculously difficult, but not necessarily trivial either. I like my dual tank set-up right now, but uncertain what would need to be done to make it TBI compatible.

Lots to think about...

Last Online
    6 Minutes Ago
    4x4
    1990 Jeep Wrangler (YJ)
    User Name
    Jim
    Real Name
    Jim Williamson
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 3,019 Times in 2,011 Posts

FINOCJ previously posted:
    "OEM style vented tanks without baffles can cause some problems"

Could you elaborate. I have an unbaffled fuel tank and my jeep, prior to my ownership, has been converted to MPFI (Mopar kit as far as I can tell). I've been into my tank a few times to replace everything in the tank and I do not recall any baffle/s.

Is the concern primarily when fuel level gets low - starvation on the in-tank (my only) fuel pump and having it run unloaded / get damaged?

Last Online
    December 23rd, 2023
    4x4
    2006 Jeep LJ
    User Name
    Java
    Real Name
    Paul
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,788 Times in 1,261 Posts

I put Howell fuel injection on my 88 YJ's 258 and it was fantastic. It was a basically OEM GM 4.3 TBI setup with a reprogrammed PROM chip and a simple aluminum adapter to fit it to the intake manifold. It also had a block off plate for the mechanical fuel pump and switched to an inline pump and filter but reused the tank and lines. I bet a 4.3 TBI would be easy to rig up on your engine and down the road if you go 4.3 it would bolt in.

Last Online
    1 Hour Ago
    4x4
    1970CJ5 1958WillysWagon
    User Name
    FINOCJ
    Real Name
    James Orofino
    Thanks Given

Howell definitely has the most popular system for the later 4.2 258. I am far from knowledgeable on this but the typical gm style injection has a some hassle with the odd fire v6. I think the gm fi computer needs both fuel and ignition sensors to work and the odd fire causes the computer to think the ignition is changing when its not. I think some have worked around this by putting a crank trigger signal to supply the necessary info for ignition and rpm. Holley does have a new system for the 225 so guessing it doesn't depend on the ignition signal (ez efi just needs tach info from coil although its a bit inconsistent). I like my odd fire if for no other reason than because its ...odd. but it does cause some compatibility issues with aftermarket performance parts.

Last Online
    1 Hour Ago
    4x4
    1970CJ5 1958WillysWagon
    User Name
    FINOCJ
    Real Name
    James Orofino
    Thanks Given

Jim previously posted:
    "Could you elaborate. I have an unbaffled fuel tank and my jeep, prior to my ownership, has been converted to MPFI (Mopar kit as far as I can tell). I've been into my tank a few times to replace everything in the tank and I do not recall any baffle/s.
    Is the concern primarily when fuel level gets low - starvation on the in-tank (my only) fuel pump and having it run unloaded / get damaged?"

I think the concern is when the tank is low and sloshing causes fuel starvation and the engine cuts out quickly leaving you in a precarious situation. FI systems do not provide much of a fuel reservoir to get through a pump starvation issue. A carb has a fuel bowl...maybe the only benefit... I think it is possible to put and inline reservoir for tbi but not sure how well it works with starvation and loss of fuel pressure. Whether a dry pump would burn out I don't know.

10. The Following Member Says Thanks to FINOCJ For This Post:

Jim (September 23rd, 2016)

Last Online
    December 3rd, 2023
    4x4
    1990 Cherokee
    User Name
    Hypoid
    Real Name
    Mike
    Thanks Given

Jim previously posted:
    "but IMO, the question is why are you having thrust issues. Until that is known I hold (from only my general knowledge) it is unknown if this block can be salvaged."

What I have learned, the hard way, is that issues with the thrust bearing are caused by driver habit. Sitting at a stop with the clutch pedal pushed in puts pressure on the thrust surfaces of the crankshaft and thrust bearing.

12. The Following Member Says Thanks to Hypoid For This Post:

Jim (September 23rd, 2016)

Last Online
    April 6th, 2019
    4x4
    Toyota/Scout/Nissan
    User Name
    Patrolman
    Real Name
    Jeff
    Thanks Given

Not to mention putting undue stress on the throw-out bearing. I have replaced clutches before just because someone was pushing the clutch in all the time at a stop. It wore out the throw-out bearing, even though the rest of the clutch was in reasonable shape.

Last Online
    April 21st, 2021
    4x4
    2004 Jeep LJ
    User Name
    Brian
    Real Name
    Brian
    Thanks Given

Paul previously posted:
    "I put Howell fuel injection on my 88 YJ's 258 and it was fantastic. It was a basically OEM GM 4.3 TBI setup with a reprogrammed PROM chip and a simple aluminum adapter to fit it to the intake manifold. It also had a block off plate for the mechanical fuel pump and switched to an inline pump and filter but reused the tank and lines. I bet a 4.3 TBI would be easy to rig up on your engine and down the road if you go 4.3 it would bolt in."

+1

Did a Howell conversion on an '88 YJ years ago. Best "mod" ever as far as drivability and wheeling. EFI is noice!

Last Online
    1 Hour Ago
    4x4
    1970CJ5 1958WillysWagon
    User Name
    FINOCJ
    Real Name
    James Orofino
    Thanks Given

Hypoid previously posted:
    "What I have learned, the hard way, is that issues with the thrust bearing are caused by driver habit. Sitting at a stop with the clutch pedal pushed in puts pressure on the thrust surfaces of the crankshaft and thrust bearing."

On the street, I don't hold the clutch in (what a PO might have done is another question). Besides, the mechanical cable clutch takes too much effort to hold in against the diaphragm fingers and two return springs (one at the fork and on for the pedal). But on the trail, with a marginally poor crawl ratio, I do have to burn the clutch a lot more than would be ideal. But that still doesn't seem like enough forward thrust to cause major issues unless the clutch was way out of adjustment. Since my goal is to keep the original block if possible, then it will come apart and inspect. No guarantee its useable.

Last Online
    July 7th, 2023
    4x4
    2017 JKUR Recon
    User Name
    dieseldoc
    Real Name
    Brandon
    Thanks Given

jassper engine x3
    good stuff they build their.

looks like end play is way out of spec and you may have egg shaped the pistion bores.
    you can tear it down and do some messuring your self and see if it is saveable.
    the engin service manuals these days do have decent rebuild info so you can save money by doing the check your self and then make the informed deciision about it being serviceable.
    just take gyour time mark every thing so it goes back the way it came out.

Last Online
    December 3rd, 2023
    4x4
    1990 Cherokee
    User Name
    Hypoid
    Real Name
    Mike
    Thanks Given

FINOCJ previously posted:
    "On the street, I don't hold the clutch in (what a PO might have done is another question)."

A buddy bought an early 90's Ford truck from an old man (original owner) who lived in Greeley. The truck had less than 90,000 miles on the odometer and about 1/4-inch crankshaft end play. I dropped and reinstalled that transmission twice before asking for help from someone who has much more experience. I was mad at myself for not realizing what was going on the first time I dropped the transmission.

Last Online
    1 Hour Ago
    4x4
    1970CJ5 1958WillysWagon
    User Name
    FINOCJ
    Real Name
    James Orofino
    Thanks Given

Getting some information on my engine as its now torn down. It is an old engine that has had some work done: been bored .030 over and some brass liners. No hardened valve seats though. Also had paint on the front of the block inside the front cover that was coming off. Not sure what that was all about - doesn't seem like you want paint that can peel off into the oil system. But it looks like the main damage came from the thrusting crank issue, and when it went, it ground a lot of metal into the oil system, wasted the gears in the oil pump and front cover. Obviously the main bearings, rod bearings and wrist pins are damaged from all the metal as well as some of the valve lifters were essentially plugged. Its got a ridge at the top of the cylinders. The crank is so damaged that machine shop suggested a new crank would be the better option rather than trying to fix this one. Can't tell for sure, but the camshaft doesn't have any obvious stamping on it, so it might be OEM or maybe generic OEM replacement. Guess that means a new cam could provide some additional performance.

So deciding if I want to go through a full-rebuild or maybe look to an engine swap option. Its going to need another boring (total of .060 over which is max for piston availability), and of course all the new internal pieces for both top and bottom end. Hardened valve seats would also be installed, new Melling high volume oil pump, and new front cover to go with new timing chain, gears etc. The good news is its a totally new engine ready to run forever, and jeep is still 'original', at least in terms of period correct OEM replacement. Bad news, its a lot of money, especially getting shop work for boring and machining heads plus valve seats and wrist pins, add all new internals (was holding out some hope that might just hone it and re-use pistons and rods), and cost for new crank, and its still an odd-fire engine that has lots of difficulties getting a TBI system to work with it.

Of the Buick 90 degree V6 series, mine would be the Dauntless 225 (all were odd-fire with heavy flywheel - good for off road). The engine was later tweaked to a 231 but still odd-fire (and later with HEI), and finally the 231 was again retweaked as an even-fire with HEI - some of these later 231s have a different flywheel and balancing system but are pretty easy drop in replacements. A cj5 forum acquaintance has a running even fire 231 ready to go - he even replaced with dauntless manifolds and balanced with dauntless heavy flywheel. I like the even fire aspect as it could be run with TBI off the shelf and HEI is built in. Cost is also 1/4 the cost of rebuild and parts, but I do have to travel to St Louis over a weekend, but even with such gas and travel expense it might still be a better option?

Decisions....

PS- I'll see if I can get some pics of the carnage posted tomorrow

Last Online
    November 3rd, 2023
    4x4
    84 CJ8
    User Name
    Spieg
    Real Name
    Brian
    Thanks Given

Sounds like a project no matter which way you go. Totally get wanting to keep the original equipment, but nothing lasts forever... If you do go with the even fire - I (and others I know) have used Fastenal for shipping parts. Unless you really want to go to St Louis, it's a pretty cheap and fast option. It's a counter to counter service so you have to get parts to/from a local store.
    https://www.fastenal.com/en/22/third...ogistics-(3pl)

Last Online
    July 7th, 2023
    4x4
    2017 JKUR Recon
    User Name
    dieseldoc
    Real Name
    Brandon
    Thanks Given

sounds like ypu dauntless is dione.
    if ypu go .060 over you will have over heat issues as the water jackets are so close to the piston bore.
    it will also be the last time you can rebuild it, at least with out sleves in the bore.

I think you are goimg the right way with the even fire engine.
    they are a bit less tempermentail.
    that engine will also keep the rest of the drive train as well.

good luck with your next step.

Last Online
    April 6th, 2019
    4x4
    Toyota/Scout/Nissan
    User Name
    Patrolman
    Real Name
    Jeff
    Thanks Given

As others mentioned, the even fire might be the best option. The original engine realistically only has one rebuild left, and a costly one at that. It might be best to do the even fire, and keep the original engine around for the future?

If you decide to get the even fire and need shipping, check out ForwardAir (it is ground service even though the name says Air). I sent a complete rear axle to LA for about $60 (several years ago). The item just needs to be secured to a pallet. It is only dock to dock shipping, so you have to go to their location to pick it up. Beats a long road trip though.

https://www.forwardair.com/

Last Online
    1 Hour Ago
    4x4
    1970CJ5 1958WillysWagon
    User Name
    FINOCJ
    Real Name
    James Orofino
    Thanks Given

All used engines have concern that they might not last, but this might be a good way to go. I don't really want to deal with all the hassles of a true 'swap' that requires new mounts, transmission adapters, driveshafts, possible floorpan mods etc. But the 231 is a drop in 'replacement' that mounts right up to my mounts and transmission. They guy selling it is actually one of the guy I sold my OD to when I got the new AA OD this summer - I know him pretty well and he is very active in a number of old Willys restoration groups (Has some very nice 3Bs). As for shipping, he has said he won't ship on his end, so doesn't matter how easy it is. But that could make the price a bit more negotiable. Can't be too many people looking for 30 year old Buick engines - its a 1983.

Last Online
    6 Minutes Ago
    4x4
    1990 Jeep Wrangler (YJ)
    User Name
    Jim
    Real Name
    Jim Williamson
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 3,019 Times in 2,011 Posts

Patrolman previously posted:
    "It might be best to do the even fire, and keep the original engine around for the future?"

Somewhat my thought. I'm hearing that you wish to keep things original - just keep the orig motor, complete, should it be desired "down the road" but go with a ?better value? motor for now.

Last Online
    December 3rd, 2023
    4x4
    1990 Cherokee
    User Name
    Hypoid
    Real Name
    Mike
    Thanks Given

My intuition tells me you should make sure the Taco has been vacuumed out before you cross the state line.

I am surprised the machine shop did not condemn the main bearing cap you showed us.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast