Front Range 4x4 Upcoming Trail Runs - Add a New Trail Run

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: MSV - Coney Flats (good news bad news)

Last Online
    8 Hours Ago
    4x4
    '12 Jeep Wrangler Sport 2.5" lift, 33s, winch
    User Name
    Tom
    Real Name
    Tom
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,238 Times in 937 Posts

Default MSV - Coney Flats (good news bad news)

First the good news. MSV-Coney Flats trail will officially open for the season tomorrow, (Sun 6/26) in the afternoon sometime. I ran it today with TRR and the FS. We cleared 12 down trees and widow makers. And put up some new signage. Others rebuilt the gate keeper, painted the entrance signs and hut as well as hauled 200' of buck and rail. The buck and rail is to be installed tomorrow and the gates will open as soon as its completed.

Now for the bad news. The FS told us they'd licensed two atv rental firms to use the trail. I'd get out there soon if you want to run it before the trail is destroyed.

2. The Following 3 Members Say Thanks to Tom For This Post:

96EXXLTinCO (June 26th, 2016),Brad (July 1st, 2016),Chris (June 25th, 2016)

Last Online
    July 7th, 2023
    4x4
    2017 JKUR Recon
    User Name
    dieseldoc
    Real Name
    Brandon
    Thanks Given

Default Re: MSV - Coney Flats (good news bad news)

Well F#%@ there goes one of the best sets of trails....
    Going to be crawling with ATV's and going to get covered in trash.
    Will be all kinds of new illegal bypasses as well.

Last Online
    December 14th, 2019
    4x4
    96 Explrer XLT / 94 Explrer Sport / 92 Explrer XLT
    User Name
    96EXXLTinCO
    Real Name
    Chad
    Thanks Given

Headed to T33 tomorrow morning with a couple other RBV's. Looks like I'll be running this tomorrow then!!! Why on earth would the FS let them use 2 of the most popular trails in the area?? Wasn't taking over Bunce and ironclads enough?? I suppose since they are connecting they don't have a lot of choice though?

Last Online
    8 Hours Ago
    4x4
    User Name
    Tom
    Real Name
    Tom
    Thanks Given

96EXXLTinCO previously posted:
    "Headed to T33 tomorrow morning with a couple other RBV's. Looks like I'll be running this tomorrow then!!! Why on earth would the FS let them use 2 of the most popular trails in the area?? Wasn't taking over Bunce and ironclads enough?? I suppose since they are connecting they don't have a lot of choice though?"

Don't plan on runnigit on Sunday unless late in the day. Like I said its opening after the project is completed.

Last Online
    8 Hours Ago
    4x4
    User Name
    Tom
    Real Name
    Tom
    Thanks Given

Last Online
    August 28th, 2022
    4x4
    97 Dodge CTD, 85 4R, 89 YJ, 04 Kawasaki Mule
    User Name
    Brucker
    Real Name
    Aaron Brucker
    Thanks Given

ATV's are a part of our community as well. Instead of looking down upon a few bad eggs, like so many do to us, why don't we use our energy to educate those around us and those we see/meet on the trail. Seems that would be a much better example than blaming one certain crowd for all the troubles. I know I don't enjoy being blamed for the few asshats that are involved with our sport.

And we can hope that the owners/operators will do their due diligence. And as far as I know, no one shoots up at MSV. That will leave a lot of the trash out of the equation. Also, MSV, with all it's water crossings and few obstacles, maybe there won't be that much more traffic. Maybe.

8. The Following 2 Members Say Thanks to Brucker For This Post:

Chris (June 28th, 2016),Hypoid (June 28th, 2016)

Last Online
    December 3rd, 2023
    4x4
    1990 Cherokee
    User Name
    Hypoid
    Real Name
    Mike
    Thanks Given

Tom previously posted:

Linky no worky...

Brucker previously posted:
    "ATV's are a part of our community as well. "

I appreciate the sentiment, and would hope the business owners are just as vested in accessibility as we are.

So far, I have written only a letter. If I were to write an essay, the thesis statement would be that having more users who are educated to the issues surrounding land use, would affect the culture of the collective group.

Oops! There i go getting all political...

Last Online
    8 Hours Ago
    4x4
    User Name
    Tom
    Real Name
    Tom
    Thanks Given

Link fixed.

Have you guys seen what the rental atvers have done to Bunce, Ironclads, and T33a?

Obtw the rental companies had certified sawyers that were going to clear trees on Sat. They didn't show. ATVers as a group have no respect from me.

Last Online
    August 28th, 2022
    4x4
    97 Dodge CTD, 85 4R, 89 YJ, 04 Kawasaki Mule
    User Name
    Brucker
    Real Name
    Aaron Brucker
    Thanks Given

Tom previously posted:
    " ATVers as a group have no respect from me."

I really wish there was something that I could do or say to change your mind. Thinking like this is what drives groups apart. And like it or not, ATVs, side by sides, motorcycles, and others are all apart of the off road community. And we need EVERYONE to come together if we stand even the slightest chance of education toward keeping our trails safe and open. We have too many opponents already to start turning on each other. Public land is just that. It should be open and available to all. And all of us should be good stewards of said land. And that will not never happen without good people like you stepping up, putting hurt feeling aside, and helping the cause.

Last Online
    December 23rd, 2023
    4x4
    2006 Jeep LJ
    User Name
    Java
    Real Name
    Paul
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,788 Times in 1,261 Posts

ATV owners are part of the offroad community, but a tourist renting one for a 1/2 day is not, IMO. In FL we called them the Griswalds like "Vacation", they'd crash scooters, jet skis, boats, cars, motorcycles, bikes, just about anything they could rent and use with little or no experience. They'd go into protected areas, make wakes in no wake zones, drive on the beach, miss stop signs, it all drove the locals crazy. I'd imagine our local ATV community has the same responsible to reckless ratio as us, and I've never heard of any issues with them in those areas before this. Rental customers are tough on equipment and everything else. The owner of the rental is one of us though, I bet he / she would be eager to eliminate problems if someone reached out to them or the Forest Service especially with pics or videos. I know in Idaho Springs all the rentals are guided tours only, and they don't have many issues, that could be suggested.

Owners don't do this:

"Just a few friends and a jeep rental on a weekend trip to Moab, Utah. I'd definitely recommend the optional insurance upgrade... if you know what I mean."

13. The Following Member Says Thanks to Java For This Post:

Tom (June 29th, 2016)

Last Online
    1 Week Ago
    4x4
    2012 Rock Ware Buggy & 2007 JKUR
    User Name
    newracer
    Real Name
    Michael
    Thanks Given

I heard that by having the agreements the rental companies will have to provide at least minimal training and educations and they can be held responsible for the actions of the renters.

Last Online
    1 Week Ago
    4x4
    User Name
    newracer
    Real Name
    Michael
    Thanks Given

Abandoned rental jeep on Hell's Revenge in Moab.

Last Online
    November 21st, 2023
    4x4
    4Runner
    User Name
    Chris
    Real Name
    Chris
    Thanks Given

I don't think Cliffhanger Rental intended the renters to be so literal!

I've gotten more annoyed with rented ATV's when they just don't know the basic trail etiquette. Example was climbing some long stretch in BV and seeing an ATV sitting dead ahead in the middle of the trail at the top making me go around him. Just stupid!

As an 'old guy' I have noticed the majority of these drivers are in my age group. Not sure I should generalize but that's mostly what I've run in to. I hope it's just because we, like other retirees, wheel weekdays but it's getting more popular in the older population.

17. The Following Member Says Thanks to Chris For This Post:

Tom (June 29th, 2016)

Last Online
    July 7th, 2023
    4x4
    2017 JKUR Recon
    User Name
    dieseldoc
    Real Name
    Brandon
    Thanks Given

I fully believe that all rentals should be guided tours only.
    After living in Moab for a year and a half, the Griswalds are just plain stupid fools.
    Go rent something and trash it.
    You would not be live the stories people tell about how 3-5 grand of damage gets done!
    As well as how they didn't know they were not to take the said rented vehicle to a trail it was not to go!

As for the ATV users, I see more bad behavior from them than I do out of the 4x4 community.
    You will not catch me in rampart range during peak session.

19. The Following Member Says Thanks to dieseldoc For This Post:

Tom (June 29th, 2016)

Last Online
    November 21st, 2023
    4x4
    4Runner
    User Name
    Chris
    Real Name
    Chris
    Thanks Given

I won't go to Rainbow Falls due to ATV's - had one almost hit me coming around a curve and had a second one slam into me doing significant damage to his machine and my truck. Once, just some idiot, twice I stay away. Condeming users of a trail based on two people - yes!

21. The Following Member Says Thanks to Chris For This Post:

Tom (June 29th, 2016)

Last Online
    1 Week Ago
    4x4
    03 Ranger FX4
    User Name
    The StRanger
    Real Name
    Sam
    Thanks Given

"I really wish there was something that I could do or say to change your mind. Thinking like this is what drives groups apart. And like it or not, ATVs, side by sides, motorcycles, and others are all apart of the off road community. And we need EVERYONE to come together if we stand even the slightest chance of education toward keeping our trails safe and open. We have too many opponents already to start turning on each other. Public land is just that. It should be open and available to all. And all of us should be good stewards of said land. And that will not never happen without good people like you stepping up, putting hurt feeling aside, and helping the cause."

X2. Anybody who is willing to get out and enjoy the world should be welcome..
    Just help to teach them stay the trail and pack out more than you bring in..

Last Online
    1 Week Ago
    4x4
    User Name
    newracer
    Real Name
    Michael
    Thanks Given

Not to mention the single largest source of money that goes to trails comes from the license that motorcycles, ATVs, and side by sides are required to purchase.

Last Online
    July 7th, 2023
    4x4
    2017 JKUR Recon
    User Name
    dieseldoc
    Real Name
    Brandon
    Thanks Given

I totally get it.
    But I still lean to the need for them to have more requirments.
    These machines have no yearly inspections, no emissions testing, no drivers license requirments, and no plate to allow other users a way to report there miss use and actions.
    We have a plate that can be used to track down the S!*# Birds who do damage or off off trail behavior And I guarantee you that the ATV proud uses that plate to report people.
    The fact is out in the rampart range they have kill one another with there high speed stupidness.
    You don't see that kind of behavior in our part of the community.

25. The Following Member Says Thanks to dieseldoc For This Post:

Tom (June 29th, 2016)

Last Online
    1 Day Ago
    4x4
    Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
    User Name
    Max
    Real Name
    Max
    Thanks Given

"And like it or not, ATVs, side by sides, motorcycles, and others are all apart of the off road community."

What about people who hike, bike, camp, and ride horses?

Last Online
    December 14th, 2019
    4x4
    96 Explrer XLT / 94 Explrer Sport / 92 Explrer XLT
    User Name
    96EXXLTinCO
    Real Name
    Chad
    Thanks Given

A couple quick examples of my "awesome" run-ins with ATV's/UTV's. Last year I passed a guy on Fern Creek in a UTV who was headed up while I was headed down. We made room for each other to pass, waved and said thank you to each other, no big deal. Got down to the end of the trail where there's a big open dirt area. Myself and the other 2 rigs we were with pulled over and talking and walked back up the trail a bit to take some pics. The same guy I passed a bit earlier came back down the trail, smiled and waved at us as he went by, then proceeded down to where our trucks were, backed up to the drivers side of mine and floored it peppering the side of my truck with gravel and filling everyone's truck with dust. Let me tell you how lucky he is I was so far away from my truck, I'll leave it at that. This was a UTV owner.

Next, I ran T33 with a couple friends from a facebook group this last Sunday. The trail was great, a good challenge for the little Explorer. The company on the trail, good guys, would do anything for anyone. BUT, rental UTV's/ATV's EVERYWHERE. Zero etiquette, zero patience, zero respect. One j*$ass in particular.......I was caught up in a traffic jam at one point in the trail, it was going to take a while to figure out how to get a lot of trucks past one another. This world class moron in a rental UTV (they're easy to spot, they have a big orange slow moving vehicle type triangle with a number on it) apparently decided he didn't need to wait for anything, probably because he was trying to get the most out of his money (have you seen what they're charging for these things???) and proceeded to weave his way through rigs, barely missing most of them. He goes to cross the trail behind me on a pretty off camber spot and I STILL have no clue how the roll cage on that thing didn't touch my back end. Several people including one of his passengers were yelling at him to stop because he was going to hit me, didn't phase him. A little while later down the trail, here comes world class j*$ass again behind us. We all pulled off out of the way to let him through. Although he had plenty of room, he proceeded to tell us where to move to so he could get by. REALLY???? I almost lost it.................

The people up there who were owners of their UTV/ATV's were quite courteous and I'd share the trail with them any day. But this rental guy in particular is the perfect example problems this is going to cause. I didn't make it to MSV that day like I was planning, even though it was open when we finally got down off T33, but I plan to run it soon, and then probably not again until the rentals close up for the season. I can already see issues like Paul was describing happening with these people and I do not have the patience for blatant disregard for others and/or our trails. The only way they should be allowed to operate is with a guide that can babysit them and make sure they're displaying proper ettiquette and respect.

28. The Following Member Says Thanks to 96EXXLTinCO For This Post:

Tom (June 29th, 2016)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast