Front Range 4x4 Upcoming Trail Runs - Add a New Trail Run

Thread: Back to control arms

Default Back to control arms

So i had already started to build some long arms for the front of my TJ. Well I really need to get my SYE installed so I am building some Short Adjustable arms for the rear so I can adjust my pinion angle when I get the drive shaft and SYE installed. I bought some 1.5"od x 3/8"id tubing today and will be boring out and tapping them for a 1"-14 thread for a Johnny Joint on each end. Pics to come in the next few days.

Default Re: Back to control arms

I'm pretty proud of these. I'm making some long arms for the front but I wont be able to use the for awhile so I'm using the Johnny Joints I bought for the long arms to make some adjustable lower control arms for the rear so I can adjust the pinion for the new drive shaft.

The long one is the Long Arm

The short one is the temporary short arm until I can run full long arms.

looks like some nice work there!!

Last Online
    August 9th, 2012
    User Name
    Brody
    Real Name
    Pete Brody

Those are really nice Fred! Do you have any idea how jealous some of us are that you have access to a full machine shop??

Nice vacuum, too! Good to see that you are taking care of your new place! Could we please see a picture of the kitchen next?

Just kiddin....

Thanks, The vacuum was gift for my new apartment. Anyway, it was still kind of a bummer I still had to tap these by hand. Machines cant do all my work for me.

We have a tube sander at work so I just polished them up with it. Works real nice too.

Got one finished today with the Wrench Flats milled in.

2 days later and no one has said anything about this one.

Last Online
    August 19th, 2014
    4x4
    2007 FJ Cruiser
    User Name
    Pathrat
    Real Name
    Stephanie
    Thanks Given

DETN8R previously posted:
    "2 days later and no one has said anything about this one."

I know nothing about what you have done, I know it's pretty cool that you can do it, and you have some nice new shiny parts up here. I'm all mechanically disinclined.

Last Online
    November 21st, 2023
    4x4
    4Runner
    User Name
    Chris
    Real Name
    Chris
    Thanks Given

I'm a bit more mechanically inclined than Pathrat and have to say they look great but having an old Land Cruiser control arms like those are still quite foreign to me. :o

Yeah, links sure are making this complicated. Sometimes I do wish I just had some leaf springs.
    Thanks for the comments.

Last Online
    August 19th, 2014
    4x4
    2007 FJ Cruiser
    User Name
    Pathrat
    Real Name
    Stephanie
    Thanks Given

Admin previously posted:
    "I'm a bit more mechanically inclined than Pathrat . :o"

LOL! "A bit"? A lot bit! I believe I can find my control arms and have heard that they are too skinny and someone is making replacements now. Gonna look real stupid, but exactly what do they control?

they hold the axle to the frame and allow the adjustment of the pinion angle(the way it tilts)

Last Online
    August 9th, 2012
    User Name
    Brody
    Real Name
    Pete Brody

Geee Pathrat.....getta 4x book or sumptin why doncha....and be cool like da rest of us. We'll even chip in fo a can o' Cope....

Anyway, It's nice you ask. Here is the basic deal:

Leaf springs locate the axle so that it doesn't move back back and forth in relation to the vehicle by being anchored to spring perches welded on the axle shafts and attached by u bolts, thus clamping the axles to the springs.

Anything that uses coils springs and not leaf springs needs something to control and anchor the axles so that they do not move backward and forward. This is where you hear about '3 link, 4 link, control arms,'. Land Cruisers (80 series) use coils and control arms, early Broncos use coils and control arms for example. IFS suspensions use a version of control arm called a radius arm, but this is somewhat different as the axles are already located by means of the 'A' arms on the IFS.

What Fred is doing is moving the points where the 'arms' are located to the frame on his Jeep inboard in relation to the axles, thus allowing for more flex. This is commonly called a 'long arm' kit. He is also adding very flexible 'Heim or Johnny' joints to both mounting points and getting rid of the stock bushing, also allowing for a much more flexible setup.

3 link and 4 link are terms used to describe a coil (or modified-like with air shocks) suspension where the 'control arms' (ie links) are mounted in some form of triangulation to the axle allowing for the most extreme flex you can get. Almost all the super rock buggies have a 'linked' suspension.

Another form of suspension is 'semi eliptical'. This is where, in the most basic terms, someone takes 1/2 of a leaf spring set up, mounts it in a tubing 'box' upside down and anchors this to the regular spring pack in lieu of a frame mounted shackle mount. This is also an extremely flexible form of suspension and is kinda a 'po' boys link'.

I hope that this explains it a little. Just had to give you a little crap at the start...HOHO

I am glad that you are curious enough to ask questions. Having been on discussions where it seemed that the people who were talking were speaking in another language, I found it really frustrating, especially if I wasn't getting answers.

Last Online
    August 19th, 2014
    4x4
    2007 FJ Cruiser
    User Name
    Pathrat
    Real Name
    Stephanie
    Thanks Given

brody previously posted:
    "Geee Pathrat.....getta 4x book or sumptin why doncha....and be cool like da rest of us. We'll even chip in fo a can o' Cope....

Anyway, It's nice you ask. Here is the basic deal:

Leaf springs locate the axle .......extremely flexible form of suspension and is kinda a 'po' boys link'.

I hope that this explains it a little. Just had to give you a little crap at the start...HOHO

I am glad that you are curious enough to ask questions. Having been on discussions where it seemed that the people who were talking were speaking in another language, I found it really frustrating, especially if I wasn't getting answers."

Ok, thank you. awards for this one! I am going to have to read this post several times then print it out then have you point to the parts on a rig so I can solidify a picture in my head that will cement a basic understanding. I do know what a Heim joint is though! I've seen a busted one on a tie rod end!

AND, in my spare time (before the laptop went to the shop) I was reading beginning to read the posts on the engine and auto in general on the site "How Stuff Works" to teach myself some basices.

When my kids want something and I say no, sometimes the reply is, "What happened to you, you used to be cool!" I tell them I was never cool but maybe that can o' chew can resurrect the coolness I once had. I can totally take funnin' crap in exchange for good information.

Members who have read this thread: 1