4x4
    Jeep Comanche
    User Name
    dscowell
    Real Name
    Dante
    Thanks Given

Default Some welding advice

A week ago I was finally able to lay down my first couple beads and was wanting some advice on what to work on. Don't be too harsh.

All of the Welding was done with a Lincoln 170 MIG welder. Can't remember the exact amps and wire speed everything was set at. I tried to keep the gun at a 30 degree angle to the surface I was welding and made circles over lapping one another.

Sorry some of the photos are real small then some are real big I just got a new phone and are trying to get it all figured out.

Not perfect by any means but I think for my first couple beads they aren't half bad. What can I do to improve? I'll be doing some stick welding another day so what would you guys suggest for that if anything different?

Last Online
    June 26th, 2022
    4x4
    94' toyota PU, 89 yj
    User Name
    94ToyBear
    Real Name
    Adam
    Thanks Given

Default Re: Some welding advice

Pretty good for first welds ! Keep practicing!

3. The Following Member Says Thanks to 94ToyBear For This Post:

dscowell (June 22nd, 2015)

Last Online
    February 22nd, 2016
    4x4
    1988 Toyota Pickup Crawler and 1988 Toyota 4runner
    User Name
    Haku
    Real Name
    Josh
    Thanks Given

Not bad for your first ones with no experienced welder looking over you. They aren't the prettiest welds ever, but its a good start.

Its really hard to give input without watching you weld. The ones that look built up like a pillow are either way to fast with your wire speed, you are traveling too slow, or you don't have the power high enough (or a combination of those).

For many of the others, they just lack consistent movement but look like good welds. Not sure if you've ever done music, but counting in your head or tapping your feet help keep it uniform. My biggest advice to novice welders (from someone who puts himself at intermediate advanced level) is to slow down, and focus on just feeding the edge of the puddle. Most welders have a table on the inside of the flap that covers the weld wire and takes all of the guess work out of it. That said, it is just a guideline but works great as a starting point. If its not working for you, then adjust accordingly.

Lastly, 90% of a good weld starts with prep work and making sure you have the best seams you can get, with clean metal surfaces. Even mill scale on material can mess you up sometimes.

Honestly, taking even a beginner class at your local welding shop, trade school or college will get you a jumpstart on this. You can figure it out on your own, but it will take you MUCH longer then just attending a few hour long class. At the very least, try to find someone experienced to watch you do it and give pointers.

You have the gear and this is a good start. Its only up from here.

5. The Following Member Says Thanks to Haku For This Post:

Last Online
    August 28th, 2022
    4x4
    97 Dodge CTD, 85 4R, 89 YJ, 04 Kawasaki Mule
    User Name
    Brucker
    Real Name
    Aaron Brucker
    Thanks Given

Good on you for making an effort at learning a desired skill. First off, are you using CO2 as your inert gas? Or a CO@/Ar mix? Based on the amount of splatter and residue left behind I am going to guess, just CO2, but could be wrong and you just need to adjust your flow rate a little. Or lack of good prep as Josh mentioned.

Second, most beads look to be run to hot. Some too slow, and some both. Did you set the machine up based on the recommended settings for amperage and wire speed or guess and play with it? Without knowing your settings, I would say before turning the amperage down, I would trying moving faster. Just remember that you ultimately want nice tight beads. And 30 degrees (I usually teach 45 but again, only as a rule of thumb) is a great rule of thumb, but you can not always rely on it. Go with what feels comfortable for you while still achieving desirable welds

Also try welding in semi overlapping half moons or whatever you call them (some say half circles or "C"s, or in TIG welding this would be called "walking the cup"), instead of full circles. Start at the root and then work your way back and forth, only overlapping enough to make a clean, smooth bead, down the joint. This technique should help with the speed issue and also help you control your puddles betters, which will give you cleaner, tighter beads in general.

Hope that this helps.

7. The Following Member Says Thanks to Brucker For This Post:

Last Online
    February 22nd, 2016
    4x4
    User Name
    Haku
    Real Name
    Josh
    Thanks Given

My guess was he was using Flux core wire. Could be wrong though.

Last Online
    June 26th, 2022
    4x4
    94' toyota PU, 89 yj
    User Name
    94ToyBear
    Real Name
    Adam
    Thanks Given

I'm thinking flux too. You can see the wire brush marks, but I can be wrong also.

Last Online
    June 26th, 2022
    4x4
    94' toyota PU, 89 yj
    User Name
    94ToyBear
    Real Name
    Adam
    Thanks Given

If you have no experience what so ever I say see who you do with a stitch weld, to get use to aiming, heat and wire feed adjustments. Stitch welding is not ideal but IMO is a good place to start if you don't have anyone experienced to help you along

Last Online
    August 28th, 2022
    4x4
    User Name
    Brucker
    Real Name
    Aaron Brucker
    Thanks Given

Haku previously posted:
    "My guess was he was using Flux core wire. Could be wrong though."

94ToyBear previously posted:
    "I'm thinking flux too. You can see the wire brush marks, but I can be wrong also."

I would have guessed that as well but he stated that he was using a MIG (metal inert gas) welder, not a MIG setup to run as a flux core welder. So I gave the advice as such. Maybe the OP mistyped or didn't understand the difference.

Last Online
    August 28th, 2022
    4x4
    User Name
    Brucker
    Real Name
    Aaron Brucker
    Thanks Given

94ToyBear previously posted:
    "If you have no experience what so ever I say see who you do with a stitch weld, to get use to aiming, heat and wire feed adjustments. Stitch welding is not ideal but IMO is a good place to start if you don't have anyone experienced to help you along"

I honestly wouldn't. Learn to weld with correct and proper techniques and forms before starting down that path. Unless "stitch" welding is actually done properly, it could result in beads that may resemble decent forms but in all actuality be very brittle and lead to early fatigue. I really only ever "stitch" weld when doing some body work or light gauge sheet metal work, if I for some reason am not using the TIG. It is also pretty hard on the machines, even if they have a special setting just for that technique. Think what stop and go traffic can do to an engine.

Last Online
    February 22nd, 2016
    4x4
    User Name
    Haku
    Real Name
    Josh
    Thanks Given

Brucker previously posted:
    "I would have guessed that as well but he stated that he was using a MIG (metal inert gas) welder, not a MIG setup to run as a flux core welder. So I gave the advice as such. Maybe the OP mistyped or didn't understand the difference."

Fair enough. I guess I just figured that its common enough to just say MIG when its a gun with some wire coming out of it even though its not really correct.

If it is indeed with gas, I agree with Aaron's guess at straight CO2. That would be odd to me, as I would hope that most welding shops wouldn't advise someone buying their first welder to get that for their first bottle.

If you look at the "welding tips and tricks" Youtube channel he actually has some great videos about welding with straight CO2 and keeping the spatter to a minimum. There is one on there that even shows that it does a better job in some cases complete with cut and bent coupons that he etches to show the actual penetration compared to 75/25.

In general its hard to go wrong watching that Youtube channel when you are wanting a quick way to learn something new about welding.

Last Online
    February 22nd, 2016
    4x4
    User Name
    Haku
    Real Name
    Josh
    Thanks Given

"I honestly wouldn't. Learn to weld with correct and proper techniques and forms before starting down that path. Unless "stitch" welding is actually done properly, it could result in beads that may resemble decent forms but in all actuality be very brittle and lead to early fatigue. I really only ever "stitch" weld when doing some body work or light gauge sheet metal work, if I for some reason am not using the TIG. It is also pretty hard on the machines, even if they have a special setting just for that technique. Think what stop and go traffic can do to an engine."

I agree. I see the "stack of tack" style welding being taught fairly often and while I'm no seasoned welder, it still kind of drives me nuts since I've spoken to qualified and seasoned welders like yourself who warn against it. I remember a Youtube video for a fairly prominent fabrication trade school that posted on the OFN forum and they caught a lot of crap. They were using it on a roll cage or some other high strength application.

Last Online
    August 28th, 2022
    4x4
    User Name
    Brucker
    Real Name
    Aaron Brucker
    Thanks Given

Haku previously posted:
    "I agree. I see the "stack of tack" style welding being taught fairly often and while I'm no seasoned welder, it still kind of drives me nuts since I've spoken to qualified and seasoned welders like yourself who warn against it. I remember a Youtube video for a fairly prominent fabrication trade school that posted on the OFN forum and they caught a lot of crap. They were using it on a roll cage or some other high strength application."

There are a couple of shops that use that technique as it looks the best under powder coating. Heck, even Avalanche did back in the day. Some swear by it, but oddly enough, none of the welding instructors or inspectors I have ever met will recommend it.

Last Online
    December 3rd, 2023
    4x4
    1990 Cherokee
    User Name
    Hypoid
    Real Name
    Mike
    Thanks Given

dscowell previously posted:
    "I'll be doing some stick welding another day so what would you guys suggest for that if anything different?"

There is hope for you yet!

Once you master stick welding, you can master any other process... or so I have been told.

For starters, concentrate on the puddle. You want to keep it full and uniform as the weld progresses. You will see a spot dancing in the middle of the puddle, that is the contaminants that are being roiled out during the weld process. That roiling action is a good thing!

When you get to stick welding (SMAW):
    Just like any other process, look at your equipment for a chart that gives you settings for the material thickness and electrode size.
    Getting the arc started will take some practice. Some people like to "scratch" the electrode to get things started, others "tap and go."
    Once you get the arc started, position the electrode above the work about the same distance as the diameter of the electrode. When you get this right, you will see small spheres surrounding the rod as it burns. As the rod burns, the heat (amperage) can change slightly, depending on the machine in use. It is not unusual to feed the last half of the rod, faster than the first.
    When you get the amperage dialed in, the process will sound soupy, like bacon frying in a pan. If you have the Amperage set too low, you won't be able to keep the arc going. The weld deposits will stand tall, indicating poor penetration. If the Amperage is too high, the arc will start easily, and sound dry. As you continue welding, you will have to speed up your travel to keep from burning through the base material. The weld deposit will look flat, and "blown-out" at the finish of the weld.

In all of the time I spent ruminating on my response, this thread has taken a twist on the technical aspects of whatever process you may have used. A few posts have mentioned the puddle, one has mentioned Practice. With that in mind, I will share the basic tenets derived from a few of my mentors:
    Learn how to puddle, become one with the puddle, master the puddle.
    Practice! Practice! Practice!

After that, learning the next process is easy.

17. The Following Member Says Thanks to Hypoid For This Post:

Last Online
    June 26th, 2022
    4x4
    94' toyota PU, 89 yj
    User Name
    94ToyBear
    Real Name
    Adam
    Thanks Given

I do agree with Both Aaron and Josh, but I do still think is a good place to start for Aiming, heat adjustments, wire feed adjustments.

I say this because in my auto shop I have a student here and there that wants to just get their hands on a welder, being that I'm not the weld shop instructor I don't have time to teach one kid to weld. The stitch weld works great for a confidence booster, and Aim, Heat and feed are better understood by time I get back around to them (might be 5 minutes might be an hour)
    Then I move them on to a push pull, then the swirl type weld. Like I was saying, it's a good method if you don't have anyone to guide you along, and in IMHO it's better to start this way (if you have NO one watching over) in order to gain the confidance and prevent acquiring bad habits along the way for the much more difficult techniques

Last Online
    February 24th, 2019
    4x4
    Jeep Comanche
    User Name
    dscowell
    Real Name
    Dante
    Thanks Given

Thanks for all the advice guys I knew I would get some good help if I posted here.

Haku previously posted:
    "90% of a good weld starts with prep work and making sure you have the best seams you can get, with clean metal surfaces. Even mill scale on material can mess you up sometimes."

The prep work on the metal was not a first priority which I guess it should have but I am aware of how important the prep work before doing anything is I was just ready to get going. Next time I'll slow down and make sure I do correct prep work.

Haku previously posted:
    "taking even a beginner class at your local welding shop, trade school or college will get you a jumpstart on this"

I'm taking a welding class next year at school. Its required for my major, unfortunately they moved it to sophomore instead of freshman year.

"First off, are you using CO2 as your inert gas? Or a CO@/Ar mix? Based on the amount of splatter and residue left behind I am going to guess, just CO2, but could be wrong and you just need to adjust your flow rate a little. Or lack of good prep as Josh mentioned."

I was using a CO2/Ar mix.

"Did you set the machine up based on the recommended settings for amperage and wire speed or guess and play with it?"

It was set up to the setting. The friend I was welding with and I played with it a little bit. I think if we really did anything major it was slow the wire speed down some.

And it was MIG welding not flux core I know that for sure. I didn't set up the machine so I'm not sure what the gas mix was I'm assuming 75/25. I do know it was not just CO2, there was Ar in the mix. As for the wire I am not sure either. It's not my machine nor did I set it up so I'm assuming everything was set up correctly. I think what was mentioned earlier the lack of prep work led to the extra splatter since not much prep work was taken.

Last Online
    June 26th, 2022
    4x4
    94' toyota PU, 89 yj
    User Name
    94ToyBear
    Real Name
    Adam
    Thanks Given

Where are you going to school?
    If I remember correctly you went to Warn Tech for high school right?

Last Online
    February 24th, 2019
    4x4
    Jeep Comanche
    User Name
    dscowell
    Real Name
    Dante
    Thanks Given

No I went to Holy Family. I'm going to Montana Tech to study Welding Engineering and figured it would be best to have atleast some experience since all the kids in the major with me are farm kids who have a lot more experience welding then I do.

Last Online
    July 7th, 2023
    4x4
    2017 JKUR Recon
    User Name
    dieseldoc
    Real Name
    Brandon
    Thanks Given

Start with stitching. It will let you get used to the weld
    Clean all surface
    as for wire if it look like copper you need gas.
    If its silver its flux core.
    then you have some things to check with the machine its self.
    flux core is poitive at the gun
    soild (gas) is negative at the gun

As for but welds they need a small gap to allow the weld to penitrate
    next look at the heat pattern after you weld.
    did the metal turn blue?
    This will tell you if you moved to fast or not enough heat.

For practice just lay the bead on a flat chunk.

Are you pushing or pulling the puddle....is the weld behind the gun under your hand as you weld away from you.

The variable are very numerous.

They do look good for your first time with no one with you.

23. The Following Member Says Thanks to dieseldoc For This Post:

Last Online
    February 24th, 2019
    4x4
    Jeep Comanche
    User Name
    dscowell
    Real Name
    Dante
    Thanks Given

Alright it was MIG not flux core. We used shielding gas and it was a copper wire.

I forgot to mention that but I was pulling the puddle the whole time and never really attempted to push it. I wanted to get the hang of things before I started changing too many things.

Last Online
    September 7th, 2017
    4x4
    1975 Bronco Denver Edition
    User Name
    EKXJ87
    Real Name
    Steve
    Thanks Given

Looks good for your first welds All great advice clean,clean,clean and also listen to the weld when you have the speed/amperage correct theres not a better sound its a smooth burn. Once you hear that then practice and practice.

26. The Following Member Says Thanks to EKXJ87 For This Post:

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast