Front Range 4x4 Upcoming Trail Runs - Add a New Trail Run

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: tire discussion! big ol' tire thread.

Last Online
    4 Hours Ago
    4x4
    '12 Jeep Wrangler Sport 2.5" lift, 33s, winch
    User Name
    Tom
    Real Name
    Tom
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,234 Times in 933 Posts

Default Re: tire discussion! big ol' tire thread.

Tom previously posted:
    "New Cooper ATPs to replace my dry rotted Treadwright Guardogs. 55k treadwear warranty."

So tried these out on the snow and ice yesterday and again this morning, really, really good traction and stopping.

Last Online
    July 7th, 2023
    4x4
    2017 JKUR Recon
    User Name
    dieseldoc
    Real Name
    Brandon
    Thanks Given

So first day with my Mastercraft tires.
    They are quiter on the freeway for sure.
    Seem to be ok in the snow but we shale see.

Last Online
    January 2nd, 2019
    4x4
    TJ
    User Name
    GPP33
    Real Name
    Pete
    Thanks Given

Got a chance to drive my KM2s on the TJ in the snow today. I'm pretty sure steel drums would have more traction. I've never experienced anything so terrible. These things should come with a warning sticker! Good thing the TJ isn't my dd.

I took oil my wife's subi for a spin just to make sure the roads weren't the problem and I could hardly get the ABS to kick on.

Last Online
    1 Hour Ago
    4x4
    1990 Jeep Wrangler (YJ)
    User Name
    Jim
    Real Name
    Jim Williamson
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 3,008 Times in 2,005 Posts

GPP33 previously posted:
    "Got a chance to drive my KM2s on the TJ in the snow today. I'm pretty sure steel drums would have more traction"

Now I know how to describe how my KM's perform on snow (which are probably worse than your KM2's)!

Last Online
    December 8th, 2020
    4x4
    '97 Ford Explorer XLT
    User Name
    ExplorerTom
    Real Name
    Tom
    Thanks Given

Yeah, muds are horrible in the snow on the street. I'm surprised JK Rubicons come with muds from the factory.

Last Online
    January 2nd, 2019
    4x4
    TJ
    User Name
    GPP33
    Real Name
    Pete
    Thanks Given

ExplorerTom previously posted:
    "Yeah, muds are horrible in the snow on the street. I'm surprised JK Rubicons come with muds from the factory."

I've driven muds on snow, these redefine horrible. We're talking a whole new level of suck I didn't even know existed. These things slide so well I'm thinking about lining the bottom of my skis with them.

Last Online
    November 21st, 2023
    4x4
    4Runner
    User Name
    Chris
    Real Name
    Chris
    Thanks Given

GPP33 previously posted:
    "These things slide so well I'm thinking about lining the bottom of my skis with them."

Best laugh I had today!

Last Online
    July 7th, 2023
    4x4
    2017 JKUR Recon
    User Name
    dieseldoc
    Real Name
    Brandon
    Thanks Given

I was expecting my new tirss to be a bit sloppy in the snow.
    But they did welll today in the mix of slush hard pack and the the frozen version after senset.

9. The Following Member Says Thanks to dieseldoc For This Post:

moose (November 29th, 2015)

Last Online
    October 9th, 2023
    4x4
    05 4Runner
    User Name
    jayson44
    Real Name
    Jay
    Thanks Given

exactly why I didn't want another set of KM2s. my KO2s are performing well so far.

J.

Last Online
    June 24th, 2022
    4x4
    co-parent->92,93,2-94s & '96 Explorers, 06 4Runner
    User Name
    TxCowgirlInCo
    Real Name
    Leila
    Thanks Given

Very interesting thread, lots of good info!

Well that brings me to the question of needing snow tires... or maybe not? For everyday driving in the city I've kept 32" BFG ATs on since arriving in Co and they've done great...including the few times I've dared snow driving But having been told that I have yet to see real 'ice'.. I wonder if sipped tires (either winter tires or getting mine done) will make a difference on ice? I know this may be a no brainer for you native snow drivers, but snow and I are taking a while to 'get accquainted' Any advice would be appreciated...

Also, if this needed to go into a new thread, I apologize!

Last Online
    December 3rd, 2023
    4x4
    1990 Cherokee
    User Name
    Hypoid
    Real Name
    Mike
    Thanks Given

TxCowgirlInCo previously posted:
    "I wonder if sipped tires (either winter tires or getting mine done) will make a difference on ice?"

If you can afford to purchase and store tires for winter use, start shopping for studded snow tires.

Last Online
    January 2nd, 2019
    4x4
    TJ
    User Name
    GPP33
    Real Name
    Pete
    Thanks Given

An AT tire should already have plenty of siping. After market siping is only necessary on a big lugged mud tire. And we don't get "real ice" in Co, we get some slick nasty packed snow and an occasional odd minor ice storm but not real ice like they see out east.

If you haven't spent much time driving in snow you're better off spending the money on the driving course they do in Steamboat, or even going to an empty parking lot (without light poles or parking blocks) and learning what a slide feels like and how to correct it. What happens when your ABS kicks in and what happens when you hit the brakes while spinning vs hit the gas vs do nothing but steer. Your BFG ATs are fine snow tires, efforts are better spent learning how to drive in the greatness that is snow. My $.02.

14. The Following 2 Members Say Thanks to GPP33 For This Post:

Bob (December 3rd, 2015),sdswingr (December 4th, 2015)

Last Online
    July 7th, 2023
    4x4
    2017 JKUR Recon
    User Name
    dieseldoc
    Real Name
    Brandon
    Thanks Given

X2 on the last post.
    The time spent learning to drive in the snow is much more important than going and sipping a good set of tires.
    Yet I know many folks that will sipe a new set of tire be them offroad or some sport car tire.
    It been studied alot and after market sipping does improve ice condition driving.
    The best thing is experience.

Call C.O.R.E.
    They have some big open places out there. And some of the obstacles will be good learning in the snow.

We snow wheel offten, so keep your eyes open as I take folks south to the 3 gulthes and little moab fairly offten.
    These are great trips and the snow is not so deep its not fun....

Last Online
    December 6th, 2023
    4x4
    '14 Grand Cherokee, '01 F350
    User Name
    Bob
    Real Name
    Bob
    Thanks Given

GPP33 previously posted:
    "An AT tire should already have plenty of siping. After market siping is only necessary on a big lugged mud tire. And we don't get "real ice" in Co, we get some slick nasty packed snow and an occasional odd minor ice storm but not real ice like they see out east.

If you haven't spent much time driving in snow you're better off spending the money on the driving course they do in Steamboat, or even going to an empty parking lot (without light poles or parking blocks) and learning what a slide feels like and how to correct it. What happens when your ABS kicks in and what happens when you hit the brakes while spinning vs hit the gas vs do nothing but steer. Your BFG ATs are fine snow tires, efforts are better spent learning how to drive in the greatness that is snow. My $.02."

Yes, yes, yes!

The best tire on the planet is not going to save you if you don't know how to handle winter conditions.

Last Online
    February 28th, 2018
    4x4
    95' Bronco
    User Name
    Fordguy77
    Real Name
    Christopher
    Thanks Given

Having a small armada of vehicles, I have gotten to play around with several different tires on a variety of things.

I must be an oddity because I honestly loved my KMs in the snow. Granted I was running narrow 33s, on a 6500 lbs truck. They never seemed any worse on the ice than any of the other tires I've had.
    However I think a lot of it might depend on the type of snow and a few other factors

On Kateys Dakota we ran the falken rocky mountains (same thing as wild peak) and actually had excellent luck with them. We took them off her Explorer with around 15k on them, and still managed another 40k on her Dakota until her ball joints went. During that time they saw moderate off road use, and we're used primary as her daily driver. The only time we ever had any performance issues with them was in the mud which is typically an issue with any all terrain. Her Dakota is locked front and rear, and still was extremely stable in snow and ice.

We had a good enough experience with them, that I put them on my Ranger, which is a dd.

When it came time to buy new tires for her truck, the falkens are all on backorder because of the new version coming soon. So we ended up with the Cooper ATPs, and they seem to out shine any other AT we've ever used.

On the Bronco, we have BFG KOs, because at the time we bought it, it was intended to be a DD and the lack of options for a 33x10.5 didn't give us much choice. That being said, I absolutely can not stand them. Personally they are one of the worst ATs avaliable. I've had them on 3 vehicles, and don't have a single positive thing to say about them.

We have duratracs on our 2000 super duty, and they've preformed fairly well, haven't overwhelmed me with any great impressions, but they do work well, just a bit too pricey for me to purchase again. I've ran 3 different procomps on the same truck, 2 of which were free, and can honestly say I'll never spend a penny on a procomp again.

On the Tacoma I'm running Cooper STT Tek3s. It's a fairly aggressive tire more between a AT and an MT, and absolutely love them. They are a bit loud, but they have excellent grip in just about any weather I've thrown at them. After 25K they still have 90% tread life, and for as aggressive as they are, that seems incredible to me. They do have the mud tire hum. Which doesn't bother me, but some people seem to be sensitive to tire noise for whatever reason.

Aside from that I've ran some Hankooks, yokos, toyos, and a few others. However the odds of me ever running anything from them again are slim you none.

Last Online
    April 21st, 2021
    4x4
    2004 Jeep LJ
    User Name
    Brian
    Real Name
    Brian
    Thanks Given

I have 315/75R16 Duratracs on my F-350 (SRW, leveling kit) and have no complaints. They are 5 1/2 years old with about 30K on them with ~40% - 45% tread left. I've never had a traction or stopping issue the last 4 winters with them and with regular rotating they have worn evenly. I have used them very little in the dirt, but they did just fine. I think they are quiet on the highway as well, but the 7.3L PSD may be drowning them out!

I have 36" Iroks on the Scout and they have been great off road. It sees very little street action so I've never been able to test them on anything other than dry pavement. I run them at about 15 psi and haven't had any issues losing a bead or anything. They seem relatively stiff overall, so I may go even lower this year to try it out. Overall I like them but will go back to a 35" tire once these are done. I just got a good deal on them used a few years ago and needed something quick.

Last Online
    December 6th, 2023
    4x4
    '14 Grand Cherokee, '01 F350
    User Name
    Bob
    Real Name
    Bob
    Thanks Given

Fordguy77 previously posted:
    "Having a small armada of vehicles, I have gotten to play around with several different tires on a variety of things.

I must be an oddity because I honestly loved my KMs in the snow. Granted I was running narrow 33s, on a 6500 lbs truck. They never seemed any worse on the ice than any of the other tires I've had.
    However I think a lot of it might depend on the type of snow and a few other factors

On Kateys Dakota we ran the falken rocky mountains (same thing as wild peak) and actually had excellent luck with them. We took them off her Explorer with around 15k on them, and still managed another 40k on her Dakota until her ball joints went. During that time they saw moderate off road use, and we're used primary as her daily driver. The only time we ever had any performance issues with them was in the mud which is typically an issue with any all terrain. Her Dakota is locked front and rear, and still was extremely stable in snow and ice.

We had a good enough experience with them, that I put them on my Ranger, which is a dd.

When it came time to buy new tires for her truck, the falkens are all on backorder because of the new version coming soon. So we ended up with the Cooper ATPs, and they seem to out shine any other AT we've ever used.

On the Bronco, we have BFG KOs, because at the time we bought it, it was intended to be a DD and the lack of options for a 33x10.5 didn't give us much choice. That being said, I absolutely can not stand them. Personally they are one of the worst ATs avaliable. I've had them on 3 vehicles, and don't have a single positive thing to say about them.

We have duratracs on our 2000 super duty, and they've preformed fairly well, haven't overwhelmed me with any great impressions, but they do work well, just a bit too pricey for me to purchase again. I've ran 3 different procomps on the same truck, 2 of which were free, and can honestly say I'll never spend a penny on a procomp again.

On the Tacoma I'm running Cooper STT Tek3s. It's a fairly aggressive tire more between a AT and an MT, and absolutely love them. They are a bit loud, but they have excellent grip in just about any weather I've thrown at them. After 25K they still have 90% tread life, and for as aggressive as they are, that seems incredible to me. They do have the mud tire hum. Which doesn't bother me, but some people seem to be sensitive to tire noise for whatever reason.

Aside from that I've ran some Hankooks, yokos, toyos, and a few others. However the odds of me ever running anything from them again are slim you none."

Thanks, quite informative. What didn't you like about the Hankooks? My 99 Wrangler came to me with Hankook AT tires, and they seem ok in the winter, accounting for the short wheelbase.

Last Online
    February 28th, 2018
    4x4
    95' Bronco
    User Name
    Fordguy77
    Real Name
    Christopher
    Thanks Given

Honestly they just didn't seem to suit my needs, and seemed to have a grip issue during modest rains. The rear end would routinely start to come out on my pickup, despite not having enough power to drive it's way through a wet paper bag.

Last Online
    July 7th, 2023
    4x4
    2017 JKUR Recon
    User Name
    dieseldoc
    Real Name
    Brandon
    Thanks Given

I am a week now on my mastercrafts these are built by cooper and share the familar older toyo mt style tread patern.
    These things are far quiter than the maxxis tires.
    The maxxis tires cherpped and barked always and it was amussing for sure the looks on folks face in a parking lot.
    The mastercrafts have scuffed a touch but have yet to bark.
    We need a new storm so I see if they let the front push thtough like the mazzis tires did.

As the rear is welded the front pushes instead of steers.

Last Online
    October 9th, 2023
    4x4
    05 4Runner
    User Name
    jayson44
    Real Name
    Jay
    Thanks Given

Doink previously posted:
    "I have 36" Iroks on the Scout"

if I can swing the cash, I'd love to pick up a set of these for my TJ to use as just trail tires. I've seen Iroks do amazing things on the trails and they're pretty floaty in the snow when aired down.

I'd say you could go a bit lower on them and be fine. I usually run 10-12psi in my 35s (no beadlocks) and did so on my 33s in the past as well. the lower you can go w/out losing a bead, the better. as you said, they're stiff, so lower will help.

J.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123