User Name
    Hypoid
    Real Name
    Mike
    Thanks Given

Default Junkyard run, 11/27/11

1freaky1 previously posted:
    "
    I can't believe we were in there that long, I had to leave around 2pm to get some sleep before work. I was there 5 hours and it sounds like you closed the place Jon. Mike came by for a bit before heading to the Aurora yard. I got some stuff for all 3 vehicles yesterday which was great, now to make time to install everything.

Anyone looking for Toyota 4runner parts they had 2 '93s in there that did not have a lot of missing parts. There was a few Rovers land and range. The range rovers have as I learned yesterday a radius arm set up similar the the older fords and thinking about someday doing a build using a pair of those, it also has a HUGE Hydro brakes block on the firewall that thing was simply humungous!

They had tons of Cherokees too of various years!
    "

I thought there would be another thread by now.

Anyway, I got to the Denver yard late, caught up with Sean and Jon, had a nice visit while we pulled a few parts for Jon. We checked out the new sets in the Chrysler section, discussed some parts on the Sean list.

I didn't take any pics of the guys, although, there was this bumper fail on a Cherokee. Someone put aftermarket tube bumpers on the stock mounts, which folded the unibody frame rail ends. This poor heep was trashed at both ends. It readily illustrates the need to ditch the stock mounts, if you want stronger bumpers.

Last Online
    December 3rd, 2023
    4x4
    1990 Cherokee
    User Name
    Hypoid
    Real Name
    Mike
    Thanks Given

I left the N. Denver yard to see what the Aurora yard had on the ground. Alas, no high steer knuckles for Sean.

There were a couple CJs, with their AMC 20 rear axles. There might be a 258 crank in one of them...maybe. There was a '95 YJ that was pretty well stripped. I didn't think to look for the steering box.

The Cherokees yielded a '97 TCU, filled with an unobtanium-alloy circuit board. There was one Cherokee with a Rusty's sticker in the window. Both axles were on the ground, all the springs were gone, no lower control arms. The people who were kind enough to do all that work, left the coil spacers for me. The manager didn't have a price for a "coil spring isolator," so they whacked me $3 each for exterior moldings.

There were a couple Yotas with solid front axles. What wasn't beat, was pretty well stripped. All the same, I was surprised to see this much left of the pickup.

Last Online
    December 3rd, 2023
    4x4
    1990 Cherokee
    User Name
    Hypoid
    Real Name
    Mike
    Thanks Given

Then again, that 4-Runner had some interesting things going on with the steering. Maybe people are afraid it will rub off...

Last Online
    August 31st, 2019
    4x4
    1978 Bronco
    User Name
    Cr33p3r
    Real Name
    Sean
    Thanks Given

Man that runner looks pretty bad as far as the fab work!

Last Online
    August 9th, 2012
    User Name
    Brody
    Real Name
    Pete Brody

HAHA....you should see the fab work on the one down the street from me. This one looks stellar compared to that. His is SO bad, that it deserves it's own page in the Scary Steering thread. Perfectly good waste of a 350EFI, too. I wouldn't drive his down the block...and he wheels it...and drives it to and from the trails....and thinks it is THE cat's ass...In fact, it looks like he used the Scary Steering site as a reference source and thought all the stuff posted on that site was good. Stacked blocks in the rear attached to some really classic stacked (no kidding) frame shackle hangers, stacked blocks on the front, etc. All cobbled together with just about the worst welds you can imagine.

Last Online
    December 3rd, 2023
    4x4
    1990 Cherokee
    User Name
    Hypoid
    Real Name
    Mike
    Thanks Given

You see some interesting things walking those isles.

One thing I forgot to include in my report, is that if you pay at one U-Pull yard, the reciept will get you in the other yard. I found that out Sunday, when the cashier in Aurora saw my stamp from the other yard. I still had the reciept in my bucket.

Last Online
    March 1st, 2014
    4x4
    '87 Chevy V20
    User Name
    Popsgarage
    Real Name
    Jonathan E Epp
    Thanks Given

Managed to find most of the stuff on Chris's (Scrat's) list. Dropped them off at Pete's this evening. Looked around for Juno's bag of fuses and relays, couldn't find it. Asked my kids if they saw it, they said no. Come to find out they forgot to add it to the bill and I forgot to grab the bag off the counter. Have been too damn busy to post a report. Last night my daughter and I put the replacement door handles in her S-10 that I picked up Sunday. She actually helped the whole time.

Last Online
    March 1st, 2014
    4x4
    '87 Chevy V20
    User Name
    Popsgarage
    Real Name
    Jonathan E Epp
    Thanks Given

They were not to receptive to the idea of giving us a group discount, but they did give me some 2 for 1 admission coupons. I forgot to drop them off at Pete's tonight. If anyone wants one or two, shoot me a PM.

Last Online
    April 6th, 2019
    4x4
    Toyota/Scout/Nissan
    User Name
    Patrolman
    Real Name
    Jeff
    Thanks Given

That 4Runner is super scary. The steering on those isn't terribly complex. I guess they couldn't afford the right parts. Some things just make you wonder.

Last Online
    August 31st, 2019
    4x4
    1978 Bronco
    User Name
    Cr33p3r
    Real Name
    Sean
    Thanks Given

Popsgarage previously posted:
    " Last night my daughter and I put the replacement door handles in her S-10 that I picked up Sunday. She actually helped the whole time."

That is great Jon, always nice when the kids get out there and learn as well as help.

Mike thanks for letting us know about getting into both locations with the receipt, always good to know.