2006 Jeep LJ
    User Name
    Java
    Real Name
    Paul
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,788 Times in 1,261 Posts

Default Water Heater Help

Today is water heater day, but odd thing happenned- I turned off the heater, shut the water supply to it and drained it. A few minutes later my bathtub upstairs started running, just a slow stream of cold water. WTF? why would turning water off to the heater cause that? I opened a hot water tap in the basement and ran it out first before the tub started to run. When I turned the water supply back on to the heater the tub stopped running. It is the type of tub faucet that doesn't have a flow control, just a mix- ie, it's on or off, you just control the amount of water, and it's pretty new, about 2 years. I'm guessing it's the valve, maybe it's dependent on pressure from both supply lines to shut off? I'm hoping it's just a quirk that will go away with the new heater, it never happenned before I shut the old one off...

Last Online
    November 21st, 2023
    4x4
    4Runner
    User Name
    Chris
    Real Name
    Chris
    Thanks Given

Default Re: Water Heater Help

Nothing to worry about Paul, sounds like friendly ghosts...

Last Online
    June 13th, 2018
    4x4
    05 Land Rover LR3, 01 Discovery
    User Name
    Brad
    Real Name
    Brad
    Thanks Given

Shut off the main water supply to the house.

Last Online
    June 9th, 2023
    4x4
    14 gmc sierra
    User Name
    Rick
    Real Name
    Rick and Lorraine(Rain)
    Thanks Given

Paul previously posted:
    "pressure"

my bet

Last Online
    40 Minutes Ago
    4x4
    1990 Jeep Wrangler (YJ)
    User Name
    Jim
    Real Name
    Jim Williamson
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 3,008 Times in 2,005 Posts

I'll go with it's one of the "non-scalding" pressure valves. When someone flushes the toilet the shower valve will slightly adjust so that overly hot water doesn't come out for that moment.

Last Online
    2 Hours Ago
    4x4
    Jeep Cherokee XJ
    User Name
    xaza
    Real Name
    Cliff
    Thanks Given

x2 on the scald safety valve. Not too familiar with them being the maintenance for most of our properties take care of the simple plumbing like that in house. Have never seen one that relied on pressure from both sides to close. Could have an issue there that is small now but could develop and get worse. If the cold water can push through, then with faucet off it could be bleeding cold water into the hot side and vice versa, depending on where there is more pressure. For instance, the water is at a stop at shower faucet, you open a cold water valve reducing pressure on that side allowing the hot water then to push through faucet into cold. Typically when I run into these issues it is cold water bleeding into hot preventing hot water coils from properly heating.

Cesare Pavese

Last Online
    December 23rd, 2023
    4x4
    2006 Jeep LJ
    User Name
    Java
    Real Name
    Paul
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,788 Times in 1,261 Posts

Thanks for the replies- it was pressure / the valve making the tub do that (good call Rick Jim & Cliff!) (Bad Call, Chris, not a ghost!!!), no big deal, went away after I turned the house water back on (good call, Brad) and refilled the heater. this started because Denver Water broke a watermain this morning and my water was cloudy... before I knew it was Denver Water I checked around my house for problems and found a ton of corrosion on top of my water heater. A couple of years ago I had a furnace replaced and heard a BANG while they were doing it. As a "courtesy" they replaced the stems on my hot water heater and one of the supply lines which they said they had noticed were getting ready to go (???), I figured they backed into and broke one while working on the furnace, they're right next to each other, and were trying to fix it without saying anything. which was fine since they were really nice and did a good job and were taking care of the problem... so I thought. It passed inspection and I haven't thought about it until today when I saw the corrosion. Turns out they replaced the stems with 6" galvanized pipe... as soon as I shut the water off to the old heater the shut off valve sprung a leak. :( I had to replace about 6' of copper and the shut off valve to bet rid of the nasty crap in it. I actually replaced everything I could, water supplies, new gas emergency valve and connections, and some of the vent while I was at it. The old heater was from 1993, figured everything else was too. On the plus side, it took less than 5 minutes for some guy in a truck to take the old one out of my alley after I put it out, must be something good inside!

Last Online
    August 21st, 2020
    4x4
    2011 4dr Rubicon
    User Name
    glacierpaul
    Real Name
    Paul
    Thanks Given

Temp & Pressure balancing valves the newest in home safety, well sorta new. Delta originated it.