4x4
    Jeep Rubicon Unltd. 2014
    User Name
    Don Ruby 14 CR
    Real Name
    Don
    Thanks Given

Default Squeaks and Basc Maintenance

So I have a 2012 Xterra Pro 4X and OK, I treat it almost better than I do myself (I think). That being said, don't get the impression that I don't hit the trails with it. However since it "already" has 7,000 miles, I've started to notice a few squeaks and other minor (I hope) noises here and there. Typically I wash it with extra attention paid behind the tires, on the shocks, etc. and the noises generally go away. By no means do I expect a perfectly quiet vehicle, especially given what we put ours through. But now I've started thinking about what other preventive maint. I need/should do to keep things in good shape. I found this article from a few years ago (below) but I think it was too old to respond to. So read as much as you would like, but I'm curious about the following:

1) Is it true that off-roading is like double the mileage on your vehicle in terms of wear and tear? Even if it's a jeep or (like my Xterra) built on a truck chassis?

2) What should I be looking for under my truck if I'm not exactly a mechanic? Granted, I installed my skids, sliders, and have changed my own oil and checked fluids. That's about it. This article gives lots of good info but at the same time, what the heck is a ball joint and where do I find one? What other kinds of joints, etc. need to be lubed up and how do I find where they are?

3) After reading this article I picture myself squirting grease everywhere and accomplishing nothing. Any suggestions?

4) Where do I find 'wheel bearings' and at what point does noise suggest a more serious problem? My truck only has 7K miles on it so I doubt I'm there yet. Thoughts?

Thanks!

Preventive Maintenance..A Good Thing To Do

I don't know how many people here actual practice preventive maintenance, but it is a really good thing to do unless you really like doing trail fixes and hanging everyone on the run up. Most of this is simple common sense. You have to understand that when you actually wheel a rig, no matter the make or model, that you are adding a lot of stresses that the manufacturer didn't plan on, especially if you are running larger tires, a lift, big hp, etc. When you wheel, you are more than doubling the actual mileage you put on your rig in terms of wear and tear. Add dust, mud, water and vibration to this...

Here is a very simple list of things to do either before or after a trail run:

Fluids:

Check ALL of your basic fluid levels: oil, brake clutch, windshield washer, anti freeze, automatic transmission. This takes only a minute and suffices for most of the close by runs if you follow standard maintenance procedures for your vehicle.

If you are going on a trail run that is a multi day run and requires a lot of driving, check all of your differential, transfer case and standard transmission fluid levels. I don't care if you did it the week before or not. Double checking these will save grief.

Change your oil religiously, every 3,000 -5,000 miles. Use a good quality oil and a good quality oil filter. Amsoil makes some of the best, but you pay for the quality. I try to use the best quality the budget will allow for.

Grease:

Get a simple grease gun, small or large, that uses standard cartridges. When you are under your rig, grease every damn thing with a grease zerk fitting. Most owner's manuals (or online resources) will show all the zerk fittings on your vehicle. Don't be surprised if you have to go down and get a special grease fitting or two for the tight spots or needle fittings. Use whatever grease you can get your hands on. It is nicer to have a waterproof marine grease or straight synthetic, but not critical. They all work.

After any water crossings, grease everything. It will force the water out of the joint and keep it lubed up.

Note: Early on I had some bad experiences with "Jiffy Lube" and Quick Lube" places. I don't trust any of them and think that, for the most part, they hire some real clowns and are run by assholes who are out to rip you off. This is not only my opinion. I have found that sometimes they will simply use their marking pen on the oil pan nut or differential, and not have done any fluid changes to it at all. They also have a very bad habit of cross threading the oil pan bolts and diff drain plugs and/or rattle wrenching them in with huge amounts of needless torque. If you have someone else do this for you, verify the that the fluids really got changed.

Nuts and Bolts:

Crawl under your rig and take a close look at all of the nuts and bolts. Get familiar with the sizes you need and tighten EVERYTHING that you can get your hands on. Pay special attention to all of your suspension and steering components.

Tighten all of the U bolt axle/spring bolts.

Tighten everything that involves any steering linkages: tie rods, Pitman arm nut, drag link, shocks, steering knuckle nuts, etc. Check for missing cotter pins and if they are missing, either safety wire the castle nut or replace the cotter pin.

Tighten all of the transmission, motor and transfer case nuts and bolts, both the frame mounts and the ones on the units.

Tighten everything that you can reach on the motor. Be careful not to over tighten the oil pan nuts and bolts. The easiest way to not over tighten them is to use a 1/4" socket.

Tighten all of the shackle or leaf spring hanger bolts. Don't over tighten these as there needs to be some play to allow for flex.

While you are under your rig, look for fluid leaks, rusted muffler components, loose or dangling wires, abraded wires, wires that need to be sleeved to prevent shorts, worn or damaged spring bushings or shock bushings, bare metal areas that show where something is rubbing, etc.

Torque your wheel lug nuts. Do this for every run.

Check all of your drive shaft bolts and nuts.

Check all of your body mount bolts.

If you have already torqued everything to specifications, then take a metal marking pen or fingernail polish and draw a visible line of the torqued nut or bolt. Looking at the line will give you a very quick read if the nut or bolt had loosened up. Again, pay special attention to steering components. 90% of the rest of the stuff under your rig can simply be tightened without bothering too much with torque specs.

Under Hood, Engine:

Check for loose or cracked vacuum lines. They might not stop your engine, but will certainly cause it to run poorly and maybe flip a CEL (check engine light)

Check all of your rubber hoses, especially around the clamps. Cracking usually starts around the clamps and is a good indication that they will need replacement. Squeeze all of your hoses. If they squeeze too easily, that is also an indication that they are due to be replaced.

Check all of your fan belts. Generally, if there is more than 1/2" play in the belt, it needs tightening. Threads coming off the sides of the belt are both a sign of wear and that there is something misaligned. You can visually check the alignment from the side. Visible cracking on the outside of the belt is also a good indicator that the belt is worn out. Squealing is usually a sign of the belt being loose. Metal squealing is generally a sign of a bearing going out, more than likely an idler bearing, with the second being the alternator bearing. Spray a little WD40 on the idler or suspect part and if the squeal goes away, then you have found the part to replace.

Look at all of your visible electrical wiring. Anchor everything that is loose or dangling, allowing for some flex. Look at the battery and other terminal ends, including the ground wires, starter and alternator wires. Problems here will stop you dead in the water. If there is corrosion, clean it off and apply some dielectric grease to the contact area. In fact, use dielectric grease on any wire connection that may cause problems.

Check your battery fluid level if you do not have a dry cell battery.

Look at and check for looseness all of your plug wires. If they look hashed, they probably are and will need replacement.

Double check your air cleaner.

Check all of your fuses to see if there is any corrosion in the under hood fuse box. If there is, use a special purpose electronic parts cleaner to clean the contacts of all the fuses, add a dab of dielectric grease and reinstall.

Check the top and bottom of your steering box for leakage. Tighten any hoses that need it.

Check your power steering and reservoir for leaks, again tightening as needed. Also check all of the power steering hoses for wear and leaks.

As an aside: don't simply toss out the old rubber hoses or belts, at least not all of them. If they are merely worn, replace them with new ones and stick the worn ones in your trail repair box of junk. They will probably have enough life in them to get you and your rig home.

If you cannot see what you are doing under the hood, you are not going to able to see problem areas. Take your lazy ass down to the car wash with a couple of cans of engine degreaser and clean the engine and engine bay. Bring some WD40 and a couple of dry rags in case your engine didn't like the bath.

Brakes:

When you remove your front tires for any reason, check the brake pads and rotors. If the rotors are grooved (visual without taking the wheel off most of the time) your pads are probably worn. The rotors will probably need to be turned and new brake pads installed.

If your rear emergency brake no longer holds, either the cable needs adjusting or the rear brakes are too worn and need replacing. Fix it.

Look at all of your brake lines. Check to see if there is any leakage. Leakage around the rear inside brakes with drum brakes will usually indicate a brake cylinder that needs replacement. Leaking from the front discs will be visible on the inside of the rotor and inside of the wheel. This indicates that the caliper needs rebuilding or replacement, especially if there is no leaking around the brake line fitting.

Look at the rubber brake lines and check for excessive cracking. If the front of the rear of the rig is up in the air, double check that the brake lines have sufficient length for your travel. Check areas that may show rubbing and other wear.

Wheels and Tires

Rotate them, whatever way blows your skirt up. Run your hand lightly over the top of your front tires, especially on the outer edges. Is it uneven and bumpy to the point where it is noticeable? Then you are due for an alignment, shocks, or, worse case, ball joints. Get these tires on to the back of the rig as soon as you can and the unevenness with eventually wear down.

Tire rotation: If I have the front or rear of my truck in the air for any reason, the tires get rotated all the way around. Large, soft, tires wear very fast. Personally, I don't think these can be rotated often enough, so I simply do it every time I hike one end or the other of my heap up.

When you have your front end up in the air (to rotate the tires, of course) grab the tire at the top and bottom. Try to move it back and forth on a vertical plane. If it moves, then you can be pretty sure that you have something going on related to ball joints.

Rotate the tires when they are up in the air and listen for any noise. Noise will indicate a wheel bearing that needs to be greased and/or replaced. You can hear this driving too, though if it comes to this, figure replacement ASAP. Another good indicator of pre wheel bearing failure and if you are hearing noise from the front, is to place your hand over the hub. If the hub feels hot (hot, not just warm), you are soon going to have serious wheel bearing related issues.

Welds, Cages, Roll Bars, etc.

Metal fatigues over time to some degree. Stresses placed on joints cause cracks. Keeping that in mind, if you have a lot of metal on your heap, sliders, after market bumpers, winch mounts, tow points, check these for cracks. Re weld if necessary. Look around the shock towers or hoops for cracks. Do the same for any link type suspension components. Look in the area where your steering box is attached to the frame rail. Hard off road use causes a lot of stress in this area and stress cracks in the frame rails here is pretty common. The same goes for areas where the spring hangers are attached, especially the rear.

If you have stock IFS components, check the A arm structural support welds. These are usually only factory welded on the outside, using the bare minimum of welds for 'standard' use, not for off roading. Take a look at the rear leaf spring hanger mounts. Notice how the factory has rather casually stitch welded these...again not with hard off road use in mind. Either have some one weld these up fully or, at the very least, check for any stress cracks in the weld areas.

Summary:

This pretty much covers the basic junk. Aside from the tire rotation and checking the diff, T case and tranny fluids, this probably took longer to write than to check and tighten all this crap.
    Generally, this takes me about 35-45 minutes, sometimes less. I figure that it has probably saved me countless hours of roadside trail repairs, not to mention frustrating all the rest of the people on the run with you when they realize that it really wasn't trail damage, but sheer laziness and lack of maintenance on your part that is causing the big hold up and problem.

Probably 80% of all trail repairs stem from lack of maintenance. The remaining 20% can be divided between a heavy right foot and excessive throttle (10%) and simple wear and tear of components that you cannot see , usually internal engine, transmission, transfer case, or differential(10%).

The first time that you do this, you will be pretty surprised at the sheer number of nuts and bolts that are loose. The second time usually identifies the ones that loosen up on a regular basis. These may need a little light weight thread lock, Nylocks, lock washers or something similar to prevent them from loosening. Also allow some time the first time you do this. Not only is there what looks to be a huge amount of stuff (technical term for all the crap under your rig), you will have to make a few trips to the tool box to locate all the right tools. Make a short list of what you need to use and refer to it in the future. It saves a lot of time. You will, unless you really like getting really oily and greasy and large chunks of mud and grit in your eyes, want to take the rig to the car wash and clean off the underside. Like under the hood, if you cannot see what you are working on, then you won't see any problem areas.

Again, allow yourself a little time to do this the first time. If you want to do this yourself and are not mechanically inclined, or simply have never spent time under your rig or looking under the hood, just LOOK at stuff without anything else in mind. Under the rig, get comfortable and simply LOOK at at everything, getting familiar with it. Stuff that doesn't LOOK right will stand out: shiny metal, tape hanging off something, loose wires, missing nuts or bolts. It is easier to not LOOK for anything specific at first. Mechanical stuff is very linear for the most part and something that isn't linear is usually pretty noticeable.

Not mechanically inclined? Well, neither is Stephanie (Pathrat), but you know what? She had me go over all the junk I talked about here, picked up a set of tools that she needed, and does all of this stuff herself. Has she had any real breakdowns? No. If you have to ask yourself why, you need to get into shuffleboarding, sell your wheeler, and start driving a Prius or Smart car...

2. The Following Member Says Thanks to Don Ruby 14 CR For This Post:

glacierpaul (July 4th, 2013)

Last Online
    July 16th, 2016
    4x4
    1988 K5 1999 MX5
    User Name
    Robert B
    Real Name
    Robert
    Thanks Given

Default Re: Squeaks and Basc Maintenance

id love to help you but a lot of this info would be TONS easier to show you on your truck first hand........... im not too far from you so maybe one day we can meet up and I could show you but otherwise I don't want to get into it on here as I will sound very confusing

Last Online
    February 28th, 2018
    4x4
    95' Bronco
    User Name
    Fordguy77
    Real Name
    Christopher
    Thanks Given

Don Pro 4X CR previously posted:
    "1) Is it true that off-roading is like double the mileage on your vehicle in terms of wear and tear? Even if it's a jeep or (like my Xterra) built on a truck chassis?

2) What should I be looking for under my truck if I'm not exactly a mechanic? Granted, I installed my skids, sliders, and have changed my own oil and checked fluids. That's about it. This article gives lots of good info but at the same time, what the heck is a ball joint and where do I find one? What other kinds of joints, etc. need to be lubed up and how do I find where they are?

3) After reading this article I picture myself squirting grease everywhere and accomplishing nothing. Any suggestions?

4) Where do I find 'wheel bearings' and at what point does noise suggest a more serious problem? My truck only has 7K miles on it so I doubt I'm there yet. Thoughts?"

1. You are right in a sense. We are using our vehicles in a way, that they were not necessarily designed for, even with things like jeeps, or rigs on truck frames. However if there really is a wear factory that says x=2x is harder to quantify. The suspension is being used, articulated and abused far more than if the vehicle were to stay solely on the street. The more you wheel, the more its going to wear. Also when off road you are exposing your differentials to more dust/water than they might see in a city type setting. So the chance of water getting into them and degrading your oil and compounding other problems increases. However it is very simple to monitor, and there are corrective actions you can take to prevent those intrusions. In a sense everything does wear quicker, and should be inspected from time to time, and watched to prevent failure.

2. If your not mechanically inclined, while under your truck, you should simply be looking for things that dont look right. Typically vehicles for the most part are very symmetrical from driver-side to passenger side. They are also very linear. Leaking fluids, or things that appear to be bent or dented are indicators that something may be wrong. If you find something that you are unsure of, you can always take a pic/video, or post up what you are seeing and there are several people who are knowledgeable on this forum and willing to help you out. Some will even offer to take a look at it in person with you.

3. Most vehicles have specific locations to grease, that are shown in your user manuals. Typical places are on the drive shafts at the ujoints and occasionally on the slip joints. Other locations include the ball joints and where IFS suspensions articulate.

4. Wheel bearings are found inside the axles, and hub assemblies, and typically in accessible for servicing without tearing into your hubs, or axles to get to them. Typically any noise from a wheel bearing IMO should be addressed right away. If the vehicle is continued to be used while the bearing is going bad, it can fail at any point and can cause your tires to lock up when they choose to give out.

It's probably a good thing you brought this all up. As there are several new members whom are all new to wheeling and what all it entails. Over the course of my time on this forum we have had a few "Runs" that were more like meet and greats, targeted at the idea of getting to know your vehicle, and teaching basic maintenance. However the person whom used to be the primary coordinator for this has passed on, so I personally do not know if this is something someone would still be interested in coordinating, or if there is anyone who really is the guy to coordinate something like this.

However, I do have the tools, and most of the equipment, and some back round knowledge of the subject. I dont have the physical space myself to coordinate anything like this. But I would be interested in helping out, if someone wants to step up to the plate.

5. The Following 2 Members Say Thanks to Fordguy77 For This Post:

glacierpaul (July 4th, 2013),Jackie (July 5th, 2013)

Last Online
    April 9th, 2015
    4x4
    Jeep Rubicon Unltd. 2014
    User Name
    Don Ruby 14 CR
    Real Name
    Don
    Thanks Given

It's probably a good thing you brought this all up. As there are several new members whom are all new to wheeling and what all it entails. Over the course of my time on this forum we have had a few "Runs" that were more like meet and greats, targeted at the idea of getting to know your vehicle, and teaching basic maintenance. However the person whom used to be the primary coordinator for this has passed on, so I personally do not know if this is something someone would still be interested in coordinating, or if there is anyone who really is the guy to coordinate something like this.

However, I do have the tools, and most of the equipment, and some back round knowledge of the subject. I dont have the physical space myself to coordinate anything like this. But I would be interested in helping out, if someone wants to step up to the plate.

THIS IS ALL GOOD INFORMATION AND I WOULD BE VERY INTERESTED IN MEETING UP WITH YOU AND WHOMEVER ELSE MIGHT BE INTERESTED TO GO OVER AT LEAST BASIC MAINTENANCE, ETC. I ALREADY CAN CHANGE MY OWN OIL AND CHECK FLUIDS, I WOULD BE MOST INTERESTED IN OTHER MAINTENANCE TOPICS FROM MY INITIAL POST. NOT SURE WHAT ELSE I CAN DO TO CONTRIBUTE TO SOMETHING LIKE THIS. IF WAL-MART LETS PEOPLE CAMP IN THEIR PARKING LOT I'M SURE THEY WOULDN'T MIND US HANGING OUT IN ONE (FAR FROM THE STORE OF COURSE) TO CHAT ABOUT THIS STUFF. I ALSO LIVE IN A CUL-DE-SAC AND COULD HAVE ROOM FOR A FEW VEHICLES BUT NOT SURE MY NEIGHBORS WOULD APPRECIATE THAT (HAHA). LET ME KNOW - I AM VERY MUCH INTERESTED IN SOMETHING LIKE THIS!

Last Online
    April 9th, 2015
    4x4
    Jeep Rubicon Unltd. 2014
    User Name
    Don Ruby 14 CR
    Real Name
    Don
    Thanks Given

I AM ALSO PARTICULARLY INTERESTED IN KNOWING WHAT (IF ANY) ZERK FITTINGS ARE PRESENT ON A 2ND GEN (2012) XTERRA? I'VE CHECKED A COUPLE OF XTERRA FORUMS AND THEY SEEM TO INDICATE THERE (MAY) BE ON ON A PROPELLER JOINT OR SOMETHING, AND THAT OTHERWISE THERE ARE NO ZERK FITTINGS. IF THIS IS THE CASE, WHAT IF ANYTHING ARE YOU SUPPOSED TO DO YOURSELF TO KEEP YOUR TRUCK LUBED UP PROPERLY, OTHER THAN TAKING IT TO THE DEALER FOR SERVICING AND HOPING THEY ACTUALLY DO THEIR JOB (CHOKE...)?

Last Online
    June 13th, 2018
    4x4
    05 Land Rover LR3, 01 Discovery
    User Name
    Brad
    Real Name
    Brad
    Thanks Given

Isn't your truck still under warranty?

Last Online
    August 21st, 2020
    4x4
    2011 4dr Rubicon
    User Name
    glacierpaul
    Real Name
    Paul
    Thanks Given

If we ever have such a meet and great and basic maintenance get together, I can provide ample space at my big parking lot. Then we could wheel Yankee or any number of trails up here, just an offer.

10. The Following Member Says Thanks to glacierpaul For This Post:

Jackie (July 5th, 2013)

Last Online
    April 9th, 2015
    4x4
    Jeep Rubicon Unltd. 2014
    User Name
    Don Ruby 14 CR
    Real Name
    Don
    Thanks Given

Isn't your truck still under warranty?

YES IT IS, BUT I BELIEVE IN GOING ABOVE AND BEYOND - ESPECIALLY WHEN SOME DEALERS MAY NOT EVEN BE DOING THE MAINTENANCE YOU PAY THEM FOR. THIS IS ALSO MY FIRST 4WD VEHICLE AND ITS PRETTY MUCH MY DREAM TRUCK. SO I DON'T WANT TO LEAVE ANYTHING TO CHANCE. PREVENTIVE MAINTENANCE WILL HOPEFULLY KEEP ME FROM EVEN HAVING TO USE THE WARRANTY. I ALSO WOULD RATHER NOT RISK A PART GOING BAD AFTER THE WARRANTY MIGHT BE UP DUE TO A LACK OF PREVENTIVE MAINTENANCE.

Last Online
    April 9th, 2015
    4x4
    Jeep Rubicon Unltd. 2014
    User Name
    Don Ruby 14 CR
    Real Name
    Don
    Thanks Given

if we ever have such a meet and great and basic maintenance get together, I can provide ample space at my big parking lot. Then we could wheel Yankee or any number of trails up here, just an offer.

I KNOW I WOULD BE THERE AS LONG AS IT WAS OVER A WEEKEND. I GUESS THE TRICK IS GETTING ENOUGH TAKERS.

Last Online
    June 13th, 2018
    4x4
    User Name
    Brad
    Real Name
    Brad
    Thanks Given

I work at a VW dealership, that's why I ask. If something is making noise and you only have 7k on the clock take it in. If they didn't want you going offroad they should not sell 4x4's. hold the manufacturer accountable until your warranty is up. I am all for maintenance and improving on their design but in the interim, make them fix noises. I do plenty of that as VW has a 12/12 policy for rattles ans squeeks. Longer if I can prove there is a failed part or defect causing the noise.

Just a FYI, all caps is yelling in text. I find it funny but some may take offense.

Last Online
    April 9th, 2015
    4x4
    Jeep Rubicon Unltd. 2014
    User Name
    Don Ruby 14 CR
    Real Name
    Don
    Thanks Given

Brad previously posted:
    "I work at a VW dealership, that's why I ask. If something is making noise and you only have 7k on the clock take it in. If they didn't want you going offroad they should not sell 4x4's. hold the manufacturer accountable until your warranty is up. I am all for maintenance and improving on their design but in the interim, make them fix noises. I do plenty of that as VW has a 12/12 policy for rattles ans squeeks. Longer if I can prove there is a failed part or defect causing the noise.

Just a FYI, all caps is yelling in text. I find it funny but some may take offense. "

I figured out that my front sway bar was missing one bolt, which also holds on my radiator skid plate. The other bolt on the same side was stripped for some reason but thankfully the threads on the frame were not. So now I've just had to rack my brain as to where I can find automotive grade bolts to replace them. I think this may have been caused by a little incident I call "Montezuma's Revenge", which you can read about if you want under a post of the same name. But I have since replaced the sway bar without the skid plate, relubed the bushings around it and it drives like a swiss watch!

I ONLY USE CAPS TO DISTINGUISH MY RESPONSE FROM THE MESSAGE I AM RESPONDING TO - NO YELLING HERE (HAHA)!!!

Last Online
    June 13th, 2018
    4x4
    User Name
    Brad
    Real Name
    Brad
    Thanks Given

I bet the factory bolts aren't that expensive. Give Nissan a call. If they are let me know, I might be able to get my employee discount at Larry miller Nissan off C470.

Last Online
    April 9th, 2015
    4x4
    Jeep Rubicon Unltd. 2014
    User Name
    Don Ruby 14 CR
    Real Name
    Don
    Thanks Given

I bet the factory bolts aren't that expensive. Give Nissan a call. If they are let me know, I might be able to get my employee discount at Larry miller Nissan off C470.

Thanks a lot for the offer. I actually called Nissan in Centennial and if you can believe it, apparently Nissan physically has SIX, yes, SIX of these bolts in their possession in the entire U.S. They were going to order them for me at around $5-6 each, but I ended up ordering a few on my own on-line and through Fastenal for around the same price, both of which should also arrive quicker than Nissan.

Last Online
    May 13th, 2019
    4x4
    '92 Range Rover
    User Name
    Funrover
    Real Name
    Aaron
    Thanks Given

Just a general go through before/after a trip is good. As you get out more and work on your own rig more you will get to know what is out of place and what doesn't feel right. T answer your bearing question, the Xterra has unit bearings. They are an entire assemble at the end of your axle ( http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/more...330&cc=1501718 ) These type are non-servicable. When they go out you have to replace the entire unit. Trust me you will know. Little items like what you found with the missing bolt is more a matter of getting some time in and getting to know your rig.

What I do after a harder trail/event is look for "shine" I look for where I have hit a rock. Make sure there were no punctures of pin holes created. I also look for shine such as a bolt that has broke. Anything look to be hanging lower? Just little things like that. However I do find things while doing preventive maint.

Last Online
    December 23rd, 2023
    4x4
    2006 Jeep LJ
    User Name
    Java
    Real Name
    Paul
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,788 Times in 1,261 Posts

I did some of this yesterday to the front of my Jeep, today or tommorow I'll do the rear. A minute into MSV I took a stupid line on the guardian rocks and have had a bad sound since, found a loose bolt on the upper driver's control arm that seems to have shut things up, on the street atleast. I'm guessing it was already a little loose and the trail found it, as trails will. Bent my engine skid too, but I kinda like the new "high clearance" design, I'm leaving it for now. A lucky thing was that I found a torn grease boot on my tierod that was oozing grease but not empty. I put some foil tape on it and will replace it today, really glad I found it at this point as a leaky boot and not as a dry end that snaps on the trail!!

Last Online
    December 3rd, 2023
    4x4
    1990 Cherokee
    User Name
    Hypoid
    Real Name
    Mike
    Thanks Given

A service manual will give the information that is specific to your vehicle.

Last Online
    December 23rd, 2023
    4x4
    2006 Jeep LJ
    User Name
    Java
    Real Name
    Paul
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,788 Times in 1,261 Posts

I keep the Haynes manual in my offroad tool bag, and I'm not too proud to use it! I gotta say that one thing I love about having a Jeep is the ridiculous amount of aftermarket items available for it. I ordered a new tierod dust boot and got to choose between urethane or rubber, and from a few different colors from a few different vendors; pretty much everything for a wrangler is like that.