Front Range 4x4 Upcoming Trail Runs - Add a New Trail Run

Thread: dodge ram transfer case issues

Default dodge ram transfer case issues

Just did some work to the old Dodge & noticed a popping noise coming from the transfer case under a load & coasting or gear braking to a stop. Once a load is added it pops & works just fine. When its cruising or coasting it pops again. Sounds like a chain binding internally, thats the best I can guess at this point. This truck was totalled (hit in the left front) & I never really had the chance to try the 4wd until recently. It works fine in 4wd just making the noise. It only does this IN 4wd either HI or LO but not in 2wd so Im sure its the case causing the noise. Shafts seem to have even play to rear & front axles. Not planning on a teardown anytime soon, or at least until money allows. Whats my best play here? Serviceable? or just replace it? The 5 speed trans seems just fine.

Last Online
    August 9th, 2012
    User Name
    Brody
    Real Name
    Pete Brody

Help to know the year and model so that people can answer the transfer case issue better. Someone who is really familiar with Dodges may be well aware of the T case stuff, even if there isn't a year or model.

Why I be asking:

From 1988 to 1997 The NP231 and NV231 light duty, chain drive transfer cases were installed in Dakotas and some light 1/2 ton trucks.

Dodge W150 and W250 trucks (except Cummins Diesel models) from late 1987 to 1993 have the two speed, fixed rear output yoke, NP241, chain drive aluminum transfer case. All 1994-2002 Dodge 2500 and 3500, 4x4's are equipped with NV241 transfer cases and slip yoke type rear output shaft. Dodge 241's have a planetary low range ratio of 2.72:1. There were numerous design changes in the 241 during its production life making parts selection a bit tricky without the transfer case build tag. Starting in 1994, the stock 2500 transfer case was the NV241DLD (Dodge Light Duty). Optional on the 2500 and standard on the 3500 was the NV241DHD (Dodge Heavy Duty). 1999-2002 Ram 2500 and Ram 3500 4x4 trucks with the High-Output Cummins Diesel NV5600 6 speed transmission use the NV241DHD. 1994 to 2001 Ram 1500 models can have either a NP231, NP231HD, or NP241 transfer case depending upon the year, engine, and transmission combination.

The NP271 manual shift and NP273 electric shift, chain drive transfer cases are found in Ram 2500 and 3500 models effective for the 2003 model year. These transfer cases feature larger rear output shafts to handle the ever-increasing power of Dodge factory engines.

The redesigned 2003 Ram 1500 debuted with a re-worked NV241D transfer case that is not interchangeable with prior models.

You can have a gear drive, chain drive or mix....

Last Online
    November 12th, 2012
    4x4
    94 Ranger 4x4
    User Name
    Warrlord
    Real Name
    Larry
    Thanks Given

If it's a 241 t/case, the most likely problem is that the output shaft bearing snap ring is broken. It's a pretty easy fix if that's it. If you haven't driven it forever like that, the internals usually aren't damaged. Once the driveshaft is removed, just take out the four bolts (15mm hex) & you'll see it. The cover (extension housing) is resealed with RTV, no gasket. You'll need good strong snap ring pliers as the snap ring is thick & stubborn.

The snap ring retains the output shaft internally? So if its broken, it could slide rearward & draw the chain out of alignment causing this popping noise? Where do I get a printout of this thing? I really want to tear into it soon. How do I determine what model it is? Is there a tag on it or do I have to count splines to verify? Also, on another forum theres a problem solver to this snap-ring issue that involves a keyed couple ring in place of the factory snap ring. Anybody used this fix? Ill try & get it forwarded.

http://api.viglink.com/api/click?for...13285657780315 Looks to be a much better route than another flimsy snap ring.

Last Online
    November 12th, 2012
    4x4
    94 Ranger 4x4
    User Name
    Warrlord
    Real Name
    Larry
    Thanks Given

There should be a round thin metal tag (about the size of a silver dollar) on the back of the t/case. If it's a 241, it'll read 241D on yours. If not, it'll have different numbers identifying it.

Rocket Scientist previously posted:
    "Just did some work to the old Dodge & noticed a popping noise coming from the transfer case under a load & coasting or gear braking to a stop."

Reading your first sentence, I thought it made the noise all the time (2wd & 4wd). If the snap ring is broken, it'll make noise in both ranges. I just mentioned the most likely issue with these t/cases so your issue could possibly be something deeper inside since you indicated it does it in 4wd only. For no harder than it is to remove the tail shaft housing, go ahead & yank it off just to see if the snap ring is intact or not then you'll know if you'll need to yank the whole thing out or not. If the snap ring is broken, that "fix-it" kit looks to be a good solution.

Last Online
    July 16th, 2016
    4x4
    1988 K5 1999 MX5
    User Name
    Robert B
    Real Name
    Robert
    Thanks Given

hey man my dad and me are going with stretched chain .......it binds on itself and "pops" when it releases that bind.... fits the 4wd only thing also might be something to look at

Its a 241 DHD case. Ive also noticed a gear noise in 2WD at hwy speed, but no popping like it does in 4Hi or 4Lo. Maybe it is the snap ring. Ill dig into it this weekend or next. Got family coming in for a visit. I was going to replace the regular ATF with Amsoil synthetic ATF when I do this. Good idea or not?

Last Online
    August 9th, 2012
    User Name
    Brody
    Real Name
    Pete Brody

Some trannies are pretty damn picky about the ATF, so all I would do before replacing any fluids is to simply read all the propaganda to make sure everything is going to work fine. If you have any questions and can't find the answers on the Amsoil, simply shoot Marty (ROKTAXI) a PM or get a hold of him as he is an Amsoil dealer.