1990 Jeep Wrangler (YJ)
    User Name
    Jim
    Real Name
    Jim Williamson
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 3,023 Times in 2,011 Posts

Default How does a winch brake work?

The question of how a winch brake works has been rattling around my brain for a bit. I have seen exploded views of winch parts (and it looks like the brake is internal to the drum - between the motor output and the gearbox). I've seen mentioned that some brake designs are better for use with synthetic lines (the drum does not heat up - where's the brake at in those - the gearbox?).

How do the brakes work / what makes them apply & release?

Last Online
    August 9th, 2012
    User Name
    Brody
    Real Name
    Pete Brody

Hey Jim

It is a clutch style brake (planetary winches) usually with a spring, and four 4(Warn) brake pads (or a 'cone' style brake) that go on the main shaft engine side. Essentially, it is a one way brake, which is why it is so critical that the cable gets wound only one way. The pads/cone encompass the shaft and when the winch is reeling in the pads are loose on the shaft. When the shaft tries to go the opposite direction, the clutch/spring pushes on the pads causing them to compress on the shaft. Keep in mind, too, that the brakes are only rated to "hold" 50% of the rating.

Here is a link to the Warn 9.5 manual that has a bit more. Page 17, I think. This shows the 'cone' style rather than the 4 separate pads in the pictures. Both work on the same principle.:

http://www.tacomaterritory.com/~ccorley/Manuals,%20articles/Service_Manual_Work_Sheet_XD9.pdf

Here are pictures that show the pieces, if that helps.

Last Online
    3 Hours Ago
    4x4
    1990 Jeep Wrangler (YJ)
    User Name
    Jim
    Real Name
    Jim Williamson
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 3,023 Times in 2,011 Posts

Thanks Pete,

That helps greatly. They're much the same as the cone-pad brakes inside the rear wheel hub on a single speed bicycle. Your note and the PDF (pages 5 & 6) also explain why the cable should be wound in one direction - it's not to exit the fairlead properly but moreso for proper brake operation to keep the motor from over speeding during under-load winch out (vs in) rotation.

Scrolling through the PDF I also see how the free-spool/powered clutch operates via sliding the slide gear.