4x4
    90 xj
    User Name
    Salsa91
    Real Name
    Sal
    Thanks Given

Default Death wobble?

Alright, so I'm new here and I'm hoping I can get some input. Bought the xj yesterday. The guy told me it has a wobble in it but never described how bad. When I test drove it I didn't feel it. I did however feel wandering. Didn't think much of it. When I drove it home, I hit a good sized pothole at about 35-45 mph. Holy wobble!!!! I've never experienced death wobble before but I've seen videos and heard stories about it. With that being said, I assume I have it. The jeep and steering wheel started shaking and ticking in a side to side motion uncontrollably. I had to hit the brakes and slow down to about twenty to get it to stop. Since the guy did kinda warn me about it, I can't be to upset that it happened.

But now now I want it fixed. So I took it to work today,(the wobble happened again this morning) and replaced all tie rod ends except for the one of the pitman arm(no one in town had it in stock at 4 pm). I drove it home and didn't feel the wobble but the wander is way greater now. I also didn't get it aligned but I kinda did the DIY alignment.

The guy told me in order to fix the wobble I needed to replace the tie rods and get adjustable lower control arms or long arm kit. I'm running 37's on (what he told me) 5.5 rustys with 2"cool spacers and 3" shackles. I see the jeep has an aftermarket track bar and adjustable uppers with some aftermarket lowers. I'm wanting to go down to 35's.

So how do I fix it, and/or what do you guys recommend? Thanks!

Last Online
    January 20th, 2015
    4x4
    2000 XJ
    User Name
    00ExJay
    Real Name
    Max
    Thanks Given

Default Re: Death wobble?

But in all honesty, tightness and a proper alignment is key. Make sure all parts of the suspension and steering are tight. Not just nuts and bolts, but all bushings and ball joints. make sure you align it properly, you dont have to get it done at a shop though. there are only two things you can really adjust: caster, via the control arms, and toe in. toe in usualy effects tracking or "wander". but make sure the suspension is solid, especially left to right as this affects steering. the track bar keeps the axle stable from left to right.

Last Online
    January 31st, 2015
    4x4
    90 xj
    User Name
    Salsa91
    Real Name
    Sal
    Thanks Given

I had it on the lift today and with the tires in the air I did the push/pull test on the ball joints and they seem pretty solid. However, on the side to side test(? pushing on the front and rear of one tire testing the tie rods) it seemed loose at first but a lot stiffer and solid after the new tie rod ends. With the wander, does that usually relate to the trac bar?

Last Online
    3 Hours Ago
    4x4
    Jeep Cherokee XJ
    User Name
    xaza
    Real Name
    Cliff
    Thanks Given

Once you have everything tight if you still have wobble you could be looking at a caster issue. I like this write up.
    http://www.kevinsoffroad.com/how-to-...-death-wobble/

Cesare Pavese

Last Online
    December 17th, 2018
    4x4
    06 TJ 6speed :D
    User Name
    MultiScuf
    Real Name
    Brandon
    Thanks Given

Salsa91 previously posted:
    "Alright, so I'm new here and I'm hoping I can get some input. Bought the xj yesterday. The guy told me it has a wobble in it but never described how bad. When I test drove it I didn't feel it. I did however feel wandering. Didn't think much of it. When I drove it home, I hit a good sized pothole at about 35-45 mph. Holy wobble!!!! I've never experienced death wobble before but I've seen videos and heard stories about it. With that being said, I assume I have it. The jeep and steering wheel started shaking and ticking in a side to side motion uncontrollably. I had to hit the brakes and slow down to about twenty to get it to stop. Since the guy did kinda warn me about it, I can't be to upset that it happened.

But now now I want it fixed. So I took it to work today,(the wobble happened again this morning) and replaced all tie rod ends except for the one of the pitman arm(no one in town had it in stock at 4 pm). I drove it home and didn't feel the wobble but the wander is way greater now. I also didn't get it aligned but I kinda did the DIY alignment.

The guy told me in order to fix the wobble I needed to replace the tie rods and get adjustable lower control arms or long arm kit. I'm running 37's on (what he told me) 5.5 rustys with 2"cool spacers and 3" shackles. I see the jeep has an aftermarket track bar and adjustable uppers with some aftermarket lowers. I'm wanting to go down to 35's.

So how do I fix it, and/or what do you guys recommend? Thanks!"

I am free tomorrow I had the death wobble an fix it quite easily. I am free anytime 3pm I live in littleton so feel free to bring by my place to take a,look

Last Online
    July 2nd, 2015
    4x4
    2013 White JKU
    User Name
    Myrtle Turtle
    Real Name
    Jill
    Thanks Given

You don't say whether or not it has an adjustable drag link to go with that track bar? You can look it up for pictures, but they should line up pretty well. Start with proper angles, good tie rod ends and ball joints and go back and do that DIY alignment with care and you should be good. On a new to me Jeep I would also check all the control arm bushings and loosen, then re-torque the arms with the Jeep on the ground. Since you didn't install them, I would also check the measurements on the adjustable arms.

Last Online
    January 31st, 2015
    4x4
    90 xj
    User Name
    Salsa91
    Real Name
    Sal
    Thanks Given

MultiScuf previously posted:
    "I am free tomorrow I had the death wobble an fix it quite easily. I am free anytime 3pm I live in littleton so feel free to bring by my place to take a,look"

Thanks. Do you have somewhere to work in since it'll probably be dark by the time I get to ya? With my job, I don't ever have a specific time as to when I would be off.

Last Online
    January 31st, 2015
    4x4
    90 xj
    User Name
    Salsa91
    Real Name
    Sal
    Thanks Given

Myrtle Turtle previously posted:
    "You don't say whether or not it has an adjustable drag link to go with that track bar? You can look it up for pictures, but they should line up pretty well. Start with proper angles, good tie rod ends and ball joints and go back and do that DIY alignment with care and you should be good. On a new to me Jeep I would also check all the control arm bushings and loosen, then re-torque the arms with the Jeep on the ground. Since you didn't install them, I would also check the measurements on the adjustable arms."

it has the stock drag link and non adjustable lowers. I'm looking into picking up some used 35's due to my 37's being shot

Last Online
    December 3rd, 2023
    4x4
    1990 Cherokee
    User Name
    Hypoid
    Real Name
    Mike
    Thanks Given

It would be nice to see some pictures of the tread wear, and steering geometry.

Last Online
    December 3rd, 2023
    4x4
    1990 Cherokee
    User Name
    Hypoid
    Real Name
    Mike
    Thanks Given

It would be nice to see some pictures of the tread wear, and steering geometry.

Salsa91 previously posted:
    "The guy told me in order to fix the wobble I needed to replace the tie rods and get adjustable lower control arms or long arm kit. I'm running 37's on (what he told me) 5.5 rustys with 2"cool spacers and 3" shackles. I see the jeep has an aftermarket track bar and adjustable uppers with some aftermarket lowers. I'm wanting to go down to 35's."

First, Rusty's has a bad reputation for quality control issues, among other problems. Any wear parts, including the control arm bushings, are suspect.

Second, the previous owner's recommendations suggest a shallow caster angle. A trip to the alignment rack will put actual numbers to the problem.

Third, get rid of that "stock" tie rod! A bud was telling me his steering "wanders" after putting 35's on the Jeep. When he drove to my house, I pointed to his stock tie rod, and fished a ZJ V-8 tie rod from my spare parts stash.

I could look it over for you, but you would have to drive to Golden.

Last Online
    April 14th, 2016
    User Name
    gm4x4lover
    Real Name
    Nicholas Boisvert
    Thanks Given

You need to get it on an alignment rack and see what all the specs are. Castor is a huge cause of dw. Caster isn't anything that can be fixed in a driveway or with a did alignment. If all your front end parts are tight this is where you need to look. Other common causes are worn track bars, steering stabilizers, shoddy tires, out of balance tires, to name a few.

Last Online
    13 Hours Ago
    4x4
    2012 Rock Ware Buggy & 2007 JKUR
    User Name
    newracer
    Real Name
    Michael
    Thanks Given

It can definitely be the track bar.

Last Online
    December 17th, 2018
    4x4
    User Name
    MultiScuf
    Real Name
    Brandon
    Thanks Given

Yea I got rhe space

Last Online
    October 9th, 2023
    4x4
    05 4Runner
    User Name
    jayson44
    Real Name
    Jay
    Thanks Given

Michael has the right answer...track bar is the biggest cause of DW. I have it every once in a while and I need to get under my Jeep and check the trackbar mounting holes. if they get ovaled out, you'll have DW. if the trackbar isn't tight, you'll have DW.

there's a nice writeup on Jeepforum in the TJ section about it. basically, the trackbar controls side-to-side axle placement and is SUPPOSED to keep the axle from moving side-to-side. however, if it's worn out, or not tight, or the mounting holds are ovaled, it will move side to side. when you hit a pothole, the trackbar shifts the axle to one side. then the springs pull it back, and then it goes back in the other direction...back and forth, back and forth, each time increasing the push/pull causing the crazy wobble/bounce effect.

I'm sure there's more physics to it, but that's basically it. I'd check the trackbar first before alignment and all that. my Jeep's alignment is on point, but if I hit a pothole around 35mph, I can get DW sometimes. gotta check that trackbar.

J.

Last Online
    December 17th, 2018
    4x4
    User Name
    MultiScuf
    Real Name
    Brandon
    Thanks Given

Did that help with your drive home? Or was it still really bad?

Last Online
    January 31st, 2015
    4x4
    90 xj
    User Name
    Salsa91
    Real Name
    Sal
    Thanks Given

Hypoid previously posted:
    "It would be nice to see some pictures of the tread wear, and steering geometry.

First, Rusty's has a bad reputation for quality control issues, among other problems. Any wear parts, including the control arm bushings, are suspect.

Second, the previous owner's recommendations suggest a shallow caster angle. A trip to the alignment rack will put actual numbers to the problem.

Third, get rid of that "stock" tie rod! A bud was telling me his steering "wanders" after putting 35's on the Jeep. When he drove to my house, I pointed to his stock tie rod, and fished a ZJ V-8 tie rod from my spare parts stash.

I could look it over for you, but you would have to drive to Golden."

I wish I could. The input has been great here! I was able to meetup with MultiScuf and got help from him and his friend. I was able to narrow it down. Now it's just a matter of being able to attain the parts and having time to do it as well as the money lol.

Im actually wanting to fix this so I can begin going on trips and meet ups to meet new people.

Last Online
    April 14th, 2016
    User Name
    gm4x4lover
    Real Name
    Nicholas Boisvert
    Thanks Given

What did you guys determine?

Last Online
    December 17th, 2018
    4x4
    User Name
    MultiScuf
    Real Name
    Brandon
    Thanks Given

Steering/Gear box - No Sway Bars - Out of alignment - The lift kit/set up was not balanced at all it has short arm kit when it need a long arm, the coil spacer and shackles are basically forcing the front axle to hug into the buddy. Also the tire are so shot we won't know the finally out come till he change to the way he likes but we figured a bunch core things. Otherwise Its great little rig. He just need to fix what the previous owner mistakes and it will be golden

Last Online
    June 26th, 2022
    4x4
    94' toyota PU, 89 yj
    User Name
    94ToyBear
    Real Name
    Adam
    Thanks Given

Unless I skipped in in someones reply I havve not seen any one mention anything about the steering stabilizer.
    I dont belive it will fix the issue but can defiantly help.
    I vote track bar to be the main issue.

Have you looked in the the stabilizer at all ?

Last Online
    June 26th, 2022
    4x4
    94' toyota PU, 89 yj
    User Name
    94ToyBear
    Real Name
    Adam
    Thanks Given

Lol. Im going to show my student's this
    00ExJay previously posted:
    "

But in all honesty, tightness and a proper alignment is key. Make sure all parts of the suspension and steering are tight. Not just nuts and bolts, but all bushings and ball joints. make sure you align it properly, you dont have to get it done at a shop though. there are only two things you can really adjust: caster, via the control arms, and toe in. toe in usualy effects tracking or "wander". but make sure the suspension is solid, especially left to right as this affects steering. the track bar keeps the axle stable from left to right."

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast