4x4
    Toyota Tacoma
    User Name
    AdventureReady
    Real Name
    Patrick
    Thanks Given

Default Ghetto-Fixes!

I know we've all been in a pinch either on the trail or stuck in a parking lot with a broken part, minor or major we've all ghetto-rigged something to fix it, let's seem some of em!

Here's mine from last year, all packed up to drive 1,000 miles home and my soft-top ripped, out came the duct-tape, go buffs!

Last Online
    32 Minutes Ago
    4x4
    03 Ranger FX4
    User Name
    The StRanger
    Real Name
    Sam
    Thanks Given

Default Re: Ghetto-Fixes!

Back in the 80s I blew a rear U joint, fixed it with a leather belt. got off the mountain.

Last Online
    32 Minutes Ago
    4x4
    03 Ranger FX4
    User Name
    The StRanger
    Real Name
    Sam
    Thanks Given

Iv used Muffler clamps to fix leaf springs !

Last Online
    July 10th, 2018
    4x4
    1991 Isuzu Trooper
    User Name
    ctracy5
    Real Name
    Chris Tracy
    Thanks Given

I got some on the soft top of the miata and that is the last thing my mind with that thing. It goes 90 with no problems so I'm not worried. I want a hard top but need to same the near $2000 for one. That's more then I paid for the car, granted the one I am looking at is carbon fiber lol.

Last Online
    March 25th, 2019
    4x4
    2006 Toyota 4Runner
    User Name
    foxtrot
    Real Name
    Brad Tencer
    Thanks Given

I fixed my u-bolts with straps lol, u-bolts loosened and stripped out so I strapped the crap out of that axle and drove 15 MPH down the mountain and all the way home

Last Online
    32 Minutes Ago
    4x4
    03 Ranger FX4
    User Name
    The StRanger
    Real Name
    Sam
    Thanks Given

Iv done and seen some real trail fixes in my lifetime
    Iv used bubblegum on a gas tank to straping a broomstick from the slider to the rear bumper to hold the tire/axle from walking out !!

Last Online
    June 28th, 2022
    4x4
    1999 XJ, 1999 F 250
    User Name
    carpenle
    Real Name
    Levi
    Thanks Given

Here is the one that we came up with, when Jim's fuel pump messed up on the trail.

[IMG][/IMG]

Last Online
    September 28th, 2015
    4x4
    2005 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (LJ)
    User Name
    alexb
    Real Name
    Alex B.
    Thanks Given

Mine doesn't look like a ghetto fix.

I broke the bottom mounting screw off the light. I just wrapped the plastic post with enough electrical tape that it fits snugly in the hole. I'm expecting it to fall out when the tape fails. Guess I've got more tape in the back of the Jeep.

Last Online
    September 28th, 2015
    4x4
    2005 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (LJ)
    User Name
    alexb
    Real Name
    Alex B.
    Thanks Given

carpenle previously posted:
    "Here is the one that we came up with, when Jim's fuel pump messed up on the trail.

[IMG][/IMG]"

I think this is still my favorite I've seen.

Last Online
    November 21st, 2023
    4x4
    4Runner
    User Name
    Chris
    Real Name
    Chris
    Thanks Given

Aargh! Can't find my photo! It was on my old Land Cruiser and involved bypass wires from the fuel pump through the dashboard, vise grips on the hand throttle and more to get back from Utah, very ghetto!

Last Online
    November 18th, 2013
    4x4
    07 Hummer H3 91 Cherokee
    User Name
    Clickpopboom
    Real Name
    Kelly
    Thanks Given

I've done a few sketchy fixes. I was driving one of my old VW rabbits down a dirt road in the dark on my way back from a fishing trip. Hit a big bump and the battery bucked and the old corroded ground cable just disintegrated. I had no flashlight, or tools with me, just my fishing stuff.

I opened the rear hatch, felt around for the speaker, and pulled the leads off, then pulled on it until I had about 4 feet of speaker wire and cut it off by the back seat with my fishing knife. I cut it into 4 pieces, and made it into a mini groundstrap to get home.

Another fun one was a Chevy pickup my buddy had. the mechanical fuel pump went out and we were out in the sticks in western oregon. We ended up disconnecting the feed line from the tank to fill up the gas can we had in the back. After that we emptied the windshield washer tank and filled it with gas. We used the cone shaped tip from a tube of RTV to adapt the skinny washer hose to the rubber part of the fuel inlet hose on the carb. Then we were able to limp into the next town by using the washer pump to fill the carb bowl.

Last Online
    November 1st, 2022
    4x4
    2021 Gladiator, 2000 Grand Cherokee
    User Name
    Shane
    Real Name
    Shane
    Thanks Given

A couple of winters ago the wiper motor went out so I had to take part of a ratchet strap and loop it around each wiper arm run it through the door windows while I had my buddy pulling it back and forth so we had wipers. Once you got the system down it did not work to bad but definitely wears out the arms and shoulders after a while.

Last Online
    32 Minutes Ago
    4x4
    03 Ranger FX4
    User Name
    The StRanger
    Real Name
    Sam
    Thanks Given

See !!!This is what wheeling is all about..
    You do what you can do with what ya got !!!

Last Online
    December 15th, 2022
    4x4
    '13 JK "Linus"
    User Name
    Heather
    Real Name
    DRT GRL
    Thanks Given

When my husband broke off a rear leaf halfway through Patriot (on his old built YJ "Kermit"), he and buddy John used a chain wrapped around the axle and come-along and attached it to the spring mount - finished the trail and crawled out. I couldn't believe it.

Last Online
    March 1st, 2014
    4x4
    '87 Chevy V20
    User Name
    Popsgarage
    Real Name
    Jonathan E Epp
    Thanks Given

Heather previously posted:
    "When my husband broke off a rear leaf halfway through Patriot (on his old built YJ "Kermit"), he and buddy John used a chain wrapped around the axle and come-along and attached it to the spring mount - finished the trail and crawled out. I couldn't believe it."

Wish I coulda see that one.

Last Online
    December 3rd, 2023
    4x4
    1990 Cherokee
    User Name
    Hypoid
    Real Name
    Mike
    Thanks Given

I don't know if its a ghetto-fix, or redneck repair...

The wires broke off the motor for my electric window. You can't really re-do the connection, because the conductors are set in epoxy. You can't replace the motor, because it is unitized with the window regulator. I have RR & Rd the regulator assembly on the passenger side, it sucked. Not to mention, a new replacement was kinda expensive.

When the driver side window stopped working, I found a wire had broken where it goes into the case. As I mentioned, it is filled with epoxy, so I crimped an eye on the wire and ran a small screw into the epoxy where the wire came out. When the other wire broke, it was time...OK, it was an excuse to go to the junkyard.

What I decided to try, was replacing the brush holder, instead of the entire regulator with motor. The process is simple, just bend the tabs that secure the brush holder to the back of the motor. Try to not break the tabs off the regulator motor in your vehicle.

With the brush holder removed, everything else stays put.

The next trick is to install the brush holder in your Jeep. The brushes have to be pinned back to slip over the armature.

I don't know how this was done at the factory, they did not leave me with any means to pin the brushes. I made my own holes; "X" marks the spot!

A couple things I want to point out:
    Use the smallest drill bit practicable. I sized the hole to the smallest steel wire I had in the shop.
    If you drill where I marked, the hole will be a little ways into the brush holder. My first go-round, I drilled into the brush, causing chunks to break off. My second go-round, I had the brush pushed far enough back to prevent damage.

After drilling the holes, I installed the pins.

Reassembly is straightforward, leave the pins installed until the tabs are bent into place. Bending the tabs was a little nerve racking, I worried about breaking them off where they were bent before. Also, it was difficult to get them bent all the way in.

With the tabs bent in, remove the pins, plug in the harness, and give it a test run. The first thing I noticed was that the motor ran backwards to the switch. I swapped the polarity of the wires, I think I cut and crimped the harness between the motor and the plug. The second thing I noticed, was how much the motor jumped around when it was under load. The brush holder wanted to jump off the end of the motor when the window was going up. I'm guessing the armature moves on its axis, while under load. This is why you need to be careful with the tabs that secure the brush holder.

I'll finish by saying that the yellow wire did break after some time. These pictures were taken during my first attempt. If you look at the second picture of the pins, you can see the brush I damaged. The second brush holder has worked for some time now. Ironically, both motors ran backwards to the switch, but were from opposite side of the vehicle.

Last Online
    July 9th, 2016
    4x4
    84 Ranger/94Explorer/87ZUK
    User Name
    BLOODBANE
    Real Name
    Mark
    Thanks Given

No pics, but Larry (Warrlord) and I were wheeling up on Eagle Rock one time, and he came off a rock pretty hard (backwards). It bowed the tie rod out, which toed his front tires in really bad. We took a come-a-long and hooked it at the bend, and the other end to a crossmember on his truck (underneath). He cranked on it till I told him the tires looked good, and we finished the day. He took it to work and put it on the alignment rack and it was only out around 1/4 of an inch (if I remember correctly.

Another time up on Chinamans Dan slipped of a rock and twisted his rear driveline (I actually didnt see it, Larry's steering box broke, so we were running back to Bueanie to get another and fix it). Anyways when we got there they had the D-Shaft off. Jesse had a premier welder, so we straightened the shaft, cut the old jack crank out of my Explorer into about 6" pieces, welded them all around the twist. We didnt finish the trail that day (to many break downs and it was getting late). But Dan said he drove it home to Denver with no vibrations.

Last Online
    February 24th, 2019
    4x4
    Jeep Comanche
    User Name
    dscowell
    Real Name
    Dante
    Thanks Given

Well I was at driving around some grad parties yesterday and my dashlights went out so..

Last Online
    November 21st, 2023
    4x4
    4Runner
    User Name
    Chris
    Real Name
    Chris
    Thanks Given

A few years ago while running from Moab to the Henry Mtns across Beef Basin I had fuel supply issues caused by a combination of problems.

Kept the truck running by running new wiring and using the hand throttle to maintain an idle and keep it running above idle.

Last Online
    October 9th, 2023
    4x4
    05 4Runner
    User Name
    jayson44
    Real Name
    Jay
    Thanks Given

I just "fixed" my header issue by rolling up some tin foil to use as a gasket until I get one ordered in.

J.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast