Front Range 4x4 Upcoming Trail Runs - Add a New Trail Run

Thread: Jeep needs new seats- racing seats?

Last Online
    March 12th, 2015
    4x4
    1992 Jeep Yj
    User Name
    Talus
    Real Name
    John
    Thanks Given

Default Jeep needs new seats- racing seats?

Here is where I am: my current seats (Pro-car) are completely worn out. I need to either rebuild/ recover them or replace them. One thing to note is that I am on an ongoing quest of keeping my Jeep as light as possible- the existing seats weigh a ton! Replacing the existing seats with racing seats would remove some weight; however, being a daily driver, not sure if this is the way to go.

Just curious- does anyone here have experience with racing style seats mounted in their 4x4? If so, can you fill me in on the pros/ cons to them? Thanks!

Something similar to this:

Last Online
    August 9th, 2012
    User Name
    Brody
    Real Name
    Pete Brody

Sure. I have run various racing style seats in a number of different 4x4s, including my current heap. The very bottom line is that the cheaper the seat, the harsher the ride. Cheap seats basically suck. A lot of racing style seats, notably the cheaper good quality ones, have absolutely no adjustment on them except for back and forth. Spending the extra money on the same style seat as what you posted, but with the back adjustable is one of the better moves you can make. Also keep in mind your egress. The same seats that are built up on the sides and work great once you manage to wiggle your ass into them also mean that you have to raise yourself higher doing said wiggling...meaning that if you have already tagged your coconut getting into and out of your Jeep more than once, you will surely tag it a lot more often with the racing style seats.

That said, there are some non big name brand seats out there with all the adjustments you want for around the $200-250 range. The best seats out there almost double that. What do I have in mine now? A pair of junkyarded Rodeo seats that I picked up for $22 each.

Watch the adjustments, watch how far back the seat can go, and, if you do have the option, get at least one seat that will hinge all the way forward, much like your stock seat does. Access to the back of the Jeeps are hard enough with a 2 door and fighting to get into the back with seats that won't tilt is going to be something you will grow to hate.

Oh...one more thing: be aware that anything that is said to be 'universal mount' is going to require a fair amount of work to get to reach the 'universal mounting' state for your Jeep.

I have PRP Premier seats in my Disco and love them due to the fact that the sides are less intrusive than most
    http://www.prpseats.com/Products/12-...high-back.aspx

Last Online
    March 12th, 2015
    4x4
    1992 Jeep Yj
    User Name
    Talus
    Real Name
    John
    Thanks Given

Brody- Thanks for the info- very helpful! The pic I posted was just reference- not what I am seriously considering. The adjustment considerations that you mention does make sense- not worth saving a few dollars to ruin one's back! I wouldn't mind doing what you did- just go with junkyard seats, however, I don't want to go with heavy seats again like my current ones. I suppose some research may yield a good compromise between weight and fit.

As far as access to the rear seats, this shouldn't be a problem as I have the tilt-to-the-windshield type mounts under the passenger/driver seats that I plan on adapting to the new ones.

Last Online
    March 12th, 2015
    4x4
    1992 Jeep Yj
    User Name
    Talus
    Real Name
    John
    Thanks Given

Those Premier seats look good- I will take a closer look at them...

Last Online
    March 1st, 2014
    4x4
    '87 Chevy V20
    User Name
    Popsgarage
    Real Name
    Jonathan E Epp
    Thanks Given

Just got a pair of these from Robbie. Put them in my daughters S-10. Love 'em. Posted 'em under Sticky seats.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-G1159-2/