97 Dodge CTD, 85 4R, 89 YJ, 04 Kawasaki Mule
    User Name
    Brucker
    Real Name
    Aaron Brucker
    Thanks Given

Default Re: Rebuilding an '85 Toyota Pickup

1freaky1 previously posted:
    "Yeah I have checked them out and most of what they have a the basic square style tanks, I am looking to do one that will fit in the stock location but mount 3" higher in the frame, The last ranger I had I built one that was a 20 gal tank but since I am not supposed to be welding any longer I am outsourcing the work."

Why, may I ask, are you not allowed to weld any longer? I would go insane if I couldn't melt stuff together anymore. I go to my happy place when the hood gets flipped down. Everything is simple and makes sense in Weldingland. Or is it Welding World?

Last Online
    August 31st, 2019
    4x4
    1978 Bronco
    User Name
    Cr33p3r
    Real Name
    Sean
    Thanks Given

I am the same way nothing clears the brain better than burning thru some steel. I have emphysema now after 30+ years of welding and painting. I have tried to continue a few times but heck a 1/2 hour welding and I pay for it for a week or end up like last time with pneumonia. It put me in a depression for about 4 months knowing I am not supposed to do it anymore. Welding is the one thing I truly love doing in life!

Last Online
    August 28th, 2022
    4x4
    User Name
    Brucker
    Real Name
    Aaron Brucker
    Thanks Given

Sorry to hear. That would be rough. Have you tried using a respirator? Or a positive pressure clean air setup? Are you able to do much other fabrication anymore? I would assume things like grinding would be a no-no, but what about machining parts? Or is that still to toxic?

Last Online
    August 31st, 2019
    4x4
    1978 Bronco
    User Name
    Cr33p3r
    Real Name
    Sean
    Thanks Given

Thanks can't do the respirator cause i cannot push enough air out of the lungs, A positive air flow would probably help more than not having one. I still can fab stuff up, and yes grinding isn't a good idea either but the larger particles usually don't make it into the lungs. As for maching I don't have the equipment to do that any longer sold my milling machine about three years ago.

Sorry for hi-jacking your build thread by the way!

Last Online
    August 28th, 2022
    4x4
    User Name
    Brucker
    Real Name
    Aaron Brucker
    Thanks Given

1freaky1 previously posted:
    "Thanks can't do the respirator cause i cannot push enough air out of the lungs, A positive air flow would probably help more than not having one. I still can fab stuff up, and yes grinding isn't a good idea either but the larger particles usually don't make it into the lungs. As for maching I don't have the equipment to do that any longer sold my milling machine about three years ago.

Sorry for hi-jacking your build thread by the way!"

No worries. This thread was just about some stupid truck before you posted. Truly sorry to hear, I can't even begin to imagine.

Last Online
    August 28th, 2022
    4x4
    User Name
    Brucker
    Real Name
    Aaron Brucker
    Thanks Given

Finally received in a shipment of winches that weren't all spoken for yet, so I decided it was as good of a time as any to install one onto the bumper I just finished. Opted for the Smittybilt XRC8 with the optional synthetic winch line. It has an 8000 lbs capacity which is well over twice the weight of the full loaded Toyota. And not only is it very reasonable on the pocketbook, with the synthetic line, it comes in at only 63lbs fully loaded. A weight savings of over 26lbs than the steel cable. And the synthetic line is 40% stronger than a steel cable of the same size.

We have been running the same winches on receiver hitch mounts for the past two years with great success on a couple of our trailers and other rigs. Looking forward to having this as yet another weapon in our recovery arsenal.

Here is the winch after being freshly unpacked:

Of course I have to tweak everything and add my little twist to everything. So I made one little change to the setup. Here is the aluminum hawse fair lead that is supplied with the winch.

We will be leaving this one off in favor of an old school one we are quite fond of. Bringing a little history with us. Had this fairlead since '02 and my days with Carnage Crew. The stories this fairlead would tell if it could. Like the many times we spent playing "Tag" in our rigs . Maybe it is better it can not speak...

Started the process by taking the bumper off the vehicle with the help of the overhead electric hoist.

Removed the front grill and existing quick connect winch wiring. Then mounted the winch to the bumper and used the overhead electric hoist again to help mount the bumper back onto the truck. Nice tight fit to both the bumper and to the body and frame.

Then I was able to run the new wiring through the front clip/radiator support and then to the battery.

Last Online
    August 28th, 2022
    4x4
    User Name
    Brucker
    Real Name
    Aaron Brucker
    Thanks Given

With the winch and bumper mounted once again on the truck, I was able to take the couple of measurements I needed in order to trim the grill. Once I double checked my numbers and math I trimmed the grill to fit using a air powered cut off tool.

Then I quickly reinstalled it and checked my clearances. Everything looked good. Plenty tight to the winch, yet provides ample room for easy use of the winch controls.

Reinstalled the Hella's. From a distance, you can barely tell the grill has been modified.

And last but not least I took it outside and installed the synthetic winch line making sure to properly preload it onto the drum. The winch line was preloaded to the drum using the vehicle's own weight after the first complete wrap of the drum. This creates tension with the drum and not the eyelet or small set screw holding it in place. The first complete wrap against the drum is sleeved to help against abrasion (same style of sleeve as webbing commonly used near the hook end) and slippage. Then the line is very neatly wound on each layer as to help from knotting, all while under tension.

Really digging how high and tight we were able to keep everything. Looks pretty good in the daylight, but then again I am fairly biased.

Last Online
    December 19th, 2020
    4x4
    2008 FJ Cruiser/1982 FJ40
    User Name
    Rob
    Real Name
    Rob
    Thanks Given

Nice. I like the googly-eyed face it now makes.

Last Online
    4 Hours Ago
    4x4
    03 Ranger FX4
    User Name
    The StRanger
    Real Name
    Sam
    Thanks Given

A lot better than what you started with !

Last Online
    August 28th, 2022
    4x4
    User Name
    Brucker
    Real Name
    Aaron Brucker
    Thanks Given

Rob previously posted:
    "Nice. I like the googly-eyed face it now makes."

The StRanger previously posted:
    "A lot better than what you started with !"

Thanks guys!

Another update. Needed a new and better storage option for the universal receiver hitch winch mount.

We like having the option of winching from the rear of our little blue shop truck. Hence why we have the rear wired with quick connects for a winch power supply. We also like not having to carry around all that extra weight all the time. Hence why the rear winch is on a receiver hitch mount.

We wanted a better storage option for the winch when not in use. Sure we could just leave it the hitch, but it destroys the departure angle and adds a bunch of weight far behind the rear axle. To solve these issues we will be installing another receiver style mount in the bed for securely holding the assemble when it's not needed.

Started by disassembling the rear body panels for better access. Then welded in a plate to the bottom of the toolbox mount and just behind the center support. This will put the winch assembly right over the rear axle when being stored.

Then welded a length of receiver tube to both the plate and to the center support. And finished the new mount off with some black paint:

With the winch assemble secured in it's new mount:

View from the back:

With the pivoting tire carrier in it's lowest position. Notice how it protects and hides the winch. Won't even see it's there with the the side panels on:

You can easily notice it with the tire carrier in one of the higher positions:

But not at all with the tire carrier in the lowest:

Last Online
    February 9th, 2016
    4x4
    88 ExtraCab
    User Name
    88Toy
    Real Name
    Les
    Thanks Given

Sweet Rig!!! Lots of innovation and incredible attention to detail! Can't wait to see it live.

Last Online
    March 16th, 2016
    4x4
    11' Xterra Pro4X
    User Name
    zukrider
    Real Name
    Joe
    Thanks Given

Nice. Great work. You could even mount the winch in the bed under the tool box for good and run the line out the back. Would really save bodily wear and tear!

Last Online
    August 28th, 2022
    4x4
    User Name
    Brucker
    Real Name
    Aaron Brucker
    Thanks Given

88Toy previously posted:
    "Sweet Rig!!! Lots of innovation and incredible attention to detail! Can't wait to see it live."

zukrider previously posted:
    "Nice. Great work. You could even mount the winch in the bed under the tool box for good and run the line out the back. Would really save bodily wear and tear!"

Thanks for the kind words.

Zukrider- you are correct stating there would be enough room under the tool box to mount the winch. Although, there would not be room for the cable as the fuel cell is in the way. I mean, where there is a will there is a way, but routing the winch line would be a nightmare. Also, it would require me to carry the extra weight of it at all times. And as I previously stated, that is something I do NOT want to do. Part of the purpose of the rig was to be "lightweight". My experience has taught me that if I want Toyota axles to hold up to dual cases and 37" tires, the rig needs to light. Best examples I can give is that I have broken axle 3 front shafts/joints this year in this truck. Two of which were Longfields. Every break happened while fully loaded with trail spares, tools, extra winch, other recovery gear, etc. While I have wheeled the same lines harder while being lightly loaded, only a few spares and the minimal amount of tooling, and didn't break.

Another reason behind keeping the extra, or rear, winch easily removable, is that I use it frequently with my trailers and on other vehicles. Nothing makes loading a disabled or parts vehicle/equipment onto a trailer all by yourself, quicker, easier, and cheaper than a good winch setup. That is unless there is a large forklift around. But I am not able to bring those with me everywhere.

Hope this helps explain as to why I have the rear winch removable.

Last Online
    March 16th, 2016
    4x4
    11' Xterra Pro4X
    User Name
    zukrider
    Real Name
    Joe
    Thanks Given

no explanation necessary! i understand all to well. my first decade of wheeling was in Samurais. Light isnt an option, its required!

im working the gears on getting back to Zuks with a 2 door sidekick. im planning to work out a way to run a center mounted winch with front and rear availability. should be real useful once done.

i like the overall feung shue of your build. my kick will be very similar.

Last Online
    August 28th, 2022
    4x4
    User Name
    Brucker
    Real Name
    Aaron Brucker
    Thanks Given

Well, wouldn't you know it. Two years after busting our humps to get this rig modified right before a Grand Junction trip, and we are doing it again, right before another Grand junction trip. Wheeling this shop truck over the past few years has brought to light a few key issues. And while it has been fun being the "little" guy out among the buggies, we figured a couple updates wouldn't hurt. First major issue is that it isn't fuel injected. This makes keeping the rig running at steep angles in any direction a challenge. Second is steering. The stock power steering just doesn't cut it in the rocks. Third is tires. Just do not like the Iroks. They don't climb or hold a line while wet (or really any other time) and there are such better tires out there. Fourth, is protection. The bed cage just wasn't instilling the confidence needed in order to drive certain lines. Sure the stock cab and bed cage are enough (if you don't care about body damage) to protect you in a slow roll over as we have proved multiple times. But it doesn't offer much for any real hard hits. Also the front bumper, front fenders, and sliders all need some trimming. The fenders and bumper for tire clearance, and the sliders for trail clearance. They are still leftovers from the previous owner, stick out WAY too far, and have bugged us since day one. It's finally time to do something about them. And the final thing we hope to address will be the power. The stock 96HP the 22R produces is pretty pathetic even with all the gearing available. We hope to help this issue soon, but probably not before our Grand Junction trip...

Pulled the little blue shop truck in to finally install a hydro assist set up we have been meaning to get to for the past couple of years. Yes, years. Clients come first and when we actually get time to work of the rig, we end up taking it out and playing with it instead. You should see the pile of parts that have accumulated over the years for personal projects. It's half the reason the shop is so full....

Hydro kit:

Anywho, there has been a weird noise for quite a long time. At least most of this season. And finally discovered the culprit. Knew the front springs were twisted and bent, but didn't realize it had actually broken another one.

This makes 3 total since finished rebuilding it. First two we were able to steal a couple springs from other sets. We don't have that luxury anymore. Needless to say, we ordered two new complete spring packs this afternoon. Probably run into a height issue with the back, but will deal with that once the time comes.

While waiting on the springs, we removed and cleaned up the existing steering box. This is a IFS mini truck box that is commonly used. Once it was cleaned up, we drilled and tapped the box for a pressure line and for a return.

Then removed all the other steering components and welded on the new tabs/brackets for the ram, and then gave everything a coat of paint and reassembled.

Before:

After:

As you can see in the last photo, the ram/tie rod can not rotate back far enough to clear the drag link and the spring plate and U bolts. This is due to the front axle being moved farther forward that "stock". We will need to modify the driver side spring plate and U bolts to achieve proper angles for the ram.

Last Online
    August 28th, 2022
    4x4
    User Name
    Brucker
    Real Name
    Aaron Brucker
    Thanks Given

The new springs arrived. Bought a set of Skyjacker Soft Ride 4" lift springs meant for the rear of a 89-94 Toyota P/U. This should be close to the same height as the custom packs that were on it, should be. Here are the new springs and bushings as they arrived:

Then we removed the overload and added a couple leafs from a different pack to get us close to the proper height. If anything it will be a tad higher in the front before the springs are able to settle. This will also help with the extra weight we are planning on adding...

And here are the freshly assembled spring packs next to a original pack:

With the springs ready to go back in, we heavily modify the spring plate in order to accommodate shorter U-Bolts. Then install the new hardware and components. You can see the ram now clears:

Routed the hoses up and out of the way:

Last Online
    August 28th, 2022
    4x4
    User Name
    Brucker
    Real Name
    Aaron Brucker
    Thanks Given

With the steering and new springs installed it was time to take it out for some flex testing and make sure everything is working properly. The height is as expected, a touch tall in the front. But as mentioned, the springs still need to be worn in some and we will be adding more weight up front. Flexed out the front and then the rear. Everything clears and flexes as it should. Nothing like being able to get any tire off the ground just over 41" before any other tire starts to lift. Yes, 41" on leaf springs... May even need to limit the travel some now...

Front springs are twisting and bending like no other. Not sure how long they will last like this:

Last Online
    3 Hours Ago
    4x4
    1990 Jeep Wrangler (YJ)
    User Name
    Jim
    Real Name
    Jim Williamson
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 3,008 Times in 2,005 Posts

Interesting spring plate.

Thx for the pix - fun to watch.

19. The Following Member Says Thanks to Jim For This Post:

Brucker (September 15th, 2016)

Last Online
    August 28th, 2022
    4x4
    User Name
    Brucker
    Real Name
    Aaron Brucker
    Thanks Given

One issue and one unforeseen problem down. Next up, tires. Decided on running some 37" Maxxis Creepy Crawlers that we had on another rig here in the shop. So the fun begins of dismounting two sets of tires from beadlocks and then mounting one set back back together.

The Maxxis being disassembled:

Both sets dismounted

Then painted the wheels and rings since they were apart. And started the mounting process. Used air soft pellets inside each wheel for balancing.

Put back together with the new tires. Amazing how stiff these sidewalls are. These tires are already broken in and yet there is little bulge even with only 8# in the front and 5# in the rear:

Last Online
    August 28th, 2022
    4x4
    User Name
    Brucker
    Real Name
    Aaron Brucker
    Thanks Given

Jim previously posted:
    "Interesting spring plate."

Admittedly not the prettiest of my fixes, but was quick and is VERY strong and will do the trick.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast