4x4
    1999 Jeep Cherokee XJ
    User Name
    2Buku
    Real Name
    Jesse
    Thanks Given

Default Adjustable ball joints

I recently had my ball joints replaced and I was going to purchase the adjustable kind so that I could have my caster set independent of the pinion angle i set with the upper control arms.
    The guy at the parts store told me not to use the adjustable ball joints on my lifted 99 xj, so I purchased the typical heavy duty ball joints instead.

I spent most of my day today trying to set my front pinion angle to stop some vibrations I have been having but still keep a decent caster angle for drive ability. Now I wish I would have gotten the adjustable ball joints so that I could set my pinion angle where i wanted it and then set the caster to where I wanted it.

Does anyone else see any reason not to run adjustable ball joints? I was wondering if they can come out of adjustment on the trail or something.

Last Online
    January 2nd, 2019
    4x4
    TJ
    User Name
    GPP33
    Real Name
    Pete
    Thanks Given

Default Re: Adjustable ball joints

I run offset ball joints and haven't had a problem with them, they aren't adjustable though so I can't speak to those.

Last Online
    April 14th, 2016
    User Name
    gm4x4lover
    Real Name
    Nicholas Boisvert
    Thanks Given

They are junk and unless you had an alignment machine sitting in front of you, you wouldn't be able to install them anyways. Putting adjustable's in is just covering up another issue and doesn't address that issue.

Last Online
    December 22nd, 2015
    4x4
    1999 Jeep Cherokee XJ
    User Name
    2Buku
    Real Name
    Jesse
    Thanks Given

gm4x4lover previously posted:
    "They are junk and unless you had an alignment machine sitting in front of you, you wouldn't be able to install them anyways. Putting adjustable's in is just covering up another issue and doesn't address that issue."

The only issue I think is that Jeep left us with no way to adjust caster angles, unless of course you have adjustable upper control arms. Everything on the front of my jeep is brand new and mostly upgraded parts with the exception of the differential which is getting rebuilt in two weeks.

I'm ok with taking it to the shop to get them installed along with an alignment, My only concern with adjustable ball joints is reliability as I have no experience with them.

Last Online
    April 14th, 2016
    User Name
    gm4x4lover
    Real Name
    Nicholas Boisvert
    Thanks Given

What are you trying to correct? Was caster low/high or was one side off? It's better to address the problem rather than band aid fix it. Some jeeps had cam bolts in the lower arm brackets others didnt. Also FYI lower adjustable control arms also adjust caster, not just the uppers.

Last Online
    December 3rd, 2023
    4x4
    1990 Cherokee
    User Name
    Hypoid
    Real Name
    Mike
    Thanks Given

2Buku previously posted:
    "The only issue I think is that Jeep left us with no way to adjust caster angles"

This is not true. Anyone who tells you this does not deserve your hard-earned money.

So, this is a '99 XJ with a 4" lift. Is the front axle a low pinion, or a high pinion? I would not sink a dime into axle work, until I had a high pinion front axle.

Last Online
    July 14th, 2017
    4x4
    '97 FZJ80
    User Name
    RidgeRunner
    Real Name
    Dave
    Thanks Given

Hypoid previously posted:
    "So, this is a '99 XJ with a 4" lift. Is the front axle a low pinion, or a high pinion? I would not sink a dime into axle work, until I had a high pinion front axle."

A '99 should be a high pinion. I don't think they started with the low pinion until '00. There should be a happy medium between caster and pinion angle. I had no front drive line vibes on my '99 XJ with 5.5" lift. If you can't get rid of the vibes I'd recommend taking a closer look at the u-joints in your front driveshaft.

Last Online
    3 Hours Ago
    4x4
    Jeep Cherokee XJ
    User Name
    xaza
    Real Name
    Cliff
    Thanks Given

The adjustments made to the upper control arms are small in comparison to the adjustments made to the lower control arms. You will need adjustable lower control arms if you don't have them already. At 4" of lift you could run stock length uppers but the lowers need to be extended by about 1.5 inches. It doesn't matter about high/low pinion at your height. I am running 6.5" lift on low pinion front and rear axles and am able to get the pinion/caster angles shimmy free. I spent a ton of time last year chasing down wobbles and it is stressful, hope you get yours fixed quicker than I did. My wife wouldn't ride in my Jeep for a while and still won't drive it on the road. Here is the chart I use to get myself in the ballpark, post #4.
    http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/jeep-...m-lengths.html

Cesare Pavese

Last Online
    December 22nd, 2015
    4x4
    1999 Jeep Cherokee XJ
    User Name
    2Buku
    Real Name
    Jesse
    Thanks Given

Hypoid previously posted:
    "So, this is a '99 XJ with a 4" lift. Is the front axle a low pinion, or a high pinion? I would not sink a dime into axle work, until I had a high pinion front axle."

It's a 99 xj with a dana 30 high pinion front and 5.5 inch rubicon long arm lift.

Last Online
    December 22nd, 2015
    4x4
    1999 Jeep Cherokee XJ
    User Name
    2Buku
    Real Name
    Jesse
    Thanks Given

RidgeRunner previously posted:
    "There should be a happy medium between caster and pinion angle."

This is what i am trying to accomplish, I was hoping to just set my pinion angle to somewhere around 0 to 3 degrees of the angle the drive shaft is running (double cardan joint). Then set my caster to something closer to factory.

Looks like I will just have to find that happy medium.

All my u-joints even in front axle are brand new, rebuilt TCase and added teraflex SYE, replaced front hub assemblies and ball joints. Most of my vibes are gone now. I think the remainder of the vibes are in the rear. I got a 5.5" Rubicon long arm and used the 4 degree shim but there is still about 7 or 8 degrees difference in my rear pinion versus the rear drive shaft angle.

Last Online
    December 22nd, 2015
    4x4
    1999 Jeep Cherokee XJ
    User Name
    2Buku
    Real Name
    Jesse
    Thanks Given

Thanks Xaza..

I am running the 5.5" Rubicon long arm. I have replaced alot of the wore out drive line at this point. I think my current challenge is getting my pinion angles right along with caster.

I adjusted the upper arms over the weekend and it made a good dent in the vibes but i think i took too much caster out, my jeep seems to wander a bit more on the highway now. I think at this point it's a matter of adjusting some things to find that happy spot but I'll need an alignment machine to keep me out of trouble. I got a shop here in Denver area that can get it in shape.

Last Online
    December 22nd, 2015
    4x4
    1999 Jeep Cherokee XJ
    User Name
    2Buku
    Real Name
    Jesse
    Thanks Given

gm4x4lover previously posted:
    "What are you trying to correct?"

pinion angles and caster so that the drive line does not vibrate and I can still drive it on the highway.

Last Online
    April 14th, 2016
    User Name
    gm4x4lover
    Real Name
    Nicholas Boisvert
    Thanks Given

Aren't the re long arms adjustable? What were the alignment specs?

Last Online
    3 Hours Ago
    4x4
    Jeep Cherokee XJ
    User Name
    xaza
    Real Name
    Cliff
    Thanks Given

The long arms are adjustable, but the lowers don't effect caster. Sorry, didn't realize you had the long arm. I thought your truck looked pretty tall for a 4" lift. If you have not had it to the alignment shop since you got rid of the shimmies, that will make a difference. I would bet you are toed out slightly causing the wander, that is where my truck is stuck because the Rusty's steering doesn't adjust in enough to set toe correct. Do you have slop in the steering?

Cesare Pavese

Last Online
    February 22nd, 2016
    4x4
    1988 Toyota Pickup Crawler and 1988 Toyota 4runner
    User Name
    Haku
    Real Name
    Josh
    Thanks Given

xaza previously posted:
    "The long arms are adjustable, but the lowers don't effect caster. Sorry, didn't realize you had the long arm. I thought your truck looked pretty tall for a 4" lift. If you have not had it to the alignment shop since you got rid of the shimmies, that will make a difference. I would bet you are toed out slightly causing the wander, that is where my truck is stuck because the Rusty's steering doesn't adjust in enough to set toe correct. Do you have slop in the steering?"

The lowers DEFINITELY affect caster numbers. If you want more positive caster, lengthen them in comparison to the uppers and the opposite for negative caster.

If its really a big issue, you could always consider doing a cut and turn on the knuckles. Its not the easiest process and would require fab tools, but its something to consider if its really a problem.

It sounds like you are doing this in your driveway, so it might be worth putting it on an alignment rack if you want it perfect. The lifetime Alignment from Firestone seems expensive, but if you use it 3 times its worth it. You can literally take it in before and after every trail ride if you wanted just to make sure it all stayed correct.

Last Online
    July 14th, 2017
    4x4
    '97 FZJ80
    User Name
    RidgeRunner
    Real Name
    Dave
    Thanks Given

Haku previously posted:
    "The lowers DEFINITELY affect caster numbers"

In this case they don't. His long arm kit acts more like radius arms as only the lower links attach to the frame and the upper links attach to the lower links. Lower link length affects front-rear location of the axle, upper link length affects caster.

Last Online
    February 22nd, 2016
    4x4
    1988 Toyota Pickup Crawler and 1988 Toyota 4runner
    User Name
    Haku
    Real Name
    Josh
    Thanks Given

Interesting, when I heard "upper and lower link" my brain went to a 4 link setup and not a wristed radius arm setup. I stand corrected I guess. I suppose that is one way they do the long arm package. I could see how that would complicate things, especially as the caster changes through the travel cycle compared to a well set up 4 link system.

Last Online
    December 22nd, 2015
    4x4
    1999 Jeep Cherokee XJ
    User Name
    2Buku
    Real Name
    Jesse
    Thanks Given

xaza previously posted:
    "The long arms are adjustable, but the lowers don't effect caster. Sorry, didn't realize you had the long arm. I thought your truck looked pretty tall for a 4" lift. If you have not had it to the alignment shop since you got rid of the shimmies, that will make a difference. I would bet you are toed out slightly causing the wander, that is where my truck is stuck because the Rusty's steering doesn't adjust in enough to set toe correct. Do you have slop in the steering?"

No slop in the steering, I had a custom 1 ton'ish steering kit fabricated using heims joints from ruff stuff and my jeep steers like a go kart, it's very responsive.

Last Online
    December 22nd, 2015
    4x4
    1999 Jeep Cherokee XJ
    User Name
    2Buku
    Real Name
    Jesse
    Thanks Given

Haku previously posted:
    "The lifetime Alignment from Firestone seems expensive, but if you use it 3 times its worth it."

Just looked at the price on this and it's only $169! Totally worth it. But most of those shops want extra to work on a lifted truck.

There is a guy in Englewood that will do lifted 4x4's starting at $90

Last Online
    April 14th, 2016
    User Name
    gm4x4lover
    Real Name
    Nicholas Boisvert
    Thanks Given

Do you have the Ali specs from the last time it was aligned?

Josh he didn't specify which long arm kit he had. Not all long arms are radius arm style.

The lower arms in the radius arm style long arms can most definitely cause and adjust caster if they are not set to the same length.
    It's just a guessing game with out knowing what the numbers are or were before the have been tinkered with.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast