May 13th, 2019
    4x4
    '92 Range Rover
    User Name
    Funrover
    Real Name
    Aaron
    Thanks Given

Default Re: What Steve and I are up to...

UH oh.... what happened?

Last Online
    January 7th, 2020
    4x4
    75 International Scout
    User Name
    scout man
    Real Name
    Steve
    Thanks Given

Burned up the icm

Last Online
    April 6th, 2019
    4x4
    Toyota/Scout/Nissan
    User Name
    Patrolman
    Real Name
    Jeff
    Thanks Given

Ouch!

Last Online
    January 7th, 2020
    4x4
    75 International Scout
    User Name
    scout man
    Real Name
    Steve
    Thanks Given

yea, it was a successful shake-down run. I shook down a couple issues! First off, I burned up another ICM. I think the issue is that the heat sink is too close to the engine block, and instead of dissipating the heat from the ICM, its absorbing heat from the block and feeding it into the ICM. Up until the point where I burned it up though, I was absolutely thrilled with the performance with the fuel injection. Josh drove me into town to get a new ICM (or two), and when I popped it in everything worked just fine again. Since I had a spare anyways, we decided to keep going up the hill a bit. On the way back down I dropped off a rock kind of hard (but not THAT bad) and the engine shut off. I couldn't get the fuel pump to kick in again. Long story short, we screwed around with it for a while and couldn't accomplish anything, so I rolled down the trail in neutral (with josh pulling on the up hills) until I hit a tight switch back that we were struggling with. Finally I hit the ignition again for the 30th time, and it fired right up! Got through the switch back and noticed the engine was coming and going with bumps, so I stopped to inspect it. Turns out my positive battery cable pulled out of the clamp on my primary battery! It was occasionally making contact and firing up. Hooked it back up and drove it to the trailer!! So there are a few things I noticed on this run other than the obvious: I no longer have a temperature gauge, since the sensor now goes straight to the computer... need to fix that. ICM needs to be moved to a new location. Need more spare parts, since when the modules go out there isn't a damn thing you can do about it. Also need to find a way to raise my idle a bit. It is way too low and causes problems at times. At the end of the day though it was actually a good run. The scout did great other than the problems identified, and those are all correctable!

Last Online
    January 7th, 2020
    4x4
    75 International Scout
    User Name
    scout man
    Real Name
    Steve
    Thanks Given

I was exhausted from yesterday, so I didn't do much today, but I did get the ICM relocated on a new heat sink. I really think this should solve that problem once and for all! First picture: ICM used to mount on that piece of aluminum, right above all those holes, and practically on the block. Second picture is the new heat sink, which was stolen from an external hardrive enclosure or some thing. I don't know Josh had it in his rig yesterday and donated it. Away from heat with a massive heat sink. I suspect it should stay nice and cool!

Last Online
    April 6th, 2019
    4x4
    Toyota/Scout/Nissan
    User Name
    Patrolman
    Real Name
    Jeff
    Thanks Given

Glad that it all worked out and that it performs well. I have a spreadbore for my 345 which I have always intended to put on it, but this has caught my interest.

Last Online
    January 7th, 2020
    4x4
    75 International Scout
    User Name
    scout man
    Real Name
    Steve
    Thanks Given

It is definitely worth it Jeff. The performance on the trail yesterday was night and day compared to the carb. Even with the problems I had to work through still, it was definitely worth it. I would say I am $800 or so total for the conversion. I definitely have a better idea now of how this all works, and could probably help you get yours done in a weekend or two.

Last Online
    February 22nd, 2016
    4x4
    1988 Toyota Pickup Crawler and 1988 Toyota 4runner
    User Name
    Haku
    Real Name
    Josh
    Thanks Given

scout man previously posted:
    " Second picture is the new heat sink, which was stolen from an external hardrive enclosure or some thing. I don't know Josh had it in his rig yesterday and donated it. Away from heat with a massive heat sink. I suspect it should stay nice and cool!"

Its a heat sink from a video card to cool the GPU. I imagine with the copper contact and all those cooling fins, it should do the job nicely. Glad you could use it, as I probably would have just recycled it or something since the video card wasn't worth the effort of putting it all back together.

It always seems like the stupid little thing you don't notice that comes back to bite you, and that was the case this time. I saw this small cable going from the battery while we were checking for loose stuff, and thought "Its probably not this but I'll jiggle it anyways" and my doing instantly kicked the fuel pump on for half a second pulled the cable that was coming from the battery all the way out. Like Steve said, it was enough in the battery socket to make contact a bit every once in a while. One of those things that you kick yourself for not checking right off the bat after you discover it (same kind of thing happened to me with a blown fuse that was hiding under the dash and stranded me up at Jenny Creek for a few hours and after getting towed down the mountain by a stranger over the summer).

Moral of the story, trace the path of the problem from start to finish and don't count anything out without checking it. If something isn't turning on, check that it is getting continuous power starting at the battery and trace it through the system. Easier said then done sometimes, but it beats randomly hunting for problems.

All in all, there could have been worse days/nights to be stuck on a mountain...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234