2006 Jeep LJ
    User Name
    Java
    Real Name
    Paul
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,788 Times in 1,261 Posts

Default Xterra

Went to Autonation Nissan on 104th today and dealt with a guy named John Dean. I *&$%ing hate car salesman and I'd deal with him again, he just showed us the car and made jokes, no pressure. We got a Certified PreOwned 2013 Xterra S with 24k on it, it's awesome. The power is fantastic, it rides great, we love it. and they are willing to deal, especially if you get up and walk out. We got it for $344.00 over the amount we had decided on before we arrived, which was not a generous offer. Can't wait to get it out into the dirt, we're probably going to take it and the Jeep on a trail tomorrow.

Autonation doesn't screw around, the sticker was already in the window of the Subaru when I went to get our stuff out, you can see her jacket on the seat behind the sticker. Happy trails, little Forester!

First up... http://nissteclifts.com/index.php?pa...mart&Itemid=72

2. The Following Member Says Thanks to Java For This Post:

MultiScuf (October 3rd, 2015)

Last Online
    16 Hours Ago
    4x4
    1970CJ5 1958WillysWagon
    User Name
    FINOCJ
    Real Name
    James Orofino
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,588 Times in 965 Posts

Default Re: Xterra

New cars are fun. Enjoy!

4. The Following Member Says Thanks to FINOCJ For This Post:

Java (October 3rd, 2015)

Last Online
    February 24th, 2019
    4x4
    Jeep Comanche
    User Name
    dscowell
    Real Name
    Dante
    Thanks Given

One of my friends has the same gen Xterra thing rides and drives great. Just keep in mind they are top heavy so you don't end up like this....

6. The Following Member Says Thanks to dscowell For This Post:

Java (October 3rd, 2015)

Last Online
    December 3rd, 2023
    4x4
    1990 Cherokee
    User Name
    Hypoid
    Real Name
    Mike
    Thanks Given

Keep us posted Paul. Your observations will be appreciated.

I rented an X in '07 or '08, to drive to G.J. and back. It ran well, but I was expecting better fuel economy from a "new" vehicle.

8. The Following Member Says Thanks to Hypoid For This Post:

Java (October 3rd, 2015)

Last Online
    December 23rd, 2023
    4x4
    2006 Jeep LJ
    User Name
    Java
    Real Name
    Paul
    Thanks Given

That rollover looks rough! Hope your friend was alright.

I can tell from the power that the mileage is not going to be anywhere near the Foresters. Fortunately neither will the power.

10. The Following Member Says Thanks to Java For This Post:

dscowell (October 4th, 2015)

Last Online
    38 Minutes Ago
    4x4
    03 Ranger FX4
    User Name
    The StRanger
    Real Name
    Sam
    Thanks Given

Very nice

12. The Following Member Says Thanks to The StRanger For This Post:

Java (October 4th, 2015)

Last Online
    3 Hours Ago
    4x4
    Jeep Cherokee XJ
    User Name
    xaza
    Real Name
    Cliff
    Thanks Given

congratulations. My sister had one that I used to take her to the airport, on the highway that thing likes to go zoom zoom. Caught myself a couple times slipping up over 80 and it was so smooth I didn't even notice until I looked at speedometer.

Cesare Pavese

14. The Following Member Says Thanks to xaza For This Post:

Java (October 4th, 2015)

Last Online
    February 24th, 2019
    4x4
    Jeep Comanche
    User Name
    dscowell
    Real Name
    Dante
    Thanks Given

Everyone was alright but thanks for your concern. It was a very slow roll over and just screwed the windshield and roof up. If anything I give the thing more respect for running like it never happened after getting the oil out of the cylinders. There tough vehicles!

Last Online
    May 24th, 2016
    4x4
    Jeep Grand Cherokee
    User Name
    Shadowmaker
    Real Name
    Jim
    Thanks Given

Congrats on the X! Love ours... great capability, fantastic power, and a good value for a newer vehicle that still has 4 low and a locking rear diff.

Nissans are really under rated for all the capability they have.

17. The Following Member Says Thanks to Shadowmaker For This Post:

Java (October 11th, 2015)

Last Online
    December 23rd, 2023
    4x4
    2006 Jeep LJ
    User Name
    Java
    Real Name
    Paul
    Thanks Given

It's an awesome truck, we LOVE it over the Subaru. no rear locker on mine yet, it's an S not a pro4x, but it's going to get an ARB next year, unless Eaton makes a Truetrac for it between now and then. I'm looking at the Powertrax No-Slip as an option too, it seems ARB and Powertrax are the only current options for the C200K axle, but given what we plan for it a limited slip would be fine. I have a thread going about it on a Nissan forum, I'm hoping someone knows something I don't...

Last Online
    May 24th, 2016
    4x4
    Jeep Grand Cherokee
    User Name
    Shadowmaker
    Real Name
    Jim
    Thanks Given

Could also look for a Pro4x or Off-road axle that already has one if you want to invest that much into a change. Some of the traction control systems in these newer vehicles are fantastic. Makes you wonder how much you really need a locker they way they work for most of our wheeling.

Last Online
    December 23rd, 2023
    4x4
    2006 Jeep LJ
    User Name
    Java
    Real Name
    Paul
    Thanks Given

The traction control is pretty cool, I felt the tires slip on a hill, the light came on and everything was fine. It has an off switch for the traction control, which is good too. Until it needs it, it's staying open.

Got a set of used skid plates from a Pro 4X that were lightly used. A little BFH and they were fine, I'm letting them sit with Simple Green sprayed on them until after work and then they're getting wire brushed, scrubbed with brillo and primed / painted with ACE Ruststop primer and Satin Black paint, mostly because I already have it. Brillo is great for used metal prep, it scuff sands and degreases all in one.

Found a hitch on ebay, cleaned it up and painted it with Rustoleum Hammered Black, which is not exactly black and should look good on in. That paint is really tough, easy to touch up.

Last Online
    December 23rd, 2023
    4x4
    2006 Jeep LJ
    User Name
    Java
    Real Name
    Paul
    Thanks Given

Got the skid plates ready, took a sander and a wire brush to all the surface rust and a hammer and drift to all the "participation trophies". Overall they were in good shape and didn't need too much work. I primed and painted all the repaired parts black, then used a brush to paint them and the hitch with Rustoleum Hammered Black. That's really the cool part of all of this, that paint is awesome. I put in a close up of the texture, that is what you get with a thick, sloppy coat done with a cheap disposable brush. It's awesome paint, even the drips look good, there are some big ones at the bottom of the closeup photo at the edges of the holes, when I painted the other side it dripped through. The texture is like camouflage, it hides almost any surface imperfection and touches up imperceptibly. You can see how not black it really is, I just repainted my Jeep hard top in Rustoleum Satin Black and put a piece of the skids next to it in one of the pics for comparison.

Last Online
    December 23rd, 2023
    4x4
    2006 Jeep LJ
    User Name
    Java
    Real Name
    Paul
    Thanks Given

Had a weird problem this past week, the engine started making a whining sound and the check engine, brakes and some other lights came on. We took it into Nissan, they called and asked when I had put coolant in, to which I said never and they said there was coolant all over the serpentine belt and it needed to be replaced. $184.00 for that, so I passed and picked up a nice Gates belt at NAPA for $21.00 on the way home. They found an electrical issue too, apparently the vehicle was in a fender bender before we got it and they routed a harness incorrectly and it wore down to a ground fault, so we thought that was it, no idea on the coolant. When we got home it was up to normal temp so we opened the hood to let it cool for the belt swap, and I saw a little stream of coolant arcing from the top of the radiator to the top of the belt. There was a tiny pinhole in the overflow line that only showed up under pressure, so the dealer missed it. I trimmed 1" off and reattached it. Moyle FTW!

Got rid of the locking lug nuts that came with it, those things always go south at the wrong time. I put them in a bag and left them for the local metal guy who works our alley. It also had some lame tire caps with fake diamonds on them, one of them destroyed a Schrader valve coming off. Glad it's under warranty, that would have been $175.00 plus mounting / balancing. Empire Nissan is awesome.

Also started an emergency kit. It's our "softroader" so it's more geared to onroad stuff, and it's going to change / grow, I just was at Harbor Freight...

Last Online
    June 13th, 2018
    4x4
    05 Land Rover LR3, 01 Discovery
    User Name
    Brad
    Real Name
    Brad
    Thanks Given

My SOP with any visual coolant issue is to pressure test the system. Do you need a new radiator?

24. The Following Member Says Thanks to Brad For This Post:

Java (March 23rd, 2017)

Last Online
    December 3rd, 2023
    4x4
    1990 Cherokee
    User Name
    Hypoid
    Real Name
    Mike
    Thanks Given

I don't see a AAA card in that kit...

26. The Following Member Says Thanks to Hypoid For This Post:

Java (January 30th, 2016)

Last Online
    December 23rd, 2023
    4x4
    2006 Jeep LJ
    User Name
    Java
    Real Name
    Paul
    Thanks Given

Brad previously posted:
    "My SOP with any visual coolant issue is to pressure test the system. Do you need a new radiator?"

No, it's a 2013 with 27k so it really should need nothing. The hose was a simple 1/2" or so rubber line that runs from the radiator neck to the overflow tank, and it had a little leak less than an inch from the clamp. I'd guess the installer nicked it and it too until now to show up.

We switched it to Mobil 1 too, it was only $30.00 more, $79.00. I hate doing oil changes, I'm glad to pay for it.

Last Online
    December 14th, 2019
    4x4
    96 Explrer XLT / 94 Explrer Sport / 92 Explrer XLT
    User Name
    96EXXLTinCO
    Real Name
    Chad
    Thanks Given

Paul previously posted:
    "We switched it to Mobil 1 too, it was only $30.00 more, $79.00. I hate doing oil changes, I'm glad to pay for it"

I don't do em either. Too much of a hassle to get rid of the oil anymore. I knew anyone anymore that worked at a shop with a used oil heater that would be a different story, but seems like everytime I try and take some into one of the parts stores, they're always full and can't take anymore. Plus I can drive down to Valvoline, and in 10 minutes oil is changed, all fluids topped off, all lights checked, and it costs about $15 more that buying the stuff and doing it yourself. Not to mention the hour you have into it between going and buying the stuff, set up and clean up, I'm with you Paul, time is more precious to me than money.

Last Online
    December 23rd, 2023
    4x4
    2006 Jeep LJ
    User Name
    Java
    Real Name
    Paul
    Thanks Given

Got the Pro-4X skid plates and receiver hitch installed. All new 10.9 Stainless hardware, blue threadlocker. They're pretty good plates, good enough for what we have planned. The last pic is the front plate, turns out all the Xterras get one, so I have a spare. If they can stack I'm going to double them. The hitch is good for a tow point, rear skid and it adds an amount of safety. When Jeeps had exploding gas tanks in rear end collisions the fix was to add these. The one on my wrangler has had it's butt kicked coming down a lot of shelves, but my gas tank skid is pristine.

The radiator leak came back and Nissan put a new one in, along with a new computer that controls the A/C. This thing was in a front end collision with itself and a tree and was fixed by Autonation Nissan 104, certified and sold to me. Empire Nissan has gone through it for us and fixed everything under warranty, they've been great. AN104 replaced the bolt that holds the dipstick tube to the engine with a cable tie. That should tell you what to expect there. Empire rocks!

Next up is a shock upgrade and new tires.

Last Online
    December 23rd, 2023
    4x4
    2006 Jeep LJ
    User Name
    Java
    Real Name
    Paul
    Thanks Given

Some small upgrades, a roof rack basket is coming and we improved our tools. New CLC tool roll and small zipper bags, and a new tire repair kit to replace the cheapy. New tools too, a mix of Harbor Freight and Home Depot. I didn't like the screwdrivers or vice grips at HF, but the wrenches were pretty nice and complete from 8mm to 25mm, and a hammer looked serviceable. I added sockets 10-19 plus and extension and 3/8 ratchet. Some other misc. tools and I think we can handle most things. The plastic box is a trick I learned on an Xterra forum; under the rear seat, when you flip the seat part up to fold down the back, there is a gap under the cushion that when closed up again into normal position can hold a 3.5" tall by about 6" wide box. This fits snug, hopefully it will be useful.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast