89 4runner
    User Name
    DoctorDuke
    Real Name
    Duke
    Thanks Given

Default Air Care Colorado ....

In case you didn't know.

My truck finally passed and is good to go, but what a complete joke.

I haven't updated (or started a new ) build thread yet, but long story short I put a 3.4 5vz-fe into the 88 4runner. ( pretty easy swap really ) I took care to do all the emissions stuff with the cats and evap system and didn't really cut any corners.

So, you look up getting emissions tested on an engine swap and basically they say 1. has to be a newer engine 2. has to have all the emissions equipment for that engine. No big deal right?

I roll up to my local Air Care Colorado station and they do their thing make me pay my $25 and then tell me that it failed... Well, actually all the actual measurements where well under the limits - way under the truck is running very clean and smooth. It failed the visual bit because it doesn't have the Air Injection Pump installed - well no **** it doesn't the 3.4 doesn't have that stupid stuff like the 3.0 did. - but they have to judge it based on what was in there, and to get them to base it on the new engine I have to go have it inspected and the state ref will do something and allow them to inspect it as a 3.4.

Call the number they gave me, it's to a place in Denver, he gives me a different number, the lady there is confused and apparently I must be the only person around here to ever swap an engine and try to get it through emissions.

Make my appointment and drive to this special center a ways away and wait for an hour while they go through my truck in pain staking detail ( before this point I was under the impressions they would look and say "yup this is a 3.4L toyota engine, here is the paper work to have them test it based on that" ) - they are tearing into the engine bay. After an hour he comes in and says it failed because the pcv hose is off and something about computer dtc... I'm pretty pissed because I thought I was squared away. (I'm pretty sure they pulled it out while checking it over - he said he tried to put it back as a favor but couldn't make it work) I go out and take half a second to put that hose back on and fire up my new obd 2 and do not see anything about dtc... I call back and try to make an appointment - but have to wait another week.

Drive back over and more of the same waiting - comes out and fail... This time it is the obd 2 monitors not being ready...(last time he said dtc, nothing about monitors...) Ok, this is kind of my fault. I actually haven't had an obd2 engine and had recently disconnected the battery to work on a few other issues. But they don't have any public information about what the hell the inspection is about. I figured i was good without any codes.

So, I complain a little bit - why do I have to come in and wait and then be told these things? Why don't they put what the actual requirements are up on the website? Well... "There are over 40 pages and it can be confusing so..." I'm an academic chap - if they posted these 40 pages and told me what they where looking for... I would have done it right first. Getting judged on unknown criteria sucks.

In the mean time I start really learning about OBD2 and readiness monitors and sensors and well, they are kinda ugly. Drive cycles and conditions to make the ecu do these self test are not easy to replicate on demand and for the most part require driving around a lot... not something I have time or energy to do especially with temp tags running out.

I make my third appointment, which between my personal schedule and theirs isn't easy or convenient. I'm prepared with my laptop driving up there monitoring all the ecu functions and get there early to make sure no hoses came loose or oil could burn off the manifold and smoke or any reason to fail again ( not that they've told me exactly what they can or can not fail for ) ((double funny, I haven't finished wiring reverse lights, horn, rear defrosters, rear wipers - which are considered safety things in my book but they don't look or care))

Getting on with my rambling - I finally pass. I get a piece of paper that I have to hold onto for life (no copies) when i get emissions done in the future. Oh yeah, and I get to go back through line and do the regular emissions testing now.

Go back through the air care colorado test and pass ( actually had slightly higher emissions levels than the first time, but still under a quarter of the limit ) but they want $25 again. You only get 10 days to fix and re-test for free... but if I had known, or you know they posted this inspection bs somewhere first i could have done tha process first and saved the first $25. But they don't tell anyone that. Now with the scheduling inspections, weekends, and the unknown goal post - there is no way to get this done in 10 days.... Talk to managers, sweet talk the girl, plead my case which everyone agrees is kinda crappy - but they can't override the system and I'm stuck paying another $25. So. $50 4 trips to the center, over 4 hours waiting, and almost a month later I can now finish registration my truck.

Good job air care colorado - I could have kept and pass my polluting, oil leaking, oil burning inefficient 3.0 motor and passed your fake air quality test, but you rather punish me and make me jump through hoops for putting a newer, cleaner, more modern engine in my truck.

It isn't about air quality, it is about money.

2. The Following Member Says Thanks to DoctorDuke For This Post:

Rick (June 15th, 2016)

Last Online
    November 21st, 2023
    4x4
    4Runner
    User Name
    Chris
    Real Name
    Chris
    Thanks Given

Default Re: Air Care Colorado Sucks.

Been there Duke. I used their "help" center which didn't help at all other than informing me that my exhaust system was modified. No sh!t, but it still had all the cats and sensors. It took me 7 attempts to get my old FJ62 to pass and I only passed then because i loaded it up with isopropyl alcohol and ran it right into an open bay while it was nice n hot. Passed. Sold it to a guy in Iowa that didn't have to deal with emissions.

Oh yeah, their guidelines state that they can't test any vehicle with tires that measure 35" or higher. I had 35's but they measured at 34.5" which was another problem. I showed them where it stated what I referred to and they told me that was wrong and that they go by the tire size marked on the tire not the actual measurement. After "discussing" this with the manager I was told they'd fix the write-up on the website. Yeah, I'm willing to bet it still hasn't been changed.

Now I just watch for drive by testing, coast on through and hope I get a "pass."

Last Online
    April 6th, 2019
    4x4
    Toyota/Scout/Nissan
    User Name
    Patrolman
    Real Name
    Jeff
    Thanks Given

DoctorDuke previously posted:
    "So, I complain a little bit - why do I have to come in and wait and then be told these things? Why don't they put what the actual requirements are up on the website? Well... "There are over 40 pages and it can be confusing so..." I'm an academic chap - if they posted these 40 pages and told me what they where looking for... I would have done it right first. Getting judged on unknown criteria sucks. "

There isn't any reason this stuff shouldn't be posted. Other than that people may know the regs better than the inspectors, and start to argue with them. It would be WAY too convenient to be able to do things right the first time without any surprises!

Also, would the 3.0 have passed? I would have tested it with the original engine, and then done the swap. It buys you 2 years, and like Chris said, you could probably just pass on the drive-by monitors going forward.

Personally, I am prepping a car for a swap. When I do, I intend to get the e-test done before I even bother to put the title in my name. Then I don't have to worry about the temp tags expiring.

Last Online
    December 27th, 2016
    4x4
    89 4runner
    User Name
    DoctorDuke
    Real Name
    Duke
    Thanks Given

Going through the actual test the guy ahead of me got pulled through without getting tested, but was still inside waiting... They told him sometimes the push button 4wheel drive turns on by itself? and he had to go through the all wheel drive lane ( even though they directed him to the regular 2x lane) - but they put him at the back of the line! he was a little irritated.

Last Online
    April 6th, 2019
    4x4
    Toyota/Scout/Nissan
    User Name
    Patrolman
    Real Name
    Jeff
    Thanks Given

The WORST case ever there was they failed my truck for a visual test because my 1987 Toyota pickup didn't have all the equipment that the sticker under the hood said. I just about went loose on those people! Basically my response was "are you blind? The truck is dark brown and the hood is tan camo. CLEARLY the hood didn't come on the truck from the factory!" This was after 6 years or ownership, and it had been tested multiple times, but I was selling the truck. I went home and scraped off all the stickers under the hood. When it FINALLY passed the guy had to go through a bunch of documents to find what my truck was equipped with. It was a 22r, and was the last year for it so not many were made. It passed no problems.

Last Online
    September 7th, 2017
    4x4
    1975 Bronco Denver Edition
    User Name
    EKXJ87
    Real Name
    Steve
    Thanks Given

The Air Care Colorado Does SUCK!!!
    The only reason Weld County is testing is because Denver needed additional testing to qualify for more government funding (At least that what the county clerk told me). both times that I've taking my 87XJ for testing the person pulls out this "War and Peace" size book like there just trying to find something to fail me on. I've failed for not having hood?

IMO it's truly a test for discouraging older rides, did you notice that you pay and then they tell you to sit in the vehicle BEFORE they give you the results.

Last Online
    June 26th, 2022
    4x4
    94' toyota PU, 89 yj
    User Name
    94ToyBear
    Real Name
    Adam
    Thanks Given

My 89 yj had and engine swap from a 99 Cherokee.
    Air care didnt even test it, they cought me lol
    Did the inspection was pretty sure it would fail due to the fack my OBD2 scanners do not communicate through the OBD port.
    Dont have a check engine light, and really was not sure what the requirement was to pass other then the engine had to be 3 years newer and OBD communication, check engine light, and Cats.

Well soon after failing,the e test i blew up the rear diff,
    It was kind of a blessing, disguise! My shift indicator light was on because i drove down in 4X4 and no rear drive shaft.....the guy said hell pass the check engine light off with my shift indicator light......of course i shut my mouth!! And said thinks and even was wanting to tip the guy a 20! Lol
    I was still worried that Air care would not pass it because the check engine light did not show when key in in the run position....theye didnt catch it and yet too.
    Its really all a joke...

Last Online
    April 6th, 2019
    4x4
    Toyota/Scout/Nissan
    User Name
    Patrolman
    Real Name
    Jeff
    Thanks Given

Chris previously posted:
    "It took me 7 attempts to get my old FJ62 to pass and I only passed then because i loaded it up with isopropyl alcohol and ran it right into an open bay while it was nice n hot. Passed."

Been there, done that. Alcohol and over-inflated tires. That was the difference between a pass and a fail for one of my cars some time ago.

Last Online
    November 21st, 2023
    4x4
    4Runner
    User Name
    Chris
    Real Name
    Chris
    Thanks Given

I don't know about all trucks but they sure did tighten the emissions on my old truck too.

Last Online
    June 26th, 2022
    4x4
    94' toyota PU, 89 yj
    User Name
    94ToyBear
    Real Name
    Adam
    Thanks Given

Also one time took my girls 89 Honda to get tested....pulled up and the lady said "CANT TEST IT" keep driving forward" i had to get out of the car and and ask another employe why, she had to track the lady (manager) down abd ask why....she said there was a nail in the tire....i said where is it....she pointed, i looked.... And it was a rock!!!! Still didnt pass Brake light was on...drive to the store got a fluid in and tested. Got in to it with the same lady after i got my pass test.....i called her manager the next day and was told they had a few complaints against her and it will be handled

Last Online
    June 26th, 2022
    4x4
    94' toyota PU, 89 yj
    User Name
    94ToyBear
    Real Name
    Adam
    Thanks Given

Last year i has my e test done on my Lexus is300
    Its a rear wheel drive compact car...they were sooooooo confused why the front wheels were not truning and had to ask me why....i had to explain to them Why....

Last Online
    December 27th, 2016
    4x4
    89 4runner
    User Name
    DoctorDuke
    Real Name
    Duke
    Thanks Given

Patrolman previously posted:
    "Also, would the 3.0 have passed? I would have tested it with the original engine, and then done the swap. It buys you 2 years, and like Chris said, you could probably just pass on the drive-by monitors going forward."

Well, yeah that is a great idea and would be my advice for anyone in the future. I picked this up as a half done swap when I was looking for a new frame/body for my other project so it wouldn't have been an option. I doubt I would have thought about that even if had been an option.

Last Online
    December 27th, 2016
    4x4
    89 4runner
    User Name
    DoctorDuke
    Real Name
    Duke
    Thanks Given

EKXJ87 previously posted:
    "
    IMO it's truly a test for discouraging older rides, did you notice that you pay and then they tell you to sit in the vehicle BEFORE they give you the results."

Oh yeah, it's about money, funding, and selling newer cars - definitely not about the environment. They didn't have me sit in the truck before the results, but I could totally see them doing that so people don't argue ( like i tried to ).

To be fair everyone working there was nice enough, and it's the bureaucracy of the entire system that makes it suck so hard.

Last Online
    April 21st, 2021
    4x4
    2004 Jeep LJ
    User Name
    Brian
    Real Name
    Brian
    Thanks Given

I had a similar situation with my Scout (before the engine swap). I lived in Kalifornia and had to source all the emissions equipment the previous owner had removed. Got it all done, everything all hooked up and passed the emissions part with room to spare. The guy failed me because the fuel filler neck did not have the hose reducer to prevent filling with "regular unleaded" fuel. You can buy them at AutoZone for under $5 so I got one and wedged it in there and drove back. Of course I had to go through the revenue generating process again, but I passed the visual inspection the second time.

Last Online
    November 3rd, 2023
    4x4
    84 CJ8
    User Name
    Spieg
    Real Name
    Brian
    Thanks Given

The program may have been a good thing back in the day (and that's debatable), but it's just ridiculous these days...

It's certainly not about the environment, and I don't really think it's about making money ($25 a shot can't be making a ton of profit with their overhead costs). More than anything I think it's an employment program.

Last Online
    April 6th, 2019
    4x4
    Toyota/Scout/Nissan
    User Name
    Patrolman
    Real Name
    Jeff
    Thanks Given

I wouldn't be terribly opposed to this if the state were running it. Instead it is a private person who owns all the stations and is basically printing money. None of it goes to the state and it is essentially a monopoly. Nobody else can join and of course it is mandatory. It is like having a money tree.

Here is interesting info from when Envirotest first came to Colorado:

http://tucsoncitizen.com/morgue2/199...ng-on-success/

Last Online
    6 Days Ago
    4x4
    03 Ranger FX4
    User Name
    The StRanger
    Real Name
    Sam
    Thanks Given

We are about to go through this with smurf. The 81 82 broncos never came with a 302\5.0. His came with the 4.9 straight 6 with air pump. Hoping they just run the idle, 2500, idle test

Last Online
    April 6th, 2019
    4x4
    Toyota/Scout/Nissan
    User Name
    Patrolman
    Real Name
    Jeff
    Thanks Given

Idle/2500/Idle is only for model years 1981 and older. Had to get that done on the 69 Chevy when I sold it recently. The funniest was when I had my Scout II in for its only e-test. They couldn't figure out how to open the hood since it pops the reverse direction. They had to have me come out and help.

Last Online
    December 27th, 2016
    4x4
    89 4runner
    User Name
    DoctorDuke
    Real Name
    Duke
    Thanks Given

Spieg previously posted:
    "The program may have been a good thing back in the day (and that's debatable), but it's just ridiculous these days...

It's certainly not about the environment, and I don't really think it's about making money ($25 a shot can't be making a ton of profit with their overhead costs). More than anything I think it's an employment program."

I think there are grant programs and other federal funding type shenanigans going on that supplement the $25 fee there.

Last Online
    1 Week Ago
    4x4
    2012 Rock Ware Buggy & 2007 JKUR
    User Name
    newracer
    Real Name
    Michael
    Thanks Given

I know a guy that used to work there. He said anyone with any intelligence is immediately promoted to a supervisor or manager position. The turnover rate of employees is very high and most of the techs are idiots. After a few months he was running one of the stations up here and making pretty good money. However he couldn't stand the idiots so he quit.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast