Front Range 4x4 Upcoming Trail Runs - Add a New Trail Run

Thread: Moon and Gamble Gulch

Default Moon and Gamble Gulch

Here is a reposting of the second (of two) trail reports I have ever constructed.

Funrover suggested we need to run this trail since I forgot my camera when I did it last season. I think he is right.

I am one of the many four-wheelers in Colorado that rely on the trail description book by Charles A. Wells, Colorado Backroads and 4-Wheel Drive Trails (2006; FunTreks, Inc; P.O Box 3127, Monument CO, 80132). This afternoon we did Moon and Gamble Gulch trail, page 105 of Mr. Wells trail guide. After turning west off Hwy 119 onto Moon Gulch Road and resetting the odometer, the directions state that the trail starts on the left at mile 2.4. The trail actually takes off to the left at about 2.9-3.0, depending on how quickly you reset. Off to the left of the trail is a flat spot where I have seen campers set up, and Mr. Wells is correct in describing the aspens flanking the road. At 2.0, our directions dictate crossing a small stream and proceeding one tenth of a mile to make a hard left up a hill. If you don't have a Jeep, you will make at least a four point turn. Watch out for the thick dead-looking branch on the right side of the trail just waiting to gouge out your back windshield. However, you really don't have to do this. At 2.0, on your left, there is a rock-lined 'trail' that will take you to the same spot as the pain in the neck left turn at 2.1. If your vehicle cannot make it up this section of the trail, proceed no further: you will break or maim something that you value having intact on your ride. At the top of this section of trail Mr. Wells specifically advises us to not traverse, you will find the road listed at our directions given between mile marker 2.1 and 2.6. Cross the little stream by the shallow pond. The road is to your left and does not look well-traveled. Also, do not take the steep inclined trail to the right when the trail forks just past the pond. Going back behind you is the road coming up from the unnecessary hard left noted at 2.1 miles. The best advice is to have a GPS unit. Mr. Wells' coordinates were spot on. We used our GPS and his coordinates to find the route for ourselves and a few Jeeps behind us.

The trail is listed as moderate, less difficult than the Kingston Peak trail. I did Kingston last weekend and comparatively, that road is cake. I will have to disagree. There has been significant weathering of the trail. Many sections are just rock, no dirt. The rocks can be sizeable, but nothing like the boulder fields of the more hardcore trails; just little to not as little pointy rocks waiting to pop your tires. The descent to Gamble Gulch is difficult. There is a turn hidden by trees with a sizeable, tippy driver's side hole. I watched as the Jeep in the lead had to correct. Go around? You can't clear the trees on the passenger side and the boulder on the driver's side so you have to maneuver though the dip. I had to head in, back up and correct my course twice, but it is manageable.

Moon and Gamble Gulch is a fun, short trail close to Denver with enough challenges to keep your attention. Just be aware as there are side roads everywhere.

So when you leading us out?

when it's warmer. This is the trail I did a bad thing on last April. May sometime?

Default Re: Moon and Gamble Gulch

bad thing.... the bumper dent?

no, that will take some detail to explain. It involves a slope, a creek, and saplings.

DO'H!!! Knowing how careful you are I can imagine you weren't thrilled

Kingston Peak was the first trail I ever ran in Colorado - way back in my Ford Exploder days. I run it a couple times a year now. I did about 40 miles one afternoon up there last summer. I ran Pickle Gulch over to Apex, went up the hill past Apex back over to the road that leads to Pickle, headed down past Wide Awake, ate at the Stage Stop Inn in Rollinsville, (where I asked the local boys about Jenny Lind Gulch - they said no go) shot up Mammoth Gulch to KP trail, headed down to find American City, (no trespassing so I turned around) went over KP to Alice and called it a day... Good fun, and great scenery!

Last Online
    August 19th, 2014
    4x4
    2007 FJ Cruiser
    User Name
    Pathrat
    Real Name
    Stephanie
    Thanks Given

You made me think of the first time I went off pavement in my old Exploder! Didn't know jack about being on the dirt and I think I was on Guanella. I ran over a rock, the only rock around, and jammed it between the tire and fender well. This guy who knew what he was doing gave me the best "stupid yuppie: look ever. Sounds like your Apex and everything else was pretty fun.

Would like to do this trail again.

Funrover, you are right. I was careful, carefully following Mr. Well's incorrect directions. UP the steep, snow-covered slope, back down over the tree in the snow (the tree bounced back up, shored by the snow) and back down the drop off, backwards, controlled, so I didn't roll right back into the creek. All with full air. Stupid newbie.

I've never been on Moon. I have a good idea of where it starts. There are so many neat trails in that area. I'd like to spend some time camping up that way this summer.