1988 Toyota Pickup Crawler and 1988 Toyota 4runner
    User Name
    Haku
    Real Name
    Josh
    Thanks Given

Default Re: 88 4runner 4x4 22re novice desert racer

Patrolman previously posted:
    "I have a couple shafts, but not a stock one for the 4Runner. I think that I have 1 Tacoma front, 1 Tacoma rear, and 1 87 front. For what a used one might cost you, you might consider going to Bill's and getting the stock one rebuilt. He will put in a thicker wall tube and make sure it can stand the punishment."

The last time I had this done it was around $100 or so and definitely worth every penny.

Last Online
    April 6th, 2019
    4x4
    Toyota/Scout/Nissan
    User Name
    Patrolman
    Real Name
    Jeff
    Thanks Given

Same here. I think it was in that price range.

Last Online
    June 26th, 2022
    4x4
    94' toyota PU, 89 yj
    User Name
    94ToyBear
    Real Name
    Adam
    Thanks Given

Just back from bill for another shaft....forgot to ask him hes got great prices !

Last Online
    February 22nd, 2016
    4x4
    User Name
    Haku
    Real Name
    Josh
    Thanks Given

So....saw you did the "test day" at CORE....do much else to this thing before you went?

Last Online
    June 26th, 2022
    4x4
    94' toyota PU, 89 yj
    User Name
    94ToyBear
    Real Name
    Adam
    Thanks Given

we ended up repairing the gas tank it at 2 holes from the junk yard. we did buy a used one but it ended up being to far gone. we replaced the Tires, rims, front rotors and pads, turned the rear drums clean and adjust as well. fuel filter, oil change, optima battery and strap some minor electrical, took the top off, gutted the insides with 2 seats left over, check oils and grease it all, rebuild the rear drive shaft. I have pics ill have to load them soon.

Last Online
    February 22nd, 2016
    4x4
    User Name
    Haku
    Real Name
    Josh
    Thanks Given

Oh cool....so pretty much just bringing it to a good working order but still relatively stock modification wise? That is pretty much where I am at with my 4runner too, though springs are worn out and will be getting replaced with 63" Chevy springs shortly (I recieved the stuff over the weekend...just need to bang it out).

I'm definitely curious to see if anything got stressed with all those jumps you were doing. I've talked to guys who beat the heck out of their Rock Crawler tube buggies doing all kinds of full throttle attacks on ledges and stuff, and they said it pales in comparison to hitting jumps and going through whoops at high speed. Big kudos to Toyota for making a strong setup if its still mostly intact.

Last Online
    June 26th, 2022
    4x4
    94' toyota PU, 89 yj
    User Name
    94ToyBear
    Real Name
    Adam
    Thanks Given

Haku previously posted:
    "Oh cool....so pretty much just bringing it to a good working order but still relatively stock modification wise? That is pretty much where I am at with my 4runner too, though springs are worn out and will be getting replaced with 63" Chevy springs shortly (I recieved the stuff over the weekend...just need to bang it out).

I'm definitely curious to see if anything got stressed with all those jumps you were doing. I've talked to guys who beat the heck out of their Rock Crawler tube buggies doing all kinds of full throttle attacks on ledges and stuff, and they said it pales in comparison to hitting jumps and going through whoops at high speed. Big kudos to Toyota for making a strong setup if its still mostly intact."

its all stock ! crazy huh !Im sure something is stressed but just cant see it with the naked eye. as far as driving it was totally fine at the end of the day, only thing that came lose was the passenger head light. I was actually planning on bringing it back on a stretcher that day but nope it held it own like champ to my surprise as well. next thing is to install the Beard Offroad racing seats we got on Sunday. on the look out for a set of 5 point harness and hopefully a cage

Last Online
    February 22nd, 2016
    4x4
    User Name
    Haku
    Real Name
    Josh
    Thanks Given

Other then limited travel, the two main weak points I've heard about with the IFS is the torsion bars twisting or breaking (or the splined "key" that attaches to the arms) and the steering idler arm bending and/or breaking and throwing the steering out of alignment. Sway Away torsion bars aren't too expensive (and could probably be found used for cheap if you looked in the right place) and there are braces and majorly upgraded replacements for the idler arm.

The steering box itself is quite strong if you beef the frame where it mounts up, but I think the steering crossover bar is also a weak link (at least, Total Chaos sells a beefy and expensive upgraded one so there must be a need). Otherwise, it seems like the Toyota arms are relatively strong and only REALLY need upgraded to increase travel and ride quality.

Honestly, if you are gonna be doing that stuff then its time to get a real roll cage. One small miscalculation and the rig goes tumbling and it won't just be the rig going out on a stretcher. Plus, I'm pretty sure that is a basic requirement for even the small racing series at CORE. $700 for a nice DOM cage from 4xinnovations is well worth it IMHO.

Last Online
    June 26th, 2022
    4x4
    94' toyota PU, 89 yj
    User Name
    94ToyBear
    Real Name
    Adam
    Thanks Given

Josh whats the deal on your ranger ? did you get it going ? id like to check it out some time !

Last Online
    June 26th, 2022
    4x4
    94' toyota PU, 89 yj
    User Name
    94ToyBear
    Real Name
    Adam
    Thanks Given

eventually id like to get away from the torsion bars and go coil over and long arms but don't want to spend a crap load of cash on thing im not sure of. id like to meet people who do this competitively and see what they did. the idler arm was a little lose from the start so im sure its even more. my 94 was that way. every time I took it wheeling (when it was stock IFS) I bent. finally said screw its in going solid. I know it wont last long this way and up grades will have to be made. but if we can get a summer and at least one race attempt out of it id be very happy to build it over the summer. no kidding about the cage I have no problem spend that about on a nice safe cage. even if I can make it for half the cost... still one of those thing you leave for the professionals.

Last Online
    February 22nd, 2016
    4x4
    User Name
    Haku
    Real Name
    Josh
    Thanks Given

94ToyBear previously posted:
    "Josh whats the deal on your ranger ? did you get it going ? id like to check it out some time !"

Not mine REALLY, but we have been working on it some. Spent a few days last week getting the steering remounted because it was kinda janky and the mounts had cracks in them. Like everything it snow balled to a point where we decided to replace the whole steering column assembly since everything looked worn.

Right now we are waiting on parts, but might do a few things this week while we wait. It is inside the Club Workshop at the moment, but we'll probably be driving it back outside again in the next day or so. I'm definitely gonna be there at least one day this week if you want to come have a look at it.

If you still want to help, there are some electrical things we have to figure out, we need to bleed the brakes again, and the power steering setup is woefully under powered so we need to figure out how to mount a bigger power steering pump to it. There a bunch of small odd jobs that are more "backburner" stuff too. I want to work on this a bunch too, but I also have my own projects so I get frustrated when I know I could be working on my own stuff instead sometimes. I can't complain too much though, as I brought it on myself.

Anyways, let me know if you have some time and want to come have a look. CWS is near 8th and I-25.

Last Online
    February 22nd, 2016
    4x4
    User Name
    Haku
    Real Name
    Josh
    Thanks Given

94ToyBear previously posted:
    "eventually id like to get away from the torsion bars and go coil over and long arms but don't want to spend a crap load of cash on thing im not sure of. id like to meet people who do this competitively and see what they did. the idler arm was a little lose from the start so im sure its even more. my 94 was that way. every time I took it wheeling (when it was stock IFS) I bent. finally said screw its in going solid. I know it wont last long this way and up grades will have to be made. but if we can get a summer and at least one race attempt out of it id be very happy to build it over the summer. no kidding about the cage I have no problem spend that about on a nice safe cage. even if I can make it for half the cost... still one of those thing you leave for the professionals."

Blazeland and others make a Idler arm brace that helps a ton with that happening. Other ones seem to be a bit more beefy and offer more support, but you can't beat the price of the Blazeland one...

Blazeland (WIY $29 Welded $39)

Blazeland also makes a Weld It Yourself (WIY) kit that extends the A-arms 3" and uses T100/Tundra CV's (like Total Chaos does) and claims to get 12" of travel out of the setup...

http://blazeland.us/la-weld-up/

What they'll look like done and cleaned up and painted

You can see it soaks up the bumps a bit better (though could use better shocks IMHO)

He sells this as a completed kit seen(no cutting/welding of the arms required...seen in the second lower picture above) and offers a kit to convert to coilovers too, but actually recommends to keep the Torsion bar and crank it back some to act as a dual rate/bump stop. I paid $250 for the WIY kit but he might have altered pricing since then. He wants $1150 for the bolt on kit that comes with brake lines and steering extension and such. You'd still have to find T100 CV's and longer shocks and such too. Still the cheapest way to get into a what seems like a well designed kit though. The Coilover mount kit is another $400, but seems relatively worth it. I don't think anyone has seriously used it in a race, but it seems to hold up to recreational messing about so I'm sure it could get through the CORE races.

Last Online
    June 26th, 2022
    4x4
    94' toyota PU, 89 yj
    User Name
    94ToyBear
    Real Name
    Adam
    Thanks Given

Haku previously posted:
    "
    Not mine REALLY, but we have been working on it some. Spent a few days last week getting the steering remounted because it was kinda janky and the mounts had cracks in them. Like everything it snow balled to a point where we decided to replace the whole steering column assembly since everything looked worn.

Right now we are waiting on parts, but might do a few things this week while we wait. It is inside the Club Workshop at the moment, but we'll probably be driving it back outside again in the next day or so. I'm definitely gonna be there at least one day this week if you want to come have a look at it.

If you still want to help, there are some electrical things we have to figure out, we need to bleed the brakes again, and the power steering setup is woefully under powered so we need to figure out how to mount a bigger power steering pump to it. There a bunch of small odd jobs that are more "backburner" stuff too. I want to work on this a bunch too, but I also have my own projects so I get frustrated when I know I could be working on my own stuff instead sometimes. I can't complain too much though, as I brought it on myself.

Anyways, let me know if you have some time and want to come have a look. CWS is near 8th and I-25."

that seems to be the hardest part of all this.....TIME. I don't have any to spare really other then to just hang out for a few and give my opinions. right now my Gym time is before work 6 a.m. for an hour and my lunch time is my work on a project time. after work im on daddy duty. Id still like to come by and just see something up close and maybe put my 2 cents in on something's. you club shop is a few mins from work and home. I have seen that kit before and seem like a good great idea for what we are doing. and later on down the road we can go with the pro stuff. id be more in to the weld kit but once more time ! who knows first I want to make it safe.

Last Online
    February 22nd, 2016
    4x4
    User Name
    Haku
    Real Name
    Josh
    Thanks Given

Yeah...that is pretty much my thinking too. After talking with even the smaller players in Baja and other large race series, I can't say I'm all that interested in spending as much money as it takes to do that sport. I'd be more likely to go do the stock or stock modified class in King of Hammers or something first for sure. My goal with my rig is to just go have some cheap and safe high speed fun that can still go do some trails. I'm around $3k into my 4runner so far, and hope to not go much more into it. Definitely less then $5k when it is all said and done with coilovers and a cage and such. I have my Crawler for anything more then that too. There are definitely days where I consider selling the 4runner too though, since its just one more project.

Anyways, enough about me in your build thread. I'll let you know when I am going to be at CWS this week. I might go tomorrow, but will definitely go in either Wednesday, Thursday or Friday if not all three.

Last Online
    April 14th, 2016
    User Name
    gm4x4lover
    Real Name
    Nicholas Boisvert
    Thanks Given

I missed this thread entirely. I am glad someone grabbed it. It would have pained me to crush the poor thing.

Last Online
    June 26th, 2022
    4x4
    94' toyota PU, 89 yj
    User Name
    94ToyBear
    Real Name
    Adam
    Thanks Given

gm4x4lover previously posted:
    "I missed this thread entirely. I am glad someone grabbed it. It would have pained me to crush the poor thing."

Us to ! Shes doing better then ever !

Last Online
    June 26th, 2022
    4x4
    94' toyota PU, 89 yj
    User Name
    94ToyBear
    Real Name
    Adam
    Thanks Given

Thanks to Josh I was able to find out what model my tube bender that I made back in school is based off of. Its the JD2 model 3. I have a die and notcher on oeder. This is gona be pretty dang fun ! Thanks Josh for your time and efforts

Last Online
    June 26th, 2022
    4x4
    94' toyota PU, 89 yj
    User Name
    94ToyBear
    Real Name
    Adam
    Thanks Given

Now for the material question.... where is everyone getting thire 1 3/4 .120 wall DOM from ? My metal place is Altitude steal but last I remember they dont carry DOM on hand. IM sure if I get DOM from them they will mark it up aswell. Anyone have a DOM hot spots ?

Last Online
    February 22nd, 2016
    4x4
    User Name
    Haku
    Real Name
    Josh
    Thanks Given

No problem at all dude, I'm happy that I could help. I talked to Steve (the owner of CWS) and he said he would totally dig having some of your students down for a field trip if you wanted to do that. I have no idea what his schedule is, but he is almost always there on Thursday nights if you want to go talk to him.

My list of places to call around to for DOM are Marmon Keystone, C and M Iron, Tube Service, and if you remnant pieces K and K surplus has a good stock of stuff. If you need short pieces, Ruffstuff Specialties actually has reasonable prices and shipping rates too. I'm sure there are other places around town that you can look and I'd love to hear about them too.

Last Online
    June 26th, 2022
    4x4
    94' toyota PU, 89 yj
    User Name
    94ToyBear
    Real Name
    Adam
    Thanks Given

Gave a few place a call. Key stone is going to be the winner with it being 3.45 a foot hlaf the cost of other places. Thanks for the tips josh !

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast