Front Range 4x4 Upcoming Trail Runs - Add a New Trail Run

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Auto Vs Manual

RidgeRunner previously posted:
    "My last rig was a '99 XJ with the AW4 auto and I liked it, mostly. For going up hill and rock crawling it was great, just drive up to an obstacle and press the gas 'till you climb it, no slipping/burning clutch. The down side is that I always had to ride the breaks going down hill, everywhere. Even in Moab, if I wasn't climbing, it seemed like I was always on the breaks.

My "new" rig is a '87 4Runner with a 5 spd and dual cases. Now I have to use the gas to go downhill and I love it.

I'd like to see what an auto with a 4:1 case behind it would do going down hill, the gears would help I think, but I don't know if it would be enough to keep your foot off the break pedal."

Looks like you need to go on a run with me =D I love my auto, downhill, in 4 low I also have to give it more gas cause I'm bored and almost standing still.. uphill, I can get out of my jeep and let the auto crawl up by itself =P

I also remember having to jump out of the way when Robyn started Robyn ing it down an obstacle at Chinaman Gulch! Almost got ran over there, just to have my foot ran over by Heather! Hmm both women both with stick shifts.. is that a coincidence??????????

Jk giving you crap ladies =)

Last Online
    August 9th, 2012
    User Name
    Brody
    Real Name
    Pete Brody

Hmm both women both with stick shifts.. is that a coincidence??????????

No, I think it is probably the reaction you get from women more than the manual or auto thing....

Last Online
    February 29th, 2016
    4x4
    1985 4Runner
    User Name
    4Runninfun
    Real Name
    Jon
    Thanks Given

Scrat previously posted:
    "I think it's pretty easy for me at least!

Sticks belong in cars, where you like to rip through the gears and go fast!
    Autos belong in trucks that haul, pull.

As for offroading, I don't have a preference. Frank was a stick, but the one I'm looking at is an auto with a 4 to 1 kit in it. Guess we'll see!"

I'm not so sure about all of that. If you have a sports car then the manual is more fun. However, the only car I have that I DON'T mind the auto is my benz. It's just a cheap commuter car and works well for that purpose. As for trucks ABSOLUTELY must be a manual. When towing with my Tacoma it gets annoying, the transmission is constantly hunting trying to find the "right" gear. And as it constantly shifts it frequently is very abrupt shifts that I'm sure aren't very good for the transmission. Another problem towing with automatics is heat. I have a scangauge that watches the ATF temps. While towing my 4Runner my Tacoma has plenty of power to do it, but with any sort of incline the tranny temps rise very quickly, and yes I have a transmission cooler. Just my observations and .02.

Last Online
    July 24th, 2016
    4x4
    2000 4runner Sport
    User Name
    Michael4rnr
    Real Name
    Michael
    Thanks Given

I have an auto and my dad runs a stick and i usually do a little better going on the up hills and the the really steep obstacles. But the sticks have done better going down hills. I use both.

Last Online
    March 1st, 2014
    4x4
    '87 Chevy V20
    User Name
    Popsgarage
    Real Name
    Jonathan E Epp
    Thanks Given

Manual, but that's just me!

Last Online
    December 19th, 2020
    4x4
    2008 FJ Cruiser/1982 FJ40
    User Name
    Rob
    Real Name
    Rob
    Thanks Given

Manual can be more challenging when crawling, unless you're geared lower like Pete's rig or have a hand throttle. But the more you get to know your rig, the less challenging it is. Still, I think manual has more advantages on the trail and off, as Pete pointed out many posts ago.

And, yes, both my rigs are manual and almost every vehicle I've ever owned was manual, so I'm a bit biased. Oh, yeah, and my wife's a longtime stick fan, too.

Last Online
    February 29th, 2016
    4x4
    1985 4Runner
    User Name
    4Runninfun
    Real Name
    Jon
    Thanks Given

DrOldUnit previously posted:
    " Oh, yeah, and my wife's a longtime stick fan, too."

RidgeRunner previously posted:
    " '99 XJ with the AW4 auto"

Should have given it to me, they the best year cherokee ever made!

thank you guys for the input!! I think for my next XJ I'm probably gonna hunt for a manual. And I don't mind burning the clutch out(not like I'm trying to) but I'd rather burn a clutch out then melt a clutch pack. clutches aren't bad to replace in the XJ's a DIY do it for $150(parts). Though, if I can't find a manual then I have no qualms getting an auto. It's the driving in rush hour that annoys me!!! Always having to shift from 1st to 2nd, barely making it to 3rd gear and bam your back down to first gear...auto would be nice in those times to just let it do the work. Shifting is fun and gives you something to do. I'll probably stick to stick(haha) unless it's a commuter pos car. Though!! when I had my '88 trans am with the 700r4 auto tranny in it, that thing could easily tear them tires loose, but that's a low end tranny used for pulling and trucks put in a car with tiny tires so yeah lmao.

Last Online
    December 19th, 2020
    4x4
    2008 FJ Cruiser/1982 FJ40
    User Name
    Rob
    Real Name
    Rob
    Thanks Given

Sunshine24 previously posted:
    "fixed it for ya Unit"

Moons? What, couldn't spell eons?

Last Online
    August 20th, 2014
    4x4
    2011 Ram 1500
    User Name
    RockyMtnHigh
    Real Name
    Jock
    Thanks Given

"What, couldn't spell eons?"

I think moons was appropriate in this case. Eons ago it was all manual, Pete had to push/pull the wheel back then!

Last Online
    February 28th, 2018
    4x4
    95' Bronco
    User Name
    Fordguy77
    Real Name
    Christopher
    Thanks Given

" Moons? What, couldn't spell eons?"

Are we going to have a Twilight Flashback now?

Last Online
    August 9th, 2012
    User Name
    Brody
    Real Name
    Pete Brody

Eons ago it was all manual, Pete had to push/pull the wheel back then!

Damn right. And that is the totally incorrect way to pull a wheel, BTW. It needs to be laying down flat. Don't you know anything?

Last Online
    April 5th, 2024
    4x4
    2021 Gladiator Diesel
    User Name
    Aaron
    Real Name
    Aaron Phillips
    Thanks Given

I had a 99 XJ once with an auto. I didn't wheel it much but I remember one time that tranny scared me shitless. We were driving down from Mt Evans in June and there was a hail storm that happened on the way down. There was over an inch of hail on the road and it got slick so I put the auto in low and stayed in 2wd. Well, that tranny has a funky low. Low is both 2nd and 1st and it gets to decide which one. Well, as I was coming down, I must have been in 2nd and once I got below 25 or so, it switched to 1st. Well, that was enough of a jerk on the rear tires that they broke loose and almost shot me off the side of the mountain...

Brown pants day.

Last Online
    April 14th, 2016
    User Name
    gm4x4lover
    Real Name
    Nicholas Boisvert
    Thanks Given

I shift my auto k5 just like it was a stick. Never had an issue of control with an auto. With gears just lock it in first and it wont shift out. Same with second. Makes technical climbs so much easier. Also none of that roll back before the clutch grabs. On steep crap it makes you less likely to flop it over as it is much smoother, fluid, and more controlled. Also makes for a more enjoyable trail ride. I do like manuals in other applications but for rock crawling an auto is the only way to fly.

Last Online
    May 25th, 2014
    4x4
    2000 Jeep Cherokee
    User Name
    trailfiend
    Real Name
    Alex
    Thanks Given

Only reason I wanted to get an auto with this latest vehicle is because I've driven home from the mountains too many times with a sprained ankle and hated using the clutch with it. Beyond that I really really miss the control I had on passes (highway) going up and down, I don't like not being in complete control of what gear I'm in regardless of where I'm driving. But it's also nice to be able to have any of my friends drive in case they need to without worrying about them not knowing how to drive a standard.

Despite all the benefits of the auto to me, not worrying about the clutch wearing, injury getting in the way of driving, others' being able to drive, and maybe because I wasn't the best at feathering it on rough terrain, I felt like when the road was rougher I'd lurch into/out of gear more so auto saves that... I still wish I had a standard (or maybe triptronic!) for the control and transmission gearing in the 5-speed on my Ranger was awesome IMO.

Dunno if that'll help your decision at all, but my biggest motivator was the injury aspect, beyond that the rest was manageable.

Last Online
    January 2nd, 2014
    4x4
    1988 Toyota Landcruiser (FJ62)
    User Name
    Mporter
    Real Name
    Matt
    Thanks Given

gm4x4lover previously posted:
    "I shift my auto k5 just like it was a stick. Never had an issue of control with an auto. With gears just lock it in first and it wont shift out. Same with second. Makes technical climbs so much easier. Also none of that roll back before the clutch grabs. On steep crap it makes you less likely to flop it over as it is much smoother, fluid, and more controlled. Also makes for a more enjoyable trail ride. I do like manuals in other applications but for rock crawling an auto is the only way to fly."

Same here, I've learned that I pretty much need to in order to do anything that might have a hill. That's why I'm going to put an auto behind whatever V8 I buy when I do the swap.

Had a 3 speed in the 1970 CJ5, well 12 forward and 4 reverse between the transmission, splitter and t-case. If the little goat had more leg room it would not have been so harsh on the knees. In 4 Lo (pointed up steep hills without the clutch pressed to the floor) I could start up and get rolling just by turning the ignition switch. It also helped going the other way when the brake drums were wet. 1st gear, lo, lo and it barely moved. The only advantage I've gained with an automatic is comfort. But comparing a 70 CJ5 to a JK is like comparing the Wright brothers to NASA.

I am a manual guy for the control you get. Most modern autos won't let you stick it in first and leave it there. The computer will still shift through the gears when it feels the time is right.

Last Online
    December 3rd, 2023
    4x4
    1990 Cherokee
    User Name
    Hypoid
    Real Name
    Mike
    Thanks Given

trailfiend previously posted:
    "my biggest motivator was the injury aspect"

That's me. If I get hurt, I can still drive with one foot, or have just about anyone drive it for me.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast