Front Range 4x4 Upcoming Trail Runs - Add a New Trail Run

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: High school 4x4 Club Jeep Build HELP !

Last Online
    June 26th, 2022
    4x4
    94' toyota PU, 89 yj
    User Name
    94ToyBear
    Real Name
    Adam
    Thanks Given

Default High school 4x4 Club Jeep Build HELP !

Hi all! Long story short: I am 1 of 3 high school automotive teachers for Denver Public Schools (DPS) at Career Education Center middle collage of Denver (CEC).
    I was thinking about making a 4X4 Club here at the school and have the perfect little Jeep for the job! It’s a 1995 Grand Cherokee 4x4 Auto with a 318.
    (Another long story short!) This Jeep/ Student shop car was broken in to damaged and vandalized. For some reason someone felt the need to bust out the stock AM FM radio, ripped the steering column and ignition, yanked the new battery out, and neatly took the catalytic converter too. This jeep is now pretty much useless to the students with out spending a bunch of money to get it back where it needs to be for teaching purposes. As I said earlier I work for DPS…. DPS will not pay for the parts to fix it! This leaves it to either go to the scarper OR turn it in to a low low budget mild trail rig! My guess is you want it to go the Scarper right??? haha just joking !
    This will be a student build with me watching over and helping them out. I was thinking a rig with 32’s or even 33’s would a good tire size. Something for off road only and will most likely be a trailer queen due to insurance reasons. Also students will be building this for them self to drive! So they don’t need anything to big.
    Us being a Non-Profit organization and it being a “ low low budget build” the student and my self will be looking for “Low low” price parts and even donated parts ( tax deductible).
    Any advice, hint, tips, or words will be much appreciated!
    Thanks
    Adam Florez

Last Online
    December 3rd, 2023
    4x4
    1990 Cherokee
    User Name
    Hypoid
    Real Name
    Mike
    Thanks Given

Sorry about the vandalism. I'll cross post this on another board, pics of the damage might help.

its a great idea! but, im afraid you wont be able to let them drive it offroad for insurance purposes! not legally anyway. think, dumb kids doing dumb stuff. someone gets hurt, they will come after you!

but i support the idea, my class was the last year we had auto shop in district 50, they got rid of it for storage! bastards!

good luck!

Last Online
    December 3rd, 2023
    4x4
    1990 Cherokee
    User Name
    Hypoid
    Real Name
    Mike
    Thanks Given

Zukrider previously posted:
    "its a great idea! but, im afraid you wont be able to let them drive it offroad for insurance purposes! not legally anyway. think, dumb kids doing dumb stuff. someone gets hurt, they will come after you!"

I want to agree and disagree. Kids need opportunities to learn. Why not structure the opportunity to reinforce appropriate behavior?
    Liability is an issue to deal with, but I would be reluctant to give up without making inquiries.

BTW, I've passed a background check within the past few years. I'll keep an open mind to mentoring on a planned event.

Well... I got parts... And ideas

I would love to help out with this build! Hell, I'm already excited! Oh yeah, and I took a class there before =P

that sounds like an awesomne idea!! You can turn it into pretty decent offroading vehicle just by putting some tires on it. If you scavenge the junkyard you can prolly find A LOT of parts to lift the vehicle. you can get battery from a junkyard for like $25.. if you can get some lift springs for the front or a 2" spacer and swap the front springs to rear you can lift it. Need some shocks. I think ford shocks are long enough for the jeep with 2" lift... you will have to check. The biggest thing is the junkyard. You can usually find some good used tires around. or a V8 thunderbird hard to find can work for front springs. I can think of a lot more things for an XJ, but that's a start. will get you a lift and tires for pretty cheap, and a battery. ignition is a lil different. lil bit pricier. Matt gots quite a few stock parts for it as well.

stock and aftermarket. springs shocks spacers trackbars axles shafts sway bars.. lights.. loads of stuff. front to rear swap on springs will get you 3.5 inch lift. with some minor trimming to the bumper and fender wells in the rear you can run 32s or even 33 (more trimming) just fine. i might have teraflex front coils 4 inch i dont remember if i gave those away or not but i have a few diff. sets. its cloggin up my garage lol

Last Online
    June 26th, 2022
    4x4
    94' toyota PU, 89 yj
    User Name
    94ToyBear
    Real Name
    Adam
    Thanks Given

Hypoid previously posted:
    "Sorry about the vandalism. I'll cross post this on another board, pics of the damage might help"

Thank you very much.! fyi all together the damage to all the cars(about 10 cars) was 15 grand !

Last Online
    June 26th, 2022
    4x4
    94' toyota PU, 89 yj
    User Name
    94ToyBear
    Real Name
    Adam
    Thanks Given

Zukrider previously posted:
    " wont be able to let them drive it offroad for insurance purposes! not legally anyway. think, dumb kids doing dumb stuff. someone gets hurt, they will come after you"

as long as the have a drivers llicense and writen concent from guardians i belive we can do this ill f=look in to it more.

Last Online
    June 26th, 2022
    4x4
    94' toyota PU, 89 yj
    User Name
    94ToyBear
    Real Name
    Adam
    Thanks Given

mattzj98 previously posted:
    "I would love to help out with this build! Hell, I'm already excited! Oh yeah, and I took a class there before =P"

THANK YOU ! I got to run it by the kids this will be there build ! what do you got ? allso what class did you take ?

Last Online
    June 26th, 2022
    4x4
    94' toyota PU, 89 yj
    User Name
    94ToyBear
    Real Name
    Adam
    Thanks Given

thank you VERY MUCH !
    ill keep it all in mind and this was the way i was thinking it would be built. noting to fancy just FUN !

Last Online
    June 26th, 2022
    4x4
    94' toyota PU, 89 yj
    User Name
    94ToyBear
    Real Name
    Adam
    Thanks Given

" its cloggin up my garage"

well we got the garage with space ! thank you ! ill have to get you you sometime soon !

Last Online
    June 26th, 2022
    4x4
    94' toyota PU, 89 yj
    User Name
    94ToyBear
    Real Name
    Adam
    Thanks Given

Hypoid previously posted:
    "pics of the damage might help."

you mean post the pic of the damage of the jeep ? ill be happy to !! ill try n get it on here monday

I took emergency dispatch cert. There with Stacy Hervey

Last Online
    June 26th, 2022
    4x4
    94' toyota PU, 89 yj
    User Name
    94ToyBear
    Real Name
    Adam
    Thanks Given

"I took emergency dispatch cert. There with Stacy Hervey"

ohhh nice ! she there still ! what year did you go? i to went to cec for 3 years in auto.

Last Online
    June 26th, 2022
    4x4
    94' toyota PU, 89 yj
    User Name
    94ToyBear
    Real Name
    Adam
    Thanks Given

dose anyone have any ideas how to fund raise for this !?? i got a few but 2 or more minds are better then one ! Thanks !

my sister works for DPS administration. Tell her to cut funds for other schools and direct them towards the jeep

Last Online
    November 21st, 2023
    4x4
    4Runner
    User Name
    Chris
    Real Name
    Chris
    Thanks Given

I suggest you get donations from local shops for a raffle truck. When the students have built it with the donated goodies you raffle it off. If every HS kid that wanted a built Jeep bought a ticket I think you'd find yourselves pretty well funded going forward. Everyone likes to be able to say they helped HS kids.

id buy a few. I wanna see that ZJ wheeling!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast