4x4
    sami buggy
    User Name
    redneck23ms
    Real Name
    alex
    Thanks Given

Default kelly flats 10-11-14

mike (newracer) and i ran kelly flats yesterday. once we got to the trailhead we locked in and mike aired down. i didn't bother airing down since i didn't have air and i only run about 18-20 lbs in the tires all the time anyways. this trail had been closed since the flash floods hit this area last september but it opened up a few weeks ago after the forest service had some repairs done. thankfully the only major repairs were done to the trailhead parking area. once on the trail right inside of the gate there is a nice steep rocky section but it didn't give either of us any problems. then a short trail section and we came to heart attack hill. it has a bypass trail around it but thats no fun. i have ran this trail twice before, once on a dirt bike and once in the jeep but both times i was riding solo so i never attempted heart attack hill. gave it a shot this time without any trouble. this section of the trail is pretty wide with alot of different lines. i went up the left hand side which is probably the easiest but still had some challenges. at the beginning there is a series of ruts to cross, here i got the left front tire a few feet in the air but crawled on thru and it laid back down. mike tried one of the harder lines first with no luck then he followed me up the left side. once at the top that was the end of the tough stuff for several miles. it is still a nice trail from here on out though. alot of bumpy trail which keeps you going slow though with a few rock climbs scattered along the trail. then the trail crosses onto a private gravel road for a mile or 2 until you get to the section called the chutes. once at the chutes we ran into a group of 5-6 jeeps from a club out of cheyenne wyoming. they were nice guys but were looking for a hacksaw to cut off the tailpipe from a jeep in their group that got smashed. we weren't any help. they stuck around for a little while to watch my first attempts at the chutes. once they moved out of the way i gave the chutes a try. at the bottom there was a section of rocks and my initial line just wasn't working, that is where my tire carrier broke off. i slid off of one rock and landed hard on another and that was enough to snap the trailer spindle that was used for the hinge. it does look like the spindle had been cracked for some time though. once we got the tire and broken carrier loaded back up and strapped down i changed my line and walked right up it. then there are a few steep rock climbs. one gave me some trouble as there was a rock at the top that kept hitting my front leaf spring. after a few backups i was able to get up far enough to miss it and get up. after that is another steep climb and you have to turn hard right once up it. that is where i smacked the bumper into a rock and bent it. then i was at the top and it was mikes turn. he pretty much walked the whole section pretty easily. he did get a little wheel stand at the top though. then he went back around and tried the harder right side up the chutes. no luck there so he backed down and went up the normal line again. after that the trail is pretty smooth with only a couple small rock sections. we ran most of this in 2wd at a pretty good pace. then we ended at the other end of the trail which also has a trailhead at a gravel road. here mike aired back up and we chatted a bit and then back to the pavement. here is a link to my pics. will probably add a few more later from my phone.
    http://s94.photobucket.com/user/redn...?sort=2&page=1

Last Online
    42 Minutes Ago
    4x4
    Jeep Cherokee XJ
    User Name
    xaza
    Real Name
    Cliff
    Thanks Given

Default Re: kelly flats 10-11-14

bummer about the spare tire carrier. This is a trail on my to do list, thanks for the pics and report.

Cesare Pavese

Last Online
    14 Hours Ago
    4x4
    2012 Rock Ware Buggy & 2007 JKUR
    User Name
    newracer
    Real Name
    Michael
    Thanks Given

It was a great day to be out on the trail.

Last Online
    1 Hour Ago
    4x4
    1990 Jeep Wrangler (YJ)
    User Name
    Jim
    Real Name
    Jim Williamson
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 3,008 Times in 2,005 Posts

Nice. The Chutes seem easier than they look in person.

Last Online
    May 13th, 2019
    4x4
    '92 Range Rover
    User Name
    Funrover
    Real Name
    Aaron
    Thanks Given

Way to go!

Last Online
    March 24th, 2016
    4x4
    2001 Jeep Wrangler (TJ)
    User Name
    JFjeld
    Real Name
    Jason
    Thanks Given

I ran this a few weeks ago and have some pics posted on a thread here somewhere. I, too, ended up doing the left side of Heart Attack Hill since it was my first run. Still a little sketchy, as far as I'm concerned. The Chutes were a nice obstacle to end with. Looks like you had a great day; thanks for the report.

Last Online
    14 Hours Ago
    4x4
    2012 Rock Ware Buggy & 2007 JKUR
    User Name
    newracer
    Real Name
    Michael
    Thanks Given

There was a tree blocking the trail towards the west end. It would have required a chainsaw to move it. A guy in my club, my sons, and I went up yesterday and it is now moved out of the way.