4x4
    95' Bronco
    User Name
    Fordguy77
    Real Name
    Christopher
    Thanks Given

Java previously posted:
    "What year Taurus has one big fan? I ask because I just did a waterpump on my 2003 Taurus this weekend and it has two small ones, not one large one."

By big it is meant in terms of CFPM, and tarus fans pump some pretty good cfpm. It is however a dual fan set up, but its one unit.

Sent from my myTouch_4G_Slide using Tapatalk 2

Sent from my myTouch_4G_Slide using Tapatalk 2

Last Online
    February 28th, 2018
    4x4
    95' Bronco
    User Name
    Fordguy77
    Real Name
    Christopher
    Thanks Given

Default Re: electric fan conversion??

mattzj98 previously posted:
    "so i wonder if i can just somehow add that Fan as a secondary and wire to a switch.. but where to put it? how to mount.. so many questions.. seems so simple"

Spend a few bucks and wiring gets a little more simple. With electric motors on DC current, you can change the wiring to make a fan either a pusher or a puller, so you can adapt them to be used on either side of the radiator. The only issue with that is if the design of the fan will a low it to move air like that. With a little time even it can be adjusted and be corrected to work.
    Heres a link to a wiring kit:
    http://www.summitracing.com/parts/PRF-30114/

They can get more or less expensive depending on what you wanna do. Hope that helps Matt.

Last Online
    August 9th, 2012
    User Name
    Brody
    Real Name
    Pete Brody

Nice write up here:

http://www.higherground4x4.com/Tech%20Cooling.htm

And more information here:

http://www.jeepz.com/forum/cj-yj-tj-...rd-option.html

If you need more information that what I just added to the huge list that Jim Williamson posted to understand how to do this rather simple add on, then you pretty much need to hire someone to do it for you. There is stuff all over the internet, no matter what 'fan/Jeep' combination you google.

Wow, somehow completely missed Jim's post.. thanks Pete and Jim..

Chris, ill take a look at some fans and see how it can be wired, thanks

Last Online
    August 9th, 2012
    User Name
    Brody
    Real Name
    Pete Brody

You should be dealing with just a + and - wire unless you are wiring in a thermostat. Not much more to it than wiring in a light or CB. I never bothered to run more than a simple in line fuse, but I suppose you could wire in a relay if the fan is going to be running for long periods of time. I just bump mine on and off, so a fuse has worked fine.

In addition to the vents and additional fan, you can also scavenge a reservoir and pump for a windshield washer (from pretty much anything), and grab the sprayer parts. Rig the power source the same way, again dealing with just a + and -, to a switch(using a momentary on switch that you have to hold in the 'on' position), plumb the sprayer part so that it sprays down or up onto the front of the radiator, fill it with plain water, and when the temps starts to rise, simply hose some water onto the radiator. This also works well. If you can't find a sprayer nozzle that works for you, grab some small brass tubing that fits the rubber hose and dimple the center with a small screwdriver so that it 'sprays'. This was common on a lot of the older van sprayers, BTW.

Hope that this helps.

Last Online
    March 1st, 2014
    4x4
    '87 Chevy V20
    User Name
    Popsgarage
    Real Name
    Jonathan E Epp
    Thanks Given

Brody previously posted:
    "A lot of people do both...as well as turning the heater on when the engine starts running hot. That last has only been common practice for 60 years or more..."

Still do that every time I come home from Aspen. Every hill I pull. Not really sure if it's necessary, but all the S-10 has is an idiot light and better to be safe than sorry.

Last Online
    December 19th, 2012
    4x4
    1989 Jeep Wrangler
    User Name
    Meatloaf
    Real Name
    Kyle
    Thanks Given

FYI I would go without the thermostat. I've got one in mine, and really don't need it. Put a switch in the dash so you can turn it on and off. Having it run 100% of the time will not hurt anything. Will save you some money.

Last Online
    December 3rd, 2023
    4x4
    1990 Cherokee
    User Name
    Hypoid
    Real Name
    Mike
    Thanks Given

Apples and oranges!

A thermal switch can cycle after you shut the engine off and the internal temps spike. With the thermostat open, and the fan running, convection cycles the coolant, stabilizing engine temps.

+1 for relays! I just can't think of any good reason to route that many amps into the passenger compartment, when the device used is not mounted in the passenger compartment. One of my favorite places to find relays is the cooling fan circuit on JY cars. You get a nice high-amp relay for cheap!

i might of missed it but are you running a clutch fan ? if so maybe just switch for solid ..

i might be late to the show ..this is my findings . i have fought hand to hand with cooling . i have run without a hood installed thinking more air to engine ,, no help . i have messed with timing , adding fans , change to hi flow water pump . changed pulley size , made a bigger shoud for fan ,, added stuff to rad fluid ,, raped headers with heat tape , added cooler to engine oil , used rad bag on front of rad ,, run with out therostat ,, all this kinda helped but not with big gains ,, i regeared diff gears and went with under drive transfer case and ...wow cooling fight was over , hope this saves you time money and sleepless night

Thanks for input! However, if I regear any lower, I will not be able to drive over 10mph..

Last Online
    February 29th, 2016
    4x4
    1985 4Runner
    User Name
    4Runninfun
    Real Name
    Jon
    Thanks Given

Molley previously posted:
    "i might of missed it but are you running a clutch fan ? if so maybe just switch for solid .."

I don't know about ZJ's, however I know that the Disco I's have a known issue with their clutch fans. should be a cheap swap, and possible fix.

It is a clutch fan

Last Online
    October 16th, 2013
    4x4
    2009 Jeep JK Unlimited Rubicon
    User Name
    rudycon
    Real Name
    Stephen
    Thanks Given

Default Re: electric fan excellent controller

I ran a lincoln mark VIII (taurus) fan on my 4runner. No mechanical fan at all (The "fake water pump" fan bracket on the 3.0 cost more than going all electric.)

I wound up with a DCControls fan controller after talking to the Mustang guys in Arizona (hot down there!)
    http://www.dccontrol.com/constant_te...ontrollers.htm

There are 3 wires on the Ford fan itself. ground, low and high speed. I used the low speed wire. 10 gage wiring was fine.

The auto parts store hayden fan thermostat and relay didn't last more than a year.
    I ended up with a dc controls pulse width modified fan controller. These are built in the USA. Thermistor was on the cold side of the radiator. The hotter the coolant got, the faster the fan would run.

The fan would rarely run on the highway. It would run slowly in town traffic and sometimes it would kick up a bit faster on the trail, but never to the full howl you hear on the taurus next to you in traffic on i-25 with the AC on. Sooooo much less noise than the guys with the aftermarket black magic pancake fans on running flat out all the time. Flip on the AC and the DCControls unit will run the fan about 10% faster and never stop running it either.

The DC controls unit never broke. I can't say it is waterproof, but it doesn't seem to mind general 4x4 use. It was easy to hook up and solid state. No relay to hang.

Another great fitting junkyard fan is the volvo electric fan. the shroud is a little bigger for a better fit than the taurus fan on a toyota.

link to the DC controls page.

http://www.dccontrol.com/constant_te...ontrollers.htm

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12