User Name
    Jim
    Real Name
    Jim Williamson
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,092 Times in 752 Posts

Default Re: Donations

Patrolman previously posted:
    "Jim - would we like to consider quarterly or semi-annually? Annually might make for a big "bar" to reach. Just a thought."

Yes, I would.

Monthly is fine by me - it's not a hassle tending donations.

I am curious if yearly, with an e-mail notification to everyone, would show a more rounded donor pool. I'd give it a whirl at least once.

Aaron proposed yearly as, if I understand him correctly, it would 1) make the donation number seem larger and thus more people might step up to donate and 2) it would make it easier for him to remember a once-a-year donate.

I do see your view that the large number might scare people off. If the yearly test falls on its face we could simply take what was donated and have it cover x months and when those months are up we could go back to monthly or eval semi-annual or quarterly.

Bottom line, I'm not worried about us not coming up with donations to keep the lights on. I am open to suggestions for improvement. I would like to see a more rounded donor pool.

Last Online
    1 Hour Ago
    4x4
    4Runner
    User Name
    Chris
    Real Name
    Chris
    Thanks Given

My calculation shows each member would have to donate $3.13 to meet the annual fund drive. The way we have always done this takes individual finances into consideration. We all have times when finances are tight and we can all respect that.

However, if 30 people donated $25 it would be covered for the year. You guys can do the math so I vote in favor of giving it a try. Jim, sending that e-mail would make a big difference.

I haven't made a donation myself in a long time but having paid for the initial software and upgrades out of my pocket I thought that was reasonable. Now that quite a bit of time has passed I'll be happy to kick off an annual drive with $50 and welcome others to make a comittment of whatever they're comfortable with donating now as a gesture of support for Front Range 4x4.

3. The Following Member Says Thanks to Chris For This Post:

FINOCJ (June 13th, 2016)

Last Online
    3 Hours Ago
    4x4
    1990 Jeep Wrangler (YJ)
    User Name
    Jim
    Real Name
    Jim Williamson
    Thanks Given

As for an annual donation process, here we go!

Folks, from the prior discussion in this thread, we're going to try an annual donation process instead of the monthly donation process. The funds cover keeping this electronic forum online. From prior posts, there are two issues that might be resolved by an annual process: 1) getting more members involved and 2) make it easier for folks to remember when a donation was sent (Did I send one a few months back or not?) If annual, it can reduce those questions.

Shortly after posting this message, I'll visit the forum software to send an e-mail to all 235 active members. Donation goal will be 12 x $60 = $720. If every member wished to donate equally, the amount would be $3.06.

I will be curious as to how many first time donation members will decide to become involved.

Last Online
    3 Hours Ago
    4x4
    1990 Jeep Wrangler (YJ)
    User Name
    Jim
    Real Name
    Jim Williamson
    Thanks Given

The donation bar has been turned off. $395 as donated. This covers 6 months (July thru Dec) plus $35 into month seven (Jan). Of the 325 active members, twenty sent in a donation.

My thought is that "yearly" doesn't work as it could have. Let's try twice per year and see how that works. When this donation amount runs out, a six-month donation will be tried ($360 - $35 overage = $325). The next time the bar will be turned on would be early January.

Thanks - enjoy the trails with good friends!

Last Online
    19 Minutes Ago
    4x4
    99 TJ
    User Name
    newracer
    Real Name
    Michael
    Thanks Given

How many of the active 325 member actually singed on during the two week period?

ETA: based on my quick investigation anywhere from 43 to 58 members signed on during the donation period, so 47% to 34% of those members donated.

7. The Following Member Says Thanks to newracer For This Post:

Chris (August 2nd, 2016)

Last Online
    1 Day Ago
    4x4
    97 Dodge CTD, 85 Toy P/U, 89 YJ, 70 FJ40, 51 F1
    User Name
    Brucker
    Real Name
    Aaron Brucker
    Thanks Given

newracer previously posted:
    "How many of the active 325 member actually singed on during the two week period?

ETA: based on my quick investigation anywhere from 43 to 58 members signed on during the donation period, so 47% to 34% of those members donated."

Once again it's all about perspective

I personally think that being able to raise over 50% of the total needed in two weeks (two of the busiest "off internet" weeks during the year with all the vacations going on) is freaking awesome. And it's nice to hear almost half of the active members during that time were actually able to donate!

Last Online
    3 Hours Ago
    4x4
    1990 Jeep Wrangler (YJ)
    User Name
    Jim
    Real Name
    Jim Williamson
    Thanks Given

The donation bar has been turned off. Donations have trailed off and I didn't like seeing the bar up there "asking".

For those jumping in, Post 45 started a test at running a "yearly" donation drive in place of the monthly drive.

Yearly didn't meet the goal - we tried - we found out. We did not complete the goal for a year in the month I wished it to complete. It rolled into a second month (only 1/2 of it) - it still didn't. That's OK, it was a worthy test. Via monthly, we never had a concern for donations to keep the lights on. I could see twice per year (spring / fall perhaps) as the next option.

The amount collected amounted to $500. The goal was $720 ($60/Mo * 12).

There were 28 donations from 27 different people. Most were members with three "not logged in" donations arriving. The Max donation was $50 and the Min was $5. Average amount was $17.86. The number of active members on the board is 239 for about 8.85% of the membership donating. Again, donations are not mandatory - being involved with the group and getting out on the trail together - that is the only requirement.

The $500 equates to eight months ($480) which covers July 2016 through Feb 2017 with $20 rolling into March 2017. In March of 2017 we'll try the twice per year donation process ($360 goal in general but $340 goal for March). Overages always roll forward.

My thanks to all for keeping the lights on. Summer's still under our feet - let's enjoy some great trails before the snow closes the trails.

10. The Following Member Says Thanks to Jim For This Post:

carpenle (September 1st, 2016)

Last Online
    2 Weeks Ago
    4x4
    2016 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
    User Name
    JGRubicon
    Real Name
    Jason
    Thanks Given

Jim,

I don't always support every forum I visit, many are crawling with ads with paid subforums and all that.

I don't go on a lot of runs with you guys, but I've got to say you all are the best group of people I've had the pleasure of meeting on the web. I'm happy to support this forum and will gladly do so in the future. You're the best resource I've found for wheeling out here and in general. You all are often more knowledgeable than the folks on the vehicle specific forums I visit.

Thanks for being the group you are.

12. The Following 4 Members Say Thanks to JGRubicon For This Post:

Hypoid (April 5th, 2017),Jim (March 27th, 2017),Patrolman (April 5th, 2017),TJS86TOY (April 14th, 2017)

Last Online
    3 Hours Ago
    4x4
    2016 Toyota 4Runner Trail
    User Name
    The Gobbler
    Real Name
    Noah
    Thanks Given

Is there a way to set up automatic donations?

Last Online
    3 Hours Ago
    4x4
    1990 Jeep Wrangler (YJ)
    User Name
    Jim
    Real Name
    Jim Williamson
    Thanks Given

The Gobbler previously posted:
    "Is there a way to set up automatic donations?"

Yes. Donations are accepted via methods other than the "Donations Bar" which means you could have your bank send a paper check on a schedule. I believe you could schedule a PayPal payment as well.

The "How to contact the Admin" thread has contact options (USPS mailing address & paypal address) if you wished to use one of those methods.
    http://www.frontrange4x4.com/forums/...read.php?23660

When a non-donations-bar donation arrives I manually adjust the donations bar to reflect the donation.

Last Online
    3 Hours Ago
    4x4
    1990 Jeep Wrangler (YJ)
    User Name
    Jim
    Real Name
    Jim Williamson
    Thanks Given

Donation bar is active for the second half of the season's push. $360 is the amount.

The web forum is paid for via donations. We do not have ads and we do not have paid "extras". Simple donations from folks who like what's offered. Most are members though non-members occasionally send a donation as well.

Last Online
    3 Hours Ago
    4x4
    1990 Jeep Wrangler (YJ)
    User Name
    Jim
    Real Name
    Jim Williamson
    Thanks Given

$445 of $360 received. Donations bar has been turned off.

The overage of $85 to roll forward to the spring donation run ($275 the amount for the spring). This closes out the donations bar for 2017.

Thanks to those to pitched in to keep the forum rolling. It's our electronic gathering spot / coordination spot for getting out to enjoy our grand area, together.

While we're seeing touches of snow on the high peaks - the season's still rolling along. If you can get out, enjoy it while we can!

edit: I pruned the thread to keep it short and of significance.

17. The Following 3 Members Say Thanks to Jim For This Post:

Brad (4 Weeks Ago),FINOCJ (4 Weeks Ago),RockyMtRebel (4 Weeks Ago)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12