December 19th, 2020
    4x4
    2008 FJ Cruiser/1982 FJ40
    User Name
    Rob
    Real Name
    Rob
    Thanks Given

Actually, I have two grease guns and both have grease in them. Can't say if it's the right grease, though.

Last Online
    August 9th, 2012
    User Name
    Brody
    Real Name
    Pete Brody

Looking good so far! Nice and new looking!

Anyone live by me and going over to Bruce's is welcome to stop and borrow a grease gun. Home from Ash and Karla's(and the dogs) in an hour or two..

Last Online
    October 29th, 2013
    4x4
    1984 FJ 60
    User Name
    EldoradoFJ60
    Real Name
    Bruce
    Thanks Given

Rob and Joe came over this morning to lend a hand with putting things together. Couldn't have done it without them.

The new wiper seal we couldn't figure out how to put on.

SST made out of an old tie rod for pounding in wheel studs.

Tightening things up.

And the last SNAFU. Forgot the hub gasket so I had to take it off. Been trying to get this snap ring back on without snap ring pliers. I have the zip tie to hold the axle with my teeth. But getting the ring apart has been a PITA. Hopefully I can get it back in and the brakes squared away tonight.

Last Online
    December 23rd, 2023
    4x4
    2006 Jeep LJ
    User Name
    Java
    Real Name
    Paul
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,788 Times in 1,261 Posts

the snap ring- find a socket that just barely fits or just barely doesn't fit over the end of your axle shaft. If you don't have one you can do it with a flat surface such as a flat piece of metal or a small chunck of 2x4. see where the end of the axle shaft tapers down at the end? put the snap ring on that surface, as much on the taper as possible. put the socket against it and hit it evenly with your hammer, the ring should spread and make it on the shaft.

if that doesn't work, put the snap ring in your vice with the open end up, and just the bottom of the ring opposite of the opening in the vice. Spread it using two vicegrips or whatever you can and put a big screwdriver sideways (or something) in the opening of the ring to keep it spread. carefully walk that out to the axle shaft without it popping off the screwdriver and see if you can't slide it on.

another thought, remember the way the old seals from the back of the knuckle came off, they were a bigger ring that had an opening and you had to twist them a little- I wonder if you could put the snap ring on the end of the shaft and put one end over the shaft by twisting it, then the other?

Last Online
    October 29th, 2013
    4x4
    1984 FJ 60
    User Name
    EldoradoFJ60
    Real Name
    Bruce
    Thanks Given

Well I got the ring back on.

But now it's thundering and pouring rain. Brakes will have to wait until tomorrow. This will give me a chance to order a caliper rebuild kit from Checker.

dude, your calipers are fine. dont rebuild them. it may cause issue you would otherwise not have. it was nice to meet you, and im glad i could help. hats off to Rob, he was the hero of the day!

Last Online
    December 23rd, 2023
    4x4
    2006 Jeep LJ
    User Name
    Java
    Real Name
    Paul
    Thanks Given

x2 on don't rebuild the calipers- if they're fine leave them, and if not just buy a rebuilt one, they are a PITA to rebuild and not too muchof a savings to do it yourself. it also opens up the whole bleeding can of worms which is super fun by yourself. the front calipers both looked fine to me and were functioning when they came off, as did your pads and rotors (althought I do get the wisdom of replacing the rotors while it's all apart). I'd put them back and run it, see how it feels before rebuilding them. they're easy enough to revisit later anyway, two bolts and the pins and you're there.

the pics from today look great, you did a bang up job cleaning / rebuilding it!

Last Online
    August 9th, 2012
    User Name
    Brody
    Real Name
    Pete Brody

What Joe said on the calipers...

Sorry I didn't get you call earlier which was probably about the snap ring issue. I was working and making too much noise to hear the phone.

I just use two small flat head screwdrivers to get the ring back on and have never had any problems doing it that way. I also use the same two small flat heads to take them off.

Glad to hear that it got fixed fine. Looked to the west and wondered how you guys were doing. Looked really wet....

Last Online
    October 29th, 2013
    4x4
    1984 FJ 60
    User Name
    EldoradoFJ60
    Real Name
    Bruce
    Thanks Given

The caliper rebuild doesn't really involve much. Just new o rings for the pistons. Don't have to take the caliper apart.

Last Online
    December 19th, 2020
    4x4
    2008 FJ Cruiser/1982 FJ40
    User Name
    Rob
    Real Name
    Rob
    Thanks Given

Zukrider previously posted:
    "he was the hero of the day"

Huh? You did most of the work and had most of the knowledge. I was just keeping the sun off you guys.

Last Online
    June 25th, 2017
    4x4
    1987 Land Cruiser
    User Name
    ColoRaider
    Real Name
    Robbie
    Thanks Given

wow.. how did I miss this thread..... Well, if anyone else attempts this I would be happy to help, and I have all of the tools(drifts, sockets, scales etc) This was the first thing i did with my rig. Man I wish I would have seen this, it would have been nice to have an excuse to take a break from school work...

Last Online
    November 21st, 2023
    4x4
    4Runner
    User Name
    Chris
    Real Name
    Chris
    Thanks Given

My apologies for bailing on you guys leaving you w/o my supervision though it sounds like Rob covered for me quite well. Barb & I took off Thursday for Buena Vista to test our "new" popup and things went so well we just got home today.

Last Online
    February 28th, 2018
    4x4
    95' Bronco
    User Name
    Fordguy77
    Real Name
    Christopher
    Thanks Given

Hopefully when i tear into mine this next month things will go as smooth as yours did

Last Online
    December 23rd, 2023
    4x4
    2006 Jeep LJ
    User Name
    Java
    Real Name
    Paul
    Thanks Given

Brody previously posted:
    "I just use two small flat head screwdrivers to get the ring back on and have never had any problems doing it that way. I also use the same two small flat heads to take them off."

the passenger side wouldn't work with my snap ring pliers, the opening in the ring on that side was a little larger than the drivers side and the pliers were too far on thier arc to open the ring, they slipped off and we ended up using two screwdrivers to take it off... but it was a really butch minute or two, can't really say there was any technique to it, we just spread the ring and shoved the screwdrivers under it until it popped. pretty sure there was some hammer in there too. I'd love to refine that, how do you do it with the screwdrivers?

and Bruce, are you done with it?

Last Online
    October 29th, 2013
    4x4
    1984 FJ 60
    User Name
    EldoradoFJ60
    Real Name
    Bruce
    Thanks Given

Just got back from a test drive. Got the brakes back on and torqued the lug nuts and hubs. Did some parking lot circles in both directions and everything seems fine. The annoying "tink" noise I was getting whenever I tapped the brake pedal is gone.

It definitely feels "different". Got home and retorqued the lug nuts and gave everything a once over. Tomorrow on lunch break I'll tighten down everything again. I will need to find a good method for pumping more grease into the knuckles. I only put 2 quarts of fluid in the diff. I wanna mix up some of the remaining sludge, drain it and refill later this week.

Last Online
    December 23rd, 2023
    4x4
    2006 Jeep LJ
    User Name
    Java
    Real Name
    Paul
    Thanks Given

I bet it feels different! Probably better than new with all the high-end parts you got. The only way I know to fill the birf is to take out the square plug on top and pump away with a grease gun. I guess if ones not handy you could also "pastry chef" some into it with a plastic bag with a corner cut off... that may be a stupid idea...

Last Online
    July 16th, 2016
    4x4
    1988 K5 1999 MX5
    User Name
    Robert B
    Real Name
    Robert
    Thanks Given

Java previously posted:
    "I guess if ones not handy you could also "pastry chef" some into it with a plastic bag with a corner cut off... that may be a stupid idea..."

thats actually good if you just have a tub of grease ...scoop it into the bag and "pipe" away

Last Online
    August 9th, 2012
    User Name
    Brody
    Real Name
    Pete Brody

we ended up using two screwdrivers to take it off... but it was a really butch minute or two, can't really say there was any technique to it, we just spread the ring and shoved the screwdrivers under it until it popped. pretty sure there was some hammer in there too. I'd love to refine that, how do you do it with the screwdrivers?

OK, I'll try to explain it where it makes sense as I just did it on my heap yesterday when I replaced the rotors and pads.

The screwdrivers are small, both about the size of ones you would work on computers with, and are flat heads. I take the edge of one, slide it into the spline on the axle near the opening of the snap ring. I get it under the ring where I can raise the ring a little, and slide the other under the ring. With a little finesse, you can then pop the ring off. Installation is more or less the reverse: tilt the snap ring onto the end of the axle shaft a little bit, slide one of the screw drivers under the higher side close to the open part of the ring, pry gently, and the ring should snap back onto the shaft. This is actually the harder part as there is a 'sweet spot' where this works really well.

I hope this explains it well enough. I have always had problems finding the 'right' set of snap ring pliers that will work in that tight space and hold well enough on greasy slippery stuff.

Last Online
    October 29th, 2013
    4x4
    1984 FJ 60
    User Name
    EldoradoFJ60
    Real Name
    Bruce
    Thanks Given

The bag idea is perfect. I was going to use a big syringe. A bag will work better I think.

Last Online
    April 25th, 2014
    User Name
    edog
    Real Name
    Erik
    Thanks Given

I have a grease gun and am local, I use it to pump grease into my birfs which should be comparable. Hit me up if you would like to borrow, I am around all week.

Erik

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast