4x4
    1999 Explorer Sport
    User Name
    AccordRanger
    Real Name
    Shayne
    Thanks Given

Default Ford axle questions.

So I'm thinking I may go full width on the sploder. Getting tired of all the bs with the rack and pinion. It's on it's third one and wanders like crazy. Plus I have been wanting to sas it for years.

So I'm wanting full widths. What are good axles to look for in Fords? Dana 44 front and 60 rear? I would like full floats if possible. What would be easier to swap leaf spung or coil?
    Planning on keeping it basic not gonna go all fancy with coil overs.

Any info is appreciated so I can start looking when I go to yards.

Last Online
    December 28th, 2017
    4x4
    XJ
    User Name
    Serious Offroad
    Real Name
    Frank
    Thanks Given

Last Online
    February 22nd, 2016
    4x4
    1988 Toyota Pickup Crawler and 1988 Toyota 4runner
    User Name
    Haku
    Real Name
    Josh
    Thanks Given

Default Re: Ford axle questions.

It depends on how big you want to go tire wise honestly.

35's or maybe even 37's, go with the 44 and don't look back. There are probably other options in about the same size range.

If you want to go bigger or want something bombproof, then find a Dana 50/60 or similar.

I'm finding out that building up a Dana 44, or in my case Toyota stuff, isn't that much cheaper then building up a Dana 60. Its a bit more spendy, but stuff like Lockers, shafts, and high steer kits are all about the same price or just slightly higher for the 60 sized stuff. The main thing that would be more expensive is the donor axle itself, but since the Explorer is Driver drop you could probably find one out of a F250/350 or Dodge 1 ton for not too much money (in my experience the rare and expensive ones are the chevy ones with passenger drop).

Trade offs for Dana 60 is the larger differential that might catch on rocks a bit more, but most see it as a good trade to make for more strength.

I hear good things about the Ford 8.8's and how strong they are. I'd still probably try to get a matching set of axles so you don't have to worry about having two different lug patterns on the rig though. The Sterling 10.25/10.5 in the backs of Fords are super stout and would be a worthy upgrade too.

If its easy to go 40's with the body work, then at least IMHO, its worth going with 1 ton stuff to start out with. Not many people I have talked to really regret doing so, but you see a lot of guys upgrade after using 1/2 ton stuff.

Last Online
    February 12th, 2016
    4x4
    1999 Explorer Sport
    User Name
    AccordRanger
    Real Name
    Shayne
    Thanks Given

Haku previously posted:
    "It depends on how big you want to go tire wise honestly.

35's or maybe even 37's, go with the 44 and don't look back. There are probably other options in about the same size range.

If you want to go bigger or want something bombproof, then find a Dana 50/60 or similar.

I'm finding out that building up a Dana 44, or in my case Toyota stuff, isn't that much cheaper then building up a Dana 60. Its a bit more spendy, but stuff like Lockers, shafts, and high steer kits are all about the same price or just slightly higher for the 60 sized stuff. The main thing that would be more expensive is the donor axle itself, but since the Explorer is Driver drop you could probably find one out of a F250/350 or Dodge 1 ton for not too much money (in my experience the rare and expensive ones are the chevy ones with passenger drop).

Trade offs for Dana 60 is the larger differential that might catch on rocks a bit more, but most see it as a good trade to make for more strength.

I hear good things about the Ford 8.8's and how strong they are. I'd still probably try to get a matching set of axles so you don't have to worry about having two different lug patterns on the rig though. The Sterling 10.25/10.5 in the backs of Fords are super stout and would be a worthy upgrade too.

If its easy to go 40's with the body work, then at least IMHO, its worth going with 1 ton stuff to start out with. Not many people I have talked to really regret doing so, but you see a lot of guys upgrade after using 1/2 ton stuff."

planning on atleast 37's not sure yet may go bigger. What years of Fords should I look for to have the axles? What's in the 99-03 f250? I may have a guy I can buy some off.

Last Online
    December 28th, 2017
    4x4
    XJ
    User Name
    Serious Offroad
    Real Name
    Frank
    Thanks Given

Last Online
    February 28th, 2018
    4x4
    95' Bronco
    User Name
    Fordguy77
    Real Name
    Christopher
    Thanks Given

The 99 should have sterlings which are every bit as good as 60d just a bit harder to find parts for. I may have a set of hp Dana 44 and matching 9 up for sale in the next month or 2.

Last Online
    1 Day Ago
    4x4
    03 Ranger FX4
    User Name
    The StRanger
    Real Name
    Sam
    Thanks Given

Id say 35s are borderline. and, I think a lot depends on enginr size & HP..

Last Online
    April 14th, 2016
    User Name
    gm4x4lover
    Real Name
    Nicholas Boisvert
    Thanks Given

What ever you get make sure it has the vss sensor in the top.

Last Online
    February 22nd, 2016
    4x4
    User Name
    Haku
    Real Name
    Josh
    Thanks Given

AccordRanger previously posted:
    "planning on atleast 37's not sure yet may go bigger. What years of Fords should I look for to have the axles? What's in the 99-03 f250? I may have a guy I can buy some off."

Definitely have a look at the link that Serious Offroad posted, good info in there.

They started using the the Dana 1 ton axles and Sterling combo in the 70's, and I think its carried through pretty much all the way through. I know my 99 F250 has a Dana 50, but I'm told its nearly as strong as the 60 and not worth trying to upgrade. I also know they used a TTB axle in some of the 1 tons, which isn't the way to go IMHO.

The Ford stuff is by far and away the most commonly found 1 ton axle, so you should be able to find a pretty good deal on it.

37's and the heavy body of a Exploder seem like a good match to 1 ton axles. That is especially true if you might want to go with bigger tires. The Ford is a high pinion version, so it will have better clearance and driveline angles too.

I would try and find a set of OBS F-250/350 axles (pre-98 but still in the 90's), since they have the more common 8x6.5 lug pattern (compared to the stupid 8x170mm that the 99 and up have). Should be common in the yards and being parted out on Craigslist. That would allow you to use takeoff HMMWV wheels and tires, or any number of other 1 ton takeoff wheels from Chevy, Dodge, and the right year Fords.

Chances are, you would be fine with a regear and whatever locker you want to use with 37's. Compare that to really wanting to upgrade axle shafts or at least the ujoints in a Dana 44, and the extra cost of the 60 over the 44 doesn't seem so bad.

Last Online
    1 Day Ago
    4x4
    03 Ranger FX4
    User Name
    The StRanger
    Real Name
    Sam
    Thanks Given

If I recall, the D44 out of a cher or Grand Cher is the same WMS to WMS
    If ya wnwa go full you'll need one out of a 78/79 F150 or F250

Last Online
    February 22nd, 2016
    4x4
    User Name
    Haku
    Real Name
    Josh
    Thanks Given

Didn't see the question about the 99 F250.

My 99 has a Dana 50 front and Sterling 10.5 rear (comparable to a 14 bolt in strength). Doing the reading, any solid axle 99 and up will be either a Dana 50 or 60 in the front (I think it switched over in hte middle of 2000 or 2001), and they all have the Sterling in the rear. I can't say on anything before that since I've been focusing on the generation I own and Chevy stuff (since it matches to my Toyota). Plenty of info in that thread above, and the Dana 60 bible on Pirate4x4 too... http://www.billavista.com/tech/Artic...nt_Axle_Bible/

Last Online
    April 14th, 2016
    User Name
    gm4x4lover
    Real Name
    Nicholas Boisvert
    Thanks Given

The StRanger previously posted:
    "If I recall, the D44 out of a cher or Grand Cher is the same WMS to WMS
    If ya wnwa go full you'll need one out of a 78/79 F150 or F250"

The rear axle has to have the vss in the top. That is if he wants the trans to shift right and the speedo to work. I strongly suggest using a sterling 10.5 (8x6.5 bolt pattern) out of an f-250 in the rear. The front gives you some options but for price and simplicity I would run a 44 with the radius arms on it.

Last Online
    February 22nd, 2016
    4x4
    User Name
    Haku
    Real Name
    Josh
    Thanks Given

gm4x4lover previously posted:
    "The rear axle has to have the vss in the top. That is if he wants the trans to shift right and the speedo to work. I strongly suggest using a sterling 10.5 (8x6.5 bolt pattern) out of an f-250 in the rear. The front gives you some options but for price and simplicity I would run a 44 with the radius arms on it."

Seems a little silly run a Sterling 10.5 in the rear and not go 1 ton up front too. Not sure how leaf springs work up front, but if they are easy its definitely the most idiot proof. That radius arm idea would be a great option too and shouldn't be too hard to get figured out, especially if you find axles that have the mounts and arms that come with.

Last Online
    April 14th, 2016
    User Name
    gm4x4lover
    Real Name
    Nicholas Boisvert
    Thanks Given

Jeep guys can make 44 live for ever in front. An explorer would be similar, not alot of weight, not a ton of power, not super low range and tons and tons and tons of aftermarket support. Plus I dont think his goal would be humongous tires. Not to mention a 44 is incredibly cheap to buy and build compaired to a 60. I made a 10bolt front live for a really long time under a full size with 37's, super low gears, and a locker in the front I am sure an explorer wouldnt be any harder on it.

Last Online
    February 22nd, 2016
    4x4
    User Name
    Haku
    Real Name
    Josh
    Thanks Given

I guess so. I'm just finding that when you get to the point where you start upgrading a 44 for strength, you could have gotten the 60 for the same price and just ran it. He has already said he will use 37's and might go bigger if he can fit them. The explorer might not be huge, but t certainly isn't lightweight either at ~4000lb. curb weight. Add bigger tires, bumpers and all that other stuff we bring with us and you are getting to 5000 pretty easily.

I guess all I'm saying is if you can find a 1 ton axle for only a little bit more money, its worth it IMHO, especially if you are gonna go with the Sterling axle. To me, its the difference between having to worry about it whether it will break, and not having to do so. To get to that point with the 44, you'd have to run chromoly shafts and other strength upgrades, but the 1 ton should be just fine without that stuff. Lockers are similar in price, as are high steer kits and other small bits.

I'll see how it does, but I've been going through this worry with my Toyota stuff lately. If I had spent the money upgrading a 1 ton axle instead of going with my FJ80 axle setup, I'd be into it about the same but with a stronger setup that I can beat on without worrying about it. Initial cost of the donor axle is higher, but you don't have to spend money on the fancy stuff to get to the same strength.

Seems to me if he's gonna go Dana 44 in the front, might as well just stick with the Ford 8.8 instead of the Sterling. Its one thing if you rig already has the 44 under it, but if you are gonna buy an axle and spend money on it, you might as well go with the "end game" setup. A cursory look through Craigslist found a few examples of very expensive Ford Dana 60 stuff and the same for 44's, but overall it seemed that the 60 stuff was only slightly higher then the full width Dana44 stuff.

End of the day, its not my call I guess. I just think going stronger from the start has paid off for me in the past and not doing so has sent me down the more expensive path of having to upgrade two different axles at twice the price.

Last Online
    April 14th, 2016
    User Name
    gm4x4lover
    Real Name
    Nicholas Boisvert
    Thanks Given

I agree with you Josh. Build it once is cheaper than build it, break it, fix it, up grade it. The ford 60 stuff is the way to go, the dodge stuff isnt really that great. They have alot of the same issues as the jeep 30's. One of the reasons I saw that he wanted to swap in full withs was to ditch the ifs and rack and pinion. Which is smart. And there is really a big difference in game in running 37's as opposed to 40's. Either way id love to see the end result. Something different is always cool.

Last Online
    1 Day Ago
    4x4
    03 Ranger FX4
    User Name
    The StRanger
    Real Name
    Sam
    Thanks Given

X2 With nick & Josh. Id rather find a F250 to pull the matching axles & run them..