2006 Jeep LJ
    User Name
    Java
    Real Name
    Paul
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,788 Times in 1,261 Posts

Default Tool Bag

I've been looking for a way to organize my tools that I carry offroad better, right now they're in some Husky bags from the home depot that are OK for storage, but a PITA to use when something actually happens, and I always have to unpack a bunch of stuff to find what I want. And repack it correctly so it fits, then take it all out at home, repeat next trip. I found this one and the reviews are great, plus it's affordable and should hold everything.

http://www.amazon.com/Custom-Leather...ETTHQRA8CXPGNK

Last Online
    November 3rd, 2023
    4x4
    84 CJ8
    User Name
    Spieg
    Real Name
    Brian
    Thanks Given

Default Re: Tool Bag

Looks like a nice sturdy bag at a good price. Durability and capacity are the most important attributes to me. For trail use, I tend to stay away from the bags with a bazillion pockets. It always seems like most of the pockets were not really the size I need/want, and after bouncing around in the Jeep for I while I found much of the contests were no longer in their intended pockets anyway. My current bag has a big main compartment with about 6 good size pockets that can each be zipped shut.

Last Online
    July 16th, 2023
    4x4
    2000 Runner
    User Name
    moose
    Real Name
    Andrew aka Drew aka AC
    Thanks Given

I'm a fan of wrench rolls. I have a small Dickies "paint" roll that fits my box wrenches and a large Bucket Boss roll that has socket wrenches, extensions, allen key sets, pliers, vice grips, wire strippers, crimpers and other misc. And it has pockets that I put the socket sizes I know I would need for standard repairs. What I don't like about the Bucket Boss is the that it doesn't have flaps to keep stuff from sliding out once rolled up, the Dickies brand have these. I had both these stuffed into a Bucket Boss "Doc" bag that is about 16-18" long until I got recovery gear. Now my straps and shackles are in the bag with the wrench roll and there is plenty of room for extra stuff like electrical connectors, zip ties, gorilla tape and other tools to bulky for a roll. The Bucket Boss now rides solo next to the bag.

Here's what I have...
    http://www.amazon.com/Bucket-Boss-60...boss+gatemouth

http://www.amazon.com/Bucket-Boss-70004-Tool-Roll/dp/B00GK4U208/ref=sr_1_1?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1455086721&sr=1-1&keywords=bucket+boss+tool+roll

http://www.amazon.com/Dickies-Work-G...int+brush+roll
    I have the white version cause it was only $8 at the time.

Last Online
    December 23rd, 2023
    4x4
    2006 Jeep LJ
    User Name
    Java
    Real Name
    Paul
    Thanks Given

This showed up today, I got a cosmetic second for $46.00 and can't see what the issue is. It's a great bag. I got my wrenches organized in a roll along with specialty sockets, fit that along with my ratchets, tire kit, compressor, jumper cables, breaker bar, hacksaw, duct tape, siphon and the Haynes manual wrapped in plastic into the center compartment. I made one outside compartment for tools, the other side for parts including my trailer. I still have room for more, but I'm not filling it just for the sake of filling it, it's pretty damn heavy already. I also put my BFH on the outside, I have a prybar I use for my swaybar disconnects that will go there too. The little black bag hanging off it is my winch controller. I have one other bag for recovery gear, straps and stuff that get really dirty will all go together. I'd buy it again in a heartbeat, totally recommend it.

Last Online
    July 16th, 2023
    4x4
    2000 Runner
    User Name
    moose
    Real Name
    Andrew aka Drew aka AC
    Thanks Given

Nicely done. I like the side compartments

6. The Following Member Says Thanks to moose For This Post:

Java (February 13th, 2016)

Last Online
    April 14th, 2016
    User Name
    gm4x4lover
    Real Name
    Nicholas Boisvert
    Thanks Given

I generally try to use blow molded cases. Most of the time my tools will stay organized, dry, and not rust. Plud i like beaing able to stack stuff on top of them. The Matco and snap on guys will keep a look out for me when they sell anything in a blow molded case and sell it for fairly cheap.

Last Online
    December 23rd, 2023
    4x4
    2006 Jeep LJ
    User Name
    Java
    Real Name
    Paul
    Thanks Given

I've been using this for two years now and would recommend it. The contents have evolved over the years, and I've managed to consolidate everything except trail spares into or on it that I need for repairs and recovery. I probably overload it, there's even a bottle jack in it, and it gets carried / dropped / dragged all over and shows basically no wear. If I washed it it would look like new. No problems with anything, all the zippers work and nothing has torn. It weighs about 70lbs so stealing it would be a challenge, I can probably outrun anyone carrying it.

9. The Following Member Says Thanks to Java For This Post:

Spieg (February 19th, 2018)

Last Online
    December 23rd, 2023
    4x4
    2006 Jeep LJ
    User Name
    Java
    Real Name
    Paul
    Thanks Given

Finally managed to damage it, put it down on rocks and as it got moved around one of the feet tore halfway off. It was stiched before assembly, I can't get to the backside of the fabric through the bottom of the bag so I used Scotch Extreme Mounting Tape. I use it for Gopro mounts and such, it's really strong. So far so good. I'm using it as an opportunity to clean it (cleaned up like new, damage aside) and go through and reduce my gear too, I think I'm carrying too much stuff...