97 Dodge CTD, 85 4R, 89 YJ, 04 Kawasaki Mule
    User Name
    Brucker
    Real Name
    Aaron Brucker
    Thanks Given

Default Re: Clean bodied 1985 Toyota 4Runner

Patrolman previously posted:
    "Nice work on the bumper! Just curious what the green machine is in the background."

Thank you.

As for the green machine, I believe you are referring to one of my lathes. It is a Monarch 16" x 6' built in 1927 and still works like a champ. I am fortunate enough to know it's entire history and have documentation backing it all all. It was purchased the year it was manufactured by GM, specifically by the machine shop my Grandfather worked in and ended up running. When GM decommissioned it in the 70's, my Grandfather purchased it for personal use in his home shop. He then passed it on to me in the Summer of '12 as he decided he could not use it safely anymore at the age of 92. So I drove out to MI and hauled it home.

Here are a few photos:

There are a bunch more photos of it, my journey to get it and back, and of some of the original tooling I received with it here: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...0284414&type=3

Last Online
    March 1st, 2014
    4x4
    '87 Chevy V20
    User Name
    Popsgarage
    Real Name
    Jonathan E Epp
    Thanks Given

Brucker previously posted:
    "The SWAG benders (and kits) are decent for what they are and the money he wants for them. They too have their limitations though. They can only bend up to a 3" section of 3/8" thick material and maxes out out 19" sections of 3/16" or thinner mild steel. And it REALLY struggles with the thicker stuff. They are also very limit as far as dies. You only get the one bottom die so you are limited with it's depth as you can not change it out."

Was wondering if anyone else thought this, or if it was just me. For the money and what I'll do with it and your review, I think I'll finally pull the trigger. I've heard good things about everything he sells and his customer service is really good as well. His infinite 8 for the JD2 model 32 I have works really well. He had a really good idea with that one. Kinda like his tubing roller. Who'd a thought that Harbor Freight stuff would be something someone would use as a shop tool.

Last Online
    August 28th, 2022
    4x4
    User Name
    Brucker
    Real Name
    Aaron Brucker
    Thanks Given

The last pieces that we will add while the bumper is on the vehicle are the D ring (or shackle) mounts. Not only will they provide the obvious, they also will provide a LOT of strength and rigidity to the winch tray itself. We use our mill to cut the desired thru hole size.

Smoke flared up once I reopened the coolant line (had it shut off to take a better photo):

You gotta love it when you get chips like this. Not only do you know the speeds and feeds are set right, you know there wasn't any chatter and cleanup is SO much easier.

The plates fresh out off the mill:

We didn't have the right tubing in stock for the next parts. So instead of ordering a whole stick of material and having to wait on it's delivery of next week, we decided to cut our own. We happened to have some thicker walled tubing of the same OD which we could easily modify. So we put a length into one of our lathes and went to work:

Last Online
    August 28th, 2022
    4x4
    User Name
    Brucker
    Real Name
    Aaron Brucker
    Thanks Given

With the tubing now having the correct ID, we pull it out of the lathe and part off the two pieces we need using a horizontal band saw so the lathe could get back to work on making the parts we had interrupted.

The left over section of tubing shows just how much material we needed to remove:

Then insert the tubing into the plates that were just made

And then welded them together

The hangers will be able to except the more common sizes of D rings in this industry, 5/8", 3/4", and 7/8" shackles

Now we are able to tack weld them into place

Last Online
    September 13th, 2015
    4x4
    Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 RCLB 5.7
    User Name
    Atl-atl
    Real Name
    Mike
    Thanks Given

"Thank you.

As for the green machine, I believe you are referring to one of my lathes. It is a Monarch 16" x 6' built in 1927 and still works like a champ. I am fortunate enough to know it's entire history and have documentation backing it all all. It was purchased the year it was manufactured by GM, specifically by the machine shop my Grandfather worked in and ended up running. When GM decommissioned it in the 70's, my Grandfather purchased it for personal use in his home shop. He then passed it on to me in the Summer of '12 as he decided he could not use it safely anymore at the age of 92. So I drove out to MI and hauled it home."

How cool is that! I think its safe to say "metal is in your blood."

Last Online
    June 28th, 2022
    4x4
    1999 XJ, 1999 F 250
    User Name
    carpenle
    Real Name
    Levi
    Thanks Given

Band saw, lathe, mill, man I am jelioius I really like the story behind the green lathe. I have an old antique Atlas 10" Model D metal lathe, that was manufactured in 1936 and still works.

[IMG][/IMG]

Last Online
    August 28th, 2022
    4x4
    User Name
    Brucker
    Real Name
    Aaron Brucker
    Thanks Given

Popsgarage previously posted:
    "I think I'll finally pull the trigger"

Merry Christmas to you! You should be happy with it as long as you remember that you get what you pay for Good luck with it!

Atl-atl previously posted:
    "How cool is that! I think its safe to say "metal is in your blood.""

Funny thing is, I grew up in a house where my father didn't even change his own oil. He knew how but never did, it was beneath him. He didn't earn those degrees and work hard so he would have to work on his own car. All of my siblings are academics, having multiple degrees and now all teach. I was the black sheep in the family (still am, I guess) and went out of my way to learn things the "hard" way. And along the way the only things I really liked were transportation and metal. And since transportation items are really just a form of metalwork, playing with metal just kinda took over.

carpenle previously posted:
    " I have an old antique Atlas 10" Model D metal lathe, that was manufactured in 1936 and still works."

Very cool! Do you use it? What kind of tooling do you have for it?

Last Online
    August 31st, 2019
    4x4
    1978 Bronco
    User Name
    Cr33p3r
    Real Name
    Sean
    Thanks Given

That ol green lathe is a cool piece of machinery, enjoyed checking it out when we was up there. Now I am wishing I wouldn't have sold my old Milling machine. I do need to get back up to your place soon and look at a few of the machines you built cause I need to build a couple of them for the garage.

Last Online
    August 28th, 2022
    4x4
    User Name
    Brucker
    Real Name
    Aaron Brucker
    Thanks Given

1freaky1 previously posted:
    "That ol green lathe is a cool piece of machinery, enjoyed checking it out when we was up there. Now I am wishing I wouldn't have sold my old Milling machine. I do need to get back up to your place soon and look at a few of the machines you built cause I need to build a couple of them for the garage."

Anytime, hope you know that. What do you want to check out? I probably have photos and detailed build threads somewhere, on most of the stuff I have built. Let me know and I can point you in the right direction until you are able to get up here again.

Last Online
    June 28th, 2022
    4x4
    1999 XJ, 1999 F 250
    User Name
    carpenle
    Real Name
    Levi
    Thanks Given

"Very cool! Do you use it? What kind of tooling do you have for it?"

I use it very rarely and have thought about selling it. I have all the different gears to change threads per inch, a steady rest, live center, drill chuck, several holders, bits, boaring bar, etc... I made a stand and it is on wheels, so it can be moved.

Last Online
    August 28th, 2022
    4x4
    User Name
    Brucker
    Real Name
    Aaron Brucker
    Thanks Given

The majority of the work left on the front bumper will be done with it off of the vehicle. With it removed and sitting of the fab table, you are able to see the inner support structure better.

Our focus turns towards making the mounting plates for the flush mount lighting from Rigid Industries. We have used their products on multiple builds now and they have yet to disappoint. Some of the best lighting, if not the best, you can buy. Here is a shot from an earlier build showing what one of their 50" light bars can do:

On this bumper we will be using a set of their Dually D2 driving lights. They won't pack quite the punch as the 50" above, but should produce more than enough illumination for our needs. Here is one fresh out of the package:

We make a set of mounting plates

Then bend up some round rod to use as spacers so the lights will be truly flush with the front face of the bumper

We make the final cuts to the plates and start to fit the rod

Once the rod is welded to the plates, we smooth the edges

Added cage nuts

And test fit them into place

We then clamp the bumper to the fab table and tack weld the mounting plates and front face plate into place

Last Online
    March 1st, 2014
    4x4
    '87 Chevy V20
    User Name
    Popsgarage
    Real Name
    Jonathan E Epp
    Thanks Given

And now I understand why you made the mounting holes for the lights bigger than what you originally had made them. Looking good.

Last Online
    10 Hours Ago
    4x4
    Jeep Cherokee XJ
    User Name
    xaza
    Real Name
    Cliff
    Thanks Given

Very nice bumper indeed!

Cesare Pavese

Last Online
    March 1st, 2014
    4x4
    '87 Chevy V20
    User Name
    Popsgarage
    Real Name
    Jonathan E Epp
    Thanks Given

Did you buy or build your table???????? 'Cause that would be a handy addition to the garage.

Last Online
    8 Hours Ago
    4x4
    03 Ranger FX4
    User Name
    The StRanger
    Real Name
    Sam
    Thanks Given

Sweet.

Last Online
    August 28th, 2022
    4x4
    User Name
    Brucker
    Real Name
    Aaron Brucker
    Thanks Given

xaza previously posted:
    "Very nice bumper indeed!"

"And now I understand why you made the mounting holes for the lights bigger than what you originally had made them. Looking good."

The StRanger previously posted:
    "Sweet."

Thanks for the kind words.

Last Online
    August 28th, 2022
    4x4
    User Name
    Brucker
    Real Name
    Aaron Brucker
    Thanks Given

"Did you buy or build your table???????? 'Cause that would be a handy addition to the garage."

I built my fab table. It is a 4' x 8' table with a 1/2" thick top. The top surface is 41" off the ground. That might sound fairly tall but it saves my back from always having to bend over when working. The main structure is 3" x 3" x 1/4" sq tubing. And the large casters (2 straight, 2 pivoting) are greaseable and each have a 1500 lbs capacity meaning it can support quite a bit of weight. The top surface is flat within about .020" in any direction. I have a 5" x 5" bolt hole pattern drilled and tapped in it. Under the top surface is storage of different types. I have built literally thousands of different things off this table from tube chassis to hot rods, from high speed radar systems to automotive turn tables.

I have built several other tables now, but will find I still like this one the best. Great size for my current shop. Once I get into a bigger shop I have plans to build a couple more fab tables. These would be smaller 4' x 4' tables with tighter grid patterns of thru holes. They will be hydraulic lift tables with manual lock outs at different heights. They would still have casters and be able to support a ton of weight. They would make great additions as they could be used together and also with my current setup for one large flat work surface , or act as smaller fab tables for multiple jobs at once.

Edit: I built more own as a cost savings. When I was looking, no one offered anything like it for a reasonable price. Nothing that large anyways. BUt now many companies are offering some cool products. And when you research pricing to do it yourself and add that to the time it will take you to build your own, they seem pretty cost effective.

Miller now sells their portable welded/fab table found here: http://store.millerwelds.com/commerc...?ProdID=300837
    or their work stations found here: http://store.cyberweld.com/miar30swo...FSVgMgodDHkAKw
    and here: http://store.millerwelds.com/commerc...?ProdID=951413

or I just saw these in Northern's catalog. I haven't had any experience with them but they are priced right, especially with the extra tooling that comes with: http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...FSISMwodEBkAdA

Last Online
    March 1st, 2014
    4x4
    '87 Chevy V20
    User Name
    Popsgarage
    Real Name
    Jonathan E Epp
    Thanks Given

Must weigh close to 500 pounds or more, but man, would it be handy for clamping projects down and keeping them flat while welding. How long did it take you to drill and tap the top????

Last Online
    August 28th, 2022
    4x4
    User Name
    Brucker
    Real Name
    Aaron Brucker
    Thanks Given

"Must weigh close to 500 pounds or more, but man, would it be handy for clamping projects down and keeping them flat while welding. How long did it take you to drill and tap the top????"

Very heavy. Very sturdy. But I can still easily move it around the shop myself. The layout was easy but fairly time consuming as I did it by hand and must have double checked myself a dozen or so times. Drilling didn't take too long. Couple nice, new bits, and a mag drill, made easy work of it. And the tapping took no time at all with my Flexarm Tapping Arm(one of the best pieces of equipment I own).

Last Online
    March 1st, 2014
    4x4
    '87 Chevy V20
    User Name
    Popsgarage
    Real Name
    Jonathan E Epp
    Thanks Given

Mag drill would help with punching the holes for sure. I'd have to hand tap every hole though. I did look at some of the plans for the Miller, Lincoln and a few other table. Wouldn't be a hard project, just a bit time consuming. Which tapping arm do you have and what was the cost?

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast