4x4
    89 4runner
    User Name
    DoctorDuke
    Real Name
    Duke
    Thanks Given

Default 1989 4Runner - 1uz V8 build

Alright. Finally getting things together and ready to start an actual build thread.

Quick background on me - long time Toyota fan and 4runner enthusiast. I've had a lot of trucks and 4runners over the years, but settled down a while back to start a practice and family. I'm mostly looking forward to taking my girls out on easy to moderate trails from here to Moab. Safety and reliability are strange new concepts for be on a build, but it is a must now so I'll be taking those into consideration more.

I had a been talking about looking for some sort of project car or truck for a while and warned my wife that if something falls in my lap I'd get it. As much as I love the 4runner, especially 1st generations they are getting harder and harder to find at decent prices and conditions unfortunately.

Walking over to the local king supers I hear the distinct sound of an exhaust leak and the sweet smell of a bad head gasket as this beauty pull up.

The perfect mix of junk and potential. I strike up a conversation with the kid about it and get to talking about the obvious and not so obvious issues - him and his brother just got it running again after it sat a couple of years with his suspended license - blah blah blah.

I make a stupid low ball offer to take it of his hands as is so he doesn't have to bother fixing things.

So it made it back to my garage that afternoon. It ran really well technically, but without any power. The fluids where all fresh, like that morning replaced - so they looked good. Exhaust leak could have been doing it, possible the transmission solenoids where stuck or bad, suspected a little head-gasket leak based on the smell, but not bad enough to smoke or mix the fresh fluids.

Did a quick tune getting idle and timing back together with some new plugs as the others looked original and it ran beautifully smooth... with no power. Compression test was an even 100psi dry and 120 wet across all 4 - which is odd to be to be that low on all 4. Probably the head gasket. It's always the head gasket on these things.

Dang it.... The head gasket looks... new.. dun dun dun.. Well.. must be the timing chain guide broke and rubbed through the timing cover.... Nope. Those cylinder walls look pretty shiny... Guess it is rebuild time.

And that's where trouble began. Things where not looking right from that point on. Missing bolts inside the cover. RTV everywhere... no gaskets at all, just RTV on everything globed and gooey everywhere. The oil drained and came out in stages, clean, dirty, coolant. Coolant came out Green, Red, Milkshake. Timing chain and guide was in good shape - the cover has be welded up after the previous chain wore through. It was done badly and not even ground down, let alone machined flat. I'm not giving up that easy, a 22re rebuild is fun and just another opportunity to buy new parts and do it right.

Every piston had broken rings. Right down the middle. Never seen it before - but the non-broken ones looked good... they looked... new. Clean the carbon build up off the piston and they are stamped 0.5mm This block was already rebuilt and bored 0.02" over.

This poor little 22re block has seen it's last mile. It was abused and rebuilt bad. I'm sure it was a good little engine back in the 90s. I'm sure the passage ways are clogged with rtv and the damage to the block from those broken rings - well I wasn't even going to bother having a machinist look.

So I started looking for a new block because I already had my head in the 22re cloud and ordered a few parts anticipating a simple rebuild. I made a post looking for a review of a shop in Colorado Springs and DieselDoc made the recommendation to go JDM and suggested something like the inline six 7m-ge - and it was a bit of an epiphany. This is natures way of telling me this build needs to be more.

The 7m-ge is an awesome little motor, and the 3rz sounded tempting for a powerful little 4cycl.

But then like a ray of light from heaven the divine wheeler brought me the answer. 1uz-fe

So I found and bought this guy last week.

Well, not that one. The one i got was stuck between a bunch of other wrecked cars so I couldn't get a picture but it looks the same and isn't a salvage.

So now I just need to do everything else.

I'm starting with parting out the sc400 and some leftover 22re goodies.
    Moving onto building a custom wiring harness.
    Pull the engine and do normal tune up gasket like things.
    Need to convert the a430e lexus trans to a a430f at least to keep the chain drive transfer case
    Maybe go with an aw4 jeep tail housing and a dana 300 xcase or atlas to get better gearing later.
    engine mounts and cross member
    radiator and fan (sc400 hydro fan won't fit)
    most likely do the solid axle at the same time to help fit the beast in there. (i've heard a front sump and pan from the ls400 will work with ifs but i'll do the sas eventually anyway)
    exhaust (sc400 has 2 cats and 4 mufflers 4 o2 sensors)

I hope to keep an actual build thread going here. I've been notoriously bad about it in the past.

Last Online
    3 Days Ago
    4x4
    4Runner
    User Name
    Chris
    Real Name
    Chris
    Thanks Given

Default Re: 1989 4Runner - 1uz V8 build

Nice project Doc, should we expect seeing you on a run in the couple weeks?

Last Online
    December 27th, 2016
    4x4
    89 4runner
    User Name
    DoctorDuke
    Real Name
    Duke
    Thanks Given

Chris previously posted:
    "Nice project Doc, should we expect seeing you on a run in the couple weeks? "

Afraid not.. I have to clean the garage to make room so it will take at least three weeks.

I'd love to have it on the road by the end of the year, but it really depends on how much time and money the wife lets me get away with spending on it.

Last Online
    August 28th, 2022
    4x4
    97 Dodge CTD, 85 4R, 89 YJ, 04 Kawasaki Mule
    User Name
    Brucker
    Real Name
    Aaron Brucker
    Thanks Given

Right awn! A very familiar build! I happen to have a low mileage SC400 sitting in my lot waiting for me to use it as a donor. The fully dressed all aluminum V8 motor being something like only 30 pounds heavier (26-28 I believe) than the stock cast iron 22RE and puts out almost 2.5 times the HP and torque. Gotta love those numbers.

I will be interested to see what you end up running for the trans and tcase. The stock auto sucks up so much power. SO swapping to the 5 speed kinda seems like a decent option since it isn't a buggy. Then the Tcase options can be interesting too. Do you spend the money and just run the Atlas and call it good with a single Toy case. Or swap in n older set of toy cases for a doubler. I can make up my mind so I am interested to see which route you take.

Good luck with the build!

Last Online
    April 6th, 2019
    4x4
    Toyota/Scout/Nissan
    User Name
    Patrolman
    Real Name
    Jeff
    Thanks Given

Should be a nice build! It is on my personal to-do list eventually. Personally I opted to go with the 3rz option for my 86 truck. Your 4Runner will certainly run away from my truck.

Last Online
    December 27th, 2016
    4x4
    89 4runner
    User Name
    DoctorDuke
    Real Name
    Duke
    Thanks Given

Right now the plan is to use a 1995-1997 t-100 auto tail housing extension housing and transfer case to make it easy and a little cheaper. Problem is I can't seem to find one easily, but maybe once I actually start hitting the yards myself it'll happen. It is my understanding they are are the only a340F with passenger side drop. All the other a340F are drivers side which isn't ideal with toy front axels, but I have a set of dana 44s available to me that are driver side diff, might make it easier to find. I could use any old a340F tail housing and an adapter and some other xcase, but then I could just use an aw4 jeep tail housing and dana 300 or atlas.

I'd like to keep the auto for sure. The inchworm adapter is too expensive in my opinion, as much as the 4runner and the sc400... Going 5spd looks like a pain and is even more expensive anyway.

I also wouldn't worry about losing too much power. The sc400 a340e is a world different from the 4runner's a430h - for being the same transmission. The gearing is better and low (although I can't recall off the top of my head, I know it is even lower than the a340e that is in the ls400). The tuner/drift community doing these swaps with forced induction and everything aren't complaining too much about it.

You are just down the street from me so you'll have to come up and check it out and we can help each other out. Heck, with your machine shop you might be able to make your own dang adapter for the transfer case.

Last Online
    December 27th, 2016
    4x4
    89 4runner
    User Name
    DoctorDuke
    Real Name
    Duke
    Thanks Given

Patrolman previously posted:
    " Your 4Runner will certainly run away from my truck."

I'm kind of hoping it will run away from a lot of cars and trucks.

Especially while it is stock looking. Talk about a sleeper - busted up rusty old 4runner smoking tires and pulling on modern sports cars.

The 3rz option is a good one. A lot harder to find and more expensive right now it seems. Seems like they where not as popular around here and/or salvage ones are getting picked up too quick.

Last Online
    August 28th, 2022
    4x4
    97 Dodge CTD, 85 4R, 89 YJ, 04 Kawasaki Mule
    User Name
    Brucker
    Real Name
    Aaron Brucker
    Thanks Given

DoctorDuke previously posted:
    "I also wouldn't worry about losing too much power. The sc400 a340e is a world different from the 4runner's a430h - for being the same transmission. The gearing is better and low (although I can't recall off the top of my head, I know it is even lower than the a340e that is in the ls400). The tuner/drift community doing these swaps with forced induction and everything aren't complaining too much about it. "

Most research I have found shows that swapping in a 5 speed is more common than keeping the auto. Though most of the information I have been surfing through is from overseas. So maybe that's is the difference. The Aussies have been using this motor in swaps for a while now, and there is some good stuff out there for them down there.

Stock the 1UZ-FE only puts out 250 HP and about 250 ftlb's. And the A340E is supposed to suck up to something stupid like 25% of the power. And while that sure beats the old 22RE's, it is nothing as compared with a V8 from today. Hence why I would probably swap in a manual. But I am probably going to end up using it in a small, lightweight buggy, and my preference is for an auto while driving a tube chassis. I already have a swap kit sitting on the shelf, as I had purchased it long before I ever dreamed of getting my CNC gantry mill and plasma table up and running. Once that is in play, a whole new world of options opens up though...

Another route I am considering is adding a turbo, maybe even compounds. Some people have been making great amounts of reliable power out of stock 1UZ motors by just adding a little boost. They then just add in a programmable piggy back system, then dyno tune it. And man, wouldn't that be a kick in the pants?!?!!?!

Ok, I am done highjacking your thread. Looking forward to progress on this project. Good luck!

Last Online
    December 27th, 2016
    4x4
    89 4runner
    User Name
    DoctorDuke
    Real Name
    Duke
    Thanks Given

Brucker previously posted:
    "Most research I have found shows that swapping in a 5 speed is more common than keeping the auto.

Stock the 1UZ-FE only puts out 250 HP and about 250 ftlb's. And the A340E is supposed to suck up to something stupid like 25% of the power. And while that sure beats the old 22RE's, it is nothing as compared with a V8 from today.

Ok, I am done highjacking your thread. Looking forward to progress on this project. Good luck!"

No worries about highjacking - I'm hoping doing a build thread will help me organize my thoughts and plans better. You've already have me re-considering transmission options. There does seem to be a lot of manual swap threads - but I find a lot more of them are incomplete, abandoned, or so old photos, charts, links no longer work .

I could only find two T100 automatic transmissions & transfer cases in Colorado right now. I'm think the aw4 tail hosing and dana 300 might be the way to go now, should be a lot easier to find and gives more build options down the road.

I still think auto is the way to go. I've heard about the drive train loss, but 25% sounds way too high. I don't know, but I don't think I've seen any direct dyno comparisons. Autos are usually have more loss than manual, but for shift efficiency and timing they make up for it. Especially for a rig like I'm hoping to build. I think it would be easier and cheaper to make up the HP difference with a megasquirt setup and tuning.

Also - I have to keep remembering this is all relative to the old 22re I'm used to having in these trucks. - so I should stop thinking and worrying about the horse power anyway.

Right now I need to really focus on getting it running again and get it tuned up a bit before pulling it and do the gaskets and belts. I also really need to get it parted out so I can get the cash for the rest of build's big ticket items.

Last Online
    June 13th, 2018
    4x4
    05 Land Rover LR3, 01 Discovery
    User Name
    Brad
    Real Name
    Brad
    Thanks Given

Sounds like a amazing build! Looking forward to more posts! And of course pictures!

Last Online
    December 23rd, 2023
    4x4
    2006 Jeep LJ
    User Name
    Java
    Real Name
    Paul
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,788 Times in 1,261 Posts

just a thought, what about a non-ECM 700r4 and an NP231C?

Last Online
    July 7th, 2023
    4x4
    2017 JKUR Recon
    User Name
    dieseldoc
    Real Name
    Brandon
    Thanks Given

multi scuff might still have the d300 he picked up in the sprimg. hit him up about it.
    I hear the wire harness is the hard part.
    that and a rear sump for the solid axle swap.
    I know where a kit is that dude might let go for cheep....if he didnt return it.
    the d44 swap is not to bad depending on what set ypu get.
    the wider stuff looks realy silly under a yota they are just to wide.
    stak out of texas hascyou t-case if you cant find a local iron one.
    they build a replace a case aluminum and both side drop options....heard they got bought out a few months back but not sure...
    some place here in town has toy axles by the hundred.....I like the fj80 stuff for the strenght and full float rear.

keep us posted an pic pic pic lots

Last Online
    December 27th, 2016
    4x4
    89 4runner
    User Name
    DoctorDuke
    Real Name
    Duke
    Thanks Given

Paul previously posted:
    "just a thought, what about a non-ECM 700r4 and an NP231C?"

It could be possible with the 700r4 or a TH400 - but It would need a custom torque converter. I can make the converter plate pretty easily, but the torque converter I don't know looking around that could bring the total up pretty high with a rebuild kit and all the other stuff - but it would be a pretty bullet proof option. I've always been a pretty big Toyota fan so I doubt I'd go that way. I mean, at that point I might as well have gotten an LS motor

Last Online
    December 27th, 2016
    4x4
    89 4runner
    User Name
    DoctorDuke
    Real Name
    Duke
    Thanks Given

dieseldoc previously posted:
    "I hear the wire harness is the hard part.
    that and a rear sump for the solid axle swap.
    I know where a kit is that dude might let go for cheep....if he didnt return it.
    some place here in town has toy axles by the hundred.....I like the fj80 stuff for the strenght and full float rear.

keep us posted an pic pic pic lots"

I'm pretty comfortable with the wiring, these things are pretty simple. I've also got the entire harness to work with which is a billion times easier than the JDM engines with firewall cuts most of the foreign swaps deal and where you probably heard it was the hard part. The plan right now is to use all the factory sensors and bells and whistles along with the sc400 cluster - so I will not be doing to much to the harness anyway.

My donor car has the rear sump - which is good. But I haven't done the axle swap yet so I might do it during the swap. Looking at my rough mesurments I can can probably trim the pan a bit and make it work with a rear sump for IFS and axle...

I think I have a line on a toy axle and best part is it might be a straight up trade for some brake parts off the sc400. I think the D44 will be too wide and not worth the hassle.

Last Online
    December 27th, 2016
    4x4
    89 4runner
    User Name
    DoctorDuke
    Real Name
    Duke
    Thanks Given

Finally has some time to get out and play with the sc400 since I got it delivered last Saturday. Finally got it started up which was a huge relief since I bought on faith that the mileage was low and that it sounded like she wanted to start.
    I was prepared with my wiring diagrams and meters to dig into crank sensors and ignitors and relays and even ordered new capacitors to rebuild the ECU - based on common no start issues from the lexus forums. Luckily it was merely bad stereo wiring that was making a mess with a few of the fuses. They where using the ecu ign fuse to draw power for something in the radio harness that was hacked up and spliced to hell. - probably because most of the dash fuses where blown. Then the igniters where not bolted down and that is how they are grounded so a quick wire wheel to the mounts and a few bolts did the trick to that.

It didn't have to crank for more than a millisecond before catching and turning over. Oh, she sounds soooo sweet. revs so fast. Ran it for a while and make sure it wasn't leaking/smoking/missing etc. No CEL or warning lights. Tomorrow and this weekend I'll get into timing and compression and leak down just to make sure. I plan on doing starter, timing, water pumps, and gaskets when I pull it - but I want it running well before I swap so I can attribute any issues to the work done in the swap.

Couldn't really drive it around. Power steering isn't working and the junk yard wheels are so out of balance it feels like the car will shake itself apart. I might swap the wheels around and at lest match up the same size/rims really quick so I can trash it just a little bit before pulling it.

Something might be up with the transmission unfortunately - from a stop on level ground you could feel it wanting to pull hard with the brakes and after you let up. Stopping on an incline it would roll back words - it wouldn't hold in drive after applying the brakes until you blipped the throttle - it would hold if you messed with it a bit but full on brake and it would roll backwards again. Not sure what to make of that one yet...

On the plus side some tuner/drifter kids from down the street where are interested in buying the car after I pull the motor for kind of body swap to his rusted and trashed sc400. If he come through I'll be doubling my money on the car and have a free 1uz Might be too good to be true, might be meant to be.

I'll get some pictures and video started tomorrow !

Last Online
    June 26th, 2022
    4x4
    94' toyota PU, 89 yj
    User Name
    94ToyBear
    Real Name
    Adam
    Thanks Given

DoctorDuke previously posted:
    "I'm pretty comfortable with the wiring, these things are pretty simple. I've also got the entire harness to work with which is a billion times easier than the JDM engines with firewall cuts most of the foreign swaps deal and where you probably heard it was the hard part. The plan right now is to use all the factory sensors and bells and whistles along with the sc400 cluster - so I will not be doing to much to the harness anyway.

My donor car has the rear sump - which is good. But I haven't done the axle swap yet so I might do it during the swap. Looking at my rough mesurments I can can probably trim the pan a bit and make it work with a rear sump for IFS and axle...

I think I have a line on a toy axle and best part is it might be a straight up trade for some brake parts off the sc400. I think the D44 will be too wide and not worth the hassle."

If you go toy solid, I have a rebuild kit For sale.
    I'm pretty excited about your build! If you ever need a hand, and I'm free I don't mind helping you out.
    I'm out on summer break so I have a good amount of time off.

Last Online
    December 27th, 2016
    4x4
    89 4runner
    User Name
    DoctorDuke
    Real Name
    Duke
    Thanks Given

94ToyBear previously posted:
    "If you go toy solid, I have a rebuild kit For sale.
    I'm pretty excited about your build! If you ever need a hand, and I'm free I don't mind helping you out.
    I'm out on summer break so I have a good amount of time off."

Triple sweet. How much are you asking for the rebuild kit? I could probably use a hand when It comes time to pulling the engine - I'd like to get it out as quick as possible to get rid of the donor before the wife gets too upset. I miss summer breaks. I miss all the breaks lol. Enjoy that time and freedom while you can.

Last Online
    June 26th, 2022
    4x4
    94' toyota PU, 89 yj
    User Name
    94ToyBear
    Real Name
    Adam
    Thanks Given

https://www.trail-gear.com/TG/Knuckl...x#.VXkRUsvnbqA

They go for around 260 not including s+h
    I would go for 200 or so.
    Hopfully you find something that won't need a rebuild though.

Lucky I get a break every summer 😊 pm, your info and we can set something up. I'm in Denver btw.

Last Online
    July 7th, 2023
    4x4
    2017 JKUR Recon
    User Name
    dieseldoc
    Real Name
    Brandon
    Thanks Given

I would rebuild anyway. Better to pull it apart and inspect it before you go run it bard under a V8.
    The work is not that bard to do just a greasy mess.

Last Online
    December 27th, 2016
    4x4
    89 4runner
    User Name
    DoctorDuke
    Real Name
    Duke
    Thanks Given

No big updates - but I managed to trade some of the brake components off the sc400 for a Toyota front axle for my swap and sold the car for parts to kid that is into drifting for what I have into it so the budget on this thing in in the positive.

94ToyBear here can hopefully lend a hand some time and in the next week or two I'll have the motor pulled and ready for a re-fresh before the swap really begins.

Now I need to get serious about adding 220 out to the garage so I can go get my welding equipment back. I'm going to cut out the front clip completely and need to make motor and trans mounts at a minimum along with the exhaust... But I'll probably end up doing the solid axle swap at the same time now it looks like I have an axle.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast