4x4
    2000 Jeep Wrangler
    User Name
    Captain
    Real Name
    Kyle
    Thanks Given

Default 9th Annual Aussie Run! Sat. 9/10 - Deer Creek & Saints John

OK, here we go again! The ninth annual Aussie Run will be held on Saturday, September 10, 2016. If you want to go wheeling and have an empty seat or two (or more), this is a fun event! This year we'll meet in Keystone at 9:00am (in the NW corner of the parking lot south of Gondola Rd.) and run Deer Creek and Saints John, with a possible alternate route up Radical Hill. It's got some spectacular scenery, has an easy meeting spot, and it's hard to beat it for a place to eat lunch (with mountain goats)!

What is the Aussie Run?
    Well, as some of you know, I’m an elementary school teacher. In 2006, I participated in a teacher exchange to Australia. Basically, an Australian teacher and I swapped jobs and houses for a year. While my wife and I were there, we were constantly amazed at how people went out of their way to show us their favorite parts of that incredible country. When I got back, I vowed I would do the same thing for the Aussies on exchange to Colorado, and the Aussie Run was born. I got some willing volunteers together (you awesome folks) who had a few empty seats in their rigs, piled in some teachers and their families, and had a great day wheeling in the Colorado mountains.

How does it work?
    I compile a list of volunteer drivers who have available seats in their rigs, and passengers who want to ride along. We meet in an easy-to-find place, match up passengers with drivers, and head out for the trails. It’s usually a full day with lunch on the trail, and returning to the meeting spot around 4pm. After that, people have often stopped for dinner or drinks on the way home, but that’s up to each individual.

Things to be aware of:
    Every year, we have had more empty seats than passengers. This is intentional, as unexpected things happen and it would be really disappointing for someone to drive up there and not get to go. Having a few extra seats also provides a safety margin in case a vehicle breaks down. What this means for drivers, however, is that there is a chance you might be wheeling by yourself. Rest assured, though, that there will be time to meet and chat with the exchange teachers at the meeting spot, photo stops, lunch, and possibly dinner.
    If you do get a passenger, be prepared that they might not be Australian. I organize the passengers for this run through the Colorado International Teachers’ Exchange League (CITEL), and all members are invited. This means that the passengers may be teachers here in Colorado on exchange from another country (not always Australia, though the majority of exchange teachers are Aussies), or Colorado teachers who, like me, have been on an exchange in the past. I’m sure you’ll find that all of them are adventurous and thankful for your time and willingness to help out!
    Also, please be aware that this is NOT a hardcore wheeling run. Most of the passengers have never driven on anything more difficult than a dirt road before, and what may be a routine shelf road to you may be at the limit of their comfort zone. The emphasis is on conversation and having a good time, not conquering a rock garden or avoiding a near-rollover. The safety of passengers and drivers is a priority at all times during this event.

How do I sign up?
    Simply message me with these things:
    your real name (first is OK)
    what you drive and how many empty seats you’ll have
    a good contact phone number
    your email address

I’ll send you an email with a map to the meeting spot and any other information needed for the trip, and I can answer any questions you may have. I'll update the driver list at the end of this post as people sign up.

One more thing:
    THANKS. I could never say it enough. I cannot run this event without awesome people like you who want to share our beautiful backcountry with others, and are willing to do it without compensation of any kind other than a handshake and a smile. You rock!

Kyle

Last Online
    1 Hour Ago
    4x4
    '12 Jeep Wrangler Sport 2.5" lift, 33s, winch
    User Name
    Tom
    Real Name
    Tom
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,238 Times in 937 Posts

Default Re: 9th Annual Aussie Run! Sat. 9/10 - Deer Creek & Saints John

Header subject say 9/20, text says Sept 10. Which day is it?

Last Online
    August 6th, 2019
    4x4
    2000 Jeep Wrangler
    User Name
    Captain
    Real Name
    Kyle
    Thanks Given

Ha ha ha! Geez, so sorry for the confusion! It is the 10th. I tried to change the thread title but it won't seem to let me, anyone know if/how this can be done? Thanks so much for catching my goof. You can see where my brain is at with the start of school! I hope a few more people can join us. It's always a fun trip!

Last Online
    7 Minutes Ago
    4x4
    1990 Jeep Wrangler (YJ)
    User Name
    Jim
    Real Name
    Jim Williamson
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 3,021 Times in 2,011 Posts

Default Re: 9th Annual Aussie Run! Sat. 9/20 - Deer Creek & Saints John

Kyle - I updated posts 2 and 3. It looks like you might have updated post 1.

In any case, Sept 10 (9/10) it is.

5. The Following Member Says Thanks to Jim For This Post:

Captain (September 5th, 2016)

Last Online
    August 6th, 2019
    4x4
    2000 Jeep Wrangler
    User Name
    Captain
    Real Name
    Kyle
    Thanks Given

Default Re: 9th Annual Aussie Run! Sat. 9/20 - Deer Creek & Saints John

Jim previously posted:
    "Kyle - I updated posts 2 and 3. It looks like you might have updated post 1.

In any case, Sept 10 (9/10) it is."

Yeah, I tried to update post 1 thinking it might affect the thread title, which was incorrect. Is there a way to do that, or does an admin have to do that for me? In any case, thanks! Still learning the ins and outs of FR4x4!

Last Online
    August 2nd, 2023
    4x4
    78 BJ40 Land Cruiser and 2005 4runner
    User Name
    78bj40
    Real Name
    Louis
    Thanks Given

Are you doing a loop back to Keystone?

Last Online
    August 6th, 2019
    4x4
    2000 Jeep Wrangler
    User Name
    Captain
    Real Name
    Kyle
    Thanks Given

78bj40 previously posted:
    "Are you doing a loop back to Keystone?"

Yes. The passengers who drive up to meet us there will need to get back to their cars. You interested? I'd love to have another rig or two, as I prefer a few extra seats as a safety precaution in case of breakdown. Sweet rig, BTW! My brother had a '76 FJ40.

Last Online
    August 2nd, 2023
    4x4
    78 BJ40 Land Cruiser and 2005 4runner
    User Name
    78bj40
    Real Name
    Louis
    Thanks Given

Captain previously posted:
    "Yes. The passengers who drive up to meet us there will need to get back to their cars. You interested? I'd love to have another rig or two, as I prefer a few extra seats as a safety precaution in case of breakdown. Sweet rig, BTW! My brother had a '76 FJ40."

Thanks Kyle, it looks like we will be running Twin Cone Saturday. Sorry that I can make this one but I hope we can do a few more before the snow.

Last Online
    August 6th, 2019
    4x4
    2000 Jeep Wrangler
    User Name
    Captain
    Real Name
    Kyle
    Thanks Given

No worries! Have fun up there!

Last Online
    December 14th, 2019
    4x4
    96 Explrer XLT / 94 Explrer Sport / 92 Explrer XLT
    User Name
    96EXXLTinCO
    Real Name
    Chad
    Thanks Given

Do You have enough seats for everyone? We have some loose plans already, but we're willing to entertain the idea changing them if you still need help. We can handle deer creek and saints john, but one of us isnt too thrilled about the radical hill possibility.

Last Online
    August 6th, 2019
    4x4
    2000 Jeep Wrangler
    User Name
    Captain
    Real Name
    Kyle
    Thanks Given

We do have enough seats (11, or 12 if people ride three in the back seat of a JK ) for ten passengers. I usually have a bit more of a cushion in case of mechanical failure or anything, so I really wouldn't mind having an extra rig or two. I don't have anyone itching to do Radical, and it's a pretty small group (5 rigs) so I think we're sticking to the Deer Creek side of the hill. You are more than welcome to join us! We'll be meeting in the Keystone Ski Area parking lot off Gondola Road at 9:00 am. We'll have my silver TJ, a tan TJ, a blue JKU, a black LJ, and a 2 door XJ. It's not a hardcore run, just an excursion to show off our mountains! My cell is 303-834-2186.