4x4
    97 Dodge CTD, 85 4R, 89 YJ, 04 Kawasaki Mule
    User Name
    Brucker
    Real Name
    Aaron Brucker
    Thanks Given

Default Re: Rebuilding an '85 Toyota Pickup

Bent some fender bars, marked their relative location on the inner fenders, then cut a hole for a connecting tube.

Then tack welded the fender tube and the connecting tube between the fender and the shock hoop into place on both sides.

Then added the lower fender tube (really just a big gusset) on both sides:

Last Online
    September 7th, 2017
    4x4
    1975 Bronco Denver Edition
    User Name
    EKXJ87
    Real Name
    Steve
    Thanks Given

Nice work, I really like that you went under the front fenders with the tubing. Kind of nice working on your own stuff huh?
    I have to ask how did you get the exo cage back on? PLAN "B" I hope LOL

3. The Following Member Says Thanks to EKXJ87 For This Post:

Brucker (October 4th, 2016)

Last Online
    4 Hours Ago
    4x4
    2004 Rubicon
    User Name
    Kurtis
    Real Name
    Kurtis Newsom
    Thanks Given

You do some amazing work I like how you're keeping the stock look of the Toyota!

Last Online
    August 31st, 2019
    4x4
    1978 Bronco
    User Name
    Cr33p3r
    Real Name
    Sean
    Thanks Given

Truck sure has changed since I first met you on the trail.

Last Online
    August 28th, 2022
    4x4
    User Name
    Brucker
    Real Name
    Aaron Brucker
    Thanks Given

Cr33p3r previously posted:
    "Truck sure has changed since I first met you on the trail."

was going to be a smart ass and reply that it hasn't changed that much, but I guess it really has...

Last Online
    August 28th, 2022
    4x4
    User Name
    Brucker
    Real Name
    Aaron Brucker
    Thanks Given

In our haste to get everything accomplished on the list before our Grand Junction trip, so photos weren't taken. Which is kinda a bummer as the truck doesn't look the same after our Grand Junction trip (check out the trip report for more info...). But more on that later.

We added more gusseting between the A pillar and the B pillar and added a few more solid body mounts. Then moved onto the last major issue we are going to tackle before the trip. Ditching the carb for something that will run better. We chose to run a LP (propane) system. We don't honestly care if this rig is to be able to be street legal, so please say those questions. We chose this route as it seems to be the simplest, cheapest, and cleanest way to get easily tuned "fuel injection". This will come into play more at a later date when we tackle the "more power' issue by adding a turbo into the system.

We chose the company that provided our kit for a couple of reasons that they ended up not living up to. Not only did the parts not ship when promised, but were delivered with less than 12 hours remaining before we were to depart for Grand Junction. The owner of said company really didn't care when called and asked about the issue. Which is unfortunate as we probably won't be ordering from them again, based on this whole ordeal, and in the end, their product really does work well. When the parts arrived, at quick glance all the necessary parts looked to be in the box. So we made the decision to install the kit as it is only supposed to take 5-6 hours of labor to fully install. And this would be accurate if the parts were all the correct sizes. And if you didn't need to fabricate every required mount. The kit was supposed to be 22R specific, but seemed more of an universal one. Everything was correct except for the coolant fittings and hoses that were supplied. Toyota uses a metric sized heater hose that has an ID between 5/8" and 3/4". The kit came with 3/8" fittings and 1/2" heater hose. After a few trips to the store, we were able to make it work. And work it does. Very impressed with how simple the entire system is, and how well the truck idles and runs at any angle. It also proved to be VERY fuel efficient.

Here is the system as it arrived:

Here is the engine bay with the stock carb setup, just look at all those vacuum lines:

And with the new LP system installed:

And with the truck assembled and running once again, we loaded onto the trailer and headed out to Junction.

Here is a couple photos of the completed rig:

Last Online
    4 Hours Ago
    4x4
    1990 Jeep Wrangler (YJ)
    User Name
    Jim
    Real Name
    Jim Williamson
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 3,008 Times in 2,005 Posts

You'll enjoy how clean your motor oil will stay with the LP system.

I like the clean look to the cage in the last pic.

9. The Following Member Says Thanks to Jim For This Post:

Brucker (October 5th, 2016)

Last Online
    August 28th, 2022
    4x4
    User Name
    Brucker
    Real Name
    Aaron Brucker
    Thanks Given

EKXJ87 previously posted:
    "Nice work, I really like that you went under the front fenders with the tubing. Kind of nice working on your own stuff huh?
    I have to ask how did you get the exo cage back on? PLAN "B" I hope LOL"

Thanks. And yes, "plan B" was used. Made sure I got some help this time before everyone went home.

Last Online
    August 12th, 2021
    4x4
    Fj40
    User Name
    White Stripe
    Real Name
    Michael
    Thanks Given

Really nice work. Just read your whole thread. How do u like the maxis tires? It looks like the shackle on the front suspension needs to be longer or the mounting point on the frame needs to be moved back an inch or so. Your springs will likely break being forced to buckle like that. They are trying to flatten out but the shackle isn't providing enough movement.
    Brucker previously posted:
    "With the steering and new springs installed it was time to take it out for some flex testing and make sure everything is working properly. The height is as expected, a touch tall in the front. But as mentioned, the springs still need to be worn in some and we will be adding more weight up front. Flexed out the front and then the rear. Everything clears and flexes as it should. Nothing like being able to get any tire off the ground just over 41" before any other tire starts to lift. Yes, 41" on leaf springs... May even need to limit the travel some now...

Front springs are twisting and bending like no other. Not sure how long they will last like this:

"

Last Online
    August 28th, 2022
    4x4
    User Name
    Brucker
    Real Name
    Aaron Brucker
    Thanks Given

White Stripe previously posted:
    "Really nice work. Just read your whole thread. How do u like the maxis tires? It looks like the shackle on the front suspension needs to be longer or the mounting point on the frame needs to be moved back an inch or so. Your springs will likely break being forced to buckle like that. They are trying to flatten out but the shackle isn't providing enough movement."

Thanks! The whole thread? Wow. Must have been frustrating trying to follow along with more than half the pages not showing the photos anymore. Though, one could always find them on my website or company FB page if they cared to.

The tires are better than the Super Swamper ISUX by leaps and bounds, but they are no sticky.

If you did read the whole thing you might have caught the part where I have gone through springs in the front. But it has nothing to do with the length, that is 100% correct and would be happy to hand you the tape measure for you to double check my work. It has to do with me using them past their designed limitations. The photo you used for reference clearly shows the spring pack bent past flat. This has caused the distortion in the pack coupled with the extreme angle the axle is in relation to the frame and mounts. And yes, this will lead to early failure, hence the new custom springs packs to begin with. I could help this situation some by installing bumpstops to limit the articulation, but that just seems like a lot of work

Last Online
    July 26th, 2020
    4x4
    sami buggy
    User Name
    redneck23ms
    Real Name
    alex
    Thanks Given

while the springs bending backwards like that will definitely wear them out faster. they should last a while. its not like they are bending that far every day. Aaron doesn't get out of the shop long enough to break them in much less break them. the truck worked great in Grand junction. other than the window and doors and the whole knuckle falling off ordeal lol. can't wait to see the shop truck on the trail again.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456